Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you organize your scraps?

I have TONS of cardstock scraps and of course, DP scraps. I have recently purchased an expandable folder type tote that is pretty large. It accomodates most of it, but it's huge! I don't know if I should just start throwing some of my scraps away or what. I've made a concerted effort to start using them in an attempt to whittle them down, but I've got a LONG way to go. I've tried a drawer...to messy and everything gets crumpled. I've tried a regular expandable folder...too small. Not sure if I want to invest in hanging files...although I may have some lying around. I've tried putting them in a binder with toploading see thru sleeves, but there are too many and the book is too heavy. What do you do to organize your scraps by color/theme, etc...? I'm curious. Maybe someone will come up with something better! Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

IFortunately, I have a big room with all my stamping stuff in it. I have a filing cabinet containing all my scraps. I have one hanging folder for each color. Before I had a room dedicated to stamping, I used to hold my scraps in 12x12 page protectors. The filing cabinet system works much better!!!!

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Hmmmm...I have a portable file box that's made of plastic. I wonder if my hanging folders will fit in it. I think so because I think I used to use it for tax receipts. How do you keep the scraps from coming out the sides, or is that even an issue? You know what???? Maybe the regular, manilla expandable folders would fit down inside of the hanging file...then I could take out that whole color when I need it. Thanks for the idea. I'm open to hearing how others do it as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I put any solid CS scraps that are about half a sheet or larger back in my paper storage where it belongs.
As far as DP, I put scraps down to about 1/4 sheet back with it's family.

All the rest of the bits and pieces get dropped in a 12x12 scrapbook bin. It's clear and easy to dig through, and I can just shove all the scraps off the table right into it.

If I filed the little ones away I would never find them again. And that bin of scraps inspires me. Sometimes I look for one thing and 8 other better pieces jump out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I use the CM filemates--have 3 of them. I do keep a manila file folder in each spot (13 slots per filemate, I think) so I can pull the folder out if necessary. A few colors get their own file--white, ivory, black, kraft, etc. Then I go by colors and type of cardstock--pink/red Bazzill or orange/yellow/brown Bazzill. Then I have the same divisions for white-cored paper. The patterned stuff is by what line it's from.

Confusing? It's really not and I *DO* use my scraps! ;-)

Oh, and I'm lucky enough to have lots of desk/table space so all 3 are left out on a table right beside my working desk. :-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 2 6-drawer Iris mini-carts that hold all my scraps. I labeled the drawers by color white, black, red, ..., and metallic. Each drawer holds a lot of paper. Every now and then I give myself a challenge to make all my projects using only scraps and then abput 4 times a year I go through and toss out some of the scraps I won't use (too small, don't like, etc.). I've tried other methods and for the past 3 years this has worked great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have tried a gillion ways of storing my scraps. My friend uses the file cabnet system and tapes the sides of her folders so stuff doesn't fall out. I have half of my scraps in 2 gallon baggies by color standing up in a su box. The other half of the box is some plastic paper holders by cropper hopper for the rest of the scraps. I actually like the baggies better than the paper holders because they are easier to get to what I want without taking everything out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterdovefairyView Post
I have tried a gillion ways of storing my scraps. My friend uses the file cabnet system and tapes the sides of her folders so stuff doesn't fall out. I have half of my scraps in 2 gallon baggies by color standing up in a su box. The other half of the box is some plastic paper holders by cropper hopper for the rest of the scraps. I actually like the baggies better than the paper holders because they are easier to get to what I want without taking everything out.
Is gillion a new word that they just put in the dictionary? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1gr8ladyView Post
Is gillion a new word that they just put in the dictionary? :mrgreen:
ya I make up words all the time LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Triple the Scraps has a picture on her blog...
Here

I like the folder thing she was using. I also like the labels she used for the colors. For instance, Black CS, Black PP, Blue DK CS, Blue DK PP, Blue LT CS, et cetera.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Triple the Scraps has a picture on her blog...
Here

I like the folder thing she was using. I also like the labels she used for the colors. For instance, Black CS, Black PP, Blue DK CS, Blue DK PP, Blue LT CS, et cetera.
Oh my goodness, you are too sweet to mention me! Thank you! That is the old storage piece I used. I still use the same labeling system and LOVE it! I use scraps much more than I use new pieces of CS or PP. Anyway, here is my new storage unit. Love this little cutie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:31 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I use an expandable vinyl check folder that I got at Target...it's more shallow than a regular file folder, so I can get at my small scrap pieces easier. I like it because it stands up open by itself, once you fill it. It works great for me, sits right out on my table, easy access. I have lots of scraps...I won't throw them out, I'm so happy when I just need to punch out a shape and I don't have to start a new sheet of cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:02 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I'll take pics of mine tomorrow because I LOVE my solution! I can't explain it, but i'll come back to this
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:09 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

lol... My fancy dancey, high tech method to store scraps is in gallon size ziploc bags, sorted by colors (reds & pinks, oranges & yellows, greens, blues, purples, neutrals/blacks, SUO, and designer paper) ;) It was quick and easy when I first started saving scraps!!!

I am subbing to this thread though b/c this scrap storage method is DEFINITELY a temporary solution, so I'd love to hear what other people do.

Have a safe and happy new year!!!!

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:13 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I have a 12x12 drawer with Cropper Hopper inserts (I think they're called scrap paper organizers...) and they are labelled by color. Light Blue, Medium Blue, Dark Blue etc... The inserts have 3 different pockets - one full, one medium and a small and hold all my scrap paper very nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

I tried a thousand things too. I had a big three ring scrapbook binder and put scraps in page protectors...I liked that, until I picked it up upside down and all the scraps fell out! Then I just put them all in a big ziplock bag - which turned into 3 ziplock bags. I finally just went through them, took a deep breath and threw away the itty bitty pieces I keep saving and now I just have all my scraps in a big 12x12 plastic box that is meant for keeping scrapbook pages in progress in.
This thing: http://www.organize.com/scpaorcacl.html

All like colors/patterns are near each other and it's clear so I can see through it. So far I'm diggin it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up scrap tidy-use your paper to the last 1/4 inch!

I have 6 clear expanding lid boxes 5"x7". color sort by the rainbow method purple/lilacs, red/pink, orange/yellow/ gold/brown, blues, white/off-white/silver/black
I put larger pieces back with their home paper/CS.
Whichever box gets full first, then that is the one you need to empty! Make cards using those colours - mat and layer using the biggest bits. Make backgrounds using strips. and finally use the tiniest pieces to decorate using your punches. I can use paper down to 1/4" this way.
Filing cabinets? No way! Use what you have paid for.
So 'cardstock collector' I don't think so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:14 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I have tried so many methods over the years. I finally FOUND the right method for me. I have a two drawer filing cabinet that I use as a leg to my work surface. I have a hanging file for each color. Inside each hanging file is a manilla folder with new paper of that color inside it. When I have a scrap, I drop it behind the manilla folder, but in the hanging file folder.

It works like a charm. Because the file cabinet is a leg to my work table, the file is right next to me and easily accessible. I find that I use my scraps ALL the TIME!!! what a concept! because they are as easy to grab as a new sheet of paper.

I would however buy a heavier file cabinet, or go to a second hand office supply store. All this paper is heavy, and i don't think you'ld be happy with a $30 file cabinet from Target. Get office quality, so the weight of the paper won't make your drawers open hard, or make your cabinet unstable.

enjoy!
kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
Oh my goodness, you are too sweet to mention me! Thank you! That is the old storage piece I used. I still use the same labeling system and LOVE it! I use scraps much more than I use new pieces of CS or PP. Anyway, here is my new storage unit. Love this little cutie!
I have those same bins! Yours look way nicer. Thanks for the wonderfull Idea. If you hadn't mentioned what kind of glue to use I would have been scared to try it. I use those bins for stickers and embelishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE my scrap system!!
I bought a pack of 10 craft keepers at Michael's with a hobby lobby coupon.
I labeled them by color with my label maker: red, pink, brown, etc.
Then, after I cut a sheet of cardstock (or patterned paper) it goes into the craft keeper with that color. Inside the craft keeper there is also a ziploc baggie for smaller scraps. I use my old CIS navigator to put them all in, but you could use a milk crate or whatever other box system you have for things. This works GREAT, and I really use them. I always go to my scraps first. And it is not hard at all having the colors mixed. For example, the reds have ALL of the reds in there...rose red, real red, ruby red. Not as hard as it sounds to tell them apart, though. Also, I didn't used to put my patterned paper scraps in there, but have started doing that, and it helps a lot, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to jennifer-g

I have all of my cardstock in those hanging file crates (like milk crates). I have 6 crates right now, one for each color family (I use mostly SU cardstock), one for neutrals & special stuff like shimmery white, and one for everything else, which includes past in colors, PTI I had to have, stuff from the LSS, etc.

I have a hanging file for each color, with a manilla folder inside. I keep full sheets inside the hanging folder {but outside the manilla folder} and I keep anything less than a full sheet inside the manilla folder.

This way, if I need a scrap they are all easy to find inside the manilla folders, and if I have to I can pull the whole thing out to dig to the "bottom". I've been using this system for several years now and I really like it. Plus, it's also easy to see how many full sheets I have of each color just by flipping through. I try to restock when I get to a 1/2-package so I never end up running short.

As for the patterned paper scraps, I have struggled with that as well. Seems like a waste of a drawer in one of my precious storage carts, LOL, and folders and expandable files, etc. never worked for me. I'd stress out over where to put a certain piece {color? season? holiday?} and made it way harder than it had to be. Now I have one of those 12x12 carriers from Iris, they are a couple inches deep 2 or 3 I guess, and they shut with two clips so they stay closed. I just put all my patterened paper scraps in there. Yeah, I have to dig when I want something, but sometimes I find the best forgotten treasures that way. When it starts getting full, I start using up scraps again, LOL.

If my folders get too full I use my punches to punch out various shapes - scalloped circles, photo corners, etc. and store them in envelopes according to shape in one of those $2 cardboard photo storage boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas, ladies! Ya know...SU! (or someone) should come up with a hanging file system that accomodates the whole 12 x 12 sheet! For those of you who who put the whole sheet in the hanging file, doesn't it stick up over the top several inches? I'm curious about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuxView Post
I have those same bins! Yours look way nicer. Thanks for the wonderfull Idea. If you hadn't mentioned what kind of glue to use I would have been scared to try it. I use those bins for stickers and embelishments.
You are welcome, and glad you like it! It does work great for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05View Post
lol... My fancy dancey, high tech method to store scraps is in gallon size ziploc bags, sorted by colors (reds & pinks, oranges & yellows, greens, blues, purples, neutrals/blacks, SUO, and designer paper) ;) It was quick and easy when I first started saving scraps!!!

I am subbing to this thread though b/c this scrap storage method is DEFINITELY a temporary solution, so I'd love to hear what other people do.

Have a safe and happy new year!!!!
I pretty much do the same thing.
I have a plastic tub, 14"wide, x8"high x 7" deep.
I have my 1 gallon zip lock bags all standing up with a piece of white cardboard with the color name on top. They are in alphabetical order, so I can find them easy. (Black& Grays, Blues, Browns & Oranges, etc.) One is even full or Print paper. It works for me.
It sits right on my desk next to my stamp pads. I need things to be right at hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Actually, the tub and bag thing probably is pretty handy! YOu can just grab the bag out and dig. I've temporarily (maybe) got mine in the hanging file folders. Since I just organized it last night, I haven't had to pull anything out yet. I'm hoping they won't all slide out the sides when I do, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm fortunate to have a large scrap space/workshop area/family room.
I haven't started this yet, but I'm going to buy a set of wire type draws with 3 or 4 shelves, that will sit under my tools table. Into this I will sort my scraps by size, so it's nice and handy to my cricut/sizzix and punches. I try and take apic when I'm finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Thanks! I'd like to see that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Without reading thru every post to figure out who's screenname is really Cathy Thompson, I have a message for you! I was sent some pix of boxes to store scraps via e-mail, I believe. (Sorry...son got up really early and my mind is not awake yet...and had a few ritas last night! Bad combo) Anyway, I responded, saying thanks for the pix, but just today, I get the e-mail bounced back, saying it was undeliverable. So, why am I going on? I just didn't want you to think I didn't respond to you and that I was a total ingrate, LOL. So, I've copied and pasted my message back to you below. Thank you (again) Cathy!

Thanks so much for taking the time to send me pix! Yes! I have seen those at Mikes and other places, but I just assumed they wouldn’t be ‘tall’ enough to fit a card or a divider. I’ve never seen them for $2…so I’m gonna have to look! Yes, you definitely have wayyy more cards then I do, but I suppose by the time I get done with all my swaps, I’ll have a lot more! I kept the label on the card/pic organizer, just in case I decide to return it….it does seem kind of pricey. Thanks so much for taking the time to take pictures and e-mail me. I really appreciate it! J

~Chanda

Last edited by chandapie; 01-01-2009 at 05:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

IdenticalTriplets, I love your organizer on your blog! Where did you get it, please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

I absolutely love scraps and can never throw anything away. My organization system may not be pretty, but it does keep me using those scraps since they're always at hand and easy to find. See my blog post about my scraps here: http://stampwithdiane.blogspot.com/2...my-scraps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I'm actually liking the hanging folder thing so far, but the little plastic bin I have isn't large enough. I guess I could always get another, then I'd have one for CS only and one for DP only. I do have a MUCH larger plastic 'filing cabinet', but it's really too big. I don't know where I'd put it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #32  
Inking Addict

I store all my scraps in Freezer Baggies. They are marked with Name of CS, (actually have cut a piece of the actual CS & glued it to baggie) and whether or not it belongs to RR, EE, etc. These are then stored with each individual color. When you gather your CS to use, the small pieces are right there waiting for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

You're supposed to organize them???? ;-) I currently have scraps from this past week sitting on a shelf in a big pile. My other scraps get put back in the folder for that color. All my printed paper scraps go into a photo box.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. MacView Post
You're supposed to organize them???? ;-)

I know! Who woulda thunk? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two systems - one for SU and one for everything ese.

For both systems, I keep a black basket each. This is for quick filing". Scraps end up in a big pile until I feel like sorting through them. Usually before I get to sorting I have a "scrap card" making day. Other then the card base, I use only scraps and only out of the basket.

For SU - my system is pretty basic. I store my full size sheets in paper file bins I bought at Walmart. Each colour has it's own file. At the front of each file is a paper protector with scraps for that colour. Tis system works great for me.

For everything else, scraps are in drawers. I have 2 of those 3 up plastic drawer sets. I have the drawers sorted by neutrals, patterned paper, blues, pink & purple, red & orange, and green. The only I don't like about these is the drawers don't come out of the frame very easily. Due to lack of workspace, they are on top of a shelf so I have to pull the whole unit down to sift through a drawer.

I also only keep scraps bigger than 2 x 2 or larger. If I'm making a lot of cards for a swap or something, I tend to only keep pieces even bigger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I was trying to decide just how small a scrap I should keep, too. I tend to keep the longer pieces that may only be 1" wide because I have visions of using them for a band around something, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

I file my SU paper in files with scrapes in the front. The rest of my CS is in hanging files by color, still working on PP, but really like Identical Triplets filing system, going to check that out and see if it would help me. Thanks for asking this question,

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

I really like that, too. But I think I just have too many to fit in it. I'd need several. I think maybe I need to go thru my scraps and truly decide if I will use certain pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

This is the really simple way I keep my scraps. I bought this basket at Hobby Lobby and stuck all kinds of embellies on it :rolleyes: and put all my scraps in ZipLoc bags. I have a bag for each color (cardstock only) and each bag in alphabetical order. When I need a certain color, it is so easy just to reach in the basket and get it. The patterned paper I keep in a drawer.

Picture didn't upload so I have put it in post #41.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda

Last edited by Benzi; 01-02-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Picture didn't post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

My system works GREAT for me! I bought the tax accordian files in two sizes - (NOTE: The folds are attached at the bottom so small pieces WON'T slide under!) - the small check size (4 1/2 X 9) for the small scraps and the 10 X 15 for bigger scraps. (I put the small accordian file in a plastic tote by Sterilite, with flip top, to give the folder more support). I found a cute, striped accordian folder (10 X 12 1/2) with a clip closure (came in a pack of 3 at Target) for my patterned paper pieces.

These files are the FIRST place I send the kids when they want to "do a project"! LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes