Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2004, 02:34 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm a beginner, and I'm a SU addict already!!

LOL!

I'm new to the board too, it's wonderful!! But anyway, I am seriously thinking after spending $300 last month!! (yes one month) on stampin up stuff, I should just become a demonstrator! But I'm a beginner to stamping, I have been scrapbooking for a few years but not really stamping. I'm a pretty quick study and have started making cards since I started buying Stampin Up stamps, but does it make sense to become a demo just for me to get the discount? I seriously think I want every stamp in the catalog!! My roomate thinks I'd be great at it because I'm so excited about it and I've been talking her ear off ever since I started making cards. I asked my sorority sisters if they'd be interested and they said they'd love to try it, they're all scrappers too rather than stampers. So do you think someone who's really only been stamping a month or two and has never even been to a stampin up party could become a demonstrator? If I'd become one last month I would have made the minimum for the quarter on my own already! lol I figure what do I have to lose right? I'm a full time civil engineer so this would just be a part time job to support my hobby.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 02:36 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought my first SU stamps in June and am now a demo - I never attended a party of any sort but loved at first sight!! I figured I could earn enough to support the stamps I purchase for myself! So I think if you have been excited about it - you should go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 02:42 PM   #3  
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default SU

If you love it that much, I say "GO FOR IT". I'd never been to a party or ever hosted any kind of party in my life when I was first introduced to SU and I signed up almost immediately. I've loved every minute of it. The products are great in card/craft making and in scrapbooking. I was in a scrapbook store today and I thought to myself how glad I was that I didn't go in there when I first started scrapbooking. I would have been totally overwhelmed.

Good luck with your decision and have fun stamping!

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 02:43 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

That's just how I feel, just love at first sight! I've been reading a lot of posts about becoming a demo and even searched on google to compare all the other companies that work like SU, but the bottom line is I just LOVE the stamp designs from SU! I look at the catalog non-stop! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 02:56 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Go ahead, sign on! Especially if you've already spent that $300! I became a demo in August and I love it! I haven't even done a workshop yet and my total sales are already almost $1000. It would be worth it just for the discount, but you might be surprised who would be interested in purchasing stamps. Plus, you get all sorts of sources for great ideas and meet great people being a demo! If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you! Let us know what you decide!

Mandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 02:58 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I was only a beginner at Scrapbooking when I attended a SU party. I instantly became hooked and figured that I'd have to have EVERYTHING, so I decided rather than spending 300.00 on a Kit that the demonstrator had created that I'd invest in becoming a demonstrator. In my opinion, if you love the product that much and are eager to show evenybody you meet then YES sign up. One thing with SU that is nice is the minimun targets to remain active are so simple to achieve. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 03:31 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Yep, go ahead and do it! You won't be sorry!! I went to a party last November, then started going to Stamp Camps at a new demo's house in February. I placed a "large" order that month, and then continued ordering in March, April, May and June, after each Stamp Camp. I decided to sign on in July, as soon as my demo/upline got back from Convention.

I love it!! Even if it's just for the discount, there are so many advantages. But if you're that excited about it, you no doubt will be wanting to share your love of stamping and SU with your friends and family. I had an Open House and about 6 people came and they ordered over $500 worth of stuff. Then I had a workshop and 3 people came - and that was $150! And that wasn't even with that much effort! I only picture it expanding!!

When you buy from yourself, you not only get the discount, but you get the hostess benefits (if you're holding your own house or workshop or stamp camp - if you have someone else as hostess, they get the benefits, but you still get the instant income). Free stamp sets and free $$ worth of stuff is great! I was pleasantly surprised when I got a check in the mail for $64! Now I've earned my Stampin' Start, so I'll be able to get any two stamp sets in the catalog for free!!! I also got the Hostess Appreciation sets for both the Summer Mini and the Holiday Mini!! It just doesn't end!

And y'know what? You really don't need to SELL the stuff. You just need to show them and demonstrate what you can do. SU stuff sells itself. You'd be surprised how many people have no clue what stamping is, let alone Stampin Up! And how quickly they jump on the bandwagon. These days, we need a creative outlet and there's just something about creating something with your own hands, even if you're not at all artistic/creative!!

I think I've talked enough for now!! LOL!

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #8  

Definately go for it!! SU offers a lot for scrapping so I think that you will pull in your sorority sister plus excitement is contagious so that will work in your favor. Good luck

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 04:04 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all so much! I think I'm going to do it!! I'm sure I could go 6 months just buying my own $300 a quarter!! I have a demo, but she's also very new to stampin up. I wonder if I should meet some others before signing with any. The demo that I have been meeting with now is very high energy and really seems to love it, so maybe I should just go with her. I'll have to think about that one! Thanks again everyone for the advice! It's just what I wanted to hear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 04:14 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Default I'm a beginner and already an SU addict!

I think you would make a great demo.
I've been a demo for 5 years and had only seen one workshop before I signed up. I love stamping and scrapbooking so much that I knew I needed to join. The discount really helps too. Think about buying the add on kit for $50, it's great for the scrappers...your sorority sisters and you'll get to meet so many new people too.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 05:45 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default Go for it!

Before becoming a demonstrator, I was one of those people who worked all the time and hardly did anything for myself! I was one on those people who laughed at people that had that much time to make cards and scrapbook. I am now an addict. My husband comes home, takes a shower, takes the girls for a walk and I make a beeline the the scrapbook room! Yes...room! I say, a discount is a discount! If you can get 20% off of stamps and accessories, do it. The starter kit is well worth the $199 and the add on kit is just as useful. I love SU! Most of the stamps can be used with other sets, unlike the ones you spend so much money on in the stores and can't find a match. Word of advise...make sure you have room. Cabinets, drawers, chests! Believe me, if you've spent that much already, just wait!! Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

You should go for it!! I signed up after going to a workshop and have loved it!! I just had my 1st anniv. with SU! So many fun and exciting things about being a demo that you don't get as a customer!!
Good Luck! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Welcome, Carpecakem...

I have only attended my own demo I hosted in May and signed up almost immediately afterward as I fell in love with EVERYTHING and just had to have it!

I have already sold/spent over $1500.00 worth of stuff and have only had 2 demonstrations and a once a month stamping/scrapping night with my friends, who by the way are my BEST customers.

I have learned a TON of information her on this site as well as my one level upline hosts a monthly Saturday morning mini stamp camp and does all sort of fancy things she's learned here.

Even if I didn't have her, I still learn TONS of information here and everyone here is SO helpful! Don't forget to cruise the galleries and see for yourself all the wonderful samples of things you can make using stamping up products.

Sounds like you'd be great at it!

Interesting name, btw. LOL

Cindy Lou Who
aka
crazedstamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

DO IT!!! I went to two gatherings and thought "I can do this! I love it so much!!!" I joined in May and haven't look back since...yes, I am my own best customer. However, I do sell some and get to make a few bucks in the process...Of course :oops: I spent all the profit on "STUFF"!

You will not regret it. Do it!
Member #4235
Check out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all for the encouragement! People here are so motivational! I really appreciate the advice! I have an order coming in any day from my demo and I'll talk to her about it when she calls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Go for it!!!

You sound just like me. I went to my first SU workshop in June of 2002 and knew immediately this was what I had been looking for. I LOVE IT!! The first night I only slept a few hours because I couldn't put the catalog down. I decided to become a demo in January 2003 and I've NEVER regretted it. I have met so many wonderful people, learned so much about rubber stamping and I seem to get better and better and more creative all the time. That's because we all share what we love with each other.

I LOVE STAMPIN' UP and it sounds like you do to. So, go for it, girlfriend!!

Linda Grames
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2004, 05:42 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I also have still never been to workshop, and am now a demonstrator I really am not in the whole sales pitch/pressure at a party, so I just went on the website and found my demo (now my upline) and just went over on my own in May 2004. And I was hooked. So I signed up at the end of July. If stamping is something that you know you will enjoy - then a discount is a discount

I plan on just being a discount demo and have decided to share/pass the discount on to a couple of very close friends and family, who I honestly could never imagine making a profit off of. And you know what, last weekend, which is my 1st first weekend of the 1st quarter of having to make a minimum, my future SIL, who I am giving my discount to, brought her friends over to my house to learn how to stamp, after seeing one of my cards. They all loved it, and each of the friends bought something and voila, I already made my minimum for the quarter. I got the hostess dollars, since I did it at my house, and the hostess set. So that combined with the money I made, will go towards my Christmas card supplies So you never really know unless you try. Plus there's no penalty if it doesn't work. I know that I can probably indefinitely make the minumum on my own if no one helped me, between my scrapbooking and card-making. But it's nice to know that I will have some help, just in case there's a quarter I can't. HTH ~Maria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2004, 07:08 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Go for it!!!

I have still NEVER attended a workshop or stamp camp.....I ordered one set of Stampin' Pastels, recieved a GORGEOUS card as a thank you from the demonstrator....FELL IN LOVE WITH SU! and began purchasing the retiring sets from the 2003-04 catty in July. By the end of July I was a demonstrator myself!!! I have spent well over $5000.00 of my own money.... : (well, the credit card companies money!) on my own supplies/accessories and am COMPLETELY ADDICTED!! I LOVE to create and think that SU! is the BEST company out there!! EVERYTHING is QUALITY from what I can see...and they treat me very well. My only complaint is BACKORDERS AND SLOWED SHIPPING due to their warehouse move...but I can deal with that! I say go for it if you love it! I don't regret it one bit! It's my therapy, my fun, my passion, and my addiction!
Karol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

I was the same way. I went to get information on a "Stamper's 10" group to see if I wanted to join and when I looked through the catalog I had two thoughts. #1 I want everything! and #2 I could start my own club or group and get the discount for myself! I joined in June and have a SCAT (Scrapbooking and Card making All Together) group that meets once a month. I easily meet the quota and get a discount on my orders. I have to admit that I make no money (spend it all on stamp - I have 48 sets so far) :oops: but I have a blast and it supplements my habit. My husband even sees how much fun we have and is remodeling an 18ft by 12ft room in our basement for my SCAT group. I'll post pics when it's done. If I'd stay off of the gallery pages I might be able to curb my need for stamps :P Well I say join. It's a great company with great products and you will have a blast doing it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 12:27 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

When I signed up to be a demo I had never even picked up a stamp! I found the catalog on Ebay when I was looking for a different scrapbooking item. As soon as I saw the Catalog I was in love and knew I had to be a demo. I phoned all the crafty people I knew and none of them had heard of Stampin' Up! so I figured it wasn't available in Canada. A few months later a friend of mine was invited to a SU party, she signed up that night and I signed up a week later under her. Neither of us had ever stamped before so we learnt togehter. We also have a very supportive and knowledgeable upline.

My advice is sign up! Don't worry about being inexperienced, you will be amazed at how quickly you pick things up. This site is also a fantastic resource.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 02:20 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I wish I had signed up as a demo sooner because I was easily spending $300 a month by myself! I could have saved at least 20% all that time. (a year)

Go for it, girlfriend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome to splitcoast!
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 04:03 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I too have only been stampin for about a year and a half but I love it. I went to my first SU! Party in Feb of 2003, had a party in July at my house and was a demo in August!!! I love doing it and I am thrilled to have found SCS! It really is a great place to learn and share your enjoyment...and just a little side note, if you are interested, once you become a demo there a an entire other section of this site that is for demos only to discuss business ideas, workshop ideas, hostess ideas and other stuff!! So that is an added benefit to joining SU! LOL If you have more questions you just feel free to ask away we are all very willing to lend a hand!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome to Splitcoast and welcome to stamping! It sounds like you've pretty much decided to sign up so be sure to pick a demo that YOU feel comfortable with. It helps to have someone local to help out or borrow things from, but it's not a necessity. I was pretty much on my own from the start (talk about splitcoast uplines NJ-CA!) but I do OK! It all depends on what you want to do with your business and how much support you desire from your upline.

I love it, it's a great outlet for me and FUN! If you have any more questions, ask away! There is a WEALTH of information available to you and all of us on SCS are pretty nice, too!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 08:51 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks all for the wonderful welcome and encouragment! My hope for now is to just make the minimum and then get the discount! I have a feeling that will be very easy with just my own order! lol I'm really not looking to make money just looking to pay for my crafting stuff, if it can do that then I'll have a whole lot more money going toward savings! lol Thanks again everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Amy now all we need is for you to get a picture up so we can see your smiling face! If you need a hand getting it to the right size, 80 by 80 pixels you can email it to me and I will resize and send it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

what does a demo pay for the stamp sets? i think i would like to do it also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just sent you an email about this...
Reply With Quote Likes