Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Help!! Is this a bad or good idea (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/help-bad-good-idea-t7785.html)

SusieMcCormick 08-31-2004 03:02 AM

Help!! Is this a bad or good idea

A neighboor's son passed away yesterday of a drug overdose. He was 26 and the parents or anyone around him had no idea he was using. They don't know if he was causal user or into it more. Anyway, I was trying to think of something to do, and thought maybe a journal that visitors who stopped by could write a thought or memorie about him in.. Is this a ok idea or dumb

iwasborn2stamp 08-31-2004 03:11 AM

I don't see what's dumb about it.
The loss of a child is still a devistating loss and needs to be acknowledged. These parents and their family will need all the help they can to get through this awful tragedy.

I pray for their comfort and strength.

You are a very kind friend to think of doing this. I say: Go for it!

Bless you,
NY Nan

clransom 08-31-2004 03:21 AM

I think it's a good idea.

I'm sorry for your neighbors' loss. I pray that God's loving arms are wrapped around them tightly.

sacramentostamper 08-31-2004 03:27 AM

That is so sad...

My family and I went through the same type of thing 2 years ago with a cousin of mine who took his life. Boy, that's a tough one.

If you're close to the family and knew their son well I would say go for it. From personal experience, when someone commits suicide emotions run all across the board, especially when it involves the death of a child it's very painful and needless to say very personal. Maybe, after everything settles down you could put together a little memory/scrapbook album as a gift to the family with written memories and pictures from family and friends.

You could always coordinate with other neighbors to put together meals, snacks etc.

Whatever you decide to do it will be appreciated.

camsmom 08-31-2004 04:23 AM

While a completely different scenario, my Dad died of cancer. He was a firefighter. I was really touched when I would meet someone who knew him and they would tell me a story about him, either on or off the job.

I think having a journal for people to tell their good memories of their son is a very nice idea. I am sure they are in utter shock now, buut in the long run would really appreciate having a tangible object where they can look back on the positive/happy way their son was seen by others.

I am so sorry for them, they must be devastated. I will be thinking of them today.

SusieMcCormick 08-31-2004 05:33 AM

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think I will go ahead and do it. The poor mother of this boy just had surgery last week for a tumor in her spine, which was not cancer, they did not know that going into surgery, she also went through a hurricane the week before, and had a close cousin's attempt suicide that same week. This is a wonderful, loving, religous couple. Please pray for them.. I think I will do the journal and do my entry and let the husband decide what to do with it. I know that when my husbands mother passed away, he recieved a letter from his mothers best friend, telling him about how his mother loved him, and memories, it was priceless!

daphne532 08-31-2004 08:57 AM

I think that this is a wonderful idea, and maybe the thoughts and concerns written down will bring them some comfort. What a tragedy. I'll be praying for them. Can you give us some first names to lift up to the Lord?