Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default forming straight lines with clear stamps

Can anyone give me some advice on how to stamp a straight line with a linear clear stamp? That's to say, how to use a bendy acrylic stamp or photopolymer stamp so I get a straight line as a stamped image. For example, I want to use PTI Sew Simple Borders to make straight lines, but the stamped images always have an unintentional curve in them. So frustrating! I have clear acrylic blocks, I have a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, and I have a Tim Holtz Tonic stamping platform. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by **Carol**View Post
Can anyone give me some advice on how to stamp a straight line with a linear clear stamp? That's to say, how to use a bendy acrylic stamp or photopolymer stamp so I get a straight line as a stamped image. For example, I want to use PTI Sew Simple Borders to make straight lines, but the stamped images always have an unintentional curve in them. So frustrating! I have clear acrylic blocks, I have a Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, and I have a Tim Holtz Tonic stamping platform. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi there Carol!!

I have the tim holtz stamping platform also I love it!

there are lines on the inside of the cover were you put your stamps just line them up It is very easy to get straight lines with clear stamps!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it's easier to take your stamp, put it face down, just like if you were stamping it, on a sheet of grid paper (or lined notebook paper would work) to make it straight. You might want to use a couple of toothpicks to adjust it because they will stick to you.

The smooth side of the stamp should be up, so now place your block on your stamp instead of trying to put the stamp on the block.

You might want to use a stamp with gridlines, too. I find using the paper keeps the stamp straighter, but you also run the risk of having your block be crooked, so using the grid lines also help me when I put the block on the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Put your card or whatever you're stamping in your TH platform. Place the image you want to stamp on your card, then take a ruler and butt the stamp against it. When you pick up the stamp with the lid, it should be perfectly straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I find it's easier to take your stamp, put it face down, just like if you were stamping it, on a sheet of grid paper (or lined notebook paper would work) to make it straight. You might want to use a couple of toothpicks to adjust it because they will stick to you.

The smooth side of the stamp should be up, so now place your block on your stamp instead of trying to put the stamp on the block. ... ...
I either use my grid paper as mentioned above, or, place the linear stamp directly alongside the long edge of a thick ruler to line it up. Then apply the stamp block or close the positioner 'lid' atop the stamp to pick it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

On my blocks that did not have grid lines, I used used my X-acto knife and a ruler to etch them in, and then I also tried using my grid paper (from St-Up), laid the block over the grids and etched them in. Both ways worked really well! The grid paper lines were narrower, which is great for small font word/phrase stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

What everyone else said! I usually find that instead of trying to "make" the stamp straight (because I always either pull it or knock it off) I just drop it down and press the block on to it - it will usually land in whatever position it was manufactured, unless it's very long. I like Bev's ruler tip!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have trouble with this, too. I have found it helps to stretch the stamp a bit, as I'm getting it onto my block. I hold one end down in the gridline (or my marked line) on my stamp, stretch the stamp a tiny bit, as I start to lay the other end down,and then gently release the tension as I let the stamp grip the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Lining up stamps

I saw a video by Jennifer McGuire, she uses a T- square ruler. She lays it onto the card and then aligns the stamp so it is straight.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure if you feel like you have your answer, but in case you're still looking, at about the 3 min mark in this card tutorial, you can see how K Warner gets it to work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Shelly mentioned Jennifer McGuire using a t-square. It's demo-ed in several videos, and here's one from last month.She's lining up and butting together two narrow sentiment stamps but it's the same for any linear stamp. Fast forward to 9:20 (though the whole video is neat).

Sentiment Stamping Techniques - Jennifer McGuire Ink

I use a t-square to check straightness a lot. A local art supply store sells them for about $2.00. This is the type:

Amazon.com: Westcott 12"/30cm Junior T-Square: Office Products

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you to each person who put forth an idea or a video. Now I have a great arsenal of weapons against evil bendy stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the tips you’ve been given are some of what I use as well. One final “tip”. If after your chosen method to assure your stamp is straight you are still unsure; I suggest using a blank sheet of graph paper to stamp down on first, before stamping on your good paper. You can find packs of graph paper at Walmart fairly cheap.
Doing a test stamp onto the graph paper should enable you to double check your stamp is positioned properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Testing - great idea - and you reminded me - I use a transparency grid sheet the same way to line up alphas - but it works for any stamp, including narrow lines. You just lay it on top of your card. I generally use it in a stamping platform since it can be butted into the corner like the card is, but you don't have to do it that way.

You can make your own by printing graph paper onto a transparency sheet, but since I didn't need a pack of transparencies, I bought one from Simon Says Stamp. Btw, you want to stamp on the non-printed stamp or the grid lines can rub off during cleaning. You can feel the difference, and I just wrote B (for back or bottom) on the side that touches the card.

Link: Simon Says Stamp GRID TRANSPARENCY gridtran at Simon Says STAMP!

Last edited by bjeans; 02-26-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes