Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/)
-   -   Can We Talk SU? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-f17/can-we-talk-su-t299601.html)

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 11:54 AM

Can We Talk SU?
 
Sometimes I need information or ideas about SU only, I get discouraged going through mounds of posts, blogs, and comments about all the other products out there, when I really want to stick to Stampin'Up!

I appreciate that not everybody uses SU only, I've been there. It sure would be nice to have a place to go where you don't have to "adapt" everything you see. (Colors, Stamps, DP's) and the products would be what you have.

They have forums and threads for all the other companies, so would anybody be interested in just talking SU! on this thread?

BTW, I am NOT, nor have I ever been, a demo. So come on, let me know if this would be valuable to anyone besides me, and we'll get this going.

SCEmily 11-09-2007 11:57 AM

Sounds good to me:).

Bobbye 11-09-2007 11:58 AM

Wow! I think this is a great idea! We could talk about what we are working on and stuff.

I'm working on making Christmas tags using the Tags for All from the winter mini. I found some in the gallery, and I'm adapting some of them, and then I think I'll make some like the ones I saw at Target today.

SCEmily 11-09-2007 12:01 PM

Oh, and here is a thread of blogs that use mainly SU!http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=297218

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 12:04 PM

I am so glad somebody agrees with me. I have been working on the Simply Sent set - I did a few as per instructions, then I went off on my own - I have posted some of them oin my gallery, If you'd like to look. You may notice some of my stuff is not SU, I haven't been doing this too long, and I started off like everybody else. Use what you have!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=299601.

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 12:05 PM

Thanks, Emily, I will check it out

JulieHRR 11-09-2007 12:29 PM

You can talk about anything stamping related in here! http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/biggrin.gif

I love that there's something for everyone here, whatever we like and use or want to know more about!

I just wanted to also mention about the forum search engine, if there's something specific you were looking for.

Keywords are very helpful, like: SU! scallop circle punch

This works in the gallery, too! So awesome! You can find projects in there that use SU! products exclusively by using keyword SUO (Stampin' Up! Only), and if you keyword your own projects that way when you upload, it enables others to find those kinds of projects!
I'm just thinking out loud . . . I do that . . . http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/nerdylaff.gif

Anyhoo, I love keywords. So cool!

HTH!

Bobbye 11-09-2007 12:34 PM

I have a question....
Can you "doodle" with a versamarker (the pen) and have a design like you would get if you stamped with the versamarker pad? I love that "tone on tone" look, but just wondered if I could free-hand something.

DannieGrvs 11-09-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 7670940)
This works in the gallery, too! So awesome! You can find projects in there that use SU! products exclusively by using keyword SUO (Stampin' Up! Only), and if you keyword your own projects that way when you upload, it enables others to find those kinds of projects!

Do people use the SUO keyword or is that part of your "thinking out loud"? I think it's a great idea. I think 99% of my stuff in my gallery is strictly SU!, but I never would have thought of adding that keyword when I uploaded. Hmmmm....should I be adding it?

*SeikasHaven* 11-09-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbye (Post 7670987)
I have a question....
Can you "doodle" with a versamarker (the pen) and have a design like you would get if you stamped with the versamarker pad? I love that "tone on tone" look, but just wondered if I could free-hand something.

Yes. The pen has two tips, fine and thick and you can free hand with them. I like this for handwriting my sentiments and then embossing them!

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 12:39 PM

versa marker
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbye (Post 7670987)
I have a question....
Can you "doodle" with a versamarker (the pen) and have a design like you would get if you stamped with the versamarker pad? I love that "tone on tone" look, but just wondered if I could free-hand something.

I have never tried that, but it should work? wouldn't it? But I am no good at drawing, so I prob would use a stamp instead - that's why I have those whimsey things - I don't doodle haha

mrussom 11-09-2007 12:42 PM

Bobbye - first off, yes, I believe you can use the Versamarker - it should leave an image similar to a Versamark pad. I have one but its been a long time since I have used it.

And second, OMG, I just cracked up when I saw your signature line-I have the same problem at home. When you get it figured out (I'm talking about the cat across the table here), let me know.

And LBD (that's short for littleblackdog - who by the way is adorable!) I like a SU only kind of thread. There is SO much on this site that it gets a bit overwhelming. I tend to buy stuff strictly through SU, other than some brads and things like that. But stamps and papers and colors are SU pretty much these days - so its nice to see things here that I can do at home with what I have.

geekgirl415 11-09-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannieGrvs (Post 7671005)
Do people use the SUO keyword or is that part of your "thinking out loud"? I think it's a great idea. I think 99% of my stuff in my gallery is strictly SU!, but I never would have thought of adding that keyword when I uploaded. Hmmmm....should I be adding it?

Yup- SUO in the key word section- then you can search by SUO and get SUO!
A movement started a few months ago for this and if you search by SUO, there are over 1000 projects already...

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 12:44 PM

Thanks, Julie. I knew about the gallery, but sometimes I just like to browse, and run into all kinds of stuff that I would not be able (or willing) to try to duplicate. Maybe someone could tell me what colors of SU CS will match these 2 DP's I just got last week - the "blue" in outlaw and the purple in "uptown, or downtown or something like that"

Bobbye 11-09-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *SeikasHaven* (Post 7671035)
Yes. The pen has two tips, fine and thick and you can free hand with them. I like this for handwriting my sentiments and then embossing them!

Wow...that is cool. I just got the pen and opened it up just now, and it does have 2 ends, like the other markers that SU sells. I can't wait to try it. I got it for embossing, but then I started wondering if it would watermark.

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 12:48 PM

Thanks - glad you like my little silky terrier. His name is Mopsey, he weighs about 9 lbs.He's not really black, more silver, but sometimes he looks black. He is a mess! Spoiled rotten, and lovin' every minute of it!

Bobbye 11-09-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrussom (Post 7671082)

And second, OMG, I just cracked up when I saw your signature line-I have the same problem at home. When you get it figured out (I'm talking about the cat across the table here), let me know.

.

In the avitar, one of the cats is helping me inspect my first attempt at using the pearlX powders.... They (I have two, Ozzie and Harriet) seem to know when I have something that I'm working real hard on....like setting an eyelet with my crop-a-dile. As soon as I get the tool almost into the eyelet, Ozzie likes to bump his head on my hand, and the eyelet goes flying.

bb&kk 11-09-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleblackdog (Post 7671121)
Thanks, Julie. I knew about the gallery, but sometimes I just like to browse, and run into all kinds of stuff that I would not be able (or willing) to try to duplicate. Maybe someone could tell me what colors of SU CS will match these 2 DP's I just got last week - the "blue" in outlaw and the purple in "uptown, or downtown or something like that"

The colors in Outlaw that coordinate are Choc Chip, Creamy Carmel, Really Rust, Sage Shadow and Very Vanilla


For Uptown it's Almost Amethyst Basic Grey, So Saffron and Wild Wassabi.

Barbara
PS Love the SU thread

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 01:00 PM

SeikasHaven - I just looked at your gallery - how cute is the White Pickett Fence!! I have been making some of the tag-punch starbursts, and you are left with many, many small tags - what a great way to use some of them up!

bb&kk 11-09-2007 01:02 PM

Also looks very cool to Vesamark and emboss your signature on dark CS. My DD and my niece did this on all of their Christmas cards one year.

Barbara

littleblackdog 11-09-2007 01:02 PM

Thanks bb&kk, maybe I can get something to match up now, gotta run - dinner date! Carch ya later.

mrussom 11-09-2007 01:18 PM

I thought he looked more silver than black, but thought it was just the picture. Still adorable.

And I love the cat story! Its good to know that I'm not alone when I constantly pick up the cat, move her off of my paper, cutter, table, tape, whatever. And she just jumps back up anyway.

And, not to make this a thread about animals in avatars, but I'm not leaving the other adorable dogs out - they are cute too! One looks very cool in his shades and the other, well, is just adorable looking.

MaiTi 11-09-2007 01:25 PM

All of my stuff is Stampin' Up!, because I'm a hobby demo.

Right now I'm working on stuff for a craft fair for next Friday. I'm really excited!

GinaP 11-09-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbye (Post 7670987)
I have a question....
Can you "doodle" with a versamarker (the pen) and have a design like you would get if you stamped with the versamarker pad? I love that "tone on tone" look, but just wondered if I could free-hand something.

I am not sure if anyone else answered this yet, but you can use the marker for doodling, yes. The marker doesn't stay as wet as long as the inkpad, so it's not good for embossing, but if all you're looking for is a watermark or tone-on-tone, it'll do the job!

Hope this helps~

hotwheels 11-09-2007 01:46 PM

OK
I have question about the Crystal Effcet? Is the Crystal Effcet Su name brand. How differnt name are there? Dose anyone what they called it at Michaels. I was told by Su demo the Crystal Effcet is something you can mix Ex peal? is this ture and how work? I was trying find it at Michaels where is the in store? If they carry it can I still mix with ex peal. I am try find it for chirstmas gift. May hobby lobby or joanns. I am ex peal and try find the Crystal Effcet can anyone help me.
Thanks,
Hotwheels

JulieHRR 11-09-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannieGrvs (Post 7671005)
Do people use the SUO keyword or is that part of your "thinking out loud"? I think it's a great idea. I think 99% of my stuff in my gallery is strictly SU!, but I never would have thought of adding that keyword when I uploaded. Hmmmm....should I be adding it?

It's not my idea--many of the SU! demonstrators keyword their uploads this way, so they can find SUO projects specifically.

The trick is, the project should feature SU! stamping/paper/accessory products exclusively, or the system won't work like it should, if what you want are projects that only show SU! and no other brands, UKWIM?

jenguin 11-09-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels (Post 7671804)
OK
I have question about the Crystal Effcet? Is the Crystal Effcet Su name brand. How differnt name are there? Dose anyone what they called it at Michaels. I was told by Su demo the Crystal Effcet is something you can mix Ex peal? is this ture and how work? I was trying find it at Michaels where is the in store? If they carry it can I still mix with ex peal. I am try find it for chirstmas gift. May hobby lobby or joanns. I am ex peal and try find the Crystal Effcet can anyone help me.
Thanks,
Hotwheels

Crystal Effects is also called Diamond Glaze. I've never seen it at Michaels, only my LSS.
I have yet to use it with pearl ex, but it is a great product!! And even substitutes for crazy glue to glue kids' toys back together :)

JulieHRR 11-09-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels (Post 7671804)
OK
I have question about the Crystal Effcet? Is the Crystal Effcet Su name brand. How differnt name are there? Dose anyone what they called it at Michaels. I was told by Su demo the Crystal Effcet is something you can mix Ex peal? is this ture and how work? I was trying find it at Michaels where is the in store? If they carry it can I still mix with ex peal. I am try find it for chirstmas gift. May hobby lobby or joanns. I am ex peal and try find the Crystal Effcet can anyone help me.
Thanks,
Hotwheels

Crystal Effects is the SU! brand name, but, you can find the same product under many names, Linda!

At Michael's, you can find it as:

Ranger Glossy Accents
Papier Paint in Clear by Plaid (used to be called Dimensional Magic)
Aleene's Paper Glaze in Clear
Clear Liquid Embossing by Plaid
Gallery Glass Paint, in clear, by Plaid

At independent stamp stores, you may find it as:

Crystal 3D Lacquer by Sakura
Diamond Glaze by JudiKins
Ranger Glossy Accents

As you can see, it's a very common product/the same product, all sold by companies under different names. :)

I've never tried the technique of mixing it with Pearl Ex; I use Future Floor Wax with Pearl Ex, so I can't really tell you anything about the technique you are describing.

hotwheels 11-09-2007 02:01 PM

Thank for the imforation if any any more imformation that would share pleas do so, because I am very culeless on what I am trying to find.
Thanks,
hotwheels




quote=jenguin;7671869]Crystal Effects is also called Diamond Glaze. I've never seen it at Michaels, only my LSS.
I have yet to use it with pearl ex, but it is a great product!! And even substitutes for crazy glue to glue kids' toys back together :)[/quote]

MSBetsyZ 11-09-2007 02:07 PM

It makes an excellent glue, for sure! It is actually a "dimensional adhesive," after all, lol! Wonderful stuff, whatever the brand name!

StampinSulli 11-09-2007 02:08 PM

I really love SU! What would be something that you would recommend to a friend to buy right now besides the DSP.

hotwheels 11-09-2007 02:15 PM

Thank Julie,
I need the listed so much. I actually have secret santa how wanted
Crystal Effcet and I was told you can mix it with ex peal. I not sure she going you the Crystal Effcet for? But each products can be use the same way right? Dose anyone know the answer? I am trying to make if I find the stuff she will be use for every she wanted to right with wasting my money.


Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 7671896)
Crystal Effcet?is the SU! brand name, but, you can find the same product under many names, Linda!

At Michael's, you can find it as:

Ranger Glossy Accents
Papier Paint in Clear by Plaid (used to be called Dimensional Magic)
Aleene's Paper Glaze in Clear
Clear Liquid Embossing by Plaid
Gallery Glass Paint, in clear, by Plaid

At independent stamp stores, you may find it as:

Crystal 3D Lacquer by Sakura
Diamond Glaze by JudiKins
Ranger Glossy Accents

As you can see, it's a very common product/the same product, all sold by companies under different names. :)

I've never tried the technique of mixing it with Pearl Ex; I use Future Floor Wax with Pearl Ex, so I can't really tell you anything about the technique you are describing.


pattyb 11-09-2007 02:17 PM

Linda are you looking for specific ways to use Crystal Effects or do you want to know more about mixing it w/pearl ex?

Crystal effects, or any of the other names that Julie mentioned, (I'll bet a lot of it comes from the same factory and is just packaged with different labels;)
) Anyway there's lots of things you can do with it!

pattyb 11-09-2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSulli (Post 7672053)
I really love SU! What would be something that you would recommend to a friend to buy right now besides the DSP.

The jumbo eyelets! The stitched ribbon is also hot. I just demonstrated the "Accent and Element" tins and sold 5 of them! After people saw them they loved them!

SCEmily 11-09-2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels (Post 7672124)
Thank Julie,
I need the listed so much. I actually have secret santa how wanted
Crystal Effcet and I was told you can mix it with ex peal. I not sure she going you the Crystal Effcet for? But each products can be use the same way right? Dose anyone know the answer? I am trying to make if I find the stuff she will be use for every she wanted to right with wasting my money.

I've never heard of mixing it with pearl ex. I don't really see how that would work since pearl ex is shimmery and crystal effects isn't. I wonder if maybe she was thinking of shimmer spray (or whatever it's called)? You put some Pearl ex in hairspray and then mist your cards with it for a sparkle effect.

Joan B 11-09-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSulli (Post 7672053)
I really love SU! What would be something that you would recommend to a friend to buy right now besides the DSP.

If the friend is fairly new to stamping and hasn't yet stuffed her house with numerous impulse buys -- all the fault of SCS!! -- I would recommend at least the following SU products:

The colored cardstock is really first rate. From there, you have all the other products that coordinate with it -- inks, ribbons, chalks, markers, brads, etc. You could go broke with just that stuff and that is where I would start. I particularly love the new taffeta ribbons.

For stamps, there are a few backgrounds that I really love because they are so versatile -- Linen, French Script, and Aida Cloth come to mind. I hated Tres Chic until I saw amazingly beautiful stuff with it, so have her browse the galleries to see what she likes.

Ditto with the stamp sets. That's such a personal decision that I would hesitate to recommend any particular set. They are top quality so she should select what she likes.

At this point, she's bankrupt but happy!

hotwheels 11-09-2007 02:29 PM

What is technique were you mix Crystal Effcet Pearl Ex? And Out of the listed beside SU Crystal Effcet? What do You all think the next best stuff and the close to the Crystal Effcet from SU Let heard some feedback. If I was to be able find all these would subgust I Buy for a gift since she never tried it and I have not tried either?

Ranger Glossy Accents
Papier Paint in Clear by Plaid (used to be called Dimensional Magic)
Aleene's Paper Glaze in Clear
Clear Liquid Embossing by Plaid
Gallery Glass Paint, in clear, by Plaid

At independent stamp stores, you may find it as:

Crystal 3D Lacquer by Sakura
Diamond Glaze by JudiKins
Ranger Glossy Accents

Bobbye 11-09-2007 02:38 PM

Lumiere?
 
My next question (you guys always have answers!!!)
I have a jar of "lumiere" that I bought from SU before they quit selling it. I have no clue as to what to do with it!!!! It says it's pearl white acrylic paint. I don't know why I bought it. I have never heard of anyone using it either...

hotwheels 11-09-2007 02:40 PM

Pattyb:
I guess both I trying to find friends chirstmas gift I am sure what my friends are going used it. She said she would like to try it. And some trying find it for her try it. And I wanted to make sure I get the right stuff. Or as colse to SU Crystal Effects. As possiable and learn more about myself.
Thanks
Hotwheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyb (Post 7672139)
Linda are you looking for specific ways to use Crystal Effects or do you want to know more about mixing it w/pearl ex?

Crystal effects, or any of the other names that Julie mentioned, (I'll bet a lot of it comes from the same factory and is just packaged with different labels;)
) Anyway there's lots of things you can do with it!


JulieHRR 11-09-2007 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbye (Post 7672344)
My next question (you guys always have answers!!!)
I have a jar of "lumiere" that I bought from SU before they quit selling it. I have no clue as to what to do with it!!!! It says it's pearl white acrylic paint. I don't know why I bought it. I have never heard of anyone using it either...

Mix Pearl Ex into the Lumiere to tint it the color you want. It is frequently used for fabric painting, on canvases, leather, wood, paper, etc.

It is made by Jacquard, and you can find more information about it HERE.

;)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:46 PM.