Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #41
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by its_kristyView Post
Call me crazy but shouldn't you be criticizing your employer for not giving you fair wages, rather than the PO?

You couldn't even pay me $0.42 to walk a block to deliver a letter to someone. To have the USPS deliver a letter cross country for that price seems like a bargain to me.
OK, I all acknowledge that the post office does a terrific job taking a letter cross country for $.42. Yes, this is the argument I always get when I complain that the cost goes up and up and up (etc....).....

but as for my employer, there is only so much you can do. believe me, I've tried. I've tried and tried, I've done more, I've taken classes (at my expense), I've gotten and additional degree (at my expense)...I've tried to the point that I've now changed jobs and the current employer has a same philosophy... my point is not just personal... it's for everyone... for everyone that says I should be grateful because they get no raise at all... the big point, the big picture, is:

why is it ok for employers to keep a salary stagnant (or creeping, at best) when all around you increases either with the inflation rate, or by leaps and bounds?

Obviously, this is not only my problem, but a problem others face, too. Perhaps we should all just "criticize our employers for not giving us fair wages". (I'm sure that will really get us very far... maybe out the door!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #42
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
My husband is out carrying mail right now, in what feels like below zero weather, in a winter storm warning--
... and I feel for him, I really do... cause your family will see none of that penny increase... that's part of what irritates me, too.

OK, I'm done talking about this for fear I stray too much from my original intent.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #43
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkubView Post
- the wonderful benefits of being a federal employee.

They should pay our military so well
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkubView Post
My Father says that the PO employee's pay is based on the inflation rate so if there pay goes up they have to charge us more to pay them. - the wonderful benefits of being a federal employee.
Kurtis, I just asked my husband (who is sitting behind me at his computer) about this, as he is a former postal employee. He said the employees no longer get a COLA (cost of living allowance) raise. Their pay increases are through contract negotiations which occur every few years.

This increase might be due to higher fuel expenses, although we have no way of knowing that for sure.

Also worth noting, the USPS does not set the postal rates. Rates are set by the Postal Regulatory Commission which is composed of five Commissioners, who are presidentially appointed and Senate confirmed, one of whom is designated by the President to serve as Chair. None of the Commission are USPS employees.

This link will take you to a website that shows the history of the first class postage rates since 1885. Kind of neat to see. Sometimes we forget how long a rate is in place before it is increased.
http://www.prc.gov/main.asp?Left=abo...Right=home.asp
Old 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmstadtdollView Post
I am surprised that they needed another increase so soon. Maybe it wouldn't be so annoying if they ever put out pretty stamps - they don't seem to do that anymore.
Sue, here is a link to the web page that shows all the $.41 stamps available right now.
http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tegoryId=18401

The unfortunate thing is unless we spend a lot of time in the post office, we don't know what is available. Hope you find some fun stamps you like.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #46
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
My husband is out carrying mail right now, in what feels like below zero weather, in a winter storm warning--an extra penny is nothing. Especially considering how much I am willing to pay for one stamp set. With everyone (including us) paying bills on-line, email, etc., the only way the post office can keep running is to charge more for postage. Also, look how numb we all become to ever-rising gas prices, it would cost me that much in gas to drive a card 5 miles. I'm just saying.
Not only gas, but I can't believe it when milk is close to $4.00 a gallon and eggs are over $2.00 a dozen. And those increases were just within the past few months. There is just my husband and I at home now, so I can't imagine having to buy milk, bread and eggs for a large family with growing children.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #47
Matboard Maniac

OMG - i JUST bought a whole ROLL of stamps yesterday! ARGH!!!! I better send out a bunch of RAK's and use em up eh?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #48
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
Too bad my husband can't charge more per unruly child. He's a teacher. We'd be filthy rich! As it is, he doesn't get pay increases anymore. He's reached the "top" of the scale and they don't give COLA raises to teachers in his school district here in California. Boo! Maybe I should get a job at the post office. Though I doubt they have part-time positions...
Ha! Ha! That would be great! I quit teaching last year but I was very frustrated by the fact that I had taught 11 years and got a pay raise - if you could call it that - every year (you should read that with a proud tone in your voice b/c that's how the admin always said it) and yet I only made $2000 more than a brand new teacher!!! Crazy!!
I'm sure your hubby would come out ahead if they paid him hourly too!!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #49
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post
Kurtis, I just asked my husband (who is sitting behind me at his computer) about this, as he is a former postal employee. He said the employees no longer get a COLA (cost of living allowance) raise. Their pay increases are through contract negotiations which occur every few years.

Thanks for clearing that up! Now I can tell my father.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #50
Pearl-ExPert

I was just complaining about the post office this morning. We live in one community, our physical address is another, our phone is another, our mailing address is another, etc., blah, blah. I actually don't have a problem with the postal workers. They have always been extremely pleasant, polite and helpful all the years I've been using them. I just hate that we had a post office box and couldn't get into it unless it was Mon-Friday between 9 & 6, or Saturday AM before noon. We changed to a small post office closer to our home where the cost was half as much for the same size box. Then in January they doubled the cost with no extra anything. We get charged 42 cents to mail a card someone will probably love to receive, & some dumb company can mail me thirty offers for credit cards at a cost of pennies. Aaack!!!! I like the workers, not the high ups. I think they take every kid that doesn't graduate from school, put em in a suit & make em the heads of the postal department. That's the only explanation. I guess it's the same as it's been for awhile. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #51
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancystampsView Post
I wouldn't complain about an extra penny if they could be more consistent in their policies about what does and does not require extra postage....seems like that varies between post offices and even postal workers. Their present system is confusing for everyone.
Wow I could really get on my "Soap Box" for this one... I absolutely agree with the comment above. Even the postal workers were completely confused with the last changes!! I understand that everyone needs to receive an increase in pay (even postal workers). However, the street on which I live (in a town with a population exceeding 300,000) does not have a permanent postman. This means that my neighbors and I have a different postal worker each day. Not only that, but a different person for letters and a separate (always different person) for packages. I NEVER leave mail for pick up at my house. If the delivery person is not carrying mail for me they do not check my box for pick up. That could get a person in trouble fast, huh?? So, when my credit union offered online bill pay services I signed up! I could go on and on with personal examples but I suppose this is enough venting.

Bottom line.... will I stop sending my beautiful handmade creations just because of the extra penny? Probably not! However, I agree with another comment that the extra charge when using brads, ribbons, etc. gets really aggrevating. A postal worker even had the nerve to tell me one day to stop making the cards. Honestly! I went in to ask for the nickel stamps to add to my cards and that was the response I got. Argh!

One final word. My husband is contracted to work the "excess" postal air mail during the holidays. USPS pays for the "Private" companies to fly their mail to AK. Their main contract is with FedEx. Hmmmmmm. That's odd!

My Gallery
and My Blog