Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Gallery Gazer

Default Pre-Cleaning Your Stamps

Today I started organizing my stamps by stamping each of them onto white CS and labeling each with info. to go in a binder. As I was stamping and cleaning I noticed that when my rubber stamps were cleaned and stamped again the images were bolder and clearer. I know this is probably old news to most of you here, but it seems like when the stamp is slightly moist that it picks up the basic black and dye-based inks better. I rarely have trouble with good coverage with pigment inks just the dyes and this seems to help.

Anyone else have the same results....sometimes blotchy solid images with dye inks. Does anyone clean their stamps before stamping into the ink pad?

Morissa
glittergirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

I clean them before I use them for the first time to get all of the manufacturing oil off...does that count?

Good tip to know...especially for the bold stamps. Thanks for sharing!
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Old 09-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi, Morissa-

I have done the same thing you are doing with a print of all of my stamps in a binder. I don't clean the stamps until after I make the initial stamp in the binder but I do find that after that the stamp does seem to hold the inks better. I guess it has to do with any residue from the manufacturer.

Good luck with your organizing. I love my binder!

Darla
Old 09-18-2004, 01:07 PM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I love your idea to do a binder!!! Now I have a new project! I LOVE TO BE ORGANIZED!!! Thanks for the great tip on the cleaning too!
Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

First of all, it hurts me that you ladies are so organized. Whatever happened to good ol' throw it on a shelf and look for it later? Those were the days...didn't mean to steal your thread...I've always been told to rub the rubber on your jeans. I always get little fiber filaments on them, so I don't know that this is such a good plan...I'm gonna try yours.
Catie
Just sayin'
atie 2005

ND rules!

Old 09-20-2004, 05:34 AM   #6
Cardstock Collector

Another thing that helps with the bold or solid images that don't ink well is to stamp in Versamark first, then lightly clean your stamp (not too much cleaning, you want to have some Versamark residue), then ink and stamp as usual in the color of your choice. Seems to really pick up the ink better with a little Versamark.
I also use a upside down (foam side up) mouse pad under my scratch paper if it is a really large background stamp or if it is a large solid, like the shape stamps. That seems to help get an even image, especially on the background stamps.
Maybe I should try a combination of the mouse pad with butt-stamping... I did just buy Just Jeans only because of the recommendations here and Lana's wonderful, inspirational work...
Anyway, I hope that helps!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:29 AM   #7
Matboard Maniac

I took a class at one of the local stamping stores and one of the things she taught in the class was to always 'break in' your stamps before you start using them. The way they are manufactured they have a coating on them when they are brand new.

The instructor suggested a couple of things to break them in. Get a piece of scrap paper and ink the stamp and just keep inking and stamping until the image gets bold and clear. Different stamps seem to take longer to break in. The other thing you can do is rub them gently on something like bluejean fabric to start breaking down that coating. I've seen something a couple of times that versamark seems to help break them in. I've also been told that pigment ink will help break them in faster. If any of this is not accurate, please correct me.
I do know that the more you use a stamp, the better the image becomes.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:04 AM   #8
Matboard Maniac

I do the binder also with all my stamp sets. I also put card ideas that I get from Stampers Showcase, magazines, or extra samples on the facing page. (Like a 2 page spread)

I am glad to hear about your discovery, it makes sense. I always twist my bold image stamps slightly and it also helps to make a solid image.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 AM   #9
Gallery Gazer

I have heard the one about the blue jeans. The Stampin' Mist and pad have been a great way to pre-clean my stamps even if I have had them for awhile. It just seems to pick up more ink.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

I'll keep watching for more!

Morissa
glittergirl
Old 09-20-2004, 08:49 AM   #10
Stampin' Fool

I always clean mine before I use them the first time.

As for being organized...well, lets just say that at least all my stamps are in one corner and so most of my stamping/crafting/quilting stuff. Good enough for me.
I tried to organize the other day. Spent all afternoon working on it. Was very proud of myself. Now I can't find my brayer!
Member #3785
Old 09-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #11
Die Cut Diva

I too, find that especially on the smooth, solid area stamps, my dye inks can be uneven and splotchy. To enable better inking, I rub the stamp surface gently with a soft, clean white eraser (not pink, they are too coarse.) This is similar to rubbing on jeans, but without the fibers.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #12
Kookie Creator

Default organizing stamps

I organize mine simply by scanning the label sheet and then printing that out. Easy, fast and no clean up.