Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #41
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, Congrats on the house!

When we move, the table/desk I want (probably build) will be *counter* height with a very comfy barstool with back on it....swivel as well LOL

I very often like to stand, so if you like to as well, having a counter height is great! You can sit OR stand without backache.

It takes time to figure out your aesthetic style

Do you want built in shelving where everything *shows* or cabinets where everything is hidden?

I LOVE having everything out! LOL It's my craftroom and I want instant gratification when searching for creativity. Often just seeing something sparks an idea. I use the clear acrylic bins for storage....easy to take off shelf to my desk

LIGHTING! LOL, sorry, not shouting....just emphasizing. Be sure to not skimp on the lighting....other things can be easily changed, but not that.

Have a wonderful time and take lots of notes LOL. Every time you think of something or see an idea write it down (or use the memo feature on your phone like I do lol) right away

Sherri
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #42
Stampin' Fool

I have three stamp rooms! One is here at home; one is in a second home; and the third is being planned for a new house under construction. One arrangement I am repeating in all three is to have my desk and chair away from the wall toward the middle of the floor and have lots of supplies stored along the wall behind me. It's a big time and energy saver to be able to reach behind for supply items. My current (glass top) table is stacked on three sides with the most used supplies, but I am changing that in the new home to be this: LINNMON / ALEX Table - white - IKEA
The ample drawers will help clear the desk of so many lazy susans and desktop shelves; so I can have lots of work room surface for a change.
Brenda71 likes this post.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
I have three stamp rooms! One is here at home; one is in a second home; and the third is being planned for a new house under construction. One arrangement I am repeating in all three is to have my desk and chair away from the wall toward the middle of the floor and have lots of supplies stored along the wall behind me. It's a big time and energy saver to be able to reach behind for supply items. My current (glass top) table is stacked on three sides with the most used supplies, but I am changing that in the new home to be this: LINNMON / ALEX Table - white - IKEA
The ample drawers will help clear the desk of so many lazy susans and desktop shelves; so I can have lots of work room surface for a change.
The LINNMON/ALEX is what I have also, I love it. My desktop is the darker brown/blackish color, though, and the drawer units are white.

I also have a taller surface to work on, a project table from pottery barn:Bedford Project Table Set | Pottery Barn
That unit is white. I don't have stools the right height for it, but we use it for standing-up tasks anyway. I know there are tons of cheaper ways to get this set up -- it's really handy with the cubbies on each end.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Gypsy, that there's an advantage to having the things you want to use be behind you and a good swivel chair that puts it all in easy reach. There's something much less distracting when it's not in front of you, but still in easy reach.

And the lighting! (LIGHTING?!?! lol!) yes! No matter where you are and what the layout, if the lighting isn't good, your not going to have a good time.

As another stamper who is up and down, standing and sitting, I agree, if you can plan spaces for both, it's a lovely thing. I'm fortunate to have both a desk and a counter top height work surface. I find I stand for much of what I do, but sit to color or fussy cut.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #45
Kookie Creator

I think the best part about creating a crafty space is making it your own. (And I also think that's why it's so much fun to look at other people's crafty places - each one is so unique!)

Mine is rather a hodge-podge of stuff - as all the best craft rooms are. I totally agree with others about the height - if there is any way to have both a counter-height work space, and a desk-height work space, it makes it ideal. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with counter-height, because I find I stand more than I sit, and because I could always move to a kitchen table or something, if I want to sit for a while.

When we moved to Florida, we down-sized quite a bit. My craft space is now in a den, which had a built-in murphy bed, with shelves and a built-in desk, which fills up one whole wall. I use the desk for coloring and other "easier to do sitting" techniques. Hubby got rid of the bed, and put up shelves inside the murphy bed cabinet.

For counter-height stuff, I have an old Martha Stewart kitchen island. I don't think they sell this anymore - I got it on sale at K-Mart years ago. But any cheap kitchen island makes an awesome work space.

As for storage... some of it hubby built... some of it is "re-purposed". I love finding new uses for old things! My inks are in a Pepsi crate, some of my dies are in pockets, in small crates designed for cassettes or CD's. And I have an old "entertainment system" that I love. It has shelves designed for old vinyl records, which means they are perfect for holding 12x12 scrapbooks.

As for size... while I would love one of those gorgeous, gimongous art studios, there is also something said for being in a small room. Everything pretty much HAS to be at my fingertips, LOL.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #46
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
So nice! And what's neat about Linnmon tabletops is they come in lots of different lengths, and legs are sold separately. I have a 47 with a 39 in an L, and an Alex to the right. The 39" cost $8.00.

(The Alex is not underneath since I already had a 39" Linnmon and wanted the additional Alex top surface.)

Yesterday we got a 39" with expandable Olav legs to make a 35" height cutting station. I was going to get another Alex to scoot under it, but decided to put my recycling box and wheeled 12" paper cart underneath, since I don't grab it much.

Now the space looks more open even though there's an extra table.

I have a plastic fabrication company cut tops to protect table and desk surfaces. I think they're 1/4" thick, and are warmer and quieter than glass.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #47
Stampin' Fool

Same here. I had bought a small Ikea table via Craigslist a few months back and was really pleased to see that the measurements make it ideal to add it to my new Linnmon/Alex desk and turn it into an L-shaped desk.

BTW, Ikea stuff can be ordered online, but I hate to think of the shipping charges. I think it can be done through Amazon also - but pricey. I'd rather make the 100 mile drive.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:02 PM   #48
Glitter Guru

Gee, that's a hike. But it can be worth it, right? We're 28 and 34 miles from Ikeas and traffic makes it seem longer. I think I'll adjust my thinking that it's a long ride.

I have ordered a few small items on Amazon, like plastic containers that hang on a Raskog cart. While they were more expensive, the gas, time spent on the hike through the store and standing in line evened it out. Ikea isn't a grab-n-go kind of place.
Brenda71 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #49
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Gee, that's a hike. But it can be worth it, right? We're 28 and 34 miles from Ikeas and traffic makes it seem longer. I think I'll adjust my thinking that it's a long ride.

I have ordered a few small items on Amazon, like plastic containers that hang on a Raskog cart. While they were more expensive, the gas, time spent on the hike through the store and standing in line evened it out. Ikea isn't a grab-n-go kind of place.
O.k., now I have to ask, WHAT containers did you order that hang on the Raskog cart? LOL Can you give us a link? I JUST ordered a Rascog cart for my craft room for Christmas!
Old 12-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #50
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
O.k., now I have to ask, WHAT containers did you order that hang on the Raskog cart? LOL Can you give us a link? I JUST ordered a Rascog cart for my craft room for Christmas!
LOL! They're Bygels. I don't see them on the Ikea website any more, though they don't list everything. They used to come in several colors; I like and bought white on Amazon. They hang onto the outside edges of the Raskog but aren't made for it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...te%2C+Set+of+3

Beth
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #51
Glitter Guru

You can see them in the second, third and fourth photos under the Rviews section on this Amazon listing.

https://www.amazon.com/Ikea-102-710-.../dp/B00ROSVO4M
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

Thanks again everyone. All rooms are being painted and of course my scrap room is last lol. I choose Wasabi green. We are putting wood flooring down in my scrap room and two bedrooms. I have any idea of what I am going to desk wise but that could change. Hope to move in the weekend before Christmas. I plan on having two long desks. One counter height for standing and one for sitting. If there is room by the window I may add a small desk as well. Shelves above my desk and below (using my shelves I have for the legs of my desk. In the closet removable shelving and possible rolling drawers. The crawlspace is above so everything needs to be easily removed from the closet. I am beyond excited!
jukie, BashfulStamper and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 AM   #53
Pearl-ExPert

My talented hubby custom built all the components of my craft room, but since we are just talking work table I've attached pictures of what I requested he make for me. I wanted drawers underneath for paper (so much sun in my room open shelves would have been a big fading problem, and wanted things that are always used stored close by, but not on the table top, so you can see applicators, adhesives and palettes/various work surfaces are in the other drawers. If he wasn't so handy, I would have gone with a door or large table top and put filing cabinets for my supplies on either side to hold it up. Now if you want to talk stamp storage, ink/markers/paint storage or cutting area...
Attached Thumbnails
work-table-1.jpg   work-table-2.jpg  
TeeGeeDee, jeaniebean55, Brenda71 and 3 others like this post.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:19 AM   #54
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
My talented hubby custom built all the components of my craft room, but since we are just talking work table I've attached pictures of what I requested he make for me. I wanted drawers underneath for paper (so much sun in my room open shelves would have been a big fading problem, and wanted things that are always used stored close by, but not on the table top, so you can see applicators, adhesives and palettes/various work surfaces are in the other drawers. If he wasn't so handy, I would have gone with a door or large table top and put filing cabinets for my supplies on either side to hold it up. Now if you want to talk stamp storage, ink/markers/paint storage or cutting area...
LOVE your desk/storage! It makes me miss my dad - he was a cabinetmaker (among other things) and made a lot of furniture for our home. This looks like something he would have made. Lost him to Alzheimer's years ago...

Old 12-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #55
Matboard Maniac

love this! your husband did a great job what a wonderful thing he did for you. I would love to see any other pics you want to share.

Quote:

Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sditz1View Post
love this! your husband did a great job what a wonderful thing he did for you. I would love to see any other pics you want to share.
Here are some more pics of my craft room. The ribbon storage was all mine, I'm proud to say, although hubby did drill the holes for the hooks.
Attached Thumbnails
stamp-drawers.jpg   ink-paint-cabinet.jpg   sewing-cutting-station.jpg   storage-shelves.jpg   embellishment-fabric-storage.jpg  

ribbon-storage.jpg  
Brenda71, sditz1 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Here are some more pics of my craft room. The ribbon storage was all mine, I'm proud to say, although hubby did drill the holes for the hooks.
The piece in your first 2 pics is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Old 12-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #58
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, I'll pass those kind words along to my hubby. Actually they are two different pieces. The first have drawers of all the same size to hold two layers of stamps in clam shell boxes. Since I prefer wood mounted stamps exclusively, they were designed that way. I have my stamps divided by theme with separate drawer(s) for each. The second picture has varying sizes of drawers to hold inks, pens, paints and other coloring agents. The top section of 7 drawers are for ink pads that stack 4 deep, but since I have a separate drawer for each color family, I don't have enough to stack them more than 2 or three deep. That section also holds chalks, pencils, crayons, pens, markers (water-based, permanent etc.) each has a drawer). The next section is deeper to hold reinkers, alcohol inks etc. The bottom section holds larger items---spray paints, color washes, mists etc as well as stacks of things like Lumiere paints, embossing pastes/powders, glitter/glitter glue etc. I know I am one lucky stamper and I thank my hubby nearly every day.
Brenda71, sditz1 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

My craft table is a 6 ft folding table that I purchased several years ago from WalMart. My art studio furniture is a hodge podge of things I bought & nothing really matches. I don't like that, but it is functional and I suppose that is the important thing.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
My passion - rescuing senior dogs! The Mr Mo Project
Old 12-13-2016, 04:53 AM   #60
Matboard Maniac

Wow he did an amazing job. I would be thanking my hubby everyday as well. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Quote:

I know I am one lucky stamper and I thank my hubby nearly every day.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

My room is a bedroom with 2 sliding mirrored doors. There were stationary shelves on either side of the closet, but I removed them and put up a Rubbermaid shelf bracket system that has the ability to place shelves in any of the slots, vertically. They had shelves that fit perfectly into this space, so I suppose my closet is the standard size for that to happen.

As far as my room though, I have all Ikea furniture. 99% of it is the Ikea Alex series. I have 2 of the 9 drawer units, 2 of the 5 drawer units, 2 of the File drawer units, & 2 of the 6 drawer cart units. The 6 drawers I have stacked onto each other, and only using the one set of wheels. These drawers are wide and there are 2 different depths. I've been "collecting" the Ikea Alex furniture for over 6 years now, so it's not like it was a major purchase all at once. For the desktops, I have a corner desk (Lintorp I believe?) which houses my computer stuff. I have a 40" wide Ikea desktop, and a stainless steel Ikea countertop (called Sanfrid, but it's discontinued) for my work areas. There is also a smaller desktop--36" wide, I believe, but that's not being used at this time.

I put my room up on Pinterest in its own board which you can see here: https://www.pinterest.com/snapschott...rest-playroom/

I am very happy with my Ikea Alex furniture. I do have some of the "Cube" shelves from Ikea (mine are called Expedit, but the newer version is called Kallax) 2 of the 2x4 cube sets. I like that I can stand them or lay them down. That's probably why I didn't get the largest unit--it's a square shape and can't be changed around.

I've been in this room for about 3 years now. It faces the front yard and the street and I can see when the delivery vans show up to drop off boxes of goodies I ordered!
Brenda71, jeanne3579 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #62
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My Craft Room

My room is made a hodge-podge of furniture I've been given over the years - the desk was from a client who left it behind when she moved out of an office, the book shelf was my neighbors, the white storage cubes were my sisters, and there's a handful of things I've bought from The Container Store. My favorite is the Clip It Up System I have above my desk which holds the ink pads and a few shelves of goodies. They also make the spinners I've got my clear stamps hanging on. However this company no longer exists and I'm so bummed! I've got everything labeled and believe it or not, I know where everything is! But being so organized - it kills the creativity sometimes. I see other peoples room - and I want that! I want piles of things I plan to use - I want things scattered around the desk and for it to feel like I just went shopping whenever I go through my stuff. Instead I've got spreadsheets of how many packs of card-stock I have so when I'm down to just a few of a particular color, I know to order it... I've got more excel documents the list which brand and color of ink pads and their refills so I know which ones i still need to buy, etc. I'm just too rigid and need to loosen up. I love love love my craft space, but I need to make a mess and enjoy the process more!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
img_4332.jpg   img_4328.jpg   img_4329.jpg   img_4330.jpg   img_4334.jpg  

img_4318.jpg   img_4324.jpg   img_4323.jpg   img_4327.jpg  

Last edited by Catherine773; 12-19-2016 at 09:10 AM..
Brenda71, sditz1, jeanne3579 and 2 others like this post.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
My room is made a hodge-podge of furniture I've been given over the years - the desk was from a client who left it behind when she moved out of an office, the book shelf was my neighbors, the white storage cubes were my sisters, and there's a handful of things I've bought from The Container Store. My favorite is the Clip It Up System I have above my desk which holds the ink pads and a few shelves of goodies. They also make the spinners I've got my clear stamps hanging on. However this company no longer exists and I'm so bummed! I've got everything labeled and believe it or not, I know where everything is! But being so organized - it kills the creativity sometimes. I see other peoples room - and I want that! I want piles of things I plan to use - I want things scattered around the desk and for it to feel like I just went shopping whenever I go through my stuff. Instead I've got spreadsheets of how many packs of card-stock I have so when I'm down to just a few of a particular color, I know to order it... I've got more excel documents the list which brand and color of ink pads and their refills so I know which ones i still need to buy, etc. I'm just too rigid and need to loosen up. I love love love my craft space, but I need to make a mess and enjoy the process more!!!!
Catherine, you may have a hodge podge of things, but your organization makes it look so coordinated. I love your craft room, and just looking at it makes me feel creative! I love organization and knowing where everything is so I don't spend time looking stuff or money buying duplicates. I keep lists and records of my supplies, too. That being said, I do have piles of stuff out when I'm actually working. Sometimes my craft room looks like I left the window open during a tornado. Truth be told my piles are really organized stacks. When it is time to clean up after a project (the really important step, by the way) every thing has a place and goes there. I think disaster happens when the mess of one project is not cleaned up before another is begun. That has happened to me when out of necessity two projects were going on at the same time. I thought I would loose my mind!!!
Catherine773, TLady and PikkuLilla like this post.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #64
Polyshrink Goddess

Catherine! Your space looks like a store I went into once! How clean everything looks, my dust bunnies that live in my craft room have names!! LOL!
Catherine773 likes this post.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:22 AM   #65
Matboard Maniac

I love your hodge podge space. thanks so much for sharing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #66
Mad Swapper

I wish I had a space to organize! LOL Your room looks WONDERFUL, Catherine! I have to tuck things away here & there, & up & down the hallway, without a craft space! BE HAPPY in your SPECIAL PLACE, which I think is BEAUTIFUL! & CREATE AWAY!!!! With this SUPER SPACE, I think you need a challenge to get going! Try the Challenges here on SCS & those on Company Blogs- where you can win things! I think you just need a little fire in the belly to get going! Put away the spread sheets & DIVE IN!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #67
Rubber Obsessor

Catherine, your space is amazing because you know where everything is. I'm still 'tweaking' my space...it's an evolving process.

I agree with Jeanne3579 that it's a MUST to clean up after each project. One of my bad habits is not putting things away right away. I'm working with scissors...they stay on the craft desk. I grab tweezers to hold cardstock to heat emboss...do they go back into the holder? NOPE. On the desk. Then when I need it again, it's buried. It does get found, but putting it back where it originally was would be helpful!!
Catherine773, jeanne3579 and PikkuLilla like this post.