Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you set goals to use your supplies...did it help?

Feeling kind of guilty lately about having many unused or underused stamping supplies, especially stamp sets themselves. I was thinking of setting a goal of using a new stamp set each week and making at least one card with it. Then if I feel I won't use it again which I can see happening with many of them, then I will try and purge. My other goal is to send out at least one card a month. I previously posted about not having enough people to send cards to but am going to think more creatively about this. So I just wondered if anyone has done anything like this with setting goals and how it worked . I don't want to take the fun out of this as it is a hobby first and foremost but would love to feel less guilt every time I want to order anything new. . Of course, there is nothing to keep me on track with this but my own internal motivation so we'll see how that goes! I'm also going to stop watching you tube videos so much . I don't know about anyone else but these are the main motivation for my buying new supplies as we have no more stores around here.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember there used to be a challenge? goal? Forum? Something I did ages ago called "Stamp to Spend" here on SCS that I participated in... it helped me a little... but I wasn't very good at keeping up the spreadsheet. I should set a goal for myself this year to use more of my stuff, but I don't think I'll try to track it digitally again. Probably just mark it in my planner? I'm interested to see what others do, as well. I hope you find something that works for you!

Last edited by meeyore151; 01-20-2017 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: removed annoying repetition
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

There are several challenge forums that can help you with this goal- the USEIT2017 Challenge focuses on creating cards/projects with stamps, dies, paper, etc. that have not been used in a while (or ever) and the Stamp To Spend S2S17 Challenge is also a great challenge to keep your mind set on using what you have before spending additional $$ :-)

USEIT2017 Challenge Group by Julie Gearinger at Splitcoaststampers

S2S17 Challenges by yellowrose46 at Splitcoaststampers

There may be others as well- hope this helps and know that you are not alone :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have not done this but maybe this will help? Pick the 4 sets for the month, stacked in the order you want to do them.

Our minds are malleable....take the position this is exciting and fun and you cant wait to try that set instead of feeling guilty and pressured to do it. Look at it in advance and think about how you want to color it or what background is going to be so cool with it...go positive!

Who to give them to? Do you have charities around you really like, or a church, or something? I think you talked about that before...I cant remember the answer. Did you check around? Maybe an animal shelter or an old foks home...They can either use them or sell them to make money. Then you are having fun and saving a pup or making a senior smile or helping to put in a new church window or whatever. A two-fer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Things worked out fairly well for me last year! I decided to use at least 3 or more 'stash' items and so far I haven't bought a single piece of cardstock ..except white.. since January 1st. 2016!! I feel good about that. This year the resolution will continue and maybe throw in a 'no new stamp set' resolution too. I mean really... how many 'Happy Birthdays' does one really need!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's my goal for 2017, and so far so good!

Let me start by saying that I like to plan, to have to-do lists and to be logical and organized when it comes to goals. Once I decide to do something, I find it easiest to first do some research and then make a plan. Just saying "oh, I'm not going to shop" doesn't work because I don't want to just stop shopping and sit here completely miserable. I want the experience to be positive, so that I'm not denying myself something I really want. Instead, I'm shifting my focus and challenging myself and my perceptions.

I did a spending freeze on and off last year, too, just to get a feel of how to best manage not shopping and actually using things (vs. just not crafting in between designated shopping sprees like I did during my previous spending freezes). And it was a very successful and enlightening process. It really helped me put a solid plan for my 2017 goals, so that I'm moving forward instead of flailing and failing right as the year starts.

So, the first thing I did was look through a year's worth of orders and try to identify patterns. What happened around the time I made orders? I looked at both personal life and crafty happenings such as company product releases, seasonal sales, etc. I made a list of which months were the busiest (spending-wise), and which stores I shopped at the most often.

Then, I highlighted the products I used or used up from that year's worth of orders. I referred to my blog and pictures I snapped of cards in 2015/2016. This was a challenge at first, because I had to remind myself that I wasn't doing it to feel guilty. I just really needed to have a factual connection between what I spend and use, so that I can make better buying choices when I go back to spending or when I de-clutter/destash my crafty stash.

With all this data, I was able to figure out a few of my shopping triggers and found strategies that work for me:
1) Sales
I just couldn't resist the big sales, the special coupons and the "retiring products" sections. My resistance basically crumbled with each of those, but I didn't use all of - or even majority of - what I bought. For example, I found a fantastic deal on some stamps I really wanted during Black Friday in 2015, and I still hadn't used them when Black Friday of 2016 rolled around.
So, my solution is to actively avoid sales. I've unsubscribed from e-mails, FB groups and so forth that were all about sales, and I don't click on posts and thread that mention coupons or discounts. This means I will get less product for my money, but I will also get products that are more carefully chosen and suit my needs better.
2) New Product Releases
When a company I like and support has a new release, I'm almost always majorly tempted to order it right away - especially when they have an amazing design team that comes up with great card samples and projects. While this could be manageable if I only had one or two companies I followed, it's definitely not an option when I have 50 companies and designers I love.
So, I gave myself a challenge. When a company has a new release, I pick a stamp I have from them that I haven't used yet and make a card. For example, after seeing Lawn Fawn's new CHA sneak-peeks, I took out the Lovable Legends stamp set. I bought that set a little while back, but never inked it up. And now, I'm excited to see what cards I can make with it.
If a release is from a new company that I don't have stamps from, I grab a stamp that's similar in theme (ex. flower, cute critter, etc) or a stamp that's been retired that I love the style of.
3) Making an Order
For me, making one order seems to open the floodgates (so to speak!) and I end up making 3-4 orders shortly after that first one. Sometimes it's because I remember something I wanted to get, but didn't. Other times it's because I do the cart dance where I take things in and out of the cart and then regret removing it because I really do need it (and then add another few things so shipping isn't a waste).
I just gave myself a rule of waiting for at least 2 weeks between orders. 2 weeks is generally enough time for that order to get here, and to be put away or used. And after waiting for those 2 weeks, I generally find that the "need" to buy something else is gone.

After phasing out shopping, I also gave myself a few projects to help me use up my stash better.
- I make a Stash Kit every month with stamps, paper and embellishments I want to use throughout that month, I aim to make 12-15 cards with those supplies alone, and then I also blog about extra cards I've been inspired to make using non-kit supplies.
I like having that focus each month and I'm always left feeling like I really gave each supply a good workout. I'm going to continue working on them monthly in 2017 (and probably beyond!).
- I just started another project called "Bits and Pieces". I always stamp out, color and die-cut extras when working with a stamp or die - just in case I mess up. I keep those extras in a little container, and I'll be periodically use them for quick-n-easy cards I can give away as a gift or add to my card stash.
- I will be starting a "Card Essentials" stash this month, so that I'm not always making a card at the last minute. I want to have 60 finished cards on hand for different occasions (baby, wedding, sympathy, etc), and I'd also like to gift an essentials stash like this to a couple of family members. So, I've got a list of themes to work with and a goal to work towards - and that helps a lot to keep me on track and focused on my current supplies.

Phew! That was a long answer, sorry! :oops:
But, it felt good to type out and share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
That's my goal for 2017, and so far so good!
Let me start by saying that I like to plan, to have to-do lists and to be logical and organized when it comes to goals. Once I decide to do something, I find it easiest to first do some research and then make a plan. Just saying "oh, I'm not going to shop" doesn't work because I don't want to just stop shopping and sit here completely miserable. I want the experience to be positive, so that I'm not denying myself something I really want. Instead, I'm shifting my focus and challenging myself and my perceptions.
I did a spending freeze on and off last year, too, just to get a feel of how to best manage not shopping and actually using things (vs. just not crafting in between designated shopping sprees like I did during my previous spending freezes). And it was a very successful and enlightening process. It really helped me put a solid plan for my 2017 goals, so that I'm moving forward instead of flailing and failing right as the year starts.
So, the first thing I did was look through a year's worth of orders and try to identify patterns. What happened around the time I made orders? I looked at both personal life and crafty happenings such as company product releases, seasonal sales, etc. I made a list of which months were the busiest (spending-wise), and which stores I shopped at the most often.
Then, I highlighted the products I used or used up from that year's worth of orders. I referred to my blog and pictures I snapped of cards in 2015/2016. This was a challenge at first, because I had to remind myself that I wasn't doing it to feel guilty. I just really needed to have a factual connection between what I spend and use, so that I can make better buying choices when I go back to spending or when I de-clutter/destash my crafty stash.
With all this data, I was able to figure out a few of my shopping triggers and found strategies that work for me:
1) Sales
I just couldn't resist the big sales, the special coupons and the "retiring products" sections. My resistance basically crumbled with each of those, but I didn't use all of - or even majority of - what I bought. For example, I found a fantastic deal on some stamps I really wanted during Black Friday in 2015, and I still hadn't used them when Black Friday of 2016 rolled around.
So, my solution is to actively avoid sales. I've unsubscribed from e-mails, FB groups and so forth that were all about sales, and I don't click on posts and thread that mention coupons or discounts. This means I will get less product for my money, but I will also get products that are more carefully chosen and suit my needs better.
2) New Product Releases
When a company I like and support has a new release, I'm almost always majorly tempted to order it right away - especially when they have an amazing design team that comes up with great card samples and projects. While this could be manageable if I only had one or two companies I followed, it's definitely not an option when I have 50 companies and designers I love.
So, I gave myself a challenge. When a company has a new release, I pick a stamp I have from them that I haven't used yet and make a card. For example, after seeing Lawn Fawn's new CHA sneak-peeks, I took out the Lovable Legends stamp set. I bought that set a little while back, but never inked it up. And now, I'm excited to see what cards I can make with it.
If a release is from a new company that I don't have stamps from, I grab a stamp that's similar in theme (ex. flower, cute critter, etc) or a stamp that's been retired that I love the style of.
3) Making an Order
For me, making one order seems to open the floodgates (so to speak!) and I end up making 3-4 orders shortly after that first one. Sometimes it's because I remember something I wanted to get, but didn't. Other times it's because I do the cart dance where I take things in and out of the cart and then regret removing it because I really do need it (and then add another few things so shipping isn't a waste).
I just gave myself a rule of waiting for at least 2 weeks between orders. 2 weeks is generally enough time for that order to get here, and to be put away or used. And after waiting for those 2 weeks, I generally find that the "need" to buy something else is gone.

After phasing out shopping, I also gave myself a few projects to help me use up my stash better.
- I make a Stash Kit every month with stamps, paper and embellishments I want to use throughout that month, I aim to make 12-15 cards with those supplies alone, and then I also blog about extra cards I've been inspired to make using non-kit supplies.
I like having that focus each month and I'm always left feeling like I really gave each supply a good workout. I'm going to continue working on them monthly in 2017 (and probably beyond!).
- I just started another project called "Bits and Pieces". I always stamp out, color and die-cut extras when working with a stamp or die - just in case I mess up. I keep those extras in a little container, and I'll be periodically use them for quick-n-easy cards I can give away as a gift or add to my card stash.
- I will be starting a "Card Essentials" stash this month, so that I'm not always making a card at the last minute. I want to have 60 finished cards on hand for different occasions (baby, wedding, sympathy, etc), and I'd also like to gift an essentials stash like this to a couple of family members. So, I've got a list of themes to work with and a goal to work towards - and that helps a lot to keep me on track and focused on my current supplies.

Phew! That was a long answer, sorry! :oops:
But, it felt good to type out and share.

I'm going to print out your post for future reference. Great ideas and I want to incorporate them (or some variation) in my own life. I'm working on making a lot of changes right now, so it will be quite some time before I accomplish all my goals. Your post gives me a great foundation for one aspect of my life. Thanks.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Wow, Elle, your reply is very thought provoking! Good for you for figuring out how and why you make those purchases! I know the one thing I have stopped doing is buying stamps that are being cleared out and retired. I know that they are a good deal, but I also know I will want whatever they are coming out with new.

The other thing that struck a chord is buying enough stuff to get free shipping. That is always a hard decision!

Anyhow, back to the OP. Yes, I have made goals to use stuff I already have. I tend to approach it by going through all my stamps every other month and then setting out the sets I need to use for the first time, or that I have not used in a while. Having the one or two sets out on my desk does get me to use them.

That way, I keep in mind what I have. I sometimes will pull one or two out to give away.

Second, I try to also rotate which coloring supplies I have out. If it is out, I am going to use it. Then I use more of those too!

Lastly, less often, I go through other supples and see what is not used. For example I found a pot of Faber Castell Glaze medium I have had a year and not used. So I put on my "to do" list a technique that uses that glaze. I look at that list weekly.

One thing that I will say is that I do not always get completed card projects when I make things. And when that happens I am okay with it.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 02:48 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I have been good about using up old embellishments (think a million buttons and almost that many tags). I got them all organized and labeled and they are out where I can see 'em. Also, I feel badly for lots of old stamp sets that I saved because I liked them. I pulled out about five sets and am using them on a big Thank You Card project. I quit buying 12x12 patterned paper a few years ago and my stash is definitely going down. Every little step helps.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I highly recommend consolidating all product for a specific theme to see what you have but brace yourself.

A few years back I gathered up everything Christmas related and put it in one place. It was an eye opener because the large drawer I put everything in was jam packed with stuff. While stamps and dies took up a good portion of the drawer, the amount of consumables like paper, stickers, ribbon and pre /already cut dies was embarrassing and a bit overwhelming. After several years of "use what I have", my stash has been reduced. I hope to use up most of the remainder in 2017.

I have only made 2 Christmas related purchased in those years. A 4 x 6 paper pack I found on clearance and liked ,which is almost completely used up btw. I also rewarded myself last year with three new stamps, two of which were inside sentiment stamps. Those were well worth it I thought as I just could not use the same ol' ones yet again. The other was from a company that ended up retiring last year, really glad I got it while I could.

Interestingly those 2 small purchases helped inspire my "use it up" goal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

My goals are a little less formal, and my plan for 2017 is to break it down into months. For January, I have "no new stamps" and "use designer paper supply." So far so good on the stamps, though it helps that the SU Salebration wasn't a huge draw for me this year (talk about being a sucker for sales--that one almost always gets me). I've had some 12x12 paper pads for years and years. I know I'll never use them for cards, so I just started making envelopes with them. AND I managed to resist buying an envelope punch board and just used my MS scoreboard. Whew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:12 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I understand your feelings....I too do not have a list of 100 friends to send birthday and thank you cards too. But I love making cards. So I make Christmas cards and donate to an organization that collects cards for nursing homes. I love making the cards and I feel good that someone is getting them.
It has stopped me from buying every cool stamp set on the market. Also to stop the spending I have unsubscribed from just about everything and deleted almost all apps from my iPad
I also make myself goals for the month, such as use cork on a card or make twelve Christmas card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

So many good thoughts and some very deep diving introspection! Loving that envelope idea!

Last few months I have mostly been only getting the necessaries like WC paper. I just got a bunch at Dick Blick with their huge back to school sale but still cant afford the Arches. Dang that is pricey!

I say never feel guilty. It is still sitting there and usable! Not like it goes bad. (mostly) So just go shopping in your own stash. With my memory...pffft. Not surprised when I think "when did I get this?" So I can totally suprise myself and I chose to have fun with that. Like "oh cool! I have this!"

My change is to write down the ideas I have when I buy something...otherwise I forget what faaaaabullous idea I had that prompted the buy. :rolleyes: I get ideas ALL the time. I dont know why because when I actually sit down to work....I can go totally blank. :shock::confused::mad::eek:Whatever psych thing that is...I am going to get around it by keeping my notepad with me all the time.

I can have the equivalent of "eyes too big for your stomach"...I see techniques I want to do and before I just get a couple things to try it...I could be investing. And then find out I cant do it or I dont like it. So I want to change that.

So those three things. Shop the stash, write it down, and back off new techniques till I do what I have...or only get the MINIMUM I have to. I dont want to overload.

Then it is just make the time to make the cards!!! That will be big for me. Stop letting the world get in my way and then before I know it a whole month has gone by and I am pissed.

Edit: Oy. The answer is YES to the OP. I decided to only get basic supplies for the past few months and it is working. So I am going to try these things now-I only mention it b/c I want to point out that I am coming from a happy place about it which I find more successful.

Last edited by wavejumper; 01-25-2017 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post

Love the idea of making a "stash kit"! I'm going to give that a try.

I'm not very good at keeping resolutions. Last year, I made a resolution to make one card a week that used some dp on it (in an effort to use up some of my stash). I was good for a few weeks and then never seemed to do it. Maybe I need to just accept that using dp on my cards is no longer my style and I should just get rid of most of my dp!!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE this thread! I have way more stuff than 5 people need. To help use it up I belonged to a Magnolia group for several years. The problem - every time i saw a card I liked, I had to buy the dies, stamps, etc that were used. That group was shut down about a year ago.
I didn't do much stamping for about a year. Then with itchy fingers, I joined the SCS BRAK group - a great place to assure I will make at least 3 or 4 b-day cards each month. At the same time I set up a list of family/friends b-days that I wanted to make cards for. Some are more highly decorated than others. AND I get them done in time to mail for the birthday.
Then I most recently joined the SCS 2017 Christmas Card Challenge with a goal of 2 cards per month. I will probably make more than 2 each month. I make "fancy" Christmas cards for family as that's what several have told me they would like. Some months the CCC theme will lend itself to fancy cards and other months a more simple card will be in order.
So far I have the 2 Christmas cards finished and have b-day cards for family done through February (there were only 4 for Jan and Feb combined)

This seems like a workable solution for me instead of a panic thrash to get family cards done for Christmas and to have b-day ones done ahead of time.

Making cards is supposed to be fun! And this puts the fun back in it for me. This also relieves the stress of trying to get everything done at the last minute.
Hope this helps someone else!

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

When I set a goal, it better be: 1) specific, 2) positive, 3) achievable or broken into tiny steps, and 3) at least somewhat somewhat fun, or I'll never, ever work on it. And it usually is inspired by something outside of me.

Years ago I needed to declutter our "wreck" room, which had dozens of boxes that had never been unpacked from a move years before, mountains of books, etc. It was a huge job. I finally tackled it by setting a goal of working for 5 minutes 5 days a week. Not an hour or 30 minutes. Five. That takes care of feeling overwhelmed. I bought a timer in a fun color and set it. And of course I generally stayed much longer, but if I did 5 minutes? Success. That's how I have to set up goals. Teensy. Fun-ish.

In 2017 I want to stretch my stamps and creativity, so put 5 sets (since I couldn't decide on one) into a container, pulled one out and will use it for a month, in at least 4 ways. I don't have to finish a project as long as I work with it for at least ... 5 minutes.

Sets are in Avery Elle envelopes, so all the same size. if they weren't, I'd write the names on slips of paper and select one.

I've posted this quote before, and it is my inspiration. Laura Bassen is a graphic designer and card maker. I transcribed it from a video interview (episode 11 on onlinecardclasses, Jennifer McGuire's and Kristina Werner's site). Listening to it provoked an "aha" moment, the external inspiration I need. (laurafadora/doublestick heaven)

"When I wasn't doing this for a job, I only had a small amount of stuff, since I was very frugal, and only bought what I absolutely loved. And when I had that, I'd push the creativity level with each product - not just two times, not just three, and would find - oh my gosh - you could really push the envelope when you stay at a product. I knew if I pushed, something amazing could come out, but I don't have the time to push to do a second and a third and a fourth project with one product. And I know it deserves that."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 07:41 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

On a company message board I am an organizer on I did my own personal challenge to use all of their stamps. I have a LOT of their sets, so my challenge was to use at least 3 different stamps from each large set and the entire small stamp set. I thought I would be done in a year - but that's only if you stop buying! I started that challenge 3-4 years ago and have never been officially "finished", but I don't feel guilty about buying sets - I know I use them!

Here's a link to that album - I hope it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriella18View Post
I understand your feelings....I too do not have a list of 100 friends to send birthday and thank you cards too. But I love making cards. So I make Christmas cards and donate to an organization that collects cards for nursing homes. I love making the cards and I feel good that someone is getting them.
It has stopped me from buying every cool stamp set on the market. Also to stop the spending I have unsubscribed from just about everything and deleted almost all apps from my iPad
I also make myself goals for the month, such as use cork on a card or make twelve Christmas card.
This is a great way to get to make cards when you don't have a personal need for so many. I would like to mention a reminder to anyone doing this for a nursing home or older people. I make note cards and greeting cards for my 93-yo mother and concentrate on using only 1 or 2 layers and no 3-D embellishments. More layers and embellishments make them hard for her to send and she IS NOT going to put more than a single stamp on them! Lol! I'm sure she is not the only one like this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I like having that focus each month."
CreativeCardsea, this is one of the best ideas yet. I am so doing it! I'll be sure to make my kit with stamps and supplies relative to the holiday in that month, or the category I need more of (sympathy, get well) or any other relative genre (coffee mugs and snowflakes for January.) Great idea!

Last edited by Teachybaby; 01-25-2017 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: I want her name prominently displayed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Op

Great ideas from everyone.
I also decided to set some realistic goals for the new year.
I have more paper than I know what to do with it.
I have DP from 10 years ago and still packaged as it arrived.
I stopped buying anything for the last 6 months, not enough space, in a good sized bedroom and large walking closet and still not enough room.

I posted a list that I made to help me along.
Monday-Birthday cards
Tuesday-Get Well cards
Wednesday-Sympathy cards
Thursday-Thank You cards
Friday-Christmas cards
Saturday/Sunday--General cards and other occasions as needed for my stash.

Since I'm retired and have the time when we are at home and not traveling I devide my days as follows:
AM - house work, laundry ect
NOON - lunch,
AFTERNOON- Craftroom projects
EVENING - knitting scarfs and hats for the homeless.

I learned early in life to organize my time and it paid off when I worked, since we worked hourly or two hour increments depending the task.

Good luck to all of us and I would love to hear in a few months about our progress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't do anything formal so much as I won't buy anything unless I've tried to use what I have. This resulted in fewer shopping trips, fewer online purchases, I've bought minimal paper and stamps (until recently, I had a slip up), no mediums (I've emptied a lot of jars and haven't replaced them), and the hardest of all was not going to the stamp convention and the expo.

I will fail the instant I set a challenge so I don't bother. I just keep reminding myself each time that I want to do better and I don't beat myself up if I slip up once in awhile. It's guild free stamping : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftloverView Post
Great ideas from everyone.
I also decided to set some realistic goals for the new year.
I have more paper than I know what to do with it.
I have DP from 10 years ago and still packaged as it arrived.
I stopped buying anything for the last 6 months, not enough space, in a good sized bedroom and large walking closet and still not enough room.

I posted a list that I made to help me along.
Monday-Birthday cards
Tuesday-Get Well cards
Wednesday-Sympathy cards
Thursday-Thank You cards
Friday-Christmas cards
Saturday/Sunday--General cards and other occasions as needed for my stash.

Since I'm retired and have the time when we are at home and not traveling I devide my days as follows:
AM - house work, laundry ect
NOON - lunch,
AFTERNOON- Craftroom projects
EVENING - knitting scarfs and hats for the homeless.

I learned early in life to organize my time and it paid off when I worked, since we worked hourly or two hour increments depending the task.

Good luck to all of us and I would love to hear in a few months about our progress.

Wow. That is ambitious. Good luck to you!

I got together with a friend in January to start on Christmas cards. Since then, I have completed 24 of them! They are all basically the same, but I am thrilled to have that many at the end of January!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 12:06 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well for some reason I got the wrong quote when I replied!!

Last edited by klh54; 01-31-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes