Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
Cardstock Collector

Default Postage for handmade cards?

This is the first Christmas for which I made all my cards. I was an accumulator of supplies until meeting my stamping buddy last spring, and have only just now gotten around to actually mailing any of these precious things.
So I decided to delegate the duty of going to the post office to DH, and included a list of questions. How much extra for square cards? Could I have these things hand cancelled, and is regular postage good enough? You know - those sorts of newbie questions. So imagine my shock when he calls and tells me that most of the cards cost $1.17 to mail! I'm glad my list is less than 30 people this year! Does this sound right? Did I ask too many questions? Should I have just stuck a regular stamp on and crossed my fingers? Even the plain, single piece of cardstock with the simple taffeta ribbon tied around it was an extra 20 cents. I feel scammed somehow. I don't think they were overly layered - the thickest had dimentionals with a SU! filigree brad.
Just looking for some insight on how the more experienced card makers mail their cards, and what it should cost.
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

If the thickness is not uniform, you'll be asked to pay package rate -- which was the $1.17 price that DH quoted you.

There are also additional charges for cards that are thicker than 1/4" (won't fit through the machinery), or do not bend easily (they'll get caught in the sorting rollers, like a paper jam in your printer). Square cards are subject to the nonmachinable surcharge because the equipment is set for rectangular pieces. If the envelope is square, the machine can't use the dimensions to figure out where to look for scanning the address.

Bumps like those caused by your ribbon knots will also trigger the surcharge, because they can snag in the sorter.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

my cards this year were .62cents each
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Stampin' Fool

I've never sent square cards before but I always have more than one layer and always have ribbon on them. I just stick my stamps on and put them in the mail box, never had any that didn't get to where they were going.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I paid $.62 each for all my cards with ribbons and hand cancelled them all myself at the PO counter LOL~
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I mailed a 5 x 7 card with a large brad and ribbon for $.59. I think when you start asking questions, the price goes up. I did put a piece of cardstock over the brad but it still stuck out a little. The man at the post office did weigh it
and saw it so who knows?
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
I mailed a 5 x 7 card with a large brad and ribbon for $.59. I think when you start asking questions, the price goes up. I did put a piece of cardstock over the brad but it still stuck out a little. The man at the post office did weigh it
and saw it so who knows?
The rules are applied so inconsistently from office to office and even from clerk to clerk within the same office. If asking questions makes the price go up, I think it's only because you reminded a novice clerk of what they should have already known to do!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

There have been several threads lately about this issue...the general consensus is that you're better off not asking! I was told that mine would cost $1.87 each to mail....I gave them to my rural carrier the next day with a
$.42 stamp on each and they all got delivered just fine!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #9
KLF
Matboard Maniac

Many of us have learned that some post offices have clerks who are kinder/more flexible than others. If I have a lot of cards to mail, it's worth it to me to drive to the small p.o. where I used to live (about 12 miles away) just to avoid a ton of extra charges. I always do that at Christmas--otherwise I'd end up paying extra for practically all my cards. I do conscientiously ask them to check my cards that may be a bit thick, but they rarely tell me that extra postage is needed. I only paid extra for one card this year--a square one-- and I had some cards with dimensionals, brads, and small ribbon knots. My local p.o. would have charged me more for each one, I can guarantee.
Before next Christmas comes around, check out some other nearby post offices to see if you can save!
Karen
Old 12-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Cardstock Collector

Thank-you everyone for your replies and suggestions. I had heard before that they would go through just fine, but wanted to be safe rather than sorry since Christmas is only a few days away. I have another batch going tomorrow, and we'll see if there is any difference. At least I understand the process now.
Thanks again,
Michelle
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the above, it's like comparison shopping. Sad but true! Some postal workers are just more flexible then others. My advise, shop around!

To the world you may just be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #12
Cardstock Collector

Default Update

I sent DH back to the post office today with another stack of cards, five of which are going overseas. He put single stamps on everything else. He handed them to the clerk and asked him to post the overseas cards and mail the rest. He looked at all of them, posted the overseas ones and sent DH on his way. Normal postage for all my domestic cards. Same post office, different guy, totally different experience!

Thanks again for all the replies.
Michelle
Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #13
Watercolor Wizard

It's funny because a relative sent out handmade cards to us and my DH family with a few layers, no ribbons or dimensionals. She put on a regular stamp plus an extra 10 cents on both. We live in the same town and DH family now owes 10 cents and ours got through just fine...same card. Your card might make it through but the other party probably isn't going to tell you about it...
Old 12-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #14
Crimping Master

I've mailed mine using only the standard stamp (currently .42) from the central post office in Indianapolis and as far as I know, none have been returned for extra postage.

I learned here on SCS to use a rectangle envelope for square cards and to use an "insert" to take up the extra space so it doesn't scroll back and forth in the envelope.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #15
Insane Embellisher

I just put a .42 stamp on mine and did not take them to the post office. I just put them in the mail box. I did place a piece of card stock over them, because of brads and ribbon. So far none have been sent back.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:49 AM   #16
Insane Embellisher

Just an FYI, I received a card in the mail stamped with postage due that I had to pay my mail carrier for. So even though your cards are not being returned to you, the person who receives them may have to pay for the extra postage.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #17
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Just an FYI, I received a card in the mail stamped with postage due that I had to pay my mail carrier for. So even though your cards are not being returned to you, the person who receives them may have to pay for the extra postage.
Precisely why I took mine in, had them evaluated and paid the extra $.20.

I would be MORTIFIED if my Christmas cards arrived postage due.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

I always try to make my ribbon tie lay flatter and then I only put a stamp on it and I have never been charged more.
Brads or eyelets I will put anotehr piece of cardstock over it.