Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am going to simplify. Anyone want to join me?

I have only been at this for 2 & 1/2 years and I can see the amount of supplies can get out of hand without some discipline.

The 80/20 rules is that we use 20% of anything 80% of the time. We use 20% of our living space 80% of the time. We wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time. We use 20% of our stamping supplies 80% of the time.
I want to identify the 20% I use all the time and ditch the 80% that is rarely used, but takes up valuable storage space.

I don't want to go to just CAS cards , but rather simplify my supplies. I am spending too much time keeping everything organized. Plus I don't want to spend a small fortune on storage containers and units.

I use my Copics, dies, Cuttlebug and Tonic paper cutter all of the time so those will stay.

So far I think I can get rid of all the ribbon except white and color the white with Copics or Distress ink to match any color I need.
The Glitter can go I rarely use it. I will keep Dazzling Diamonds for snow.
I can thin out the adhesives to just Scor-Tape. Zip Dry and Tacky. The others don't work well.

I am going to prune the paper punches.

Anyone else in the simplify mood?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

What are you going to do with the 80% that you don't use?

As a beginner I don't have much that I don't use. Anything that I get and realize it's not what I thought it was or that I can't use it for the crafting that I do. I offer it up in the PIF thread.

I hope simplifying works out for you! Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Perhaps you could do something I saw on a video. They put a sticker on everything then took the sticker off when it got used. If it has a sticker on at the end of the time period, it went.

Perhaps this could be done in reverse. Mark things you use and remove the rest.

As for simplifying, I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff over the last 12 months but just seem to refil the spaces. I give up - for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I like the idea of the stickers, but I think I would use a tick method (you know lines of 5) to see how often you use something on the stickers to help. That said, I have found new uses for old things all the time. So I think applying the one year rule might be useful and then try to stretch yourself with the things that you have to see if you can find another use for them. The B/S/T forum is a great way to get rid of things, I have found things there I was looking for that were no longer in the stores. The ways to use it thread is a great way to use things up as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Although I think it would be very liberating, the thought of getting rid of 80% of my stash just scares the pants off me! LOL!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Momtored, save your stuff for a year. Pack it up in a box, put it somewhere safe, then wait a year. If after a year you never miss those things then sell, trade or pay it forward. There were many things I got rid of, then 2 or 3 months later went looking for them.

My way to thin my stuff is to actually use it. I made a bunch of Halloween cards Saturday (I always wait until the last minute) and was so happy because I used up almost all of my mini glue dots (who knew they worked so well on ribbon?) I used up all of my orange buttons; I needed orange ribbon but had none so I used my paper crimper (something I had been thinking about getting rid of) and orange paper to make do. I also used up 2 sheets of DSP, which I hate to do because I love it so much and am terrified that I will never find another pattern I could possibly love as much as the one I just cut up, even though every time I go shopping I find DSP that I can't live without.

Also, if you have a bunch of one thing trade half of it for something you really need. I read you wanted to get rid of some of your glue items, that would be a good thing to trade. Maybe for some cardstock, I have 2 reams of white....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Simplify, I would love to simplify as long as I don't have to get rid of anything. I would rather not purchase anything new for a while, yea like that is going to happen too.
I find I am using supplies that I bought years ago. Now if I only stamped and made cards then yes I could get rid of some stamp sets that are packed in a box in the closet and have been for a few years. First I need to get all my quilting supplies out of the attic and get rid of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in serious need of a good organizing, but I can't see getting rid of 80% of my stuff ... or even 20%! Like Liptontee, my stash supply is very small compared to most crafters. And I've bought a few mistakes along the way. I've given away a few things, sold a couple others and made due with what I bought when possible.

A little story ...
More than 15 years ago, I jumped on the D.O.T.S. and Stampin Up card-making bandwagon. Unfortunately, it didn't take me long to learn that stamping was not my thing. (I had no Internet to turn to for ideas; no talent to color my items with the markers.)

Fast foward 15 years ...
After scrapbooking for a couple years, I get curious about Copic markers. I decide to give them a try and love them. And you know what? I'm so glad that I still have those old stamp sets! The ink pads and Marvy markers were no good, so I had to toss them.

Try this:
Go ahead and purge.
Give away (or sell or whatever) all the adhesive, ink pads, markers and other things that would dry out or go bad over time.
But keep the rest of your purged stuff in a couple of boxes and store them in the garage. Then, in six or eight months go through everything you "tossed" and if you still don't want it or need it, then give it the final heave-ho out the door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not getting rid of any stamps. I don't have a lot of them. I have mostly limited myself to Memento Dew drop size and Distress inks.
My issue is 2 shoe boxes of ribbon I don't use because I never have the color I need and end up coloring white ribbon with a Copic, adhesives that were not as I expected, glitter that I don't use it is too messy, Tombows that I don't use now that I found Copics, etc. I am sorting through this stuff and will either give it to the church next door for Sunday School projects or the Good Will.

I don't want this hobby to take over my house or life.

For the past 6 months I have called a halt to buying anything except Copics and a couple of stamps for specific cards and a couple of dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Barbara, after reading your last post--and realizing that you aren't going to pare down to next to nothing--it sounds quite logical.

There are some things that we buy and then realize they completely wrong for us. There is no use keeping those items.

Churches, preschools and even senior centers would be happy to receive them. A few years ago, I had a ton of fabric, loads of yarn and a few other assorted craft items that I gave to the local senior center for their art room. The center managers were quite happy to accept them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my gosh, I just started that process today! I went through all my wood mounted sets and pulled about 20 to get rid of...some of which had not been mounted!! That is a sign I have too much, right?!

Then I pulled about 10 cuttlebug embossing folders to get rid of...

My next step...tackling the TAC, CTMH, and other various sets...

I think I feel like you do...if it is not being used, why am I holding onto it??!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am simplifying too. My reason is that I let a bunch of elitist bullies tear me down and buy things I didn't need so they could make themselves feel better about themselves. They did this to me during the time I was going through a lot of turmoil in my life and mourning the loss of my daughter. They got me when I was depressed and couldn't fight back. Can you tell I am mad. I hate bullies.

I am all over this simplifying thing, lol. I hate clutter. I gave a lot of things away to my Mom & her elderly friends. I teach them to craft so they always get thrilled when I give them everything. Also a lot of my items went to a girls shelter that helps young women get back on their feet after being raped and abused.

A lot of my fabric items and yarn items went to a residential home. The ladies there have a group that makes quilts for the new residents. They also make bags and fill them with items for homeless children.

I am a very frugal girl by nature. It means a lot to me that I can craft frugally. I have done this for years. Then I find crafting online and it all went awry because I was depressed. I am going back to my core frugality with a few specialty tools thrown in. If I can't get it locally then I don't want it. The only thing I am breaking the rule on this is rubber stamps. I prefer to buy them online since I can't find my styles locally. No more tools that the consumables have to be bought online. I buy a few embellishments online because I can get them cheaper.

Since I am doing this I found my work has gotten a lot better and I don't fret. I don't have those bullies in my head criticizing me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by My3LittleMonkeysView Post
Oh my gosh, I just started that process today!
I think I feel like you do...if it is not being used, why am I holding onto it??!
This is exactly what I should have said!! Storage space is at a premium at my place. My drawer carts are full and I don't have space for another cart.
I will have enough space if I keep only what I really use.
Most of the Ribbon was purchased at the Michael's sales when I started this. It was so pretty but I never considered if I had paper to match it :(

The glitter looked so pretty I didn't consider the mess of applying it or that it gets all over the recipient when they open the card. LOL
I tried numerous different adhesives before I found what works for me . Yet I was keeping stuff I will never use :confused:
I already sent a few Cuttlebug folders to the Good Will.
I get myself so stressed out if things don't have a proper place.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 10-30-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
This is exactly what I should have said!! Storage space is at a premium at my place. My drawer carts are full and I don't have space for another cart.
I will have enough space if I keep only what I really use.
Most of the Ribbon was purchased at the Michael's sales when I started this. It was so pretty but I never considered if I had paper to match it :(

The glitter looked so pretty I didn't consider the mess of applying it or that it gets all over the recipient when they open the card. LOL
I tried numerous different adhesives before I found what works for me . Yet I was keeping stuff I will never use :confused:
I already sent a few Cuttlebug folders to the Good Will.
I get myself so stressed out if things don't have a proper place.
Oh my gosh, we might be long, lost sisters! When my stamp drawers get too full, that is when I know I need to purge! I limit myself to that cabinet and when it is full, that is a CLEAR message it is time to let go!

I have some of that Mikes ribbon, too. I have started using the ribbon to guide an entire card and being on the BRAK committee, I will make 3-6 cards to use it up and send those on for birthday greetings. Love that!

I am starting to celebrate when I run out of something, not stress out about it! It is like a party when I use supplies up! ;)

Love the idea lylacfey had of donating the items, too. I have a few Girl Scout troops around that I know could use some supplies!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:07 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Soon I'll be forced to simplify my whole crafting life. I've been living single for a long time and a lot of my spare time I've put into my card making craft. I recently got engaged and in a few months I'll be making a move out to the fiances farm.

It'll be a whole new lifestyle. I won't have a tenth of the time I have now to craft away. I'm not even sure if I can keep up with the blog either. Not even sure if I'll have reliable internet service. I'm naturally a crafty person so I'll find something to turn my hand to eventually. I have visions of me popping into my crafting table to whip up a card I need, when I need it. Yeah, I'm dreaming now. LOL

My first challenge after I pack up here, is learning how to live without somethings I take for granted. Like an indoor toilet. Power switches in every room. Screened windows and doors. Yes, it'll be a step back in time. Life will not be the same.

So I'll be taking the 20% I use with me, probable box about 40% and purge the other 40%. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the 40%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:31 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Just starting the process (VERY slowly with my craft stuff - I've got about 18 years worth). Just finally got rid of a ton of my kids' too small clothes to friends who have really small kids. I have a bunch of my clothes to go through, as well as holiday decorations (that never seem to get put out - or even found until the holiday is over for the year!)

With my crafting stuff, I've really narrowed down my likes and dislikes and honed my style. I've gotten much more careful about how much and what new stuff I bring into the house. Because I don't have a dedicated craft space yet, my supplies have been all over the place. I'm about done finally getting everything in one place (still several places in my house, but all ribbon in one place, all punches in one place, etc.) so I can finally see everything I have. I make cards and items for friends and family so I'm not getting rid of everything that's not my style because my style certainly doesn't apply to my friends and family, but I've narrowed down what new stuff I want/need to fill in gaps. I now make a detailed running list of anything and only buy items I have a specific need for and will be used for a definite project. Once I really get going, I make major strides, but it's the getting going part that's always the issue ("once an object is at rest, it tends to stay at rest" type of deal). I've got several teachers who are begging for various supplies, so once I get through my items, I don't have to worry about what to do with them to get them out of my house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

I hear ya! I am switching rooms with my son...his bedroom will be downstairs in the computer/my craft room and I will taking over his space upstairs. Just the thought of moving my paper stacks and all my stuff has sent me into a near panic! LOL

I am also going to be purging some stuff, and like you Barbara, ribbon will be a big thing to go, I think. I just dont use it and what I do, I can color my white if I need to. I have too many stamp sets, but many of them I have mounted on wood, then unmounted so no one will probably want those but I am going to try to get rid of some things. Stamps are the hardest for me to get rid of. I also agree abou the glitter....love the look, but hate the mess.

One thing I started to do...and I know many of you will freak out and never consider this!....is I started to break up my "sets" of stamps and put them in clamshells of DVD cases by "type of stamp". Like all Halloween stamps go together, all sympathy stamps go together, all birthday sentiments go together, all line art florals, all solid stamp florals, etc. I actually USE my stamps so much more this way because if I am making a sympathy card, I know where all my sentiments are that I can use on it. If you keep a directory of the stamp sets, when you go to sell them, you can put the sets back together. This has helped me see what stamps I use vs. those I dont use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
Soon I'll be forced to simplify my whole crafting life. I've been living single for a long time and a lot of my spare time I've put into my card making craft. I recently got engaged and in a few months I'll be making a move out to the fiances farm.
I got married a few years ago and the room that was supposed to be my craft room in our new house ended up being used to store all the wedding gifts and eventually was spillover for other storage needs. Fast forward nearly 4 years (and a baby) later, and most of my crafting supplies were still in boxes and I was pulling out just what I needed to make a card now and then, taking it into another room and trying to put it all together, and it was SO frustrating. Finally I told my husband that I needed at least one side of that room to stop being a storage room and start being my craft room! The crazed look in my eyes must have convinced him that I was serious, because he reorganized the room, put my craft table back in, and I was able to start creating again in peace. I still have to share the room with lots of storage boxes, but I faced my craft table to the wall so I don't have to look at all those boxes and I can pretend I'm back to having a "real" craft room. When I was single, I had a wonderful craft room with plenty of space, but I guess the trade-off for a wonderful husband was a semi-acceptable craft room!!

Just wanted to say that I sympathize with you and that I hope you can find a little niche to carve out for yourself at the farm. I gave up my Stampers Ten group when I got married because I knew I'd have less time to stamp, and I wish I hadn't done that because I miss it! It did feel like I lost a little bit of my identity, and if I had to do it over again I would have kept given that part of my life a little more importance. But getting a wonderful husband is more important than having the perfect craft room and tons of time to stamp, in my opinion! Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 10:41 AM   #19  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fairsinger, I can relate to what you are saying. I'm excited about the new challenges, and some of those challenges will be the readjustment of lack of spare time. I am concidering reliquishing my IRL stamping group. It takes me 90min to travel to the city to attend, and I find I base visiting my family there around club dates. I'd just like to come and go when I have the time. I know I'll always be welcome to visit the group at anytime.

I'll be having a big craft garage sale in Feb, and I've already got some purge boxes packed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

I've been working on simplifying my stash for a while now, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to part with that much of it, lol. I'm still hopelessly attached to all my paper pads and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
but many of them I have mounted on wood, then unmounted so no one will probably want those
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of people on this site have unmounted their stamps and I'm sure they would consider buying your unmounted, though possibly at a lesser price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of people on this site have unmounted their stamps and I'm sure they would consider buying your unmounted, though possibly at a lesser price.
I was going to say the same - many people are happy with unmounted. Personally when I buy on eBay, it can considerably reduce the cost of shipping. I used to be thrilled when I could get them unmounted, and if they offered my the blocks and clamshell I'd say no thanks .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I was going to say the same - many people are happy with unmounted. Personally when I buy on eBay, it can considerably reduce the cost of shipping. I used to be thrilled when I could get them unmounted, and if they offered my the blocks and clamshell I'd say no thanks .
When I am considering purchasing a stamp set, I will actually email or pm or convo the seller (depending which site I'm on) and ask if I can have JUST the rubber to save on shipping, since I'm an ummounted girl. Some sellers will, some won't, but you can bet there are other buyers out there like me and Sabrina!

Here's another question: I'm finding that I have one or two single stamps from a set that I am POSITIVE I will never, ever use - do you think there is a market for those orphans? If so, I have LOADS of single stamps that I could happily part with! I organize/store my stamps in categories instead of sets, so that would work for me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I did what KSPIV did and broke up all my sets. That has made things sooo much easier for me.
I came across stamps that I had hardly looked at, even forgot about. It freed up alot of space
when I got rid of all those clamshells. Not for everyone but it works for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierodView Post
I've been working on simplifying my stash for a while now, but I'm not sure that I'm willing to part with that much of it, lol. I'm still hopelessly attached to all my paper pads and stamps.
That's me.

I'm just trying to use it rather than buying new.... though I did break down and buy some craft felt yesterday and some pin fixings to make some broaches...and some colorful wire found its way into my basket with some craft sticks...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I like purging my supplies - then I can spread out a little bit more and actually see what I have so I can use it. It's threads like these that make me want to toss even more.

I haven't regretted getting rid of a single set of stamps. I do regret getting rid of so many of my punches. I still have a shoe box overflowing with them, but there are 2 or 3 in particular that I still reach for and they are gone.

I *thought* I regretted getting rid of the ribbon. It turns out, I only really use 3 or 4 colors over and over again. All the rest can go.

And stickles. WTH was I thinking? I only seem to use red, gold, silver, green, and clear, but I own every color they make. We won't talk about the glitter collection.

Yes, it's time again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

This is a timely post for me, I've been looking at the stacks of ribbon in my room and thinking what was I thinking when I bought that. I think I will donate it to my grandkids school, keeping only the white, black and gold and silver. Also, I have a gross of eyelets and brads. I have been seeing a few cards with eyelets on them again, but really I think I could get rid of all of them and not miss them. Stamps I would not purge but did unmount, what a space saver. The glitters and embossing powders that I thought I needed, not so much. I could easily get by with a glitter for snow and black embossing powder. I really bought so much I didn't need when I first started. Now, I'm trying to be more thoughtful and wait to see if it's something I really want. Thanks for this thought provoking discussion.
Kathy T
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

Saw a layout that would use up ribbon and eyelets...They 'laced' two coordinating pieces of paper together like a corset. Very effective as a background.

I have to admit to having a ribbon thing too. I find it the easiest of borders. I think I am getting boring because I put it on everything and try to avoid using it, which is silly because that is what it is there for. I just don't want everything to end up looking the same. IYKWIM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm OFTEN amazed at how often I need to use something I rarely use! Make any sense? I may not use an item real often, but eventually I do and I'm glad I have it. I have about 120 stamp sets, a basket of ribbon, various brads and buttons. Everything fits neatly in a small amount of space.

So nope, I'm not downsizing a bit! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 853 Likes on 510 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am simplifying too. My reason is that I let a bunch of elitist bullies tear me down and buy things I didn't need so they could make themselves feel better about themselves. They did this to me during the time I was going through a lot of turmoil in my life and mourning the loss of my daughter. They got me when I was depressed and couldn't fight back. Can you tell I am mad. I hate bullies.
That would make me mad also!!! So sorry for your loss!

I had a friend who was basically bullied some by a scrapbooking group organization (won't name the company) when she was just starting. They gave her a hard time when she wanted to use patterned paper or other supplies. They made her feel like she could only use *their brand* of stuff, and everything she did was wrong.

I guess I'm going to hold onto my stuff; although, I probably don't have as much as many people. It does get overwhelming though; constantly having to organize it. The reason I'm holding onto my stuff is that two or three times I have gotten rid of things, and then actually went out and rebought the same things, because I wanted to use them more than I thought I would. My friend tells me she does'nt like to get rid of things too often, because you just go out and buy more stuff to replace it.
That reminds me, I need to organize and straighten up my craft room again! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I went through all my scrapbook stuff a couple of months ago and got rid of a ton of stuff.We moved about two years ago and I packed up all my scrapbook stuff and labeled boxes with what was in it then when we go to our new place I didn't unpack my craft stuff I just too what I needed out of the boxes as I needed it and everything left in the boxes at the end of two years went bye bye. I went from a lagre craft room to a small corner in the front room and never thought I would have enough storage space for all my craft stuff but after the big purge I have enough storage space and I find I craft more and I'm not overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have. I'm thinking about doing a purge every fall because I've already bought a few items for certian projects and put the leftover away and who knows when or if I will use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I can so totally relate to this thread. My divorce was finalized about a year and a half ago. In the chaos of that time, I moved three times - from my home (he filed bankruptcy and they foreclosed) to an "illegal" rental 1/2 the size, then to a townhouse 1/2 that size (the landlord decided to sell 1/2 way into my lease) and finally to a small apartment about the size of my old studio. Each time meant selecting only the most precious of stuff.

My apartment has two closets in the bedroom. My supplies and tools take up the larger of the two closets and under my queen sized bed. I focused on "tools of the trade" - my stamp mounts, my stamps, all the basics. Cardstock and paper is a consumable - and tastes, styles changed as often as fashion. The colors that are popular 5 years ago are not now. So, I stock on basics and neutrals.

Some of the stuff I couldn't bring went to shelters, friends, goodwill and anywhere and anyone who promised it a good home. A sweet friend and former model (I do portrait photography) got married this fall and I used a huge chunk of remaining stash to make favors, placecards, table cards, thank you cards, etc. It was a lot of fun. Very rewarding.

By focusing on the expensive to replace items (like the cricut, book binding tools, etc.) - I get the joy of buying a few sheets of new paper for just a single project. I have one iris cart dedicated to unmounted stamps and when a drawer fills up (organized by category) I know it is time to sort through images and donate or give away stamps I no longer "LOVE" vs. like. The donations are often tax write offs, and the give aways feel really good. I know a lot of college kids, etc. who can't really afford a hobby like this, and they always appreciate my "cast offs" and in return I have more crafting buddies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

All the adhesive that didn't work for me is out. Most of the glitter went to the Good will along with ribbon and a couple of punches that were not what I expected.
I sorted all the ribbon and only kept what I have paper to match. I am not keeping a spool of ribbon that has no matching paper.
I got rid of all of the plastic packaging from the embossing folders and now the box has space to spare.
Some how I had "3" bone folders I donated two of them. I am gradually weeding out the stuff that is not used or needed.

Now I have 3 empty drawers in my cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well done Barbara Jay!

And AnnaBananaJustice, I think you are right that if you don't "love" a stamp it is time for it to find a new home... now can I live that! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
Although I think it would be very liberating, the thought of getting rid of 80% of my stash just scares the pants off me! LOL!
I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin
My Gallery
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21
My Blog
Administrator for The Outlawz Challenges

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I had to organize everything into a smaller space last year when I bought a smaller house and went from a decent size craftroom to none...
Working on my budget and cold turkey thread certainly helped this year and so did helping out the newbies on this site... Simplifying is pretty rewarding

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

I know I'm blessed to have an area to house all my "stuff". I help with some camps in the summer, and that's a great place to use up some of the supplies/paper/stuff that I know I won't use. The girls don't care if it's old - they just enjoy using it! I find that my other things in my space are what cause the clutter - I've got a mountain of mending (horse blankets), fabric, etc. that I really need to get through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow what a thread. I really needed this about now. I had planned to sort/clean/organize/etc every room of my house over the next year. The plan is to take 1 room or area a month until it's complete. I'm planning to do my craft cave probably in March. I have ribbon out the, well you know where it's out of, and really need to get rid of a bit of it. First I need to determine how much of which colors I have (I have several of the same colors but they are not sorted by color so who know how much I have).

I'm hoping to start teaching some classes at a retirement home after the first of the year so that will help use quite a bit of my supplies.

I think we can all use this thread as a support group for our processes. We may also be able to use it as a sharing thread also for those who are in need of obtaining or in need of getting rid of some items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaBananaJusticeView Post
I can so totally relate to this thread. My divorce was finalized about a year and a half ago. In the chaos of that time, I moved three times - from my home (he filed bankruptcy and they foreclosed) to an "illegal" rental 1/2 the size, then to a townhouse 1/2 that size (the landlord decided to sell 1/2 way into my lease) and finally to a small apartment about the size of my old studio. Each time meant selecting only the most precious of stuff.

My apartment has two closets in the bedroom. My supplies and tools take up the larger of the two closets and under my queen sized bed. I focused on "tools of the trade" - my stamp mounts, my stamps, all the basics. Cardstock and paper is a consumable - and tastes, styles changed as often as fashion. The colors that are popular 5 years ago are not now. So, I stock on basics and neutrals.

Some of the stuff I couldn't bring went to shelters, friends, goodwill and anywhere and anyone who promised it a good home. A sweet friend and former model (I do portrait photography) got married this fall and I used a huge chunk of remaining stash to make favors, placecards, table cards, thank you cards, etc. It was a lot of fun. Very rewarding.

By focusing on the expensive to replace items (like the cricut, book binding tools, etc.) - I get the joy of buying a few sheets of new paper for just a single project. I have one iris cart dedicated to unmounted stamps and when a drawer fills up (organized by category) I know it is time to sort through images and donate or give away stamps I no longer "LOVE" vs. like. The donations are often tax write offs, and the give aways feel really good. I know a lot of college kids, etc. who can't really afford a hobby like this, and they always appreciate my "cast offs" and in return I have more crafting buddies.

WOW...I could have written most of this post. After my divorce and the fourth move in two years...I was exhausted and got rid of everything except the organizing tools and what I could fit in a paper bag. I've been in my new and stable home six months...the longest in two years. It has been CRAZEE!

So now I have a nice craft corner by a window, my medium expedit and some storage baskets, containers, magnetic tins etc. I haven't crafted in about two years...just no desire, sad, stressed etc. Well I'm feeling really good now, have a beautiful apartment and great job...most of all peace of mind and good health, I'm ready! I set my little corner up today and will treat myself to about $125 worth of stuff this weekend (this is a splurge for me).

I have decided I will only fill the containers and space I have. When a particular container gets full...no more until there is room. In the past I have had a whole bedroom for a craft room and it was full...I feel ridiculous now when I think about it. WAY to much stuff sigh...

Anyways this got long sorry...Im so happy to be able to craft again I'm crying...ugh! I dont know how this turned sad it really is suppose to be a happy post...lol!

Last edited by Crafty Chelle; 12-29-2011 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Fix typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to focus on using my products and if I get as many cards made as I am hoping to in 2012 I will have lots of cards to give away... it will be so nice to make cards for others to use and to get my products in order.
Reply With Quote Likes