Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New - Have a question about decorated envelops

Hi Ladies - My name is Michelle, and I'm new. Generally I'm a lurker (I'm shy - heh) and did look through the forum, but really didn't find what I was looking for (I apologize in advance if I missed it....so much to read!) So, thought I would have to take the plunge and come right out and ask.

I'm wondering if any one else decorates their envelopes in such a way as this (attached)

I have been doing this for some time, and while the post office may hate me, they have always delivered them, with no problem.

Does anyone else do this, or am I just....strange? I was hoping to come up with some new ideas, but scanning the galleries, I haven't seen much in the way of envelops, so was just curious.

Thanks,

Michelle
Attached Thumbnails
New - Have a question about decorated envelops-env.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #2  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I do decorate my envelopes, but not so boldly - I'm more a soft, subtle kinda gal. Your envelope is beautiful & if the po doesn't like, too bad for them!
I tend to decorate by having stamped return address labels, and then using a small co-ordinating stamp in the lower left corner of the envelope, the back flap or both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decorate my envelopes but I do my best to make sure the address is easily read. I think you envelope is gorgeous but could you just imagine if you had to sort envelopes and they were all as artistic?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you for the complients. It's hard for me NOT to do bold : ( And - most of the time I try and make sure the address is clear. My uncle used to work for the post office and I have asked him about them before - his reply was....."as long as they can read the address" They aren't ALWAYS this crazy though, sometimes I do get carried away.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do decorate my envelopes but only a corner or two on the front. I don't want the Post Office to get PO'd about reading the address. I decorate the flap on the back.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These bold decorative envies shouldn't be a problem with the PO if you write or print your address on a LABEL attached so the address won't get "lost" on the envelope! My PO sells decorative envelopes and packages, some of which are a lot bolder than yours!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Actually, that address isn't that hard to read (IMO), I just blurred it out (so you can't really tell), cause I'm not sure people would appreciate having their address posted, but I do try and be careful of the address most times. This was another one I did, using two stamps I had, that I just traced around, rather then stamping - with a clear address area.

So, I guess many people don't do this because of PO concerns? I would like to see any envelops anyone else does if they want to share (simple, or detailed - as I just enjoy seeing what others are doing)

I guess I kind of feel like a fish out of water here....
Attached Thumbnails
New - Have a question about decorated envelops-pirate_env.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I love your envelopes - very artistic and I bet the receiver is excited when one is in their boring mail! I tend to just stamp a little bit in a corner or decorate the envie flap, myself. But several years ago (sorry, don't know when specifically) I think Rubber Stamper magazine had an article on people that decorate their envies such as yours.

The PO might be a bit peeved at searching a bit for the address, but I've also had my mailperson tell me that she *loves* seeing my stamped mail when I put things out to be delivered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always coordinate the envelope but just on the lower left corner, or the left side edge. This is usually a great selling factor, my customers love the extra touch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

hello and welcome! i too love your envelopes!

i always match my envelope to the card.

i love to emboss the flap with my cuttlebug. or i just stamp on the flap or a corner on the front with the stamp set i used to create my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your envelopes are lovely and so artistic!

I usually make an envelope liner from pattern paper to coordinate with my card and place it inside the envelope and flap.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I have never decorated the envies but will probably start now. Yours are beautiful and I'm sure that whoever gets them loves them.

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I never thought of doing the inside with pattern paper, what a lovely idea! Oh geez....more ways to decorate, next I'll be doing the back of the envelope. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know people who make envelopes out of that DP that they will just never use! That's another way of decorating the post ;) - but still not as original as the OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Just thought I would throw this in....cause of the concerns with the post office, I went and got the scoop from my uncle on how this works....he said, they feed all the mail though a machine that reads and address and sorts it according to zip - if the machine can not read an address, it will take a picture of it, and slap a bar code sticker on it. The image is then sent to a computer, where people manually sit there all day, just for this sort of thing, look at the image and type in the address, they then send that information back to the computerized bar code on the 'unreadable' envelope. That envelope is then sorted by the bar code.

Thought it was pretty cool info, so thought I would share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very cool envies! I'll have to borrow this idea if you don't mind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Those are beautiful envelopes Michelle! I would never have thought to decorate an envelope as I would a card -- stamping, coloring and all! Beeswaxrubberstamps has a couple of galleries that include decorated envelopes that remind me of your creativity under their "mail stamp art" section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Of course - borrow away

I never had a thought to decorate envelopes either, until one day my mom send me this card (store bought, from leanin' tree) and they have wonderful envelopes that I think are prettier then the cards sometimes.....anyway, my mom wrote, "your cards might be better, but my envelopes are better" I thought, Oh yeah? Game on! And since then, it just doesn't feel right if I don't spend as much time in the envelope as the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Gosh, I love your envelopes, thanks for sharing! I almost always just do the lower left corner on the front & then the back flap. I am very predictable & stick with what works- I always use my all time favorite set- Paint Prints & I rotate about 3 or 4 different color combos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MishBView Post
Actually, that address isn't that hard to read (IMO), I just blurred it out (so you can't really tell), cause I'm not sure people would appreciate having their address posted, but I do try and be careful of the address most times. This was another one I did, using two stamps I had, that I just traced around, rather then stamping - with a clear address area.

So, I guess many people don't do this because of PO concerns? I would like to see any envelops anyone else does if they want to share (simple, or detailed - as I just enjoy seeing what others are doing)

I guess I kind of feel like a fish out of water here....

I LOVE your pirate envelope!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

:(
Ugh hum.....you have a whole gallery to use and we only get to see 2 envelopes. That's not nice.
They are great and I can't wait to see more. What a great way to decorate an envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

fantastic envies. my wheels are turning.
I would start uploading your envelopes into the gallery under the stamps that you are using to create your designs. They are gorgeous! share, share, share! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Just thought I would throw this in....cause of the concerns with the post office, I went and got the scoop from my uncle on how this works....he said, they feed all the mail though a machine that reads and address and sorts it according to zip - if the machine can not read an address, it will take a picture of it, and slap a bar code sticker on it. The image is then sent to a computer, where people manually sit there all day, just for this sort of thing, look at the image and type in the address, they then send that information back to the computerized bar code on the 'unreadable' envelope. That envelope is then sorted by the bar code.

Thought it was pretty cool info, so thought I would share.
Well, I think given the current economy it may actually be our job then to decorate envelopes - can't really think that this sort of work is being outsourced
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

your envelopes are AMAZING!!!! You just inspired me to make sure to decorate my envelopes all the time!!!
Well, maybe not like yours but just a little something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Most of the envelope stuff is done with stencils, or 'templates' as in, I will take chipboard letters, etc. and trace around them - so not real sure what I could referrence in a gallery, but I guess I can add the cards....therefore referencing the stamp. I have also just recently gotten the brilliant idea to scan these things, so I don't really have much.

Unlike many of you, I'm not a consistant stamper (I just have to many other hobbies that take all my time! LOL) So, I come and go - and do not pay that much attention to stamp companies, etc - I just see a stamp I like and grab it, so not sure how well I would do in the 'gallery'.

I would love to see what you guys could come up with - as I have seen some of your work on cards in the galleries and have been blown away - I'm sure your envelopes would be grand! The whole reason for this post, I might add, as I really wanted some new inspiration!

I am glad you like the envelops though, and if I can figure out the gallery thing, I will maybe post some more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

perhaps in the keywords you can put envelope, and then those of us searching for your works of art will be able to locate them...just a suggestion...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mish, these are fantastic! Yes, I've seen envelopes done like this...it's called "mail art," and has been done for a long time. Used to be you could open Somerset magazine and look on the letters to the editor pages and see a few every month. They always liked to publish the best they'd received during the month.

I have a large, 9x12 envelope that somebody sent to me years ago. It's still on display in my stamp room and I'll NEVER get rid of it, lol! It's completely covered with asian art, tag art, beautiful drawings, etc. Front AND back! Even the way my name and address were written is beautiful.

If you check out some stamping magazines like Rubber Stamp Madness, Somerset, etc., you can probably find examples of some. Back in the back of RSM they even have some swaps listed just for this kind of mail art. Oh! And there's a place that has a contest every year for the best decorated envelopes... haven't looked in on it in quite some time but the imagination that went in to all those envelopes! Whoooaaa Nellie!

Yours are just gorgeous and would fit right in with that whole genre. I hope you pursue this and find more folks to swap with. Maybe even start a gallery, hmmmm? LOL, was that too subtle? If you like, I can take pictures of my envelope and send them to you...it really is gorgeous.

Thanks so much for sharing! I haven't seen envelopes of this caliber for a long time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:13 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

And don't worry about the post office, really! If you could see some of the things they've delivered, lol, you'd see that your envelopes are a piece of cake! Besides, that's what the extra postage goes to pay for...if they need "real" people to aid the machinery...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Wow, those are amazing. Especially the pirate one, it's fantastic.
I would worry less about the PO being able to read them (the Irish one gives us all sorts of details about the best font size to use and where to put it and so on), but we get a lot of rain here and I've got some pretty soggy post occaionally, and also the odd one with a big muddy footprint on it. It would be awful if something like that happened to one of your works of art!
I do sometimes decorate them but usually only if it's for hand delivery. I sometimes arrange a card kit swap, and one of the ladies who participates always does her envelopes as well as the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Betty, I would love to see your envelope. I have seen some envelopes in The Rubber Stamper magazine before I think, but haven't checked out Rubber Stamp Madness, Somerset - I will have to do that, thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Michelle, I love your envelopes and how you colour them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Default Now have a question about the Gallery...

If I do start a gallery for the envelopes (I can add the cards too, but sumetimes just have the envelope - which catagory do I add this in? I looked in the gallery, and there is a section for anything but cards, but nothing specific to envelopes - also, not sure what the rules are. I know you guys like to referrence stamps, but I don't always use stamps when doing the envelope - if I display the card, I can referrence the stamp (if it is not unmounted, cause like a dork, never kept track of the company), but on envelopes where I don't have the card.....will probably not have a stamp used on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can just leave the envelopes in your Member gallery (but put the word "envelope" in Keywords). If you don't know what stamp it was, just put "unknown" under Stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not nearly as creative as OP. I will very often just take a wheel and wheel the entire envelope. This adds a little something.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

If I do start a gallery for the envelopes (I can add the cards too, but sumetimes just have the envelope - which catagory do I add this in? I looked in the gallery, and there is a section for anything but cards, but nothing specific to envelopes - also, not sure what the rules are. I know you guys like to referrence stamps, but I don't always use stamps when doing the envelope - if I display the card, I can referrence the stamp (if it is not unmounted, cause like a dork, never kept track of the company), but on envelopes where I don't have the card.....will probably not have a stamp used on it.
You could always start a blog - that's what I did. Well I did it before I joined here but that way I only have to do it once for whatever forum I belong to.;) and I just update my signature when I update my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

I have always decorated my envelopes but always just on the left side or back flap. But after seeing your envelopes, I think I will start decorating the entire envelope!!! Love your envelopes! Great art work. Keep churning them out!
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Though I don't always get it done, my upline when I first started told me to 'never send a nekid envie' ;) I try to keep that commandment. ;)

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

just a word of advice to aspiring envelope decorators out there - I have my addresses on computer so I tend to send my envelopes through when I can - I just think of it as a win-win I know its correct and the PO/RM can actually read it without trying to decifer my handwriting - well my printer definitely does not like decorated envelopes! I had the mother of all jams when I tried to send through this envelope let alone all the problems etc afterward that I blogged most of!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Default For those who are interested....

I did start a gallery - not real sure if there are "rules" other then what is listed there, I don't have cards for all the envelopes, and don't always use stamps (or know what stamps I used : o - so please let me know if there is somethime else I need to do here - naming conventions, etc. Otherwise, I will just upload them, and label them they way I did.

Thanks ladies - you guys have been great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just visited your gallery. So glad you posted your stuff! Thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes