Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   New Canadian SU Prices (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/new-canadian-su-prices-t443594.html)

Tornadogirl 06-18-2009 11:33 AM

New Canadian SU Prices
 
I'm not sure if anyone can tell me this yet but does the SU Color Caddy increase in price on July 1? I know it's about $70 CDN but I've heard that a whole bunch of items are increasing in price (punches, etc.) and I am trying to budget for my next large purchase.

Thanks!!! :-D

bettyjoanes 06-18-2009 12:06 PM

I've heard about 10%increase all across the board. But I am not positive.

I love pink 06-18-2009 12:15 PM

I thought that read catty not caddy!! I am moving to Canada and was thinking omg a catty is 70CDN I am never going to be able to afford anything!!! lol

wenchie 06-18-2009 12:24 PM

I saw the catty a couple of weeks ago and it does look like EVERYTHING went up about 10%. That's going to really impact my future purchases in a negative way.

donna1911 06-18-2009 02:21 PM

another thread has punches going to 22.95 so up from 19.95. And the US price did not increase at all. .. It is still 15.95 US. That is a HUGE discrepancy in prices and for certain will impact my future buying...I wish somone leaked the paper prices so I could figure out if I need to order that before June 30.

jackie1 06-18-2009 03:07 PM

My demo let me know that the Big Shot is going up by $10 and that they don't have the starter kit, there were a couple of other things that she mentioned that are going up. She said that it had something to do with the dollar, I just know that it is one more reason that I will really look at what I buy before ordering. I love SU products but with that much of an increase I will be cutting back on my buying this year.

donna1911 06-18-2009 03:09 PM

Did you get a sneak peak at paper prices?

madstamper33 06-18-2009 03:49 PM

I believe the cardstock is going to $7.25 and the ink pads are $7.95 refills $3.95.

basketballmom 06-18-2009 07:16 PM

If you want the ink caddy, get it now.
In fact ... I'm spending far too much now before the prices go up. (don't tell dh ...)

deb_loves_stamping 06-18-2009 07:59 PM

I am really not impressed about the prices going up 10% ... I dont know, but it just doesnt seem fair to me. This will definitely impact my SU budget this coming catalogue year. I will still buy, but will be a lot more choosey with what I am buying and that will mean buying a lot less. I think that SU actually loses in the end by putting up our prices by 10%, as a lot of us in this economy will definitely buy less, or end up buying elsewhere for something similar. Just my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing the new catalogue though ... and the new in colours!

Tornadogirl 06-18-2009 08:17 PM

Crikey...10%??? I was going to put together a nice large order including the Colour Caddy and get the hostess specials...that sort of bites...

Don't know what to do now...

Sama 06-18-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1 (Post 14404723)
My demo let me know that the Big Shot is going up by $10 and that they don't have the starter kit, there were a couple of other things that she mentioned that are going up. She said that it had something to do with the dollar, I just know that it is one more reason that I will really look at what I buy before ordering. I love SU products but with that much of an increase I will be cutting back on my buying this year.

Hi Jackie,sad to tell ya that the Big Shot is going up more than $10.00! New price is $132.95 (from $118.95)

No, I'm not a demo...and no, I don't have a new catty,but I had it on loan from my gfriend and jotted down some prices for comparisons...;)

Sama 06-18-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornadogirl (Post 14409205)
Crikey...10%??? I was going to put together a nice large order including the Colour Caddy and get the hostess specials...that sort of bites...

Don't know what to do now...

I did just that today! Over $200.00!....
Luckily for me my demo gfriend gives me her 20% savings...
but oh myyyyy! the NEW hostess specials in new catty are AWESOME! the best hostess sets I've seen so far!!

Sama 06-18-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornadogirl (Post 14409205)
Crikey...10%??? I was going to put together a nice large order including the Colour Caddy and get the hostess specials...that sort of bites...

Don't know what to do now...

10% UP from an already INFLATED Can. Catty!!!:twisted:
Did U ever compared the Can. prices vs US prices in their SU! catty on line??....quite an eye opener LMtY!:(

Tornadogirl 06-18-2009 08:59 PM

Well, I very well may have to buy a stamp pad organizer somewhere else...

These days we're all trying to stretch our dollars even more...10% is an awfully large increase for things that are purely discretionary purchases.

Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now, just feeling a little frustrated and disappointed in SU right now...sigh

kellybee 06-19-2009 04:12 AM

I'm turning further and further away from SU!...I really love their stuff but I can't justify the price. I also wish they would go unmounted so we'd have an option to purchase stamps at a lower price but that's a whole other story...I'm at a point where I only buy cardstock now. Such a shame!

Gramma Birdie 06-19-2009 04:21 AM

I'm just wondering why the Canadian SU prices are so much higher than the US? The exchange rate between the 2 currencies isn't that big anymore. I spent 75% of my crafting dollars at SU last year but I'm afraid that won't be true this time. They used to have a monopoly on quality cardstock but there are other companies in the running now. Kind of makes me feel that the Canadian side of their business isn't that important to them anymore.

pink-princess 06-19-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornadogirl (Post 14409500)
Well, I very well may have to buy a stamp pad organizer somewhere else...

These days we're all trying to stretch our dollars even more...10% is an awfully large increase for things that are purely discretionary purchases.

Sorry I'll get off my soapbox now, just feeling a little frustrated and disappointed in SU right now...sigh


Well I'm in the UK and couldn't justify spending the price on the caddy... a friend found a link for a PortaInk Dual Swivel Traveller which was much cheaper than the SU caddy and does the same thing... I've found a like below for it... not sure if it's the cheapest around but at least you'll see what I mean!
http://www.bestscrapbookshelf.com/?a...Join_ID=135113

pink-princess 06-19-2009 04:58 AM

BTW I'm not a demo but I was lucky enough to see a new catty and I wrote down some prices..

$15.95 for large punch, classic ink $5.95, cardstock $5.50, designer papers $9.95, small rollers $6.50 large rollers $8.50

not sure how that compairs to the old prices

speanburg4 06-19-2009 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pink-princess (Post 14410671)
BTW I'm not a demo but I was lucky enough to see a new catty and I wrote down some prices..

$15.95 for large punch, classic ink $5.95, cardstock $5.50, designer papers $9.95, small rollers $6.50 large rollers $8.50

not sure how that compairs to the old prices

I think these are probably the US prices, not the Canadian prices.

Mingo 06-19-2009 06:30 AM

Those are definitely U.S. prices.

The other demos that have added comments before me are right... if there are basics that you're looking for, you may want to consider ordering them now. The prices are going up (don't forget... the catty was probably printed when the dollar was sitting at close to 80 cents, and the last catty was printed when the two were close to par), and the GST isn't coming down!

Gracey'sgirl 06-19-2009 07:18 AM

Actually I really shop around now. I am disappointed in the price increase too.

As I said in another thread there is a store in B.C. where I can get punches and some equipment that SU sells at least 4.00 dollars cheaper. So I will be buying there. I may always get paper from SU because of color match. Even so there are other companies who now attract my attention.

Recently purchased some Websters pages from my local Scrapbook store. I did all my teacher thank you cards with those papers. It cost me 10.00 dollars.

Are you hearing this Stampin Up?

Mewsin 06-19-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirl (Post 14411794)
Actually I really shop around now. I am disappointed in the price increase too.

As I said in another thread there is a store in B.C. where I can get punches and some equipment that SU sells at least 4.00 dollars cheaper. So I will be buying there. I may always get paper from SU because of color match. Even so there are other companies who now attract my attention.

Recently purchased some Websters pages from my local Scrapbook store. I did all my teacher thank you cards with those papers. It cost me 10.00 dollars.

Are you hearing this Stampin Up?

Please, please email Stampin' Up with your concerns, they do listen.

As demos we would love if our customers would email SU! to tell them what you think. We can really only do so much.

[email protected] This is the email given on the customer page under contact us. Please contact SU!

Kizmet888 06-19-2009 09:35 AM

Polka dot grosgrain ribbon in the new In Colors.
$9.95 US
$14.95 CAD
And in Ontario, add 13% tax! That's almost $17 for a roll of ribbon!!!
The large punches went up 15%, as did several other items.

I just might be placing another order before June 30th for the few misc. things I want.

RidiculouslyAddicted 06-19-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mewsin (Post 14412993)
Please, please email Stampin' Up with your concerns, they do listen.

As demos we would love if our customers would email SU! to tell them what you think. We can really only do so much.

[email protected] This is the email given on the customer page under contact us. Please contact SU!

It seems like they listened before when they did drop prices, but now they're right back up there. In a recession, nonetheless. We've heard all of the reasons why a hundred times, but the fact is, they continue to alienate their Canadian market. :(

I hate to say it, but I'm done with SU. I don't think I'll even be getting a catalogue this year. There are so many wonderful options out there now that I don't feel the need to spend my money with them.

Gracey'sgirl 06-19-2009 09:57 AM

I recently wrote this on Splitcoast Stampers thread. I wanted to make sure you received a copy as well. I have been a loyal Stampin up customer for a while now but I am finding increasing difficult to remain loyal. Not only are there many companies offering the same type of supplies but they are offering it at less than your company.

We as Canadians are often told prices reflect the fact that our dollar is lower (thank you for adjusting your prices when our dollar went up). However it has happen again the Canadian dollar is down. Stampin up prices have gone up. Now I am given to understand the U.S. prices in your catalog remain the same. Unfair. Canadians are affected by the same economic downturn you are.

What has also offended me is that the Catalog is secret until July 1st. I was unable to stock up on supplies to get a cheaper price. My demo is a busy person with a family she is not always able to contact me with news like this. Also her customers are not ordering right now as a result of the economic downturn. so I am unable to make a order worth my while because of shipping fees

Below is what I wrote on SplitCoast Stampers.



Actually I really shop around now. I am disappointed in the price increase too.

As I said in another thread there is a store in B.C. where I can get punches and some equipment that SU sells at least 4.00 dollars cheaper. So I will be buying there. I may always get paper from SU because of color match. Even so there are other companies who now attract my attention.

Recently purchased some Websters pages from my local Scrapbook store. I did all my teacher thank you cards with those papers. It cost me 10.00 dollars.

Are you hearing this Stampin Up?

Mewsin I have sent the above letter to Stampin Up

Mewsin 06-19-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirl (Post 14413338)
I recently wrote this on Splitcoast Stampers thread. I wanted to make sure you received a copy as well. I have been a loyal Stampin up customer for a while now but I am finding increasing difficult to remain loyal. Not only are there many companies offering the same type of supplies but they are offering it at less than your company.

We as Canadians are often told prices reflect the fact that our dollar is lower (thank you for adjusting your prices when our dollar went up). However it has happen again the Canadian dollar is down. Stampin up prices have gone up. Now I am given to understand the U.S. prices in your catalog remain the same. Unfair. Canadians are affected by the same economic downturn you are.

What has also offended me is that the Catalog is secret until July 1st. I was unable to stock up on supplies to get a cheaper price. My demo is a busy person with a family she is not always able to contact me with news like this. Also her customers are not ordering right now as a result of the economic downturn. so I am unable to make a order worth my while because of shipping fees

Below is what I wrote on SplitCoast Stampers.



Actually I really shop around now. I am disappointed in the price increase too.

As I said in another thread there is a store in B.C. where I can get punches and some equipment that SU sells at least 4.00 dollars cheaper. So I will be buying there. I may always get paper from SU because of color match. Even so there are other companies who now attract my attention.

Recently purchased some Websters pages from my local Scrapbook store. I did all my teacher thank you cards with those papers. It cost me 10.00 dollars.

Are you hearing this Stampin Up?

Mewsin I have sent the above letter to Stampin Up

That is a great letter.

I'm so sorry you aren't able to take advantage of the prices now. does your demo have a dbws that you can order from?

We were told the prices would be rising in May and I told my customers that then. I wanted to give them an opportunity to order before they went up. Sorry you weren't told then :(

donna1911 06-19-2009 03:10 PM

Gracey'sGirl....

Well Said and I completely agree.

I think we all should send an e-mail with our concerns..maybe it will help

Gracey'sgirl 06-19-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mewsin (Post 14415359)
That is a great letter.

I'm so sorry you aren't able to take advantage of the prices now. does your demo have a dbws that you can order from?

We were told the prices would be rising in May and I told my customers that then. I wanted to give them an opportunity to order before they went up. Sorry you weren't told then :(

Mewsin, I was more than likely told that prices were going up. My demo is a great person. I probably just forgot, either way I am not happy with the company. To freeze prices in the US and not give us a break is not right.

I am addicted to this craft. But believe me. I have bought less sets with SU.

Mewsin 06-19-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirl (Post 14415993)
Mewsin, I was more than likely told that prices were going up. My demo is a great person. I probably just forgot, either way I am not happy with the company. To freeze prices in the US and not give us a break is not right.

I am addicted to this craft. But believe me. I have bought less sets with SU.

I believe you ;) Sorry for the assumption :mrgreen:

Tornadogirl 06-19-2009 07:37 PM

Well, I too, sent an email to SU. I basically reiterated my concerns and told them that I may have to explore other options in the future.

It really pains me to say that as I love their product but I only have finite funds to spend on this hobby (well, let's be honest- this obsession). 10-15% really adds up!!!

Here's hoping we can make a difference!

RyansMom4Ever 06-19-2009 09:01 PM

I too will be writing to SU to tell them that I do not agree with their price increases. The stamp set "All in the Family is going up to $51.95 from $45.95 - that's a 12% increase! The colour caddy is going from $70.95 to 84.95 - that is a 17% increase! And the Many Marvelous Markers are going up to $179.95 from 158.95 - again a 12% increase! And the 12 pk Family colour markers are going up 17%! These examples are a long cry from the 10% increase they told us about.

Most of the really nice stamps sets will be priced over $40 and some over $50! As a new demo, I am going to find it very hard to convince potential customers that the products are worht it! I am a new demo and I know it will hurt my business alot! So who knows how long I will last as a demo...ebay prices are so much cheaper!

If SU wants to blame the dollar rate, then they should list the prices as American and then it would be fair for us Canadian to use the power of our dollar to our advantage when the dollar is low.

Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Chantal

Gracey'sgirl 06-19-2009 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Tornadogirl;14418253]Well, I too, sent an email to SU. I basically reiterated my concerns and told them that I may have to explore other options in the future.

It really pains me to say that as I love their product but I only have finite funds to spend on this hobby (well, let's be honest- this obsession). 10-15% really adds up!!!

Here's hoping we can make a difference![/QUOTe

It can not hurt!!! If enough people complain they may reduce prices in their mini's and maybe give Canadians sales.

Gracey'sgirl 06-19-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donna1911 (Post 14415884)
Gracey'sGirl....

Well Said and I completely agree.

I think we all should send an e-mail with our concerns..maybe it will help

Thank you for compliment

Tornadogirl 06-20-2009 06:22 AM

[quote=RyansMom4Ever;14418864]I too will be writing to SU to tell them that I do not agree with their price increases. The stamp set "All in the Family is going up to $51.95 from $45.95 - that's a 12% increase! The colour caddy is going from $70.95 to 84.95 - that is a 17% increase! And the Many Marvelous Markers are going up to $179.95 from 158.95 - again a 12% increase! And the 12 pk Family colour markers are going up 17%! These examples are a long cry from the 10% increase they told us about.

$84 for the Colour Caddy? Are they out of their mind???? Well it looks like I am going to have to look elsewhere....I am not spending an extra $14 for the colour caddy!!! I was also going to buy some markers but with a 17% increase...ya, no way that's going to happen.

(Sorry, if I seem crabby, I'm just REALLY disappointed in SU right now!) :x

Thanks so much for the heads up on the new prices though- time to make some decisions...

Tornadogirl 06-20-2009 06:23 AM

Apparently I don't know how to quote properly either! :)

tropicalsmiles 06-20-2009 06:57 AM

I believe that they should make it all the same price in the catty..so then charge US funds at least this way it is what ever the exchange rate is not what they think it should be at the time of print
With the way the economy is i belive this could hurt them along with the Canadian's pocket book..
this is so frustrating when the mark up is high already

Tornadogirl 06-21-2009 08:04 AM

Sigh, I guess my next question is- who else sells cardstock that has a doesn't have a white core? I have never bought anything else but SU...but my poor little pocketbook just can't take a beating with those proposed SU price hikes.

RyansMom4Ever 06-21-2009 08:54 AM

Creative Memories has solid cardstock but it is not as heavy as SU's - if you are making alot of cards to sell or give as gifts, I would strongly suggest to stick with SU c/s, unless you can find an exact weight at a lower price. I'm not saying this because I'm a demo - if you are selling cards, the quality of the SU c/s will attract more customers.

Happy Crafting!
Chantal

wenchie 06-21-2009 11:49 AM

Fat . . . dumb . . . and happy. That's the feeling I'm left with here.

There are a couple of things that cause me considerable angst.

1. SU insists on hiding behind it's demos. Not a great way to treat those who invest so much time and effort towards furthuring the success, really, of someone elses business.

2. The gross and obvious pricing inequities. As Canadians, we are by far outnumbered by our neighbors to the South, and perhaps our business is not as valued.

3. If you want to compare pricing, based on todays exchange rate, let's look at the math:

The US dollar today, according to the Bank of Canada, is .13 stronger. So, lets use the ribbon price comparison noted earlier:

US price = $9.95
CDN price = $14.95
True $ conversion @ .13 on the dollar = $11.23
Difference = $3.72 = .25 on the dollar. That's .12 over and above today's rate.

How do you feel now?

Add to this, the 10% shipping gouge that we're treated to as loyal customers.

Personally, I really REALLY hate paying for all that wood that I totally do not want!! But do they listen? nope . . . that's another discussion.

Now, let's put this into context. I just over paid $3.72 for a single item.

So, now, as a consumer I'm getter 12% less for my money, overcharged for shipping and forced to receive those bloody wood blocks that I do not want.

I'm not the type of consumer to waste time writing to a company to voice a complaint that I really well and truly believe they don't care about. I'll just walk quietly off into the sunset of their competitors arms.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:27 PM.