Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ Bleaching

I was wondering how to use the "bleaching technique" is there a mixture you should use? Does it harm the stamp? Is there anything particular that you should clean the stamp with after using bleach? Any other advice?
TIA :lol:

Sue
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 07:37 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I thought I would post a response since you haven't seem to have gotten any to date. I love the bleaching technique... I use plain bleach no dilution for my projects. You can use an empty stamp pad (office supply store) or simply a sponge in a bowl. I think you would incure some damage to your stamps if they sit in the bleach for an extended period of time but I have not seen any obvious signs as of yet... just make sure to clean them well when you are finished. Good Luck and hope this helped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 04:30 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't do the bleaching very often but like the results when I do remember to use it. There are two ways I do it. First way is to dampen a papertowel with bleach and put in flat dish, then put your stamp on the papertowel. That way you don't get an excess of bleach on your stamp. The other way is to stamp with Versamark or a pigment ink and emboss,, then take a nylon brush (I use an old fingernail polish brush) and "paint" what you want bleached. This works very well with larger flowers. Be sure to wash your stamps immediately so the bleach doesn't harm them. Each piece of cardstock will give you different results. Have fun.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 05:27 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Re: Help w/ Bleaching

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinalot
I was wondering how to use the "bleaching technique" is there a mixture you should use?
Sue
I just use straight bleach in a plastic coffee can lid. I keep a rag handy to wipe the stamp immediately and then clean it with stampin' mist.

One thing I love to do.....but it does ruin your sponges.......is use a wedge of a sponge dipped lightly into the bleach and then blotted on cardstock all over.

I think one of the best cardstock colors to use is Brilliant Blue. On a piece of BB cardstock, blot the page with the sponge, redipping it in the bleach several times. Then get a new sponge wedge and dip it into the Metallic Gold ink pad and blot that all over your paper. It makes a BEEEYOOOTEEEFUL background paper.

Have fun!

P.S. Ooops, I forgot to add that I put a piece of paper towel in the coffee lid, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:29 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks so much for the help. I have been dyeing (LOL) to try it, but I was worried about my stamps.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 07:49 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

here's how I make my bleach stamp pad.. I take one of those new rubbermaid square containers.. the kind you can get in a 4 pack and are the ones that are meant to be lost (lol) they are nice because you also have a lid! I store mine in a ziplock bag besides betwwen uses so it doesn't accidentally leak.

I take a felt square and cut it up to layer on the bottom.. when you use felt.. make sure its not a natural fiber like wool.. when you put the bleach into it the bleach will react with the fiber and neutralize itself.. it doesn't react like that with the synthetic felt.. also felt is so cheap.. when it gets gucky you can just get a new felt square.

I use the clorox advantage bleach.. its a little thicker in consistency.. and add it so you have a not too wet not to dry pad and then stamp away!

Bleach has a short life as well once exposed to light so refresh your pad every so often.

to "paint" with bleach I use an old blender pen and just dip it into my stamp bleach pad.. it works great!

Also.. if you are gonna bleach something and then stamp or paint over it.. wait and make sure your bleach is dry.. if its not your ink you stamp or paint over it will bleach out too!

Have fun!

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Default `

I was just making a chart of what our paper looks like when bleached (I know ~ geek!) and I used a Clorox Bleach Pen to do it. It didn't splatter and was easy to controll. Having spilled bleach on far too many outfits to count, I liked the control of the pen. I used the brush end to gently put it on my stamp. After I was done I washed the stamp off really well and then conditioned it with the stampin mist. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes