Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Folding? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/folding-t10815.html)

bmeft 09-29-2004 12:46 PM

Folding?

Does anyone know how to neatly fold cardstock to make a card. My scorer broke! Is there another way? Thanks, Beth

rmower 09-29-2004 12:50 PM

use a ruler and the tip of a pen that is out of ink or a letter opener or any other pointy object that can follow along the ruler edge.

Robin

ReindeerTrout 09-29-2004 12:52 PM

Do you have a bone folder? You can use the tip of that run along a ruler. I prefer manually folding and then making a sharp crease with the bone folder. I'm cruddy at scoring... never get it right.

Scrapysu 09-29-2004 12:54 PM

I used an embossing tool (the very small end) and a ruler before when I was in a pinch. Not quite the same effect but it worked well enough. :)

kbono 09-29-2004 01:00 PM

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but how do you fold a card with a scorer. The few times I've tried it, I was not able to get the scored line exactly in the middle. I ended up having to go back and recut the edges of the card so they matched. More annoying to me than a less than perfect fold.

Note - I do use the scorer to make non-card items (baskets, boxes etc) and love it for that. Just can't figure out the card thing.

Thanks

justheather 09-29-2004 01:00 PM

My MIL uses the back of a spoon...

crystal.nixon 09-29-2004 01:03 PM

If folding by hand start your crease in the middle of the cardstock instead of on an end and you can get it straight. If I start at one end mine always ends up crooked.

stampingdenise 09-29-2004 01:37 PM

Two thoughts:

1) the handy little scraper tool that comes with some Pampered Chef products makes a great bone folder type tool if you don't have one.

2) before I had a scoring blade, I'd improvise by using a bone folder or styles in place of the scoring blade on the paper trimmer. Line up the cardstock where you'd want to score it and run the bone folder or stylus over the cardstock the same as you would if you were using the scoring blade.

I have trouble getting my fold to line up properly, too. If my sides are uneven, I tend to put the shorter side to the back!

I think sometimes it's easier to just use a bone folder instead of the scoring blade, except some cardstocks are just too thick -- you really need that scoring blade!!

Kymbers_Stampin 09-29-2004 01:52 PM

I admit, I would be lost without my scoring blade. Someone asked how it's used. The scoring blade is used with the cutters. You can make sure you are in the middle because you measure. I do like using the bone folder to make the crease sharp after I use the scoring tool to get the desired lines.

sparklinbecks 09-29-2004 01:54 PM

Sometimes i use whatever is closest...like a stamp :shock:

squeek 09-29-2004 04:04 PM

I concur with the "whatever is closest"...
that said, the most common items i use are:
a spoon
sissors handle
score blade on cutter
rounded edge of plastic ruler
sharpie

Squeek

JanTInk 09-29-2004 07:21 PM

Sometimes the cardstock is not exactly 8.5 inches wide or 11 inches tall...it might me a little off, so when you score at 4.25", it looks as if you scored in the wrong place. Measure the width of the cardstock first before determining the right place to score.

JoCanuck 09-29-2004 09:35 PM

If I can't find my scoring blade when it's lost in my mile high pile of papers etc..I just use a stylus. (dry embossing tool) I still line up my paper in my trimmer but run the stylus down the groove instead.

Miles of Smiles
Jo:)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Heart 09-30-2004 02:57 AM

I use the back of my thumbnail! I always have that on hand! :lol: :lol: :lol: