Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 10-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Inking Addict

Default Playing around with stamps for a postcard swap

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the blogger iHanna, but she runs a postcard swap 2x a year. Her fall swap is coming up, and I want to use my new Tim Holtz Falling Leaves stamps to make my cards.

So I've been playing around with different materials. I really like bristol because it is so sturdy, and I thought I would just use white bristol and Distress Paints on the stamps. However, this leaves me (no pun intended) without much of a background. I thought I'd gesso the bristol first, then use Distress Stains over it. Well, the gesso sort of sucks the Stains right into it. Not exactly the look I wanted but I could make it work.

Another thought is using a cream-colored cardstock. I'll be cutting the cards down to 4" x 6". Again, it would have to be sturdy to support the stamps done with paints.

And...while looking around on Pinterest, I found some cards with the stamps on a background done with Distress Inks that had been sponged on in two light colors.

And...I'm still thinking about what kind of sentiment I could put on the card. Maybe "sending happy thoughts." I don't have a stamp like that, but I could print something out on my computer and glue it down.

Any advice on the cardstock or background would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 10-07-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Postcards are a fun format! They're a great chance to experiment with things you might not do on a regular card.

I often work on a surface that's suitable for whatever medium I want to use and then glue it to a sturdier piece of cardstock when I'm done to make it firmer and better for mailing.

While those leaves are very detailed, they're actually pretty simple outlines and that makes them quite easy to cut masks for. One idea that would let you use the Bristol and still do something for a background might be to stamp the leaves, mask them and then sponge on inks, stamp with a backgrounder or repeatedly stamp a small stamp as a filler.

Bleach might be something else fun to try out. Ink your piece in fairly strong autumn shades, stamp the leaves in something that doesn't react with bleach and then use bleach to "paint" the leaves (I know Versafine works well but you could try other inks on a test piece if you don't have Versafine). It will lift out the colour but leave the detailed veining and outline from the stamp.

I've just looked at the stuff tagged "postcard" on my blog and found a postcard I made back in 2012 using the Falling Leaves stamp - I basically didn't do anything to the leaves other than stamp them on an inked background but I gave some a drop shadow with a marker to make them stand out a bit. It's here if you're interested in seeing how that worked out. The tags section at the bottom of the post includes "postcard" if you're interested enough to want to look at other sentiment treatments (it looks like I pretty much never use a "regular" sentiment other than maybe "hello"!).

I think you can play with sentiments on a postcard, it doesn't necessarily have to be something you might put on a regular card. You could use something like "autumn" or "falling leaves" on this, for example. Or find a nice quote (one of my favourites for the season is "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower" - Albert Camus) and use your printer rather than relying on the stamps in your stash.

Have fun, maybe you'll even end up with a couple of extras to send to friends!

My blog
ladyinblack1964 likes this post.
Unread 10-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
Crimping Master

Postcards are a lot of fun to make and swap!

I used to host postcard swaps on another site years ago. I used heavy cardstock and so did my participants, we didn't have any trouble with them making it thru the mail. I did caution people about what they used on the postcards though because they will be exposed to the elements and handling by people & machines.

I told swappers to consider using few, if any layers and more water proof products; ie colored pencils, alcohol markers, waterproof inks, etc. Distress products are water reactive so no guarantee how your postcard will look once received at the other end. Coating it may protect your artwork but it needs to still be able to hold onto the stamp & get a postmark without either coming off (no envelope with a return address).

You can pay extra for hand cancelling etc but to me that was a deal breaker. Part of the attraction of postcards for me was they were cheaper to send and the challenge of creating something that would stand up to abuse once mailed out.

oh yeah one other word of advice, expect them to take slightly longer to get to the recipient as they tend to have a few admirers along the route.
Unread 10-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

I have participated in the iHanna swap, among many others, in the past. A site I enjoy perusing for ideas & inspiration is Sunday Postcard Art: https://sundaypostcardart.wordpress.com/
Unread 10-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
Inking Addict

I did think about using Distress Inks with the leaf stamps but, as you said, the ink is water-reactive. So I am thinking of using the Distress Paints with the dabbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin stacy View Post
Postcards are a lot of fun to make and swap!

I used to host postcard swaps on another site years ago. I used heavy cardstock and so did my participants, we didn't have any trouble with them making it thru the mail. I did caution people about what they used on the postcards though because they will be exposed to the elements and handling by people & machines.

I told swappers to consider using few, if any layers and more water proof products; ie colored pencils, alcohol markers, waterproof inks, etc. Distress products are water reactive so no guarantee how your postcard will look once received at the other end. Coating it may protect your artwork but it needs to still be able to hold onto the stamp & get a postmark without either coming off (no envelope with a return address).

You can pay extra for hand cancelling etc but to me that was a deal breaker. Part of the attraction of postcards for me was they were cheaper to send and the challenge of creating something that would stand up to abuse once mailed out.

oh yeah one other word of advice, expect them to take slightly longer to get to the recipient as they tend to have a few admirers along the route.
Unread 10-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I just wanted to chime in for those that love distress inks... You can buy the Distress Micro Glaze: https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Holtz-.../dp/B00X1IRJHA

It makes your surface waterproof, so it won't reactivate with water. It's a product that has the consistency of lipbalm, and you spread it over the distress ink area to make it slick. You need very little of it and that little pot will last you ages.

Just be sure to do it after you've glued any embellishments or layers. The slick surface will make it impossible to adhere anything (yes, I speak from experience...).
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 10-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
Inking Addict

I have the Judi Kins Micro Glaze. Thought I read somewhere that JK stopped making it and Ranger took over. I've used to with stencils to make a resist. And yes, the pot has lasted me forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeCardsea View Post
I just wanted to chime in for those that love distress inks... You can buy the Distress Micro Glaze: https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Holtz-.../dp/B00X1IRJHA

It makes your surface waterproof, so it won't reactivate with water. It's a product that has the consistency of lipbalm, and you spread it over the distress ink area to make it slick. You need very little of it and that little pot will last you ages.

Just be sure to do it after you've glued any embellishments or layers. The slick surface will make it impossible to adhere anything (yes, I speak from experience...).
Unread 10-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

Ditto what Elle said about Distress Micro Glaze. And when she said use a little, I'd emphasize a little - just the tiniest bit on your finger tip.

I used a leaf stamp in a class last Autumn which had the sentiment "I've fallen and can't get up." Heh.

The stamp was the sentiment and leaves (which I searched for to no avail but it was a very old stamp the instructor found at a yard sale). But like Joanne said, you could type your sentiment, or write it, depending on the look you want. (I love the Camus quote too.)

Your postcard swap sounds like so much fun. I hope you report back and also show us some photos!

Beth
ladyofcards likes this post.