Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-08-2004, 10:26 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever had this happen to you?

You get home from vacation and your house has been broken into. We found out that someone had been apparently watching our house, because 15 minutes after we left with our travel trailer someone was in our house. Kicked in the front door. In broad daylight. (What are deadbolt locks good for?)

The stuff they took can be replaced, but it's knowing someone was in your house, and knows what else is here, and if they plan on coming back. As you can tell they did not take the computer. Who knows why they took the stuff they did. But it does add up in cost.

They did not touch my stamps thanks goodness!!!

Anyways, life goes on. We are dealing with it the best we can.

Just needed to talk to someone.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so sorry. This happened to our family when I was a teenager. It was a terrible feeling of violation. They really took stupid stuff too. Emptied all the drawers and dumped them on the floor. They found a spare set of car keys and came back the next day and stole my sister's car! We now call my 90 year old grandma Jessica (after the woman on Murder She Wrote) cuz she found the car 3 days later (she had been scouring the neighborhood). We cleaned the mess and replaced the items, but the bad feelings lasted a long time.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:34 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

What a terrible feeling. We went on vacation one year and you could tell where somone tried to break in in several places but couldn't. Now I hestitate to leave for a couple days!!

Debi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

That's terrible!!

My DH's old boss had somebody break into their house WHILE THEY WERE SLEEPING!!!! The person went right to the jewlery and left.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

It sad that someone needs to stoop to that level, but I'm glad everyone is okay and the important things are safe.

This happened to me about 7 years ago. I had gone through a nasty divorce and shortly after my fiance/husband moved in someone broke into our home and stole several things. The odd thing about this was they only took my husband's things (bow, guns, camo, shoes, cds, tv, etc.) They never entered my son's room, nor did they take the money which was left sitting on the kitchen cabinet. It could never be proven who did it...geez that's a hard one!

I hope it never happens again. Have you thought about a security system? I know they aren't cheap, but they do give peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

It happend to us when I was young ~ TWICE. Once during the Watts riots, we lived close and people were just breaking into the trailor park homes they thought were vacant. I don't remember that one.

The next time was when I was around 10 and I remember them taking the coins out of my piggy bank. I'm sure the reason they didn't take your computer is because you can't sell them easily and get any money for them. Theives like to take things that are easy to get rid of and non-traceable.

Most recently one of my brother's druggy friends walked into my dad's house and stole my SIL's purse and car keys. A week later the car was stolen.

What I'm saying is I feel your pain!! Good luck getting everything replaced.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I hate to say this but the statistics show that if you've been burgularized once, you are more apt to get burgularized again just after your insurance pays and you replace the items. You may think about taking some precautions. I'm so sorry this happened, I can imagine that's it's not an easy thing to deal with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Default im so sorry!!

That is terrible! I am so sorry. Why do bad things have to happen to good people! Take care!!! :shock:

P.S. Glad they didn't take your computer or your stamps!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm so sorry for you! Yes, we too have experienced that same violation - which is an excellent description. I will never forget that wrench-in-the-stomach feeling. That experience really brings along a new perspective. Take care!!

~TexasGrammy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

This is terrible. I know it is a violation of your family peace and I hope that your family will recover from this quickly.

On a lighter note, What, they didn't take your stamps!?? They left the most valuable things, :lol: !

My prayers are with your family!
Debbie Seyer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Theft

How awful for you! I imagine many of us could relate to this violation that leaves you very insecure for your personal safety. Thank goodness you weren't at home. Please think about a security system for your home and especially deadbolt locks that need keys to open the door which would do more to frustrate a burgular trying to get in. Might just move on! You are in our thoughts and prayers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 05:20 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, this HAS happened to me - THREE times in one year as a matter of fact! It's the worst feeling in the world, isn't it? It will take months before you will feel comfortable in your own home again and the feeling never completely goes away.

Our first one happened when we lived in a bad area of California. It actually was a homeless guy we had tried to help out by giving him some yard work to do. It worked out great for him because he knew what was in our house, what our cars looked like and what our schedule was. He broke into our house, took whatever he could carry (and our neighbors saw him leaving with it, but they were illegal immigrants and wouldn't call the police!). Then the next day, he came back again, broke through the steel security door with cement parking block and took everything else that was left. They caught him, but we never got anything back.

It upset us so much that we moved to Utah just a couple of months later. We thought everything was going to be wonderful because Utah (especially Salt Lake) has a very low crime rate and we were in a very nice neighborhood. We were already having a bad time because we couldn't get jobs after we moved (it was during the last recession), so we were really floored when we got broken into again. They literally pulled their car into our garage, put the door down and loaded up their car with everything of value we owned, including my baby's diapers and a six pack of beer out of the fridge - sheesh. The really scary thing is that I was home taking a shower just a few minutes before they came (I had a job interview) and they must have been watching the house because my husband came home just 30 minutes later. It was the lowest point in our life, but we got through it and so will you.

It did turn out to be a blessing in disguise, because the insurance money kept us afloat until we managed to get jobs and get our first paychecks, but it was sure an awful way to do it.

Best wishes!

Adrian
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default (((hugs)))

I am so sorry that happened to you!

Home alarm systems that are monitored aren't too expensive. When I got mine, I didn't pay for the system or installation. I just signed up for monitoring for $25 a month for 24 months. It was worth it for the piece of mind. I set it off myself one time by accident and the company called right away for the 'safe' word. If I hadn't answered or known the word, they would have alerted the police. You can also call and let them know when you will be out of town - they don't call your house at all then - just alert police immediately.

Something to consider anyway - especially if the stats are true about being burgled again after replacing stolen merchandise.

(hugs)
Kirstin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2004, 07:34 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I know the feeling, we didn't go out of town. We went to the store or something when we got back our alarm was going off. They broke out my son's bedroom window. My son at the time was only 2 and after that I would never let him sleep in his room again. I was scared. The only thing they took was a drill and some CD's.

Felicia
Reply With Quote Likes