Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Janome Sew Mini - sewing straight?

I just (finally) set up the Janome Sew Mini I bought six months ago. I don't know why I waited so long, because I know how to use a full-size sewing machine, although I have not owned one in years. Once I decided to take the thing out of the box it took me all of ten minutes to set it up.

I like this little guy, although after using a regular machine it does feel slow and a bit labored. And the lack of a light on it is annoying. But I think it will be fine for now.

But here's the only real gripe I have and I'm hoping some of you other Sew Mini users have some tips that can help me: On a regular machine there is a plate next to the presser foot that has lines on it so you can use them to keep yourself sewing straight. This machine has not got that. There's very little to line anything up with if you want to sew in a straight line, other than the slits below the presser foot.

I'm wondering if I could draw some parallel lines on a sticky label and stick it on the bobbin cover for at least something to use. Has anyone done this? Or some other workaround?

Or is everyone else having no problems sewing straight lines? Maybe it's just practice. ???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My daughter borrowed my Sew Mini and never brought it back, lol. So I don't have it here to look at. I think I know what you mean, though.

I think you could easily make a "grid" with some lines on it with a ruler and stick it on the plate of the machine.

Good luck! It is a nifty little machine, especially for paper crafting, but other sewing tasks as well. (That's why my daughter borrowed mine. )

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Bugga. I guess I'll try making some little guide thing on a label. (And of course there's always the distinct possibility that I am expecting to sew far more perfectly straight than is reasonable. Being the sort of person I am.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Could be your expectations are high, Rachel, lol. If you haven't sewed for a while, it will get better with practice.

The reason my daughter loves the Sew Mini is because it sews at just one speed, and slowly at that. She has always felt that my regular Singer machine "runs" away from her.

When I got the Mini a couple of years ago, I followed my normal pattern with some of my papercrafting tools. I was so excited to get it, and really was all stoked up about sewing on my cards. I sewed up a storm on a lot of cards, and then.....I didn't. Sewing on cards turned out to be a technique that just didn't stick with me.

In my defense, at least I did use it for a while. I still have a Cinch binding machine that is in the box, unused. :mrgreen:

I hope you enjoy using yours and look forward to seeing some of your projects when you're done.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Well, I'm kind of figuring out if sewing on cards IS going to be a technique I can use. That's why I got the Sew Mini. I figure if it ends up not working with the kind of cards I generally do, I'm not out much money. I love how it looks on other people's cards, but whether it will work with what I do... only time will tell.

The fact that I'm so hung up on it being dead straight is probably not a good sign, though. Although think of the personal growth if I could embrace the imperfection and go with it! ;-)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use coloured electricians tape as guides for sewing seams. I just tape it down on the base of the machine. I leave it there if it's a common width to use or just pull it up if it's a one time width.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

You could use a piece of window sheet or cardboard to make a sewing guide.
Mark your lines in different colors for a 1/4" (red), 3/8" (blue), 1/2" (green), etc.
Then tape the guide to your machine in the correct position from your needle.
I don't have the Janome Sew Mini, but I do teach sewing to kids and this seems to work for them. Perfection is not always wanted. I've seen some great cards with a more "doodling" free form.
One other tip: keep a needle just for paper crafting as opposed to sewing on fabric. Paper dulls the needle faster than fabric.
Hope you enjoy sewing on your cards.

My gallery has lots of cards with sewing on them, if you are interested:
Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - stampindoe - Handmade Cards & Crafts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for both of those suggestions! I'll give them a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Well, I'm kind of figuring out if sewing on cards IS going to be a technique I can use. That's why I got the Sew Mini. I figure if it ends up not working with the kind of cards I generally do, I'm not out much money. I love how it looks on other people's cards, but whether it will work with what I do... only time will tell.

The fact that I'm so hung up on it being dead straight is probably not a good sign, though. Although think of the personal growth if I could embrace the imperfection and go with it! ;-)!
I hear you, Rachel. I am inclined to want things straight and lined up, too. I have tried and tried to get into the "grungy" "shabby chic" thing and just cannot do it. I like looking at all the Tim Holtz stuff, but all the blobs and smears drive me crazy. My style is for things to line up straight and look as balanced as possible.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I'm collage-y but not vintage. I'd like to be more comfortable with a distressed style of card, because I admire them. So I keep trying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemurView Post
I use coloured electricians tape as guides for sewing seams. I just tape it down on the base of the machine. I leave it there if it's a common width to use or just pull it up if it's a one time width.
This was going to be my suggestion too! My mom used this method on her sewing machine.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use elastics around the base of my little sewing machine. I like the idea of putting a piece of tape down since it wouldn't move - unlike my elastics...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Elastics are an interesting idea because you can kind of lean the cardstock against it.

I think the painters tape is going to be my first thing to try. I have rolls of it. Thanks for that!

And I do realize that I need to practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose you could use both. I would write the measurements on the tape - like a sticky back tape measure - and then place the elastic where you want to butt the card up to. With my old sewing machine, which happens to be made of all metal, I have a guide that is magnetic that I can use like that. I love that thing when I am sewing, but the new machines are all plastic so I can't use it on my new machine...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a Sharpie to mark on packing tape and stick it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Just spotted this now.
Robin - I would definitely say don't get hung up on dead straight! If that's the case, you're also going to experience angst at every single corner, LOL, because paper doesn't have the same "give" that fabric does to allow you to stretch it so that corners are precise, and you may end up with the stitching along one edge being further in from the edge of the card than it is along the first edge before you turned the corner. And corners with zig-zag stitching are even harder to get looking perfect OK. Hence the fact that I very often go for two or three sets of slightly wavy stitching ;-).
I think it's definitely one of those things when practice helps tune your eye.
But I'm just thinking on the fly here - you must be sewing quite far in on the card to need any guide on the footplate? I think I just use the presser-foot as my guideline.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Not EXACTLY on topic: I have this Janome Sew Mini and I can't adjust the tension. Top needle tension is too tight. I have changed from #1 to #5, and done it with presser foot up and down...and it does not change. I have hardly used the machine since I got it 2 yrs ago, and now the stitches look really bad. Anyone know how to adjust this?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Sabrina, I'd love to be able to do the wavy lines like you do! I love the way that looks. I definitely have had to conclude that there really is no getting a perfectly straight line, much as I would like to. So I'm practicing my wavy lines. But I'm not good enough to risk ruining a card yet. I can't get my lines to look fluid and I sometimes run right off the side of the card. I have your card in front of me as an inspiration. Do you draw out any kind of guide before you sew or do you just run off those lovely curves on the fly!

Yes, sewing on paper is not like sewing on fabric.

As to the tension adjustment - I'm glad you brought it up, Harvestmoon. I know that you adjust tension up or down according to whether you can see the bottom thread from the top or visa versa. I tried working with black thread and a red bobbin and I could not get the machine adjusted so that I could not see black from the bottom or red from the top. But this, again, might be because it's paper and so the holes the needle makes don't close up around the thread like they would with fabric. Someone else weighing in on this would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 06:59 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of buying a sewing machine. I usually do everything with a needle. Is a mini sewing machine suitable for small DIY home decor objects?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemurView Post

I was gonna suggest trying painter’s tape to start - that way, you can easily move it if you need to make adjustments. Maybe using electricians tape when you’re sure where you want it to be??

Oops - I didn’t see the date this thread originally started. The OP has probably long since figured things out.

LisaHunteriQy18 - have you looked at reviews online for the machine(s) you’re considering? I’m curious cause I have a really old Singer sewing machine and have been debating having it tuned up vs buying something new. I don’t really sew so a fancy machine is not needed.

Last edited by PJBstamper2; 09-26-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes