Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:26 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My photos of my cards look so sharp in Photoshop, but then...

I upload them and they look blurry.

It's driving me crazy. I put a six-shots-per-card limit on myself, to try to get the crazy under control. Six shots and pick the best one, this isn't an audition for a job as a photographer. (Not that I am a photographer by any stretch.)

But lately I've been exceeding my limit. An hour spent taking pictures of a card? This woman has lost her mind.

But if only I knew why my sharp images got all soft when I uploaded them and whether I could do anything about that or not. If I can, I want to. If I can't, I can let go of the crazy.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

They're too small. This one is only 376 wide, so that will definitely be fuzzy on upload. Larger is better, and .png > .jpg.

I do a minimum width of 650.

There is no file size limit here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Okay. I know we had this convo once before. I tried bigger and it didn't seem to help. But maybe I'll try bigger and .png. I have been saving as .jpeg.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Made it bigger (650 wide) and .png. Is it better? It still is losing something in translation. I saved the .png with least compression. I didn't know about the interlaced/interleaved thing. I'm new to .png.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Klimt Tag Card by Rachelrose - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers looks super crisp and clear to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for checking it out! I wonder if it's my display? It just looks so much sharper in Photoshop. And I have a Mac with a retina display, so I would think it would make everything look sharp.

Yeah, high-quality problem, I know. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Thanks for checking it out! I wonder if it's my display? It just looks so much sharper in Photoshop. And I have a Mac with a retina display, so I would think it would make everything look sharp.

Yeah, high-quality problem, I know. ;)!
It might be my eye sight but it looks sharp to me lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

It looked fine to me when I saw it earlier, Robin - and I was on my big PC screen, not just my phone ;-) But I know what you mean, sometimes I am sure mine look sharper before I upload them . I've now added a setting to my camera to take somewhat smaller pictures so that I don't have to change the size so much, I think that is helping a little. And I have always been a fan of png as a format, it's less lossy than jpg. I save with my larger dimension as 1000 pixels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Well, if nothing else, I've learned about png and using larger files. Good to know, I've always saved to jpeg. I thought everyone did.

It probably makes sense (to someone with more knowledge than I have) that something in Photoshop on my computer is going to look different from the same image uploaded and filtering through the internet.

Thanks, all. This has been a help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rachel, your card looks great to me. Of course, this is spoken by someone who uses a printer all-in-one to scan her cards. I'm envious of you guys who take such lovely pictures to post.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Bugga. But don't envy me. You're the one who has the skillful attitude. You're not the one who spent two hours taking pictures of a card this morning, when the very first shot would have sufficed to give anyone who cared to look a completely reasonable idea of what the card looked like! ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I looked at your card a bit ago and it looks just fine to me! I generally take ONE photo, do a bit of crop-and-enhance, and upload. The only time I re-take a shot is if I overlooked a wonky ribbon tail or something. Good enough is good enough, and I agree that "a completely reasonable idea of what the card looks like" is all we need to shoot for, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your cards are beautiful! I do feel the same about my uploads too, thinking we all do when viewing our own. I've had more luck with taking pics in natural sunlight. I recently purchased a cheap light box, but find it is a little too small to get a decent shot. I do think having the original in front of us makes any pic pale online, but wondering how some pics like on Pinterest look go good. I'm thinking they have some kind of software on Pinterest that enhances them upon upload.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

They all look great to me! Beautiful designs too, Rachael. I am looking at them on a MacBook Pro but they look fine on my husband's Windows laptop too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Sue, Anne and Cathy, for looking. I think I have unreasonable expectations (which wouldn't be the first time, in general) about them looking exactly like they do in Photoshop. There is going to be a difference between something you are working on that is in a program native to your computer and something coming through the additional filter of the internet.

I feel better. And I admire you, Sue. One picture. I was doing okay with six, and then I had a fit of WHY? and drove myself crazy (again, not the first time). The whole picture taking thing is something wish I had room to set up and leave up. But I have to clear my table and move lights and get out the tripod, etc. every time.

But now I'm ranting (not the first time).

Let's leave it at: thank you, all. I feel a lot better. And I will be working with bigger files and the png format in the future. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 12:59 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for checking it out! I wonder if it's my display? It just looks so much sharper in Photoshop.
It's worth checking whether your web browser is applying magnification. Not sure what Safari's indication would look like (assuming you're using Safari on your Mac) but I've done a screen shot of Firefox in case it helps you or anybody else - red circle round the bit showing the browser is set at 133%. To reset it to 100%, I'd just click where that number is.

Magnification can be useful for reading as it makes text bigger but it often seems to have the effect of making images look kind of "flabby" - so it would look fine when you edit in Photoshop but then looking at it in your web browser would be different.
Attached Thumbnails
My photos of my cards look so sharp in Photoshop, but then...-screenshotmagnification.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 03:25 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I do have my display resolution set above(below?) the native setting to make things a bit bigger. I've not reset anything in Safari, but maybe because it's an across-the-board display setting, it affects how things look in the browser.

Flabby is a good word, Joanne. To me the images look flabby. I guess the test would be to reset the display to the native setting and look again. Maybe I'll do that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but the lower the screen resolution the larger items will appear.

We were taught that to show items for a retina display, you had to save it at twice the regular size -- so if the picture is normally 600 pixels wide, it should be 1200 pixels wide.

In an ideal world you save two versions of the image -- regular size and 2x size. Then you write code to swap out the images based on the users monitor.

You may already know this, but there used to be a feature in photoshop called save to web.

You could play with the settings and get a preview of the final results. You can even zoom in to see just how pixelated the edges of an image are. I think this is still available as "Legacy Save to Web." If not, there's a new version of the same thing, although I can't remember the name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

It seems to only look "flabby" (That word was so spot on, Joanne) through Safari. I have a retina display, but in Photoshop it looks perfectly sharp.

I don't know about the save to web feature. I will check it out. Although, again, people keep telling me my pictures look sharp. And I've got my resolution set to that text is larger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

It seems to only look "flabby" (That word was so spot on, Joanne) through Safari. I have a retina display, but in Photoshop it looks perfectly sharp.
That's why I was looking for a browser-based solution rather than one that would be affecting your computer as a whole. It would also explain the difference between what you're seeing and the fact others are reporting seeing your images as sharp.

Hope you solve the issue, I hate a mystery!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

The problem is that they are too small, must contain minimum width of 650. Plus u can to use wider versions like .png > .jpg. In general, I had not encountered this problem, only when I started to edit my photos and use erase background online. After using them, the photo format gets bigger. The storage in some applications was too big, so I used the trick of increasing the picture's surface, and it worked. Now I'm just working with this trick, and it goes anywhere where I use it. Did you guys try?

Last edited by tayrolly; 06-20-2021 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

The problem is that they are too small, must contain minimum width of 650.
Reply With Quote Likes