Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2005, 01:58 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is this happening when I stamp?

I hope I can describe this properly.

When I ink up my stamp, I turn the stamp over to make sure the ink has covered everywhere. I notice that some places there is less ink than others. On stamps that have more flat surface areas I can see the texture of the pad on there, too. This might be cool, but it's not everywhere on the stamp and I don't want texture on everything that I stamp!

Is this because I don't have enough ink on my stamp? Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to get any more ink than that, even if I try a different part of the pad or even if I pat the stamp pad repeatedly.

I ended up stamping my image and then filling it in with a blender pen, but it doesn't seem like I should have to do that.

Any ideas? TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Are you repeatedly tapping the stamp around on the pad? When i get the texture of the pad showing up on a more solid stamp I swirl it while i tap it and that seems to help.

As far as the not good ink coverage...is your pad sagging? Some people have posted re: this issue.....If so use the "higher" parts to ink your stamps. Another idea is to set you stamp wood side down on the table and tap the ink pad on to the stamp....

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I hope i can help-

do you erase your stamps before you use them. I always take a pink eraser or jeans (if I am lazy) and erase them to expose the rubber.

after erasing clean your stamps. (only erase before first use).

when inking i twist my stamps in the pad.

as my little guy says. Stamp stamp twiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssttttttt

this helps with the texture. it kinda makes it smoother.

try that if it doesn't help them maybe someone else has a better solution.
as always i look for easier methods.

it will be interesting to hear what others do to prevent the textured effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Sometimes I rub the stamp across the pad. I have noticed with some of the original new stamp pads they kind of dip in the middle. Doing the inking up and then kind of wipe/rub across might help and blend away a texture look. Can't think of anything else other than to see about a replacement ink pad or adding some re-inker and getting it a little juicier. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

It's a LOT of my pads that do this, not just this one.

I didn't know about "erasing" them!! It's too late for Cool Cat :lol: but I'll erase all my other new stamps before I try them.

And I can remember "stamp stamp twiiiiiiiiist!" Thank you! I'll try it and let you know!

Now, if someone would just tell me if my Versamark on glossy is dry yet?? :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #6  
Glitter Queen

[quote="PrairieStamper"]It's a LOT of my pads that do this, not just this one.

I didn't know about "erasing" them!! It's too late for Cool Cat :lol: but I'll erase all my other new stamps before I try them.

It's not to late for the cat, sometimes I just twist mine around gently on my scrap paper that I stamp off on. I have done this for years especially with bold type stamps, I have heard of people lightly sanding ( I can't bring myself to do that tho). And I do it anytime I don't think I'm getting a good image and have done it with every brand stamp I've ever used, the paper scrubbing won't hurt your stamp regardless of it being the first or 200th time your stamping.
HTH
Joyce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieStamper
Now, if someone would just tell me if my Versamark on glossy is dry yet?? :lol:
Probley not. Check back in a few days. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laurie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

My ink pads don't sink in the middle but some of my larger stamps don't pick up enough ink in the center.

I turn the stamp over, pick up my ink pad and tap it in the areas that need more ink.

D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, you can lightly sand your rubber with one of the SU sanding blocks or a fine grit sand paper. There is a "sheen" on brand new stamps that makes it hard for it to grab on to the ink. You do see it particularly with bold stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your stamps are vulcaninzing. This happens with less than Grade A rubbers, but all is not lost. The best way to deal with it is to use a paper nail buffer and buff until the whole thing is dull so that each area can grab the ink. Sometimes that alone is not enough. If the rubber is really substandard you can usually save it by buffing thoroughly, coating the whole stamp with Versamark and leave sitting rubber side up over night. In the morning wash the stamp with a toothbrush and a bit of hand soap and dry well. Gently use the buffer on it again. There has only been one time in nearly a decade of stamping that I have not been able to save a stamp. I have been told that if you are going to store stamps for a long time, you should coat them with Versamark before storing to prevent this. I have never done that because none of my stamps is allowed to cool before I am using it again. Kinda like the old credit card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

What do you mean the rubber is "vulcanizing"? What does "vulcanizing" mean? I've never heard that term.

I've always heard that this is due to the release agent the mold is coated with to make the rubber release from the mold. Sort of like Pam for cooking. This is not something related to SU stamps only, but other companies, as well.

You might also try rubbing on a brown paper bag. It's easier on the stamp, but does have a very, very light sanding effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
You might also try rubbing on a brown paper bag. It's easier on the stamp, but does have a very, very light sanding effect.
So ... everybody does this for all their new stamp sets? I had not be warned of this by my demo! :( At least I'll be a more informed demo (if and when that kit ever shows up!!) :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've never had to do this with an outline stamp, but have often had to with solid stamps. And I'm not just talking about SU, other companies, as well. I am not a SU demo, but was a demo for another company, at one time. This was common with their stamps, too, and this is what the company advised us to do.

What happens is that if a stamp has a large solid area the release agent forms a film on the rubber that prevents the ink from sticking to the rubber, thus you get uneven ink distribution when you stamp. The film just needs to be rubbed off and it will stamp just fine. It might be the case, too with outline stamps, but just isn't as evident to the eye as a solid image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow -I have never had a problem with any of this!!!
Lucky I guess!

My name is Jenny and I'm a STAMPAHOLIC!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Vulcanizing means getting stronger. When refering to rubber it is a process where the less dense rubbers will form a seal as the top layer begins to harden. If it goes on (usually takes years or exposure to sunlight) the whole stamp will turn rock hard. I went on a tour of a rubber stamp factory and learned this. The higher quality of the rubber the less this will happen. The very cheap rubbers will do it in a matter of months. If you have ever had an old office stamp and put it in a drawer for years it will be as hard as stone. Several companies like Jody Poesy, Penny Black and others use the top grade of rubber so you won't see this with those products. The mold release chemical wipes off the first time you use the stamp so if you wiped it or used it once and then cleaned it your second impression would be perfect. This is how you can tell the difference between vulcanized rubber and rubber that simply has chemical coating. Additionally the better companies make sure that the chemical is gone before readying them for sale so the customers never experience this. If you are buying off the shelf in a store you should always look. If the rubber looks too shiny, simply lick your finger and wipe. If it is then dull you just removed the chemical. If it is not dull or your saliva beads up, then you have a vulcanizing stamp. It means lesser quality. If you really like the stamp you can usually save it using the methods I posted above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

About inking stamps well, but without smears, one stamper I know says, "Wiggle, wiggle, tap-tap-tap". I tried it on ones that tapping alone wouldn't ink well (and twisting seemed to leave smears on) and it worked like a charm. :-)

Good luck!

Leslie
Click here for the scoop!
My itty bitty GALLERY. Comment, please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #17  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dot2dot
Several companies like Jody Poesy, Penny Black and others use the top grade of rubber so you won't see this with those products.
Implying that SU! uses substandard rubber?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a large pumpkin that wasn't stamping solid until I started sliding it across the inkpad. Now I just look at it after inking to see if it's covered, then I flip the inkpad over and tap it all over the rubber stamp.

This also works on stamps with lots of detail to make sure all areas are covered with ink. Sometimes I do a test stamp on scrap paper to see if it works so that I don't waste my SU cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have Stampin' Up! Stamps that are over 8 years old and are as soft as the day I bought them. I do how ever wipe the coating off my bold stamps the first time I use them. My technique is to take the new uninked stamp and rub it on my carpet. The carpet texture is perfect for clearing them up fast. Jeans work ok to. I have also been known to clean a stamp or two on my jeans. I do the twist and tap to ink up the bold ones too. Anytime I leave Versamark on my stamps for more than 10 minutes or so it makes the stamps sticky. I clean them 2-3 times and it is still sticky. Anyone know how to get the stickiness off??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

If the rubber looks too shiny, simply lick your finger and wipe. If it is then dull you just removed the chemical. If it is not dull or your saliva beads up, then you have a vulcanizing stamp.
I wonder how many spit on stamps I've purchased at the stamp store :shock:

I hope no one actually does this!!

Seriously though: I have had the same thing happen with my solid stamps and just rubbed them on my carpet to get the stuff off. I seriously doubt they are vulcanizing.

]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #21  

Actually, I misspoke, the original poster never said she was using SU! stamps. I just felt left out. LOL

Found this definition of Vulcanization. It's NOT something that happens to your stamps after you get them, though. From: www.bartleby.com

"Vulcanization - treatment of rubber to give it certain qualities, e.g., strength, elasticity, and resistance to solvents, and to render it impervious to moderate heat and cold. Chemically, the process involves the formation of cross-linkages between the polymer chains of the rubber’s molecules. Vulcanization is accomplished usually by a process invented by Charles Goodyear in 1839, involving combination with sulfur and heating. A method of cold vulcanization (treating rubber with a bath or vapors of a sulfur compound) was developed by Alexander Parkes in 1846. Rubber for almost all ordinary purposes is vulcanized; exceptions are rubber cement, crepe-rubber soles, and adhesive tape. Hard rubber is vulcanized rubber in which 30% to 50% of sulfur has been mixed before heating; soft rubber contains usually less than 5% of sulfur. After the sulfur and rubber (and usually an organic accelerator, e.g., an aniline compound, to shorten the time or lower the heat necessary for vulcanization) are mixed, the compound is usually placed in molds and subjected to heat and pressure. The heat may be applied directly by steam, by steam-heated molds, by hot air, or by hot water. Vulcanization can also be accomplished with certain peroxides, gamma radiation, and several other organic compounds. The finished product is not sticky like raw rubber, does not harden with cold or soften much except with great heat, is elastic, springing back into shape when deformed instead of remaining deformed as unvulcanized rubber does, is highly resistant to abrasion and to gasoline and most chemicals, and is a good insulator against electricity and heat. Many synthetic rubbers undergo processes of vulcanization, some of which are similar to that applied to natural rubber. The invention of vulcanization made possible the wide use of rubber and aided the development of such industries as the automobile industry."

I'm not sure about SU!'s rubber, I know it's not "natural rubber" and there's no latex in it - which is why people with latex allergies can stamp.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #22  

There sure is a lot of weird stuff about this on the internet!!!

"Vulcanization is an irreversible process, like baking a cake, and must be contrasted strongly with thermoplastic processes (the melt-freeze cycle) which characterize the behavior of the vast majority of modern polymers. This irreversible cure reaction defines cured rubber compounds as thermoset materials, which do not melt on heating, and places them outside the class of thermoplastic materials (like polyethylene and polypropylene)."

And you thought Vulcans were only in Star Trek!!!! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 06:36 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

With a bold solid stamp I just drag is across the ink pad and then tap, tap, tap. I then turn it over and typically I have a really well inked stamp. Also, on the bigger stamps and BG stamps I just rub the stamp pad on the stamp not the stamp on the stamp pad...does that make sense? I've heard of people say that it leaves the little strings on the side of the stamp pad...which I have had happen but I would prefer a couple of strings to a not well inked stamp. Just my 2 cents worth. ~Lorie
Old 04-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

You must differentiate between purposeful chemical vulcanization and vulcanization that occurs in response to oxygen, ultraviolet, etc. 2 different things. The process is similar to patina. Patina can be induced or it can happen over time and enviromental stimuli.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my goodness! Her stamps are fine! I have had the same issue with a new solid stamp. Just rub it on something coarse, like carpet (good idea!) or with a toothbrush and it will be fine. Also, like other have said, tap tap twist works quite well for me, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know how this turned into such a complicated discussion when common sense would say that it's a flat surface that just needs some "tooth" to accept the ink. Think of painting a smooth, flat surface, you have to sand it first for paint to stick. So just rough it up a bit like previously suggested and you'll be fine. Most of my stamps are SU, but I do have a few from some other companies of similiar style/quality and I've bought a few at michaels or hobby lobby. All of them can have this issue arise sometimes with bold flat stamps, like a shape stamp or the cat in cool cat. I wouldn't worry about your stamps hardening, or vulcanizing, there are soooo many ladies here for have been stamping for years and years and their stamps are just fine. Mine are up to about 3 or 4 years old and some haven't been used in a loooong time and they are fine whenever I do pull them out to stamp.

Happy Stamping!
Carri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW! This has been quite a discussion. I found it all very interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I agree- quite a discussion. :?

Any time this happens with my new bold stamps, I just clean the stamp with the stampin mist and scrub, and I make sure my ink pad is nice and juicy, and I have had no problems.

I have tons of stamps-stampin up! ones, as well as other brands like Penny Black, Hero Arts, and All night media, and this happens to all brands. It's really a simple fix, and in my opinion, it has NOTHING to do with the quality of the rubber.

My stampin up stamps are soft and supple, my older sets have been soft and wonderful for years, and they have not gotten as "hard as stone".

Just felt the need to share my experiences here....
If I had to buff each stamp thoroughly, coat it with Versamark, let it sit overnight, pray to the full moon, do a jig wearing a blindfold, wash the stamp with a toothbrush and hand soap and dry well, and then gently buff the stamp, I WOULD NOT BE A STAMPER!

Just my two cents! HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:05 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did not mean to imply it needed to be done to "each" stamp. Only to those who do not respond to simple wiping or buffing. I have probably only needed to do this to 6-7 stamps over the years. It sounded like the OP had been working with the stamp and regular methods were not working. I thought she might like to know of an almost sure fix. Sorry to confuse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Thanks for the Info--You All are "Awesome"!!!

:shock: Thanks for the info!!! I can't "imagine" having to do that to "every" stamp--but as a last minute "ditch effort" I will definitely keep that "socked away" in my mind!!!

In the mean time I will keep a pair of jeans and the carpet "close by"--and will forever be chanting "stamp, stamp--twwwiiiiisssssstttt", "wiggle, wiggle--tap-tap-tap", and just plain "drag & swoosh"!!!

I'm new to Split Coast Stampers--and I've "gotta say" you "all" are simply "amazing"!!! It is just soooo "cool" that you choose to share both your talents and knowledge!!!

Thanks soooo much--this is "for sure" my "most favorite" site "ever"!!!

CraftyKJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #31  

I could find no other second kind of vulcanization that you mentioned, if you can find it, please send me the citation.

At any rate, it doesn't matter, apparently this weird thing is not what's happening to her stamps. I was just impressed that you had come up with such a complicated diagnosis without even seeing her stamps, so I wanted to look it up.

No biggie.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Default Re: Thanks for the Info--You All are "Awesome"!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by "CraftyKJ
In the mean time I will keep a pair of jeans and the carpet "close by"--and will forever be chanting "stamp, stamp--twwwiiiiisssssstttt", "wiggle, wiggle--tap-tap-tap", and just plain "drag & swoosh"!!!
CraftyKJ
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like a new dance!

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is no citation. I learned about it from a rubber stamp manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

"If I had to buff each stamp thoroughly, coat it with Versamark, let it sit overnight, pray to the full moon, do a jig wearing a blindfold, wash the stamp with a toothbrush and hand soap and dry well, and then gently buff the stamp, I WOULD NOT BE A STAMPER! "

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This really made me laugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

There is no citation. I learned about it from a rubber stamp manufacturer.
If there is such a thing as the second "vulcanization", we should be able to find it by doing a search on the internet. The internet has pretty much everything on it, and can be used to back up your comments. Which rubber stamp manufacturer gave you this information?

Just curious. I like to be able to back up any info I give to a customer and wouldn't want to forward information that isn't true or can't be proven.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #36  

Wynona,
I DID look it up on the internet.

If you read those long postings above - well, everything was like that. Chemical papers, etc. Non-reversible process. Dictionaries, you name it, I googled it.

I posted the most readable ones I could find.

She said she heard it on a tour of a stamp company. All I can think of is the stamp company tour guide either made a mistake or was just throwing around big words. Vulcanization is definitely a word that can be used in relation to rubber manufacturing, just not AFTER the stamp was made.

I also know stamps CAN deteriorate from the elements. It just isn't called vulcanization anywhere I can find.

Anyway, I wasn't going to bother saying any more, but feel free to Google it some more if you want. I've wasted enough of my stampin time on it already! LOL

Good Luck!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Kathy=

I just like to get the real info from the person saying it. Yes- I did a google search and couldn't find anything that would back up this new info about vulcanization after the rubber was made.

We really need to be able to back up info we put out there. Even on this board. We can appear to know lots but not really knowing anyone personally, I like to see the real facts from a reliable source. No- I'm not from the Show Me state, but feel strongly about having the right info circulating so people don't become ignorant saying and the wrong thing and just believing incorrect data just because they read it somewhere.

Not meaning to be snarky or anything..

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

The internet also does not carry the formula for Efe' enroginal but that does not mean it does not exist. I can find no where on the internet the directions for making Legos, but I bet if you toured the factory you would learn things NOT on the internet. I have told my students millions of times that the internet is filled with more MISinformation than information. Unfortunately, uneducated people believe things are not real unless written, and if written they are the absolute truth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

Quote:

Vulcanizing means getting stronger. When refering to rubber it is a process where the less dense rubbers will form a seal as the top layer begins to harden. If it goes on (usually takes years or exposure to sunlight) the whole stamp will turn rock hard. I went on a tour of a rubber stamp factory and learned this. The higher quality of the rubber the less this will happen. The very cheap rubbers will do it in a matter of months. If you have ever had an old office stamp and put it in a drawer for years it will be as hard as stone. Several companies like Jody Poesy, Penny Black and others use the top grade of rubber so you won't see this with those products. The mold release chemical wipes off the first time you use the stamp so if you wiped it or used it once and then cleaned it your second impression would be perfect. This is how you can tell the difference between vulcanized rubber and rubber that simply has chemical coating. Additionally the better companies make sure that the chemical is gone before readying them for sale so the customers never experience this. If you are buying off the shelf in a store you should always look. If the rubber looks too shiny, simply lick your finger and wipe. If it is then dull you just removed the chemical. If it is not dull or your saliva beads up, then you have a vulcanizing stamp. It means lesser quality. If you really like the stamp you can usually save it using the methods I posted above.
Dot2dot,
Well dang! I didn't know any of this, but I always use my stamp pad cleaner on a new stamp before I ink it up. (Kinda like washing your clothes after you buy them at the store, before you wear them.) I started doing this because there seemed to be some specks of lint or wood dust on the rubber after I got them mounted.

I do have some OLD grocery store stamps I'll have to get them out and check on them.
Oh this also reminds me of my Dad, saying something about the garden hose being left out, it was one of those red ones like our stamps! You really got me thinking waaaay too early this morning!

Thanks,
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!
Default Re: Thanks for the Info--You All are "Awesome"!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyKJ
:shock: Thanks for the info!!! I can't "imagine" having to do that to "every" stamp--but as a last minute "ditch effort" I will definitely keep that "socked away" in my mind!!!

I'm new to Split Coast Stampers--and I've "gotta say" you "all" are simply "amazing"!!! It is just soooo "cool" that you choose to share both your talents and knowledge!!!

Thanks soooo much--this is "for sure" my "most favorite" site "ever"!!!

CraftyKJ
lol!!! :lol: You cracked me upwith your post!! I have to agree with you!! Just so much fun to find all the answers to things I thought I was imagining! :shock:

Welcome to SCS!!
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes