Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get it all in?

I try to come here as often as possible, but with housework, kids and trying to get some ME time, I wonder how you girls do it.

With all the GREAT ideas posted, replying to threads and actually getting some stamping done, when do you all sleep/eat? OR DO YOU? LOL

I worry about what great things I'm missing on SCS, but have so many other things to do.

I am a SAHM of two girls. I help out at school, am a Softball mom, Girl Scout mom, we go to chruch class, am a SU Demonstrator, and do some babysitting. I try cramming all of that into a day and can't forget to make meals and housework.

So, how do you get it all in....or do you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default How do I get it all in?

There's a great question. I"m a SAHM with 7 kids, SU demo, military spouse( which means I do it alone alot) and I teach class at our craft store on Base two nights a week in knitting and stamping. Anyway back to the question it's 2am here, the house is finally quite and I'm doing that me time thing cruising SCS.
SCS member #9233/ SU Demo
My Wee Blog: kats' kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I'm a SAHM with three girls that I homeschool, coach volleyball, teach Bible class at church, sew for a consignment shop, scrapbook and stamp. Fortunately, my girls are big helps with the house. My oldest is 14 and does all the laundry, my 13 year old does all the dishes and my 11 year old does the dusting, and general picking up. They each keep their own room clean upstairs and an additional room upstairs is assigned to each child. (my life is sounding easy, eh?)

I find that when I pursue one project, the house falls to the wayside. So, each day I choose what I want to accomplish (in addition to keeping the house presentable), one day I may scrapbook, another stamp, another sew, or I might actually read a book! But I can't do it all each week. Most weeks, I do mostly sewing and housework in addition to the girls' school work. Whew, I'm tired thinking about it.... may need a nap - or some chocolate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:44 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I hear you!! I am also a SAHM, 3 kids under 6, volunteer at school, church classes, SU demo---I don't get to stamp like I want to. I enjoy coming on here and learning and reading about it all and I hope that someday I can actually start duplicating!

Most of my stamping is stuff that I do in prep for a workshop...I figure if I spend some time on here reading what the new "news" is, I can share with my customers and still create relatively easy projects. So, I guess I can say, I don't get it all in. The house is a mess...we eat alot of quick meals and leftovers...laundry is piled high...but I got my fill of SCS today!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #5  
The Digi-Freak

I do laundry asap so it is DONE and my workout I just added bright and early at 6:30 so it is DONE

Then I can stamp and play with my 2yo and 7mo and not feel guilty

I often surf the net while nursing the baby so that counts for doubletime

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

15 minutes at a time!!! That's how I do things! 15 minutes cleaning hte kitchen, then 15 in the living room, 15 minutes in the bathroom, 15 minutes on the computer, 15 minutes of prep for Bible Study (if necessary) or just 15 minutes of Bible Reading time, 15 minutes for getting me showered & dressed, 15 minutes....you get the picture! A lot can be done in 15 minutes! And I do the rotation so I don't get bored or overwhelmed. In each of the room/work things, as soon as the timer goes off, I immediately stop whatever I am doing and move on to the next thing. Sometimes that means I leave the dishcloth in the middle of the kitchen counter as I am wiping it down - I know I'll be back in a little bit to finish! My dh laughs at me sometimes but it's a system that works.

I also leave laundry folding until it's about 4:00 or so as that is when Dr. Phil is on - one of my ME time things! That or, if it's one that interests me, I wait an hour longer & watch Oprah while I fold. I put away clothes during the commercials or get supper started or what have you. 2 minutes is a long time when you are trying to "Beat the commercial"! You get lots done then too! I can get my toilet cleaned in that time or get the ground beef on to brown!

By the way, I am a SAHM with 2 kids, DD is 4.5 and DS is 3.5.

JocelynM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

What a great post. I have a 7 month old. Work 2 part-time jobs and am a SU demo. I don't have time. I have 4 swaps to mail this week and DH is sick and now I am. I am so overwhelmed I have cried all morning. My house is a mess and I just can't take it anymore. Everytime I take me time it just causes more stress because I don't get any of the necessities done. I am so tired and run down that I fell asleep in the parking garage when I got to work.

I do try the 15 minute thing and it seems to work fairly well. I try lists. ANd I stay up until 2 or 3 am.

I don't know how to do it all...

I don't even know how to do half of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I am a horrible house keeper. And that was before I found stamps and this website!

Some of you sound awfully organized. I like that 15 minute idea.

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I don't get it all done, and I don't care. Those of you that can, all of you are my heros! But for me, I have to choose as I go what gets done. And for that reason my basement will never be clean and organized.

I pick one room a day to pick up and clean. When I want to vaccuum I tell my 5 y/o to get everything off of the floor, that doesn't mean that it's put away--I know the room will be a mess again in a few moments even if it does go to it home so I've accepted it and move on.

I'm a fly lady drop out. Her routines did not work for me and frankly I didn't need all of those extra emails cluttering up my inbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm soooo happy to see that I am not the only one who gets overhelmed with all of the things I do in a day and still try to have FUN things.

I just don't know what I would do with having too much FREE time on my hands....LOL, yeah right, that could change really quickly. But, if I could just get more than 1/2hr to myself to do some GREAT stamping/scrapbooking and NOT have to do them late at night.

I give all the moms (SAHM and working moms too!) a huge pat on the back for all the hard work we all put into everything.

Thanks for all you postings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I read somewhere once that the reason we women like to do these crafty things like decorate our homes, sew, quilt, stamp, scrapbook, and such is that everything else we do gets undone.

Everything.....cooking, cleaning, laundry, everything.

If I make a beautiful card and send it to someone, or finish a few scrapbook pages, then they stay done, and I have something to show for my time. I hate looking at the messy house after the kids are all in bed after having cleaned during the day. But at least I have a card or two to admire...and they can't take that away from me.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Let's see...my newest time saving technique:

www.dreamdinners.com

LOVE IT!!! I highly recommend them, they are all over the US, check it out...it is wonderful! You make 12 dinners in two hours and freeze them...now the family gets fed and I have lot's more time to do all the 100 other things that need to get done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

What a great feeling to know that we are NOT alone! I'm a SAHM with 3 girls 10,7, and 3. Girl Scout Mom of 2 different troops (cookies are thankfully over for this year!) Soccer Mom of the 2 oldest girls (2 different teams of course) And, work a PT job at the church,and of course also a Demo(which is my favorite since it is my "ME" time! i love to run down to my stamp room and just let the time go..

The chores are divided up on days of the week (monday is kitchen floors, Tues is the bathrooms ETC. , but i also do the 'commerical time' clean up! It is amazing what i can get done in 2 minutes!

I get the computer when it is Nap time!

Ali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Do you really mean that there are other things to do each day other than browse SCS and stamp? I just refuse to do them!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 11:52 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I am a SAHM of 6 children, 11yr old DD, 9yr old DD, 4yr old DS and 2yr old triplets(2girls and a boy), I HS my 9 yr old and I am a SU demo, I also belong to a quilting guild(we met once a week). I try to get every thing acomplished that there is to do in a day,but it can't always be done.
I have learned that I am only one person, and a happy mommy means a happy family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #16  
Cupcake Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by JocelynM
15 minutes at a time!!! That's how I do things! 15 minutes cleaning hte kitchen, then 15 in the living room, 15 minutes in the bathroom, 15 minutes on the computer, 15 minutes of prep for Bible Study (if necessary) or just 15 minutes of Bible Reading time, 15 minutes for getting me showered & dressed, 15 minutes....you get the picture! A lot can be done in 15 minutes!
Jocelyn, I like your 15 minute idea breakdown. I think I just might have to apply that for a week and see how it goes. I have two kids -- one is 2 and the other is 8 months, so my life is so hectic. Me time is a luxury I force myself to partake in!!!

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Can I just say, stamperof6 that you rock! Bless you. I love your gallery too!!

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Group Leader

15 min at a time is the best! I got it from www.flylady.net several of us have been following a thread trying to identify and encourage other stampin flybabies. Come read our thread and see if you think it is for you!
Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:17 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Sleep!!!! Are we actually supposed to do that??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

For organization of the house and other things, check out this website...
www.flylady.net
It's suppose to help with organization of housework, etc.
HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I love the 15 minute rotation comment. I do that too on good days. If I'm having a really rushed day or a very ADD day, I do 6 minute rotations. It's surprising how much you can get done in 6 minutes in a room, I set the timer. When it goes off I go to the next room and work 6 minutes. My sister puts a CD on and makes herself clean house until the CD is over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

All of you SAHM's, don't ever let anyone tell you that you "don't work." I work full time in a law office and take care of me and my DH when he's not on the road. Would not trade places with you poor overworked things on a bet. I get tired just reading about your days.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I work part time for the school district (5 hrs), shuffle 3 kids (16, 14, & 7) to and from school and various activities. Good thing the oldes can drive now, he helps with the shuffling. DH is a deacon at our church so we have those related activies and duties. I play the violin and am part of the music portion of service (3 services on Sundays plus practice at church and at home). I used to be a full time SAHM, now I'm a part time SAHM and a part time worker. Busy is the thing.
I found for me it's best to have the kids help with chores. Although I'm the main cook, it's relaxing most of the time. Slowly the kids are learning to cook, the goal is to have them fix a meal once a month.
I also have my stamp desk easily available and sometimes I take 15 minutes to just make a card or work on a swap. I'm going back to the fly lady and back into that groove. But when it comes to crafting I also set times, short times, but times to work. If I don't I feel completely undone and off center.
Now that spring is here the pull to work in the yard is strong, and that will need to be added to the schedule. We want to put in a vegetable garden this year.
The biggest thing I've learned is that I can not do everything in one day and I no longer try to. I simply do the best I can and follow that same thought for the next day. I can't do it all, I can only do my best. And to me, time with the family is more important than anything else.

Happy Stamping

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes