Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to start a scrapbooking and card making store?

I would like to start my own business or an Internet business, can anyone direct me on how to get started? Thanks :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would start by hiring a lawyer familiar with the formation of a legal business in your state and locality, who is also familiar with the applicaple tax and other requirements.

I'd also get a bunch of books out of the library on this topic.

Then, I'd see what your locality has by way of a small business center. My county has an entire office devoted to help folks start their own businesses.

A lot of internet craft stores seem based off of a Yahoo template so seeing what Yahoo has might also be worthwhile.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Business

Oh, thank you so very much. This was very helpful. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I can't really offer suggestions on the "legal" aspects (previous poster gave good advice there), but can I make a suggestion on how you organize your store?

We have a scrapbooking store here in my community, and boy was she smart when she set it up! Instead of having all the paper in one place, stickers in another, embellishments in another, etc., etc., she has themed sections. Everything for Christmas (paper, stickers, embellishments, albums, etc) is in the "Christmas" section; everything for birthdays is in the "birthday" section; everything for school pages is in the "school" section. There's a baby section, halloween, graduation, etc., etc. It is fabulous! Soooo easy to find just what you're looking for, instead of having to look through all the papers, stickers or whatever to find the just theme you're looking for.

Another suggestion if you do a "brick and mortar" store: have a small corner with a VCR and a few toys for the kids to play with while mom shops. I told the store owner she was a "genius" for putting that in! It's even got a little white "fence" around it, with an open section for the kids to go in and out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, you people are wonderful. Thanks for the info. and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I recently opened an online stamping and scrapbooking store. I knew absolutely nothing about running a retail online store, but have learned SO MUCH about pretty much every aspect!

First decide what type of business (sole prop, llc, corp, etc). Definately discuss this with legal council! Apply for a Fed Tax ID, if necessary.

Write a business plan (include what you want to sell and what your goals are); you can get info on this online (this one is helpful: http://www.hcmpublishing.com/Small-B...ness-Plan.html).

The next thing you have to do is think of a name and register with your state. You also need to get a resellers license (state) and set up a sales tax account (if applicable in your state). Then you should open a business checking account. Business credit card is helpful, too.

Now you can plan exactly what you want to sell (writing a business plan can help with this, too) and start requesting information from manufacturers/distributors.

Other things to keep in mind: shipping, product storage/organization, advertising, competition, audience, profit margins, accounting, site design, web hosting, start-up costs.

Your state government probably has lots of good information on most of this. I wouldn't mind chatting, if you'd like...

Cheryl Kay

Last edited by stampbystep; 12-06-2007 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes