Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Cardstock Ring Help (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/cardstock-ring-help-t327690.html)

daisyboo 02-25-2008 04:07 PM

Cardstock Ring Help
 
Right now my cardstock is in file folders. Love the organization but I am getting tired of pulling out tons of paper trying to find the right colors and then having to re-file them again. So I want to make a *ring* that I can leave hanging on my pegboard in front of my stamping desk. You know, like designers have with paint colors.

For those who have done this, what dimensions did you use? I want them large enough to easily tell the color, but I don't want to waste paper. KWIM? Should I try to laminate them or would that distort the color?

I am planning to use o-rings to hook them together and label each swatch with the color and family. Would I need to reinforce the hole punch? Should I make separate swatch rings for each color family or one large ring?

jkluttrell 02-25-2008 04:09 PM

I wanna know too, good thread topic.

sylviad 02-25-2008 04:22 PM

I just made one of these last week. I used my key tag punch and then punched a small hole on one end. I made small return address labels with the color name and family and stuck it on each piece of card stock and then strung them on some gold elastic cord that I got on some gift or another. (I never throw things like that away!) It was about a foot long so I have plenty of flexibility when it comes to pulling colors together. It is so KOOOOOOL!!! I can turn the punched card stock with the labels down and shuffle colors together to my heart's content. My DD did the same thing but she used her scallop punch. (Actually, she is the one that gave me the idea.) I raised such a clever girl!

ebeart 02-25-2008 04:23 PM

Mine are 2" x 3" but I just ordered them off ebay :)

crazy4stamps 02-25-2008 04:25 PM

Cardstock Ring Help
 
2 Attachment(s)
I was in a swap a few months ago for this. (See first figure attached) Kristin did a wonderful job at making these. We cut the cardstock at 3"x4" and sent them to Kirstin....she laminated each color swatch and then put a label on the back of each color for all items available for purchase associated with that color (see figure attached). She even added in all the specialty cardstocks, vellum and mulberry papers too.

sylviad 02-25-2008 04:30 PM

WOW! 3x4 AND laminated AND all that info!!! What a gal! I just wanted to be able to pick out a coordinating or contrasting color!

Nancy1970 02-25-2008 04:32 PM

The one I use is 1/8th of a piece of cardstock. I cut it in half the long way, then in half again... and then that half in half.

The ones I made for my Stampers 10 group I cut in half yet again.

I like the larger size for me.

Shopping Diva 02-25-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4stamps (Post 8917281)
I was in a swap a few months ago for this. (See first figure attached) Kristin did a wonderful job at making these. We cut the cardstock at 3"x4" and sent them to Kirstin....she laminated each color swatch and then put a label on the back of each color for all items available for purchase associated with that color (see figure attached). She even added in all the specialty cardstocks, vellum and mulberry papers too.

I want one now! I'm jealous :-)

bnlnkids 02-25-2008 04:35 PM

I also got mine off of *bay. It was SOOO worth avoiding the headache of having to measure/cut/punch some 70+ (if you're wanting to include the neutrals and In Colors) of card stocks... and labeling them... AND punching holes in them! I think I paid 6-7 dollars, plus a couple more for shipping. So, so, so very worth it. ;) Each swatch has the color name, family name, and item numbers for all the products offered in that color - both inks, both refills, markers, card stock packs, etc. When I got the swatches, the holes of course were already punched, but I reinforced them with the clear hole reinforcements made by Avery, found in the office supply section.

Did I mention how worth it was to me to just buy one? :mrgreen: I use it *every single time* I make a card/layout. To me, it has MORE than paid for itself. HTH :)

nmslmomto3 02-25-2008 04:35 PM

I have a set that is 2.5 x 3.5. That is the size that I found worked best for me. I have seen them also done 2 x 2.5. I prefer them to be a bit larger, so I can lay them behind my other colors and see if they look good. I did not find this to be a waste of paper at all, I use my card stock ring every single day. Something I did do is that if I had more then one shade of a color (due to variations), I took a swatch from the one I had the most paper in. If I am making something and I don't care if it is just that *same* color, then I use some of the other paper, but if I want an exact match then I pull out that one. I wrote on each paper what the name of the paper is. I also stamped on the paper with my classic and craft ink (for the ones I have), and wrote on it with my marker, I wrote in the marker itself, "fine point" and "broad tip", so I can see how the marker looks on the paper too. If it is a really strong color I also stamped it off one time then stamped it on the paper as well. I did this on one side, the other I left blank for comparing colors to. Hope this helps and makes sense? I just put them onto a large "O" ring. It works great and like I said, I use it daily, many times in a day!

Shopping Diva 02-25-2008 05:01 PM

Where do you purchase the "ring"?

Thanks.

EPollock 02-25-2008 06:03 PM

I have 3x3 squares for my cardstock sample rings. I bought the rings at wal-mart for .97 for 5 rings.

Shopping Diva 02-25-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPollock (Post 8918901)
I have 3x3 squares for my cardstock sample rings. I bought the rings at wal-mart for .97 for 5 rings.

Which section/department? Thank you!

EPollock 02-25-2008 06:07 PM

Not a problem, they are in the office supplies.

sln1294 02-25-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkids (Post 8917427)
I also got mine off of *bay. It was SOOO worth avoiding the headache of having to measure/cut/punch some 70+ (if you're wanting to include the neutrals and In Colors) of card stocks... and labeling them... AND punching holes in them! I think I paid 6-7 dollars, plus a couple more for shipping. So, so, so very worth it. ;) Each swatch has the color name, family name, and item numbers for all the products offered in that color - both inks, both refills, markers, card stock packs, etc. When I got the swatches, the holes of course were already punched, but I reinforced them with the clear hole reinforcements made by Avery, found in the office supply section.

Did I mention how worth it was to me to just buy one? :mrgreen: I use it *every single time* I make a card/layout. To me, it has MORE than paid for itself. HTH :)


I love the idea of ordering one. I don't have the time or all of the colors to make one, but I think it would be very handy!

Cindy55 02-25-2008 06:17 PM

I punched mine out with a 1 1/2" square punch and put an eyelet in each one to reinforce the whole and so I could put them on a ring. I wrote the name and color family on each one. I have each color family on a separate ring.

Carol Lee 02-25-2008 06:23 PM

I can't be that organized. I have tried in the past but failed miserably. I will continue to use the "eyeball, pick the closest, and pray they look o.k." method.

stampgirljo 02-25-2008 06:41 PM

Office Depot is where I get mine... hehe... that is what ad (Office Depot) is on the banner as I type this.

lovingyoualways 02-25-2008 06:46 PM

I contacted someone on ebay who was selling the scalloped punched cardstock and whisper white and asked if I could just get the colors instead. When I got them I used my crop a dile and punched the hole for the loop. It was cheaper then buying the put together one and only took 5 minutes.

OH I also ordered the file tabs from them too so I wouldn't have to do those either lol.

kstamper 02-25-2008 07:10 PM

I recently made one using the SU large tag punch. I used my CAD to punch the holes and could punch at least 6 at a time. I wrote the name of the color with that color marker on each one and put them on a small bead chain separated by color family. I wrote the color family on a white tag to put between the families. I mainly wanted this to keep in my purse so I could have the colors handy to match with dp at the store. I keep it in a little ziploc bag so it doesn't get messed up.
I like the above poster's idea to put them all on a long loop of string so you can easily mix and match the colors. That is hard to do on my little bead chain!
It won't be a waste of paper-you will be able to use it over and over again!!

cbet 02-26-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Should I try to laminate them or would that distort the color?
I've noticed that when I heat laminate at work, sometimes colors are distorted. Not much, but if you're planning on using the ring to actually match colors, it might be just "off" enough to matter.

The distortion might be caused by the laminating film we use; it also seems to be less on some papers and worse on others. Haven't tried it with SU cardstock, so I can't say what would happen with that.

thechecker 02-26-2008 06:02 AM

I wouldn't like my (purchased) ring to be laminated. When picking for big projects, sometimes I write on them with the markers to see how ink colors would look! I write the ink color in the ink, so I can know for future.

Anne

imataloss 02-26-2008 06:13 AM

I've made them using the small tag punch and my crop-a-dile. Put them on a shower curtain ring I bought @ the hardware store for 12 for a dollar. Works great. It only took about 15 minutes to make as I have all my scraps in hanging file with each color punched out using the word window punch and labeled with the new sticker labels SU sells in our catty now. I used the second set of labels to label my color ring.

SamanthaMaree 02-26-2008 06:21 AM

I got mine on Ebay too and I LOVE it!! I paid $7 plus maybe $2 for shipping. It has all 78 colors (all of the color families, in colors from this year and last year, neutrals, vellum and specialty) it's ALL in there.

cmg.sweet 02-26-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebeart (Post 8917262)
Mine are 2" x 3" but I just ordered them off ebay :)

I ordered mine off of ebay too - but now I'm getting some replacement pieces cause somebody left a couple colors in their pocket this weekend after shopping for fabric and washed them:rolleyes:

Mine has the item number for the cardstock and ink in that color as well for quick ordering, but I really haven't used that feature much.

I also got tabs for my file folders in each color so I can see the color of cardstock in the file folder without opening it.

Absolutely worth it!

dacpam 02-26-2008 06:24 AM

I have a color sample ring that was made about 10 years ago from Su papers. It is on a ring and I never reinforced the holes and it is still fine! The original paper colors that are still on there have never been replaced and the holes are not worn or torn.

Hope this answers that part of the first question. I also have a color ring for all my Bazzill papers too. Works like a charm.

Skittl1321 02-26-2008 06:44 AM

I use the small tag punch to punch a piece of each of my cardstock. Then I use the cropadile- because it will punch through like 20-30 of them at a time, and put that on a ring.

daizelsgrandma 02-26-2008 06:51 AM

I used baseball card holders for mine. Each color is in it's own card holder (I think they are approx 3 x 4 but I am not at home to measure for sure) and they are all on an O ring. I put a label on each piece of cardstock with the color name, family and order number for both 8 1/2 x 11 & 12 x 12. I have one with all the colors and a smaller one with the neutrals & specialty papers. Works great!

Busyb 02-26-2008 07:06 AM

I have two different ones. One is 1-1/2 inch squares on a key chain that I can take shopping with me and the other is an idea I believe I got from here. It is a bulletin board that I put hooks in then I have 2x3" pieces of my SU card stock hanging on each hook. I can easily take them off and on to check colors. Also all the colors are out for me to see. I only have samples of the colors I own, otherwise I know I would always want to use a color I didn't have!

Stamper for fun 02-26-2008 07:17 AM

I got my from ebay a few years back prior to the InColors and I've since added the 07 and 08 In Colors. I see she is keeping it updated. It was worth every penny -- it would have taken me hours to do what she has done. Here is her link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampin-Up-CARDS...QQcmdZViewItem

Marshaspeck50 02-26-2008 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=bnlnkids;8917427]I also got mine off of *bay. It was SOOO worth avoiding the headache of having to measure/cut/punch some 70+ (if you're wanting to include the neutrals and In Colors) of card stocks... and labeling them... AND punching holes in them! I think I paid 6-7 dollars, plus a couple more for shipping.

I got mine off the bay also. I have added the In Colors myself but it is so worth it to have this handy and the numbers for ordering. Sometimes I don't use SU CS or paper. :) especially for kid's cards that you know will just get thrown away. It is very useful to have this to color match with less expensive cardstock.

bnlnkids 02-26-2008 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for fun (Post 8923965)
I got my from ebay a few years back prior to the InColors and I've since added the 07 and 08 In Colors. I see she is keeping it updated. It was worth every penny -- it would have taken me hours to do what she has done. Here is her link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampin-Up-CARDS...QQcmdZViewItem

That's the seller I bought mine from! :mrgreen: I guess I paid more than 6-7 dollars for it. LOL But it was absolutely worth every cent - so much so, I thought I bought it cheaper!

Her rings are top notch - prefect size and nice, clear printing... and shipping was quick, too.

kvb 02-26-2008 05:05 PM

After a debate with myself whether I'd get around to making one or not I ordered one off of eBay. It also included the new IN colors :)

Karen

khux 02-26-2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylviad (Post 8917247)
I just made one of these last week. I used my key tag punch and then punched a small hole on one end. I made small return address labels with the color name and family and stuck it on each piece of card stock and then strung them on some gold elastic cord that I got on some gift or another. (I never throw things like that away!) It was about a foot long so I have plenty of flexibility when it comes to pulling colors together. It is so KOOOOOOL!!! I can turn the punched card stock with the labels down and shuffle colors together to my heart's content. My DD did the same thing but she used her scallop punch. (Actually, she is the one that gave me the idea.) I raised such a clever girl!

I love the idea of using the scalloped punch to make them. Functional and pretty! I would probably leave them unlaminated so that I can test gel pen colours on them. Use one side for a test side and the other blank. If the test side fills up then you can just replace that one colour.

McStamper 02-26-2008 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The one I made is 2 1/2 x 4 1/4". I also made a ring of all my inks and a ring ( circles ) of all my embossing powders, the names are on the back of the circle.

LDSDinks1993 02-26-2008 06:10 PM

I used a small tag punch, then wrote the color on one side - put them all through a laminater and then punched a hole in each one. I used gold cord to put them together. I have one for each color group, a neutral one, and one for retired colors that I still have.

Quiltnstamper 02-26-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol Lee (Post 8919240)
I can't be that organized. I have tried in the past but failed miserably. I will continue to use the "eyeball, pick the closest, and pray they look o.k." method.

Too funny, too true!:p

Emily Ann 02-26-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for fun (Post 8923965)
I got my from ebay a few years back prior to the InColors and I've since added the 07 and 08 In Colors. I see she is keeping it updated. It was worth every penny -- it would have taken me hours to do what she has done. Here is her link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampin-Up-CARDS...QQcmdZViewItem


I bought the card stock ring from her too. She is very nice.

I also picked up a Designer Paper ring, and some file folder tabs. She does indeed keep the colors updated. The latest InColors are available to purchase for those who already have the Cardstock ring.

It was so worth it. I just never would have gotten around to making one myself.

All the ideas here on how to make a ring are great. Which ever way you go you will be glad to have the colors for quick refrence.

Emily Ann 02-26-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStamper (Post 8932625)
The one I made is 2 1/2 x 4 1/4". I also made a ring of all my inks and a ring ( circles ) of all my embossing powders, the names are on the back of the circle.


Oh how I wish I was as organized as you. Your samples are wonderful!

efromhawaii 02-26-2008 10:49 PM

I used my DreamKuts to cut the cardstock into 4 1/4 x 2 3/4 (which is an A2 cardfront cut in half). I punched all the holes with the Bind It All and used the 1 1/4" coils to hold it all together. My swatchbook has all 48 standard colors, 9 retired colors, 12 In Colors, 5 neutrals, and 5 specialty colors (2 confettis, 2 naturals and kraft). I also printed all the labels with the color names and SU group on little self-stick address labels. I was able to make 2 books in a little over 3 hours.

It sounds like it took a long time to assemble but I think I must have spent at least an hour trying to decide how to organize the swatchbook. Should it be by SU color groups, by color family, alphabetical (that was a DUH choice). I finally decided that the neutrals and specialty colors would be by themselves and all the other colors would be sorted into color families (red, orange, yellow, etc....) and I used a color wheel to help in grouping the colors.

Erin


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:30 PM.