Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice for shoebox swap creation

I'm just positive that you all can help me out here. I am planning to attend my first ever Shoebox Swap very soon. So, I am trying to design my card. My question is: how involved does one make these things? Are there certain embellishments, techniques, etc. that a person should avoid? i.e., eyelets, wire, watercoloring, sponging...

I'm sure that I'm making this much harder than it needs to be - but I keep thinking of the variety of supplies needed to complete some of my ideas... and the time element once we're all together...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Pleasantwords are as a honeycomb; sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I've only done one shoebox swap myself, and am getting ready for my second one. I can tell you there was a wide variety. Some were very involved and some were very simple. Not really knowing what to expect, I made mine on the simple side, but am going to do one that is a little more involved next time, now that I kinda know what to expect. The only limitations on the one I went to was no electric devices, like heat guns. Many used glitter, brads, ribbon, and eyelets. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have hosted one and am having another this Thursday. My advice it to consider who you have coming and numbers. I had 10 people last time and most of them were fairly new to stamping. I did the swap as a way to get people using what they had, to share ideas and have fun together. A couple of people who came have stamped for awhile so their cards were more involved. We got hung up in a couple places because the cards took so long to do. I used ribbon as the only embellishments on my last card, it was a faux postage. The technique was new to most which made it enough to grasp. I say try a few new ideas and some embellishments but nothing that is too time consuming. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get through what we had and we were pretty busy. If your guests are still fairly new to stamping you don't want to overwhelm them or they may get discouraged. Post some of your swaps for all to share. I will try to do the same. Have fun!!

Join us in Buffalo on 4/28/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracyharp
I have hosted one and am having another this Thursday. My advice it to consider who you have coming and numbers. I had 10 people last time and most of them were fairly new to stamping. I did the swap as a way to get people using what they had, to share ideas and have fun together. A couple of people who came have stamped for awhile so their cards were more involved. We got hung up in a couple places because the cards took so long to do. I used ribbon as the only embellishments on my last card, it was a faux postage. The technique was new to most which made it enough to grasp. I say try a few new ideas and some embellishments but nothing that is too time consuming. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get through what we had and we were pretty busy. If your guests are still fairly new to stamping you don't want to overwhelm them or they may get discouraged. Post some of your swaps for all to share. I will try to do the same. Have fun!!
Great ideas here. Try using the Sketch Challenges for your starting point.
Here's the link for week 6. HTH!

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Week #7

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, girls, for your helpful responses... I am so looking forward to this!! should be a blast!!

Julia
Pleasantwords are as a honeycomb; sweet to the soul and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2005, 05:28 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi, Julia - I pmed you.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes