Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Are Planners still popular?

I know that a lot of people were making and decorating planners a couple of years ago but I still see a lot of planner stamps and embellishments being sold. Do many crafters still do planners? I use my phone and a wall calendar to keep track of my activities, and never did get into the whole planner thing, but am wondering if any of you do?
Are your planners a creative project that you just keep, or do you actually use your planners in a practical way?
Shannon
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Ha, Ha, Ha! Practical Planners???? Is that a thing? OK, I am being so cheeky. I can't fathom a planner being practical. So no, I don't use my planner in a practical way.

In all seriousness if I was a professional businesswoman who relied on a planner I would be absolutely horrified to yank out my planner in front of a big CEO and it was all decorated with stickers! I don't care if it was a creative company.

I do use a planner as a fun diary. I have a pretty laid back life. Thank gosh after a lot of hectic professional years. My planner is really more hybrid. I do planner printables and decorate the day, add cute tidbits. I do a lot more journaling, collaging, smash book in my "planner". I make my own "planners" because the store bought ones don't fit my needs since I do so much in that book.

The planner community is still super huge. I do think there are still many that do traditional planners with the stickers, stamps, etc... Like all art skills a lot of planner girls have evolved and grown their styles so you see a lot more hybrid planners. Now you see planner junque journals, planner diaries or planner art journals.

Last edited by lylacfey; 03-12-2020 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I have quite a few planners, most of them still blank. It seems to have evolved into a subset/niche of the scrapbook industry. Most scrapbook companies have quite a few planner ideas on their blogs. The big box craft stores have cut back on shelf space for planners & planner stuff but it is still out there.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think planners are still big, just not many planner people here. Studio Calico has a monthly planner kit. They shut down their forum some years ago so there’s no way to get a feel for how popular it is, but they have some very nice planner supplies.

When I was in the non-profit and the corporate world my Daytimer planner was practically velcroed to my head, but it wasn’t a creative planner. Now I use Outlook on my phone/iPad/PC to keep track of appointments and even things to do sometimes. I love the arty planners others keep that I’ve seen, just know I wouldn’t keep it up.

Last edited by bjeans; 03-13-2020 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm a newbie to the fun planner thing, but I'm having so much fun with it. I sneak some of the color and even some stickers onto my work planner, but I work in a church and some of the faith-based sticker books have good options for me. (Reminders of bible study dates, etc.) We are a casual environment in the office, so that helps. I do keep key appointments and events on my phone & computer, but still do better at keeping track of things on paper; that's probably part of the appeal for me.

I have a couple more of the planners with blank pages that i'm using to keep track of household things and also crafty stuff (purchases, sketches, color combos, etc.) I'm hoping this trand lasts a while.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes they have thier place but not so popular
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 02:27 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I think a lot of people do digital planners now. However, since there are SO many kinds of planners of all types still available, both downloads and in paper, there must be a lot of people still doing paper.

I totally dislike the digital calendar thing. So I have a paper planner that I created for myself. I have a couple of stamp sets from Studio L2E (they have a gazillion stamp sets for planners) that I do use at times but I'm not into all the stickers and stamps and gee-gaws. ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

Ha, Ha, Ha! Practical Planners???? Is that a thing? OK, I am being so cheeky. I can't fathom a planner being practical. So no, I don't use my planner in a practical way.

In all seriousness if I was a professional businesswoman who relied on a planner I would be absolutely horrified to yank out my planner in front of a big CEO and it was all decorated with stickers! I don't care if it was a creative company.

I do use a planner as a fun diary. I have a pretty laid back life. Thank gosh after a lot of hectic professional years. My planner is really more hybrid. I do planner printables and decorate the day, add cute tidbits. I do a lot more journaling, collaging, smash book in my "planner". I make my own "planners" because the store bought ones don't fit my needs since I do so much in that book.

The planner community is still super huge. I do think there are still many that do traditional planners with the stickers, stamps, etc... Like all art skills a lot of planner girls have evolved and grown their styles so you see a lot more hybrid planners. Now you see planner junque journals, planner diaries or planner art journals.

Lol, I can just imagine you pulling out your creative planner in the middle of a meeting. The ones I've seen have clips, ribbons, stickers, painted pages, and even feathers coming out of them. I've never done a decorative planner so was never quite sure what people do with them. So are they more like an art journal, only with planner pages?
Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

I think a lot of people do digital planners now. However, since there are SO many kinds of planners of all types still available, both downloads and in paper, there must be a lot of people still doing paper.

I totally dislike the digital calendar thing. So I have a paper planner that I created for myself. I have a couple of stamp sets from Studio L2E (they have a gazillion stamp sets for planners) that I do use at times but I'm not into all the stickers and stamps and gee-gaws. ;)

So do you use your paper planner like a diary or art journal, or more like a mini calendar?
Shannon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShartlView Post
Lol, I can just imagine you pulling out your creative planner in the middle of a meeting. The ones I've seen have clips, ribbons, stickers, painted pages, and even feathers coming out of them. I've never done a decorative planner so was never quite sure what people do with them. So are they more like an art journal, only with planner pages?
Shannon

A lot of planner girls do use their decorated planners for practical purposes. I have seen planner girls have like eight different planners all decorated but used for different things like their YouTube planner, their home planner, work planner, etc...

Then there are us girls who do not use planners for any practical purpose at all. It is mainly used as an art journal, diary, smash book. I don't put appointments in my planners at all. Those go into my Dollar Tree notebook, lol. I do use my planners as a diary.

I do think planners are a different kind of art journal for those who are practical & impractical.

Instagram's #plannercommunity hashtag on Instagram • Photos and Videos is super active with a lot of posts of all the different types of planners the girls do.

The planner community is still huge. They even have large meetups like in the scrapbook world.

The big box stores have shrunk a lot of things planners. Planner girls are buying a lot more digi's now. They are using their Cricut's & Silhouette machines to make planner things. Buy a lot of things at Dollar Tree. The planner community still spends a lot of money but not at the big box stores as much. Etsy is huge for planner printables. Most what everyone buys at the big box stores are stickers, and things to make embellishments for our planners like the feathers & charms. The stores don't sell actual planners as much as they used too because the planner girls have found the system that works for them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShartlView Post
So do you use your paper planner like a diary or art journal, or more like a mini calendar?
Shannon

It's my daily planner/calendar. I keep track of my appointments, which of my grandchildren are spending whichever day with me, when I'm teaching, when I'm going to be with my dad, when I'm volunteering for something...and so on. Without it I would miss things for sure. I also list what needs to be done around home and I have a water tracker in an attempt to make me drink more water. So far, that isn't working so well. But since I made my own pages, it's got pretty flowers printed on the pages, and a fave font.

My calendar on my phone is for the alarms that tell me that I better check my clock since the time to leave is coming up quickly. :rolleyes:
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 03:00 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

While I found them to be potentially fun & creative outlets for a niche of people, I prefer the spiral bound 12-month calendars with room for appointments on the day squares ... and zero distracting additions. :rolleyes:
Thus, when the local stores keep filling more shelves with planner stuff, I lose more interest in visiting.
And around & around we go! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 03:10 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My Daytime planner is a hard-core organizational tool. Without it, I am lost in disorder. It is not a craft project. I often need to use it to plan more than a year in advance, especially for appointments. My hefty, black leather binder holds my calendar through 2021, my to do lists, my appointments, Christmas planning lists, essential information for my Church Library work, my hard copy of my contacts (which I need to update), family birthday calendar, etc, etc.
Needless to say, I don’t grasp “bullet journals”, make-each-month planners, and the like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 04:42 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

My planner is for practical use. I used to have a PDA way back in the day when I was working, but only because it could sync to my secretary and coworker and computer. I'm still more of a paper-pencil person, so my "clutch" sized planner holds all my day appointments, activities and to-do lists. I carry it with me always. It is purchased, not crafted, but does have a weekly quote and a few small images or pictures, which I could do without to give me more space, but I like the size that fits in my purse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendelView Post
My Daytime planner is a hard-core organizational tool. Without it, I am lost in disorder. It is not a craft project. I often need to use it to plan more than a year in advance, especially for appointments. My hefty, black leather binder holds my calendar through 2021, my to do lists, my appointments, Christmas planning lists, essential information for my Church Library work, my hard copy of my contacts (which I need to update), family birthday calendar, etc, etc.
Needless to say, I don’t grasp “bullet journals”, make-each-month planners, and the like.
I'm with you 100% on this! I even have all of the same stuff you do in mine!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Please don't shoot me, but I have ZERO use for a planner of ANY type - digital or paper or anything else! DH and I are empty nesters in good health, so there are no children's activities to remember and doctor's appointments are (thankfully) few and far between. I stick the appointment card on the fridge with a magnet for those. Our social life is largely comprised of the two of us doing things together, so no social events to track, either. Maybe I need more of a life...?

I do think that the planners are fun and cute and all the rest of it, so I see the appeal. I have two sets of calendar stamps, so apparently I thought it was a good idea at some point, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes