Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are you a demo (for any of the companies: SU, TAC, CTMH?

When you became a demo what made you decide to sign on? Any regrets?

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm a demo with SU. The first time I stamped I fell in love! I started mostly to get the discount, but then I found out how exciting it was to share! So now I'm spreading the love! I have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Default For my daughter

I am a demonstrator with Stampin' Up! I signed up in order to run Kids Stamp Camps for my daughter and her friends from her Girl Scout troop. We would meet one Sunday a month and create two cards, a gift project and a 6x6 scrapbook page.

The scrapbooking was the most important aspect to me because I wanted to teach them how to preserve their memories. So now they have an album filled with birthdays, 5th grade Moving Up Day, etc.....

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:32 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Pia,

I love the SU! products so much, I signed up for the discount. I've done a few workshops, and my only regret is that I don't know more stampers. I met all my stamping friends through my upline. I am still as excited about the products and company as I was 3 years ago. Are you considering becoming a demonstrator?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:34 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I too am a demo with SU!. I started a little over a year ago mostly for the discount.

I regret not joing sooner for the discount since I had purchased a lot of stuff from them in the year before joining.

I've demoed a bit but more so to meet new people then anything else. I tend to give out a lot of prizes or offer sales which pretty much negates the 'instant income'. I think I loose more then I make ;) i do it for fun not for the income.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I have been a SU demo for 6 years and in those 6 years, moved 4 times. SU has offered me a way to meet new people and connect with a crafting group in whatever new town we are in. SU is a great product and I have enjoyed being part of a good company.
Nancy
http://crazystampinwomen.typepad.com/crazystampinwomen/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I'm a SU! demo too, I signed up because I loved their stamps and I wanted the discount. I don't regret it, i've mainly done clubs and its a great night spent with friends. I just wish I had more time to craft.

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another SU demo. I moved states and since I spending quite a bit, I decided to just sign up and get the discount. Plus I had several people in my new location asking where I got the stuff I used on my cards, this way, I could sell to them.

I don't have any regrets. I can always drop when I want to and resign later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I signed up 12 years ago for the discount! Over the years my business has changed- at this point I work part time as a demo- I love sharing stampin' with others and I enjoy crafting. Getting a discount is still a great benefit of being a demo- Stampin' Up! has awesome products and I love them!

Check my blog :http://www.ddstamps.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I was in a card club for years, and finally decided I wanted to go in a different direction... After much research (pros & cons), I signed up with CTMH. That was 5 years ago, and I love it!!! I chose CTMH because I love their how-to programs, and back then, the stamps came pre-assembled. I admit, I was a little scared when we went all acrylic, but I and my customers love the clear stamps! In fact, I can't go back, no matter what. I have really gotten out of my comfort zone, traveled by myself for the first time ever, and feel comfortable talking to strangers about stamping and scrapbooking... You'd be surprised how many people do one or the other, men and women... I have met some amazing people, and I do make money, but I was just happy with the discount at the beginning. Please don't let your fear stop you from trying it, if you are debating it. I know I won't ever be the top sales person in the country, but just having CTMH in my life has made a tremendous difference for me!!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a TAC Demo and I joined because first, I love unmounted stamps and second, I love getting the discount!

Strickly hobby, but enjoy swapping discounts with other demos. We all love our stamping, that's why we are all here on SCS!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been an SU demo for 7.5 years. I signed up not just for the discount, but so I could make enough money to spend on stamping supplies without drawing from my family budget...and to possibly make a little extra. Goals accomplished. I also did it to get out of the house. I had a 3-year-old and a 6-month-old at the time. The 3-year-old has Asperger's (not diagnosed at the time) and the younger one has autism (also not diagnosed at the time). Stamping was my life-line. I got to get out and share my love of stamping and SU products with others at the same time.

One of the things I love most is being an upline. I do wish I'd recruited more in the beginning. Not for the money (I don't make that much off them since they are mostly hobby), but for the comraderie.

I love it more now than when I signed, and I loved it a lot back then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I became a Stampin' Up! demo because my best friend in St. Louis was one. When I would go visit her all I wanted to do was stamp or look at her swaps and projects. When she went to her first Convention in Kansas City, all I could think about was that it would probably be fun to be there with her, not even fully understanding what Convention was about. Funny thing is, at the same time we were on a family vacation to Zion Natl Park and other places around there and actually stayed or drove through Kanab, UT I believe on the way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and didn't even know it had a SU connection! After she went to Convention, she told me if I signed up we could go together the next year, so I did and we did! I don't have a big business but I enjoy the customers I have and the new ones I have met who have become friends as well as meeting other demos. It's a great way to meet very nice people...and have fun at the same time!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a CTMH consultant, have been for 3 years now. I do it for the discount (duh!) but also because I really love teaching others how to stamp and make cards, it's really rewarding. And I love,love, love their clear stamps! Plus a little extra money (what I don't spend on stamps) is nice too!
No regrets here.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

i'm a tac demo, and i love the discount! i'm strictly a hobby demo, and TAC has minimums that are easier to meet than the other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed up three years ago as a SU demo, mainly for the discount. Like I told my DH, if I am going to buy it, I might as well get the discount! I had planned on doing it mostly as a hobby, but after a few events, I have found that I love doing my stamp camps and just started a stamp club, which has been so much fun.(At least it is for me, hopefully my group thinks so too!) I am naturally a very shy person so this was a way to challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone a bit. I have found that I love it more than I thought I ever would. I have made so many new friends since I have started and I have such a talented, caring group of girls to get together with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I signed up three years ago October because my friend who'd been stamping with me wanted to have a workshop and our demo wasn't available. I said, "I can do that"; my friend said, "Do it"; and I did!

I must say I really enjoy it and have made some great friends through my Stampin' Up! demoship.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I became an SU! demo two years ago and NO regrets here! I bought the starter kit because it was a great deal nevere intending to hold a workshop! All it took was one and I was hooked! Just love it...love the craft, sharing it, and most of all, the relationships that have formed through my involvement with SU!
My SCS Gallery
ink and inspirations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I became a demo because I LOVE SU porducts and I get a discount now! Also I do a monthly card class so I get to have all my friends together and have fun.

IT ROCKS TO BE A DEMO!!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
When you became a demo what made you decide to sign on? Any regrets?

At the time I join "The Angel Company" in 2004. I had been in a Buyers club and really liked what I was buying. The Stamps were Great and the styles were too.
Also when I joined TAC, We had 3 choices of Starter kits. Since I had been buying stamps and supplies. I already had what I needed to start.

So I purchase just the Business Supplies. for $75.00

Plus at the time, I was working only part-time and had the time to sell and do workshops and such.

I love what I'm doing as a Demo! No regrets at all. I've meet a lot of very wonderful people. And shared a lot of wonderful ideas with them too.

I also purchase and use Stamps and supplies from Stampin' Up! as well as other companies.

I also wanted to mention that I didn't join just for the Discounts!

Althougth this is a good perk.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I became a dem for SU for the discount. That was 2 years ago. I have never held a class or stamp club. couldn't get the interest for it from others. Sadly, I am going into pending after this month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I've been a demo for TAC for 1 1/2 years.

I've tried other companies but the support from TAC and other Angels is bar none to any other. The minimums are the best and obtainable. You aren't treated any different if you teach classes/workshops or if you are just doing it as a hobby.

For me being a demo for TAC is more that just selling stamps and scrapbooking materials. It's about teaching and helping people with a craft that they love or would like to learn more about. It's also about letting people come as they are no matter their past or status and allowing them to be a part of something that I feel is a WONDERFUL group of people.

It doesn't hurt that I LOVE the unmounted stamps and designs too!

No regrets what-so-ever!!
Michele ~ Creative Consultant #3733 ~ The Angel Company
http://michele.ismyangel.net OR http://www.angelmichele.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Red face My Story . . .

I was Creative Memories consultant for 4.5 years. When I started I was so passionate about the mission and the company. I went to my last convention last year and have deactivated. In the beginning consultants felt a need to keep a supply of current products on hand for our customers. Needless to say I ended up with a lot of inventory. Now Creative Memories has the option of ordering off a consultant's website and the consultants no longer have to carry an inventory. Creative Memories is also into Digital Scrapbooks and Picture Framing. There was a lot to learn in a relatively short time frame and I was not all that enthused about going back to "school". So I decided to let my "business" go. Actually, I couldn't call it a business because I lost money every year. Buying the latest catalogs and business supplies became very expensive. I also found that the more customers I had, the less time I had to work on my own personal albums, and that was something I really enjoyed doing and missed. Also, while I was a consultant I discovered Stampin' Up and card making. I was having a lot of fun making cards for family and friends and having a completed project within minutes (most of my albums are still "in process"). Now I am a very good customer for several SU Demos. Once upon a time I also tried selling Mary Kay cosmetics for about 2 years. I found that I was not really suited to sales and makeup in particular. I thought my daughter would like the MK discount, but even she tired of it and so that too was dropped. I guess what I am trying to say is that you should really make sure that you love working with people, love whatever product you are selling, and are willing to use that product exclusively. Sometimes that is the hardest lesson for a new demo/consultant to learn. Then you have to be able to talk about your product without making people feel bad about what they are currently using/doing. Sometimes we are so passionate about our product that we come across as putting others down for not using it or using something different. Realizing that there is not just one product that will work for everyone is important too. And be prepared to maybe lose some money in the first couple of years or so especially if you want to do hotel/weekend crops/workshops. I wish you luck with your decision whatever it is. Keep coming to SCS, these ladies are a wealth of information and assistance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #24  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I signed up with SU 2-1/2 years ago to make money and to feel like I belonged to something outside of my family and church. I did run it as a business for just under 2 years and made great money at it, but last fall my husband started working more due to a promotion (and I never knew how late or on which days!) and it was difficult to schedule events (we have 3 girls who require watching). Being a business demo wasn't fun anymore and since I didn't need the income from being a demo, I quickly stopped doing events and have been a hobby demo ever since.

I stay on because I enjoy the perks and I still love being a part of the SU family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I signed on as a SU demo several years ago. I did do it for the discount and never held a workshop. I had trouble keeping up with the minimum and dropped it.

Next I signed on with Top line creations also just for the discount. I never did a party with this company either. The minimum was certainly doable but after awhile there was nothing to hold my interest.

Almost two years ago I signed on with The Angel Company. I love it. I do parties as often as I can. I don't know a lot of people but am slowly building my customer base. The minimums have always been meet by the very few parties I do. I love teaching and sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

SU for me too! Still wet behind the ears and really enjoying every moment so far, I am taking it slower. Getting enough goodies to keep rolling for the first quarter. Hopefully all my prospects will be and happy customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I'm a hobby demo for SU to get the discount. Been doing it for over 5 years now - off and on. I just love the quality of their products and I'm too cheap to pay full price. Besides I LOVE having the inside info early. Such fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

I became a demo for SU almost 5 years ago and have no regrets. I love their product! I was a very good customer of a couple different companies before I became a demo. I became a demo because I love the art and designing and I wanted access to products and ideas as soon as they were available. I hold monthly mclasses and have a small but faithful group of people who attend. I have been lucky enough to be able to support my stamping habbit (including stamping trips to stamp and scrap.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

I signed up with CTMH when they came out with their acrylix. Loved the ease of acrylic stamps and that helped me decide CTMH over SU.

Now that I learned how to use the rubber stamps, I've fallen in love with SU as much as I did with CTMH.

I guess SU is more my style, but once I quit CTMH, I won't do another direct sales company (trust me, I've been in quite a few direct sales companies).

No regrets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 02:46 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I signed up to be a TAC demo a couple of months ago, and I love it! Even though I'm a hobby demo, the support from TAC and my upline (Hey Chris!!!) has been fantastic! I signed up for the discount, but have gotten a pretty good customer base with my friends. I work 60 plus hours a week as an EMT, so doing the business side is not an option for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:13 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I love to stamp, and when I got started with the craft, all I knew about was SU! I went to several parties thru good friends of mine. I never signed on with them, but loved the product. Then I kept hearing of acrylic stamps, with the blocks. Actually right here, on SCS...I met up with a lady named Rita....(Hi Rita!!) and she sent me a sample of the product. It was love at first sight, and I'm now a TAC ANGEL!! The minimums are very do-able for me, and I love the company! Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

I signed up to be a SU demo almost two years ago for two reasons -- first because my best friend moved out of state and let her demoship lapse, and second, because I was looking for a way to support/offset what I was spending on crafting. I have gotten so much more out of it than I ever dreamed! I have made such wonderful friends and found a way to earn some extra money and a lot of free stuff from Stampin' Up.

Sign me,
Happy to be a Stampin' Up Demo!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Ok, I have been a demo for SU, TAC and now CTMH. I started out with SU. My friend introduced me to them and I loved their stamps. I signed up to get the discount. When I had everything I wanted, I dropped. I missed being part of a group so I signed up with TAC. There I found my love of unmounted stamps. When stamps are in cd cases you can have a lot more. I did not like the DCWV paper that TAC sold and when they came out with their new catalog I did not like their stamp style so I dropped.
I then just started buying around. Found how much I like clear stamps. I love PTI and CTMH. I decided to sign up for CTMH. If you want a 20% discount you must sell $300 a quarter. If you want to be a jr consultant with a 10% discount, you just need to buy one thing every year. I will be with CTMH forever with that policy.

I still love SU, but until they go unmounted I won't be buying more stamps for them. I am trying to vote with my feet for what I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been a hobby demo for lots of different companies but I'll stick to commenting about the ones the OP talked about,lol. I was a TAC angel for 6 years and loved it. Then their stamp style and focus changed, and I switched to CTMH just recently. It wasn't a business decision at all, just a personal one. I like to be with the company that I spend the most money with,lol, and it was time for a change. As for SU, I am just too cheap to put all that money into wood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I signed up with SU for the discount as well. Well, that, and my demo was moving. I had been a good customer of hers for about 5 years, holding a couple of parties a year. I've been a demo for almost two years now, and I have absolutely no regrets. I loved convention, and I love getting together with my upline. I teach high school, and am way too busy during the school year to think about making this a business. Still, I love stamping and making cards, so being involoved with the group makes me find time to stamp. My sister is my only customer, so she gets my discount as well. It also gives us a reason just to get together for an afternoon to talk and play. All in all, a great decision. Now, if I only had a bigger house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #36  
BA
Polyshrink Goddess

I too am a Stampin' Up! demo for 5 years now. The REAL reason I signed up to be a demo was to attend Convention! I signed up in April and 2 weeks later was able to register for my first convention! I also liked that I was getting a discount on all the product (which I think is some of the best out there)!

I really have been branching out on the class offerings more and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I love meeting new people and getting to know customers better. For me it is my social life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #37  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I love to stamp, and when I got started with the craft, all I knew about was SU! I went to several parties thru good friends of mine. I never signed on with them, but loved the product. Then I kept hearing of acrylic stamps, with the blocks. Actually right here, on SCS...I met up with a lady named Rita....(Hi Rita!!) and she sent me a sample of the product. It was love at first sight, and I'm now a TAC ANGEL!! The minimums are very do-able for me, and I love the company! Karen
Just want everyone to know that all theTAC stamps I have purchased are high-quality rubber, not acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Like so many others, 7+ years ago I signed up with Stampin' Up! to get the discount and hopefully hold enough workshops to "support my habit" My business has grown beyond thos humble beginnings and I have never looked back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

I was a demo for SU!, I resigned and I am now a consultant for CTMH-because I scrapbook and CTMH really caters to scrapbookers. I like their designer paper and I like the fact that it comes with cardstock that coordinates. I also love the place ment of acrylic stamps and the ease of storing them. I un-mounted all my SU stamps, and used them, but it is just handier to use the acrylic and I can do a title without getting a back ache from trying to get the letters lined up!! I do like the SU! cardstock, so I can now mix and match. I also like the ink pads better, just because they are easier to store on my desk. They neatly stack one on top of the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

I signed up for the friendships. I wanted to meet people that enjoyed the same Hobby as mine. I have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Likes