Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/what-going-here-t98793.html)

judylb 11-09-2005 03:38 PM

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!!

Got out the glossy cardstock (not photo paper) with the intention of doing a Joseph's Coat background. Brayered on the spectrum pad and the coverage looks like waxed paper resist. WHAT IS WITH THIS??? I've done this before and got even coverage on the glossy cs but this time it is totally different. I tried with dye and pigment ink and both are doing the same thing. I have used this same glossy cs before and had no problem. I'm having a meltdown here---HELP!! Wish I could post the result so you could see this mess.

momof2stampers 11-09-2005 03:42 PM

It always does that to me, so I want to know what everyone else says. I very rarely use my brayer for this reason

maxiesmom 11-09-2005 03:59 PM

In my case, I had actually used the paper once before trying my hand at wax paper resist. Couldn't see signs of the design on it anywhere and thought that once again I'd been a dismal failure! Only to pull it out when I was doing the shaving cream technique and see a lovely wax paper design also on the paper! Guess I hadn't messed it up after all!

Kathy :)

mooshie_stamps 11-09-2005 05:01 PM

I've never had this happen b-4. sounds so wierd! did you try a different piece as well? I'm just wondering if you had a bad piece or something? sorry I can't be more help. good luck figureing it out though.
Michelle

Sianne 11-09-2005 06:35 PM

Was your paper stored somewhere that may have gotten too hot?

krabearkub 11-09-2005 06:46 PM

Sounds weird.

When I brayer on glossy cs it works fine.

judylb 11-09-2005 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sianne
Was your paper stored somewhere that may have gotten too hot?

I have it stored in a Target document box and it is never over 75. I've had it awhile (maybe a year) bought it from a stamp store going out of business. I just took a piece and dampened it and looked at it under a strong light. I could see crazing which resembled the wax resist look. It has to be the coating on the paper that is crazing but I don't understand why--the first few pieces I used worked fine. Now I have 50 sheets of glossy that will give me an instant wax resist background by just brayering ink on it, but I'm SOL if I want to do Joseph's Coat--BUMMER!!

GarnetJ 11-09-2005 10:52 PM

Try using the heat gun. I had something weird happen the very first time I tried my brayer. Not quite the waxed paper look, but the ink was "speckled" on the paper instead of smooth. After heating, it smoothed out.

judylb 11-10-2005 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
Try using the heat gun. I had something weird happen the very first time I tried my brayer. Not quite the waxed paper look, but the ink was "speckled" on the paper instead of smooth. After heating, it smoothed out.

I appreciate the suggestion--did you heat the paper before applying the ink or after inking?