Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Pricing retired stamp sets

Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out the best way to price my retired Stampin' Up stamp sets, etc. I want to make sure that I get the best price for them and actually get them sold. Do you have any suggestions? Are there any rules that you stick by? Any insight or wisdom would help. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarabizzView Post
Hi everyone. I am trying to figure out the best way to price my retired Stampin' Up stamp sets, etc. I want to make sure that I get the best price for them and actually get them sold. Do you have any suggestions? Are there any rules that you stick by? Any insight or wisdom would help. Thanks.

Well, the last time I sold a set, the first thing I did was check ebay. I took the average of the recently completed sales for it (say within the past month) and then split the difference between that and the original catalog price. I thought it was fair and so did the buyer. After all, I avoided ebay fees, and the buyer didn't have to hassle with the bidding process and uncertainty of the final cost.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Mad Swapper

Unless it is a really sought after set I would price them much lower than the original price you paid. The buy sell boards are so congested with sellers that I think you need to be competative in order to sell them. JMO
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

It does help to know your market, <smile>. Watch the BST forums for a few days to get an idea of what things are going for. You'll probably see a lot of sets that are very "over represented," lol, shall we say, in the for sale part. Those, obviously I'd price low. If you don't see yours much, start a bit below original price. I would check ebay, though, to see what's "hot." I don't think it's unreasonable to get a fair price, the going price, for a stamp set that's hard to find.

You know you can always lower prices if the sets don't move.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

I say hold them for a year if possible - when they first retire they go cheaply but as time goes by the price returns to retail. If you hold them longer, they become ''rare'' and go for more than retail. And yes, I check *bay pricing to help me decide what I can actually get for them.
SCS Fan Club Member #68691
http://gaylestamps.stampinup.net
Old 12-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Depending on the condition of the stamp sets, I have always offered my sets at around the price they sold for in the catalog - but not including the shipping and the tax. If the set was $27.95 - I would sell it for $25. If it was $12.95, I would sell it for $10. I try to round it to the nearest $5 and again, depending on the condition, would charge that amount. If the set was pretty inked up on the blocks,etc. I would charge less money - perhaps $7.50 for the $12.95 set.

I have not had a problem selling my stamp sets this way at all. I usually hold a customer appreciation event right after the sets retire and offer my sets for sale as well as making a project. People leave with bags FULL of retired product. I usually also offer them for sale right around this time of year again and people shop for them then as well.

If you have had certain sets for awhile or if they are not that popular, then I would reduce the price some more.

Good luck,

Lynn
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Embossing Fanatic

I'm fairly new to this website and have made several purchases/trades from SCS members. IMHO if you want top dollar take your chances on ebay - if you really want to sell what you have (and give other members a chance to pick up something they have been wanting) then list what you have at a reasonable price - some members include shipping, others have the buyer pay for their choice of shipping.

As a buyer I appreciate the members that list what they want to sell at reasonable prices and I thank all of you for that! It is part of what I like about this website.

Not sure if this is helpful but just wanted to post my opinion about the topic as a buyer.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Another buyer opinion - E-bay doesn't always equal top dollar. I have a couple of sets bought just recently from there that I got for at least $5 less than I had remembered them going for here. I prefer buying them here, though, when possible - it's worth it to me to know exactly what I'm paying and knowing right away that I have the set or not.

The only time I buy on E-bay is if it's a set that I haven't seen here, or the last couple of sets were auctions that were ending within minutes where I liked the set and felt that the price was really low for it.

I also have a "thing" on the b/s/t forum here, though - I am much more likely to pay more for a set offered by someone with a high post count or whose name I recognize from the forums. If there are two identical sets posted and one is less money but the seller has a post count under 50 and the other sellers is maybe $5 more but I recognize the poster's name , I offer on the higher-priced set.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Sometimes it is hard to part with a set knowing what you paid for it. However, I feel most of my sets are more than "gently" used and I can sell them cheaper to move them (so I can buy more). If it is a set that I haven't even cut/mounted, I ask more for them, closer to retail. I personally like to buy one at full price and all others at half of retail - oops just did that on sets that I wanted right here at SCS...
Sally
Old 12-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarabizzView Post
Hi Sarabizz: From me, mine, myself's, buyer's perspective who has only bought via SCS, I appreciate the following. From getting me to open the thread to the final purchase:

1. DON'T PRINT THE TITLE ALL IN CAPS. Yelling at me makes me not want to buy your stamps. Just a catchy title works for me!

2. Alphabetize the stamp sets. By doing this, it shows me you are organized and less likely to mess up my order. I seek these sellers out versus someone who doesn't take the time to do this.

3. Separate any wheels/paper/accessories from the stamp sets. Your preparation and organization makes me feel like you aren't going to mess up my order.

4. No goofy pricing like this: xxxxxxxxxx $19.50/$22.25/$27.00==I just want to know the price you want.

5. Nice round numbers are attractive to me. Then I have no problem adding the $4.60 priority mail shipping to it to calculate what my actual cost will be. Quickly try adding $13.75 to $4.60 and you will get my point. (no math whiz here lol)

6. As one other poster wrote, research your sets for a few days. Perhaps go $1 or $2 less than the lowest one you found. I (the buyer) have researched my potential sets and know how much is a good deal and when it's not such a good deal. The extra $1 or $2 I save makes a difference to this girl.

7. I appreciate being able to pay with Pay Pal via my credit card. Am willing to pay fees for that convenience if necessary. (This is probably where the $2 I saved in #6 comes in--ha!)

Wish you the all the best in your sales journey!