Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #41
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapNStampinMamaView Post
I am sure if you posted here for one There would be ATLEAST 1 demo from the US that is willing to help you! Never hurts to try...........

SU! Is launched in other countries aside from USA and Canada. Can you imaging what the UK pays for their stuff!!! I am sure I can. But you dont really hear them raving so much. KWIM.
Its a Business they are gonna make money where they can. And I am sure they think well if these ppl dont order oh well someone else will. KWIM
Any American demo is prohibited from selling any SU product outside of their territory. Whether they purchase and ship it for "themselves" and then ship it to Canada, it is still illegal and they are in danger of losing their demonstrator status. Not to mention the fact that this activity hurts all Canadian demonstrators ...

The best course of action is to write Stampin' Up. I know you may not feel like you will receive a correct answer, but the more people that complain, the more our voices will be heard. I believe they are already feeling it due to a lack of sales and that may well continue if there are no changes.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #42
CBC Lady Violet

josh's mommy - no, its not illegal as a Canadian customer to buy US SU! products, however, I think there is something in the demo agreement which "forbids" demos from selling to customers in another country. Not 100% positive on the wording/rule exactly though.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #43
Mad Swapper

Oh well in that case......... that's different,

but that is still wrong to have such a huge difference in price between the 2 countries

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Stamp-a-lotView Post
Reality Check:

Stampin' Write Markers
$132.95 US

OR

$187.95 CDN

Really does it cost that much more to operate in Canada? This is one of the sticker prices that still shocks me. I just ordered my markers for the CDN price and it is so upsetting.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #44

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
josh's mommy - no, its not illegal as a Canadian customer to buy US SU! products, however, I think there is something in the demo agreement which "forbids" demos from selling to customers in another country. Not 100% positive on the wording/rule exactly though.
the wording is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demo Manual
International Sales Policy
Stampin’ Up! catalogue merchandise may be sold through Stampin’ Up! Canada, ULC, only within Canada and its territories.
As a demonstrator for Stampin’ Up! Canada, ULC, you are not authorized to sell in the United States, Australia, or any other country, regardless of whether Stampin’ Up! operates there.
There is a procedure that happens following any broken policy and a listing of consequences.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #45
Insane Embellisher

Well they just announced FREE SHIPPING on Canadian orders over $100 in the month of November- so maybe those letters did help???
Old 11-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
Any American demo is prohibited from selling any SU product outside of their territory. Whether they purchase and ship it for "themselves" and then ship it to Canada, it is still illegal and they are in danger of losing their demonstrator status. Not to mention the fact that this activity hurts all Canadian demonstrators ...

The best course of action is to write Stampin' Up. I know you may not feel like you will receive a correct answer, but the more people that complain, the more our voices will be heard. I believe they are already feeling it due to a lack of sales and that may well continue if there are no changes.
No, it isn't illegal.

If someone wants something from the US catty, contact a friend in the US, have them order it and then have them ship it to you.

Once Canadian demos start complaining about the business they are losing, maybe SU will start taking the complaints seriously.

There is absolutely no reason why there should be such a large descrepancy between Canadian and US prices.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #47

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30View Post
No, it isn't illegal.

If someone wants something from the US catty, contact a friend in the US, have them order it and then have them ship it to you.

Once Canadian demos start complaining about the business they are losing, maybe SU will start taking the complaints seriously.

There is absolutely no reason why there should be such a large descrepancy between Canadian and US prices.

Yes, it is against Stampin' Up policy. And, Canadian demonstrators have been talking with Stampin' Up about these large price discrepancies due to the Canadian exchange rate. There has been an annoucnement that something will be done, but what that is exactly has not been made known to us. Below is the International Sales Policy Reminder. I encourage you to read it to understand exactly what demonstrators are able to do oustide of their territory, which is nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' Up!
International Sales Policy Reminder
November 8, 2007

We'd like to remind you about our International Sales Policy, which specifically defines the geographical areas in which demonstrators are authorized to sell Stampin' Up! products. Demonstrators may only sell products in the country in which they live; sales outside of those areas are not permitted.

This policy is of particular importance right now regarding Canada, because of recent changes in the exchange rate. International exchange rates and costs of doing business in Canada sometimes make it beneficial for Canadian customers to purchase from US demonstrators. Obviously, this places extreme hardship on Canadian demonstratorships. US demonstrators cannot serve Canadian customers. This is against Stampin' Up! policy. It is unethical to try to skirt the policy by shipping to a US address with the intention that the product will be picked up by the Canadian customer at that address (and thus saying, "It wasn't shipped to Canada.") If a Canadian customer contacts a US demonstrator, that demonstrator would be doing the right thing by referring the customer to a Canadian demonstrator.

Observance of this policy on the part of all our demonstrators is crucial, whether across mutual borders or across oceans.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
Yes, it is against Stampin' Up policy. And, Canadian demonstrators have been talking with Stampin' Up about these large price discrepancies due to the Canadian exchange rate. There has been an annoucnement that something will be done, but what that is exactly has not been made known to us. Below is the International Sales Policy Reminder. I encourage you to read it to understand exactly what demonstrators are able to do oustide of their territory, which is nothing.
Yes, it may be against SU policy ~ it is not against the law (ie illegal).
Old 11-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

I see the problem as this: The catalog is planned months before it is published and the prices are set. Exchange rates cannot be predicted. So, what may have been reasonable a year ago, becomes unreasonable when the US dollar declines in value.

How difficult/restrictive would it be to print up a Canadian catalog with US dollar amounts and the value would then be tied to the fluctuation of the exchange rate. Say SU set an "equivalent monthly exchange rate", based on the average exchange rate at the time, on their demo web site every month. The Canadian demos would then be able to tell their customers what the cost in Canadian dollars would be. Too complicated? It seems that most Canadians speaking here are very savvy regarding the exchange rates. Now, SU might say that would not allow for the extra business taxes. Well, add that percentage on the order form (someone said around 18%?) in the same way "shipping and handling" is added.

In this day and age of calculators and computers, this is not difficult for most demos or customers. The world is changing from the old business style of only being able to select products locally. Buying from the internet is having a strong influence on consumer's knowledge, and competition in the marketplace. Comparison shopping used to mean going to stores within driving distance, now we can go much further to find what we want at the price we want to pay.

Kathy

Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #50
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
I Well, add that percentage on the order form (someone said around 18%?) in the same way "shipping and handling" is added.
Kathy
Even though I know what you are saying, if I saw another percentage added onto my total bill ... lets say 18% ... I would NOT buy the stamp set either ... 10% for shipping, 13% taxes (where I live) and then another fee of 18% for the difference between US and Canada, well, I just wouldnt do it. Yes, if I cant see that, I might pay it, but if you set it out for me like that, I certainly would not be happy. Do you know what I mean? I think it would turn people off totally. Just my opinion.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:40 PM   #51
Cardstock Collector

Canadian prices and SU

I agree!!!!!!!!no more stampin up stuff for me till the prices reflect our canadian dollar. I happen to be a stamp club member until Jan. but I will only spend the necessary $25. and then NO MORE!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by *SeikasHaven*View Post
I have no intention of ordering anymore Canadian SU! stuff while the dollar is so high. It's just ridiculous. I can get my gf in the states to order it and ship it to me and it ends up MUCH cheaper.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #52
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up SU and canadian pricing

I WROTE TO SU AND i phoned su AND i CALLED MY dEM0
sAME ANSWER EVERYTIME.......NOTHING WILL BE DONE TILL JANUARY AND EVEN THEN THEY WERE VAGUE ABOUT THAT. pERSONALLY, i THINK WE SHOULD AVOID THEM ALL TOGETHER . mAYBE CHRISTMAS WON'T BE SUCH A MONEY MAKER FOR THEM!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 AM   #53
Kookie Creator

i honestly think that the 2 catty decision was made with the money market in mind. being that they are going into different countries. you also have to remember when this inflated catalog was made. way before the US dollar took a nose dive. can you imagine going a whole year the huge price tags. so at least now the can predict a little better and take things into account on new catty and new pricing. i live just over the border from canada now i know why my ladies from there buy huge amounts when they come down.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #54
Insane Embellisher

Default Share other suppliers?

Hi folks - is anyone interested in sharing the addys of the other suppliers who give better exhange rates?

I'm new to SU and have already spent over $500 Canadian before I realized the difference in price. I have a daughter in Ohio who could buy for me and send them truly as a present, and I'm definitely considering that.

This is a great site, and I'm learning so much. Thanks to all!

Carol