Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Substitutes For Blending Stumps?

Hello Everyone,
I've spent a considerable amount of time reading these forums and browsing the gallery here, and finally wanted to post. It seems any questions I had were already asked, and a quick search led me to the answers, so there was no need to post before. So anyway....HI:p

I have been reading up on the coloring options for stamps. I do not like using my markers alone, so I purchased colored pencils....now I'm waiting for my blending pen to arrive. I have walmarts version of gamsol, but no stumps. I have eye-shadow applicators, & the sponge-ish stump make-up applicators, will any of those work? Any other suggestions??

I purchased the aquabrushes, and am waiting for my twinkling h2o's to arive. Those should be fun. I need to find a sub for the stumps, because I swear.....I have ordered and spent so much on stamping stuff lately it would make me sick to order another thing.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My hats off to all you ladies.....very lovely cards in the gallery.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome and thanks for posting! We're so happy that you've decided to participate, as well as just read!
I am certainly not an expert, but I think that there's no substitute for blending stumps. You get a different look with a blender pen. You get a different look with an aquabrush. They're both lovely, and they might be what you're looking for. However, if it's colored pencils and odorless mineral spirits you're trying, blending stumps are required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much Leslie for the quick response! I was afraid of that. There is only a hobby lobby near me...well 45 mins away. So I will have to order online. I think I'll wait for what I have already ordered to arrive, and play with what I have for now, and throw the stumps in my next purchase.

One more question....I need a SU demo. According to the SU website, the nearest one to me is not close at all, and she has no website. I would prefer a demo who does online ordering. I don't have any friends that stamp to arrange a party, so I would just need someone to place my orders for me. Could I find a demo from these boards? So far, I have been getting all my SU sets from e-bay....but would love to have a demo and a current catty....etc. Any suggestions there??? Thanks so much!

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

If you have an art supply store near you, they will likely carry blending stamps. I think the arty term may be tortillons. Anyway, people use then for blending pastels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Wendy, where do you live? I'm sure there are plenty of SU demos out there who would love to do online sales. I do some for my family and friends who do not live in my city.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

WJones,
One question... what kind of colored pencils do you have? I know that gamsol works really well with the Prismacolor Pencils, but I'm not at all sure that it works with other brands.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

WJones-

With the Gamsol/colored Pencils, there is an artist on Prismacolor's website that uses rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to blend the pencils. I've tried it with 90% rubbing alcohol, and it works but it wasn't as precise in small areas as the stumps.

Also, partly in answer to GarnetJ's question - I have a set of RoseArt colored pencils (cheap, from WalMart) and the gamsol/stumps work with them. Some colors better than others, and the PrismaColors blend more easily overall, but other brands of pencils do work. I've tried it with:
RoseArt
Crayola
Pentech
Some strange brand from Michaels that came in a wooden spinning holder with markers a few Christmases ago
PrismaColor

The PrismaColor works best - the colors are more intense to begin with and blend out more easily - but the others do work in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 03:10 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Under the Hackberry Tree, Deep In The Heart Of Texas

Blending stumps are tightly rolled paper.

I have rolled heavy weight paper into a sharp point and used it before when I ran off and left my blending stumps at home. It worked well enough, but I wouldn't want to do it if I planned on doing a ton of coloring.

You can also use skewers with tips rolled in cotton from cotton balls. I tried toothpicks but they snapped too easily.

I have also used baby oil, clear shoe polish cream and glycerin before as blending mediums when I ran out (dumped over the bottle) of gamsol in the middle of a project.

As far as what pencils to use - I have prismacolors, prang, creative memories, Stampin' Up!, crayola and off brands. All collected over the years as my hobby progressed. I like the choice of colors that you get with prismacolors and the opacity(?) (is that a word?), but my prangs run a close second. Then the SU! pencils but not enough color choices. I can blend them to get other colors but I would rather just grab one that is already to go. KWIM?

Good luck,
Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for all of your replys. I now have a demo! Yea!! I have no art type store near me though, only hobby lobby - 45 mins away. I will break down and order the stumps if I need them. I have Ticonderoga core lock artist grade colored pencils. I have had them for a few years and thought I might finally be able to get some use out of them. After I get my stumps, if I find I will use the gamsol technique regularly, I will get some prisma pencils.

Guess I need to works on some cards to upload. Today is my laundry & cleaning day. I need to get caught up on my chores so I can play. Thanks so much again.

Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Stumps are one of the cheaper things I have purchased...so that's a good thing. I have tried several different things. Although q-tips do work, they aren't as precise and I don't think they blend as well.

I know you said you don't have any art stores nearby. If you haven't ordered from Dick Blick (I think they are now owned by Office Depot) they usually have really good prices. If you have a university or college nearby - there campus store often has art supplies. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 08:28 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I went ahead and ordered the stumps along with tons of other things........thats my big problem. I can't seem to order just what I need LOL! I did go ahead and get a 48 set of prismacolor pencils also...I figured if I'm going to give it my best, I need the best supplies. Thanks so much - Wendy

PS Posting another thread about my great find!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

If you have a Staples near by, they sell prismacolor pencils and blending stumps. The stumps are in the aisle with the drafting supplies. Staedler makes them, I think. You get a set with a bunch of different sizes, plus a sanding file, eraser, pencil and some other things.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I read on another forum that a dried up blender pen would work with baby oil and pencils - and it did! I used SU Pure Color pencils with baby oil and a dry blender. Turned out great. (Thanks, Markey!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Also be aware that the type of paper you use makes a difference with this technique...if what you are using isn't working, try a different paper. Trial & error...I use the white cardstock from Georgia Pacific available at Walmart or Sams.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much for the replys. I ordered some stumps from oriental trading company, and I picked up a pack of GP cardstock from Wal-Mart last week while I was there. The stumps from otc are supposed to be self sharpening - it says you just peel a layer from the stump. We'll see......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Blending Stumps Substitutes

Glad you got some blending stumps, as you have discovered they are the cheapest thing you will purchase. Just an IMPORTANT HINT: I, and many others, have found that the Chinese made blending stumps are wound so tightly they just won't absorb the gamsol. Best to use stumps made in Taiwan. Gina K, online, sells the Taiwanese stumps (pkg of 6 sizes) very cheaply, under $3.00.

Prismacolor also has a colorless blender pen that is the same as a blending stump, under $3.00. I use it in small areas. A larger colorless blending stick, under $3.00 is available for larger areas. Results are good, but without the pop of gamsol.

Best of luck, you're going to love the results when you have all the "right stuff."
Reply With Quote Likes