Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Art journaling/mixed media/collage HELP

So I'm not really sure what it's called -but I would like to know more on painting/ stamping etc on canvas. And Journal books. I have a favorite stamp company that has gorgeous journals and canvas art but I am having a hard time figuring out if the same supplies are used for both. Stamping Bella is where I have seen this done - on their blog. : )

I really would like to try this but was wondering if anyone would share with me a list of basic supplies that could get me started. I tried going through their blogs and others to make my own, but honestly, it was sensory overload!!! I couldn't decide what was basic, or necessary because all the pretty colors of paints, gel pens, etc. made it to my must have list - which I KNOW I don't have to have it ALL!!! Any help, advice, tips or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. I have no supplies right now so I'm starting fresh!

Thanks so much,
Shaunna
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sure others will be able to provide some useful online links for you for tutorials, etc.

But I do want to recommend a few publications - Somerset Apprentice, Somerset Studio, and Art Studio may be particularly helpful: Publications

I find all of the Stampington publications to be very inspirational. They are usually available at major booksellers (like Barnes & Noble) and sometimes at Joann's, and of course you can subscribe and purchase back issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,377 Likes on 512 Posts

I love reading Art Journaling from Stampington & Co. It's a quarterly publication. Products I see used a lot throughout the magazine are gesso, markers, and paint. All other materials used seem to be random collections of anything - really! Things like junk mail envelopes, clothing tags, magazine ads, newspaper, tissue paper, etc.

I recommend looking through an issue or two or Art Journaling. The featured artists always have a tips sidebar in their articles plus you can see the ways they use products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I love this woman's videos on youtube. She does amazing journals and reviews of products she uses.

Comfortable Shoes Studio

For collage I go to Claudine Hellmuth for guidance...I took a collage class of hers last year and love it. Her matte medium is AMAZING..Can be used for glue and transfer techniques etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I think the biggest thing to remember about art journaling is it is for you. That means you should use products you're comfortable with and love. I would say gesso is a must have because it allows you to prep pages for painting and you can cover things up with it! I started out using a lot of things I already had and used for card making. I have added some acrylic paints, watercolor paints, stencils, gesso, spray inks and a few pens. Some people do a lot of collage - that's not my thing so I do very little of it. I love using the spray inks with and without the stencils. Just jump in and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am an art journaler. If you buy everything on an art journaler's list you will be in the poor farm faster than a snap. Like Cindy 55 said art journaling is for you. Here's one of my favorite forums: Art Journaling - It's all good!. The forum has a lot of great tips for supplies that will help you get started without breaking the bank.

Art journaling is really hot now. A lot of people want to make money off of it. I don't have a problem with that. It sure came out that way, lol. What I meant is that all the information product overload is really confusing to anyone new to art journaling with the trend so hot now. I have been art journaling for years before it became an obsession.

Gesso is the most popular for prepping pages. I don't like Gesso. I don't really use it. When I do use Gesso I make my own. My DH works for a company that has the Gesso supplies. I can make Gesso for free.

My art journaling tools that are important to me are my coloring tools. I work with everything from Copics to Crayola. I prefer Mixed Media journals so each of my pages can take what mediums I throw at it. I use a lot of found objects, magazine cutouts, die cuts, stickers, my own art work, stamps, etc...

I hope that helps. Buy you a nice sketchbook or journal that inspires you and let your creativity take over.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

There are so many fantastic blogs out there with inspiration for journaling. I can't draw, I can't paint, but I still love seeing all kinds of examples. I use Google Reader for blog feeds and subscribe to tons of them. Tons! I regularly check out the blogger's links to other blogs he/she likes and add some to my feed. This all makes for an explosion in sources of inspiration and education, and most of it is not peddling some specific products. The blog below, for example, has beautiful watercolor journal samples, and there is are tutorials, such as for making a simple portable palette.

Painted Thoughts Blog: San Fran's Gardens, Ladies and A New Obsession!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Here's a blog entry with a tutorial on stamping on canvas: Technique: Water Color on Canvas � Stamping | CraftGossip.com

I used the google search that targets only blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

SUB

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about art journals

i just picked up a small journal at michaels. i never thought of using gesso on the page. i thought they were covered with paper, then painted, stamped, journaled, etc. so would i gesso the pages first? is one type of journal better than another. mine does have fairly thick pages, which i figured was neccessary. i love reading others blogs about things, but sometimes i think i spend to much time "researching" and not doing.

so gesso thoughts and any other quick suggestions. and how do you ladies ever have time for all the things i have found on this website. i've always been a crafter but scs has provided me with more ideas than i could ever do. i do try and my house is a mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've had gesso for a long time and just started using it in my new art journal. It primes the paper and doesn't let the media seep through to the other side. The great thing about art journaling, though, is that, like scrapbooking and stamping, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Just do what makes you happy and use what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

oh i have gesso. in fact i am sure that i have supplies enough for 10 people! i live too too close to the local michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
i just picked up a small journal at michaels. i never thought of using gesso on the page. i thought they were covered with paper, then painted, stamped, journaled, etc. so would i gesso the pages first? is one type of journal better than another. mine does have fairly thick pages, which i figured was neccessary. i love reading others blogs about things, but sometimes i think i spend to much time "researching" and not doing.

so gesso thoughts and any other quick suggestions. and how do you ladies ever have time for all the things i have found on this website. i've always been a crafter but scs has provided me with more ideas than i could ever do. i do try and my house is a mess!
I think picking a journal is an art form in itself. Some journalers prefer Moleskins, others prefer making their own, some prefer mixed media journals and etc, etc, etc. It's really mind boggling. I am not on the Moleskin train. I just don't like working with them. I prefer mixed media books or making my own.

Gesso was made to prime canvases. Usually it goes on first. With Mixed Media journaling artists on using Gesso in several different stages. Sometimes artists put it on last. I know that one confuses me too. It looks good.

I will never have time to do all the crafting things I want too. :( It's so depressing, lol. I love to art journal because you can take five minutes or a whole day to art journal. Some days I only have time to draw and other days I have time to do fancy pages.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

You do not NEED to use gesso. When I first started art journaling I did not use it. My pages turned out just fine. Over time, I found the gesso helps stop the the paints/inks/water whatever I'm using from seeping or staining the back of the page. With gesso, I can use whatever media I want on my page without worrying the colors will run or stain the preceeding page.

You can probably use whatever you've been using in stanmping for art journaling . As someone mentioned earlier, just use with you are already comfortable with. In fact i think I use my stamping stuff more on art journal pages that I did when I was strictly stamping. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to use my cuttlebug on bound journal pages, but I will get there!

There area LOT of great resources on the web- ideas, online classes, blogs, etc . It is so eay to get overwhelmed. The best thing you can do is just CREATE. There is no "wrong" in art journaling. If you dont like what you've done you can paint, collage or gesso over it ( another great use for gesso!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I don't use Gesso on my pages either. In an earlier post I make my own Gesso. I don't really like it. I know so many art journalers are Gesso, Gesso, Gesso and Moleskin, Moleskin, Moleskin, lol. I don't like either of those items.

That's what is so cool about art jornaling. Just go with it. Love your color pencils use them in your art journal. Want to do encaustic art? Throw it in your art journal. Just want to Gesso the whole thing and stamp a polka dot background? Do it! Your book, your rules, your fun.

I love to Cuttlebug & use my electronic die cutters in my art journal. One of my favorite techniques.

One tip if you are going to use sticky type mediums like Mod Podge, Gel Acrylics, Acrylic Paint (Can get goopy in humid climates) use a piece of wax sheet to cover your page so your journal won't stick together.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

i'm rather remedial, but moleskin is just a type of cover?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Everything you wanted to know about moleskin- Moleskine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to hold a moleskin journal in your hand Barnes & Noble and Target carry the journals.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I teach Art Journaling at my LSS, mostly as a way to teach techniques. I recommend visiting Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's website at this link: Balzer Designs: Art Journal Every Day

Perfect for beginners, to answer all your questions, as well as offering challenges for those that are advanced...to help stretch your creative edge. Julie has some fantastic YouTube videos as well, for those that prefer a more visual explanation.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Everything you wanted to know about moleskin- Moleskine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to hold a moleskin journal in your hand Barnes & Noble and Target carry the journals.
I have to say it! I wish you had a blog you have so much information on variations from the pack and thinking outside of the box from art journaling to die cutting!

Great blog links everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am new to art journalling. I just started mixed media on canvas.
I have been watching Christy Tomlinson on You Tube videos, and I am nuts about what she does! I love her messy art style a lot! Her stuff turns out amazing!! I love how she uses her fingers to paint her canvases. She does a lot of mixed media, art journalling just to name a few things.
My craft area already has quite a few things I can use to art journal, and slowly I am buying a few more things.
She makes it look so fun!
I will be checking out the aforementioned sites here!
Can't wait to see what everyone else does out there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I have to say it! I wish you had a blog you have so much information on variations from the pack and thinking outside of the box from art journaling to die cutting!

Great blog links everyone.
Thank you. That made me smile. I do have a blog. I have no posts on it. Least I got the blog up, lol. I do want to start blogging but every time I set down I keep having a wrench thrown into those plans. Like big wrenches. This seems to be year that my life is quiet but my loved ones need me. The year before it was a trying year. I was going to start blogging this Summer and it's too darn hot to create. I am a bad artist, I know. I have been playing Pogo. I did stamp with India Ink tonight. I made my own stamp pad with my India Ink and then stamped with it. You know Copics don't smear with India Ink? I tried it on glossy and matte cardstock.

I just bought a beautiful new journal to start working on. My DH is pushing me to blog too. I will be happy when the heat breaks so I can be creative again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you. That made me smile. I do have a blog. I have no posts on it. Least I got the blog up, lol. I do want to start blogging but every time I set down I keep having a wrench thrown into those plans. Like big wrenches. This seems to be year that my life is quiet but my loved ones need me. The year before it was a trying year. I was going to start blogging this Summer and it's too darn hot to create. I am a bad artist, I know. I have been playing Pogo. I did stamp with India Ink tonight. I made my own stamp pad with my India Ink and then stamped with it. You know Copics don't smear with India Ink? I tried it on glossy and matte cardstock.

I just bought a beautiful new journal to start working on. My DH is pushing me to blog too. I will be happy when the heat breaks so I can be creative again.
My biggest advice on blogging, do what suits you. I hadn't blogged for months and then uploaded about 20 projects in one go. It helped that I finally worked out my photo editting software so I could update my gallery too. TBH I'm now up to date so my blog will be ignored again for a few weeks... I make no apologies it is what it is. I hope you find the time you need soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts

I have been looking at alot of blogs and You Tube videos about Atr Journaling. I found this blog- Paula Phillips and she makes alot of You Tube video's- fabulous!!!

Here is the link

Enjoy!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
My biggest advice on blogging, do what suits you. I hadn't blogged for months and then uploaded about 20 projects in one go. It helped that I finally worked out my photo editting software so I could update my gallery too. TBH I'm now up to date so my blog will be ignored again for a few weeks... I make no apologies it is what it is. I hope you find the time you need soon.
Thank you so much for the advice. I truly do appreciate it. I think a lot of my blogging block stems from that I have to post several times a week. A lot of times that is just not going to happen with my lifestyle. I do admire the girls who can blog daily but I would just fall over in exhaustion if I tried that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thank you so much for the advice. I truly do appreciate it. I think a lot of my blogging block stems from that I have to post several times a week. A lot of times that is just not going to happen with my lifestyle. I do admire the girls who can blog daily but I would just fall over in exhaustion if I tried that.
I know what you mean. I like my hobby, I don't want to turn it into a job!
Reply With Quote Likes