In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
Crimping Master
 
KoffeeKat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I pinned something the other day. Then I wrote something quite clever about it. This other woman saw my pin and repinned. She took all my wording like it was hers. I was so PO'd. I almost gave her a cussing out. Then I thought I would be the stupid one. Maybe she's not clever in real life and she needed help, ROFL! I know we all have done it but not to that scale. I have been tired and repinned something with the original wording but it's usually a title or a quote.
Maybe it was your wording she wanted to pin
__________________
There is no such thing as lack of sleep, only caffeine deficiency.
KoffeeKat is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #42
Stampin' Fool
 
roxy64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fingerlakes region of New York
Posts: 1,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Done


I ah... even have a GKD stamps I own board... ( helps when there is shopping frenzy of a release going on and I need one more set to bump it to a gift or something to see all mine at a glance kwim?)
great idea! Think I know what I'll be doing soon on my pinterest account.
__________________
Roxy

http://roxysramblings64.blogspot.com
roxy64 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #43
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sambro, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWDStamp View Post
I am also another newbie on Pinterst. While it is great and addicting, there seem to be limited instructions on how to use it. I often just repin things, didn't realize I should be adding my own comments. The fact I repinned something means I like it, do I really need to comment more than that?
And to the OP, it is not stealing and the person needs to get over herself. Sorry that someone would be so rude to you.
There are no Pinterest guidelines saying you have to change the wording on pins and add your own comments. That's the beauty of it, to pin pictures for your own pleasure ... no commenting necessary even a "dot ." will do

And ditto on the person needing to get over herself
__________________
Leslie Harnish
Sambro, Nova Scotia
Canada
lharnish is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #44
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 227
Default

I'd be happy if I were her. The more people pin her stuff the more that would see it and the potential of increase traffic to her blog. If I were you I'd just move on, it's clearly her issue and she doesn't understand the concept of Pinterest (or how many people are addicted to it.)
ItsMeSuzanne is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #45
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavioliGirl View Post
Oh, thank you, Gina. So wonderful that you don't mind since we've all probably been doing it right along anyway. You are one amazing gal. Stamp on...kinda like "Rock On!"
Aw, thank you. I guess I didn't realize there was a right and a wrong way. I say pin and have fun.
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #46
Gabfest Goddess
 
Gina K. Designs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Done


I ah... even have a GKD stamps I own board... ( helps when there is shopping frenzy of a release going on and I need one more set to bump it to a gift or something to see all mine at a glance kwim?)
I love that!
__________________
My Blog and StampTV

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Gina K. Designs is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #47
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Dragonwold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 629
Default

Another thing bloggers watermark your photos then it is still your photo of your card - it is a good thing to watermark all your pictures for your blog - I still forget to do that on my poor neglected blog
__________________
2 cats short of the Crazy Cat Lady (5 Ragdolls RIP Katie DSH, RIP little Merlot Flame Ragdoll & Sunna Torbie Ragdoll- we miss you! Damn FIP)
http://rebecca-rebeccasemptynest.blogspot.com/
Dragonwold is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #48
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,071
Default

I think pinning is a great way for bloggers to get more traffic. If I see your pin it's going to lead me to the original blog post. Then I re-pin and those who follow me will see it and go to the blog post, and on and on. How can this be a bad thing for a blogger? I would think it's a compliment to have someone pin your idea!
__________________
Amy


My Gallery
fairsinger is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #49
Pearl-ExPert
 
mrussom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Okay, I'm a cyber-idiot and it took me forever to realize I even COULD type my own caption onto things I repinned. I was literally just using it as a pin board without personalizing anything at all. Now, I'm in the habit and often forget...pinning is just so quick!

I also had no idea what following and all that meant...just blythely pinned whatever appealed to me without even looking at people's names. I'm still a bit bewildered by it all.

Point being, your clever thief could have been me or someone equally ignorant.

Yeah I never write my own comments, I just pin to a board I made. Never occurred to me to even do it. I don't care about comments, I care about the project or picture.

I have never taken a picture/project from a blog and moved it to my Pinterest boards, didn't know I could do it (or actually didn't know I could do it!). My items are all found on Pinterest.

And I don't check either if its the 'original' posting. Most I have pinned get me back to the blog or page that has the original idea.
__________________
~~ MARY ~~

MY GALLERY
mrussom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #50
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Okay, I'm a cyber-idiot and it took me forever to realize I even COULD type my own caption onto things I repinned. I was literally just using it as a pin board without personalizing anything at all. Now, I'm in the habit and often forget...pinning is just so quick!

I also had no idea what following and all that meant...just blythely pinned whatever appealed to me without even looking at people's names. I'm still a bit bewildered by it all.

Point being, your clever thief could have been me or someone equally ignorant.
I was pretty clever in my wording, lol. It was definitely one of those things you write that would belong to that person who wrote it. It was for a very specific board. Some of the Pinterest pinners do treat their pins like small blog entries for their certain followers. I don't know if we should. That might be a very bad habit to get into. I let myself get mad and then I got over it. I know she might have done it unintentionally being a Pinterest newbie or she thought she was honestly giving me credit. Maybe she wanted to be very clever. No worries! I would never bark at anybody and make them feel bad for something like that. I don't bark at people anyway, lol. I am guilty of not changing comments either. Sometimes I just leave it as is when I think it's generic.

I did want to add one thing. I did notice this the other day pinning. Some of the Pinterest pins the pinners are actually copy the blog post and adding it to the pins. You would definitely have to go to that post, highlight the entry, copy & paste it into your Pinterest comment box. There is no credit given that this was the original blog post unless you click on that pin to take you to the blog.

The lady who repinned my comment I know it was probably unintentional. I always try to think of both sides. Oh, if I had a blog post copied and pin I would be furious. Some of those bloggers are professional authors. To me that is stealing.

Repinning a comment- Not stealing. Kind of flattering. Probably very innocent. Copy & Pasting a blog post definitely stealing in my eyes.

I could be very wrong in my thinking and that some bloggers would find having their blog post pinned flattering and helpful. That would be an interesting debate.

dtms1- The lady who accused of stealing is not a tech geek in my eye. I am a tech geek. You explained to us what you did and how you did it. You did nothing wrong. You did the Pinterest thing. Like I said in my earlier post if you saved her work on your hard drive then added it all over your Pin board without credit then she can have a problem with it. Actually there was a discussion over at TwoPeas about this a few months ago. Some of the girls did want to pin their favorite items they saved on their hard drives and were wondering if that was a gray area.
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams

Last edited by lylacfey; 01-29-2012 at 02:11 AM..
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,381
Default

I was talking to my DH about Saint's Row III and I forgot to add something important. I wanted to let you all know that I am sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling with my "The woman did not change my comment post."

It was meant to be funny. I even read it again and it did not sound to funny. I am having a horrid month and I can tell it's really coming out in my posting. I always try to post happy go lucky and funny. My DH almost died this month. I sound a bit snippy lately.

To all who don't change comment boxes. Don't change them. If my above post came out snippy too just ignore it. I posted what I posted to see if anybody else thinks it's like cool or not to copy blog posts in a comment box.

You know Pinterest is so new none of us know how to navigate it really and what is good cyber etiquette for that site.

Ok, I am done yacking now. !
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #52
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
fionna51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 14,518
Default

Oh, DeeAnn, sorry that your life has been so stressful recently. I do hope your DH is doing better...

But you did raise an issue about the "Description" area of the pins. While it is probably really convenient to the person who originally did it, since she doesn't need to go to the original post at all, I find it distracting at best when I'm scanning through the posts.

One thing about the "description" area...It is really useful to have something there that helps out on a search. For example, if I search for "gluten free" in order to find gluten free recipes, it brings up any post that has "gluten free" in the description area. Nothing else.

It is also helpful if you select a category for each of your boards. Go to each board and at the top is an "edit board" button. Click, select category from the dropdown menu, and save. That way your posts appear when you go to browse categories. For example, I like to browse the DIY and crafts category. It only brings up posts that are on boards that are in that category. They don't appear if the board is uncategorized.
__________________
Diane
On SCS since 2005...Fan Club since 2007
Quiltzi...High Plains Member of Punchkateerz
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
fionna51 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #53
Watercolor Wizard
 
LateBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Still out on a whim...
Posts: 8,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
I was talking to my DH about Saint's Row III and I forgot to add something important. I wanted to let you all know that I am sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling with my "The woman did not change my comment post."

It was meant to be funny. I even read it again and it did not sound to funny. I am having a horrid month and I can tell it's really coming out in my posting. I always try to post happy go lucky and funny. My DH almost died this month. I sound a bit snippy lately.

To all who don't change comment boxes. Don't change them. If my above post came out snippy too just ignore it. I posted what I posted to see if anybody else thinks it's like cool or not to copy blog posts in a comment box.

You know Pinterest is so new none of us know how to navigate it really and what is good cyber etiquette for that site.

Ok, I am done yacking now. !
DeeAnn, I wasn't at all offended, and I didn't think you were being snippy, either, just expressing your experience and feelings. I was just poking fun at my own ignorance, which is all too easy for me to do!

I'm sorry to hear about your DH and hope all is well now. Those sorts of crises in life really throw us for loops. I've been dealing with issues related to my son, serious but not life-threatening, and oy! That's quite bad enough! Big hugs to you!
LateBlossom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #54
Stazon Splitcoast
 
lazylizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sugar Land. Texas
Posts: 63,641
Default

If someone doesn't want to share their stuff, then why bother to have a blog at all??? I discovered someone pinned one of my cards on Pinterest, and felt highly honored that it was worthy of such recognition. KWIM!!!! Where's the love in not sharing???
__________________
Liz

The joy of the LORD is my strength.

Right Brain Madness --My blog
Proud member of the redDivas
KSS certified multi-step stamper
Fan Club member since 2004
lazylizard is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #55
Polyshrink Goddess
 
daffyrs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mesquite, NV
Posts: 638
Default

I totally agree with fairsinger, I would be honored. That would create more traffic to your blog & that is always a good thing.
__________________
Rita

My Blog
daffyrs1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #56
Polyshrink Goddess
 
horseygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina K. Designs View Post
PLEASE steal from my blog. And StampTV. And my facebook page. And my gallery here at Splitcoast...

Pinterest directs people to her blog. I'm wondering why she wouldn't want people to see her beautiful work and read her blog... Hmmm. Oh well. Pin away and have fun.
LOL! Ya, no kidding!
__________________
~Cindi~

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
horseygal is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
Polyshrink Goddess
 
horseygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 533
Default

I started out putting the credits on my pins and realized it was a waste of time since it is done automatically for the most part. I also don't have a problem with someone uses my comment if that is what they would say about it. I don't know, I would be honored if someone pinned any of my stuff!!!
__________________
~Cindi~

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
horseygal is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #58
Matboard Maniac
 
Meechelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 260
Default

No, it is not stealing. If she is as tech-savvy as she claims to be, she would know that and fully understand its benefit to her.

I would love to know who this diva is, so that I can avoid her in every way.

As for the comments on Pinterest, I think they are for the pinner. I sometimes change the comments to make notes for myself about the project. Sometimes I leave them exactly as I found them.
__________________
Michelle

My Stamping Pad
Meechelle is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #59
Mad Swapper
 
StickUps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,786
Default

Please steal from me.

In fact, I put a "pin it" button on every blog post I think might possibly be pin worthy - just to enable thieves.

Here's what I try to do to give as much credit to the original as possible -
- make sure the pin, and especially a re-pin, goes links back to the original, even if it takes several generations of links. I do re-pin because I also want to give credit to person who first pinned it for being such a good curator.
- don't put so much information in the description that no one has to go to the original. In fact, I try to make it more enticing, like saying there's a great tutorial.

It took me a while to figure this out (I'm kind of slow), but it's really smart to put something in the description to make the pin easy to find in a search. Just putting a smiley face on it doesn't help people find it who are looking for tutorials on how to bake a cake.

Just my two cents - I am TOTALLY a Pinterest-a-holic. So much so that I include a Pinterest inspiration board with all my challenges at Catered Crop.
__________________
My SCS Gallery
My blog: Catered Crop
Proud Fan Club Member
StickUps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #60
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni
 
JanTInk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Set into the baseboard of your stamping room
Posts: 18,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furph's wife View Post
These are the threads are the reason I stopped participating here on SCS.

Not because of the Original Poster, in fact I am feeling kinda upset for her there is no reason for that blogger to send her such an nasty email.

If you don't want your stuff copied or used then don't post them, quit blogging and putting your stuff out on the internet or trade magazines. I never understood that if you share on the internet IT IS PUBLIC, it is no different than putting it out there on the jumbo-tron in Times Square why get upset you were the one that let a piece of your self go. For the most part people really don't care or pay attention. If you put it out there there are no grounds for whining that someone used your thoughts or ideas get over yourself.

I am very tempted to ask the OP her Pinterest name and follow her and repin the upset bloggers cards just because....
Hey Renee!

I don't have a problem with Pinterest. Sometimes I go through my Typepad stats and see that I am getting some traffic from Pinterest. To me, that is GOOD. Yay, Pinterest! Wish I had more time to spend looking and pinning, but I've been so stinkin' buys lately! To me, it's just a different way of bookmarking, so you can go back and look when you want new ideas.

I have had my photos hotlinked off my blog and didn't appreciate that one bit, but the people who do that usually don't realize they are doing something wrong and are willing to fix it when you point it out.

But if someone is copying my cards? Hey, if I didn't want people to copy my cards, I wouldn't put them online. As long as they aren't entering contests with them or sumthin', I am mostly flattered they like what I do enough to CASE.
__________________
JanTink
Queen of the Vent

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink


JanTInk is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #61
Mad Swapper
 
StickUps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 1,786
Default

Well, I've thought about this a lot that last few days because there were sentiments on here that really bothered me but I couldn't articulate exactly why. After much thought (I probably need to get out more), I'm finally able to put it into words.

There's been a common sentiment here and on other threads that if people didn't want us to copy their cards then why did they post them.

I post my cards all over tarnation - on my blog, Splitcoast, Two Peas, Pinterest . . . all over. And, I include all the ingredients, an occasional tutorial, tips, etc. And I am definitely flattered if someone copies one of my projects. I also run a challenge on my site and post my design team's and my cards for inspiration.

But! (Yeah, big But!) I expect people who knowingly, intentionally duplicate my idea and then plan to publish it, make money off of it, or enter it into a contest to give me credit. They don't have to get my permission, but I would appreciate the respect.

No offense to those of you have said: if someone doesn't want to share their stuff, then why share it? But, if you use that logic, then any author who publishes a book in a library, musician who writes a song on the radio, and any painter who creates a beautiful piece of art for an art gallery can be plagiarized. Why do we give them respect but not give our fellow paper crafters the same respect?

I love sharing my projects. Really, I do. But, I don't think I should have to put my work (and my design team's work) at risk of plagiarism because I like sharing my work.

In the end, it's all about courtesy and respect.

So . . . after all this deliberation and introspection on the topic, I realized something. When I pin something, I always make sure I pin from the original source. But, sometimes I'm guilty of re-pinning something without making sure the original curator found the original source. I'm going to vow to always make sure anyone looking at my boards can get to the original creation.

I also found this wonderful site who put these thoughts into words a lot better than I can: Link with Love. Check them out. And if you agree, do what I did. Join them on Facebook and put their button on your blog.

Sorry so long winded . . . thanks for listening.
__________________
My SCS Gallery
My blog: Catered Crop
Proud Fan Club Member
StickUps is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #62
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni
 
JanTInk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Set into the baseboard of your stamping room
Posts: 18,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickUps View Post
Well, I've thought about this a lot that last few days because there were sentiments on here that really bothered me but I couldn't articulate exactly why. After much thought (I probably need to get out more), I'm finally able to put it into words.

There's been a common sentiment here and on other threads that if people didn't want us to copy their cards then why did they post them.

I post my cards all over tarnation - on my blog, Splitcoast, Two Peas, Pinterest . . . all over. And, I include all the ingredients, an occasional tutorial, tips, etc. And I am definitely flattered if someone copies one of my projects. I also run a challenge on my site and post my design team's and my cards for inspiration.

But! (Yeah, big But!) I expect people who knowingly, intentionally duplicate my idea and then plan to publish it, make money off of it, or enter it into a contest to give me credit. They don't have to get my permission, but I would appreciate the respect.

No offense to those of you have said: if someone doesn't want to share their stuff, then why share it? But, if you use that logic, then any author who publishes a book in a library, musician who writes a song on the radio, and any painter who creates a beautiful piece of art for an art gallery can be plagiarized. Why do we give them respect but not give our fellow paper crafters the same respect?

I love sharing my projects. Really, I do. But, I don't think I should have to put my work (and my design team's work) at risk of plagiarism because I like sharing my work.

In the end, it's all about courtesy and respect.

So . . . after all this deliberation and introspection on the topic, I realized something. When I pin something, I always make sure I pin from the original source. But, sometimes I'm guilty of re-pinning something without making sure the original curator found the original source. I'm going to vow to always make sure anyone looking at my boards can get to the original creation.

I also found this wonderful site who put these thoughts into words a lot better than I can: Link with Love. Check them out. And if you agree, do what I did. Join them on Facebook and put their button on your blog.

Sorry so long winded . . . thanks for listening.
I totally agree. Our company motto is all about sharing what we love, but sharing implies knowledge and consent. Linking back is always very good.
__________________
JanTink
Queen of the Vent

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink


JanTInk is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #63
Crimping Master
 
Wannabestampin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,004
Default

I giggled like a little girl when I saw one of my cards posted, and then my jaw dropped when I saw all the other pins linked to my blog. It does nothing but bring more traffic to your blog!

Personally I try to go by a few rules when pinning.

1. Use something descriptive in the comment section when pinning, it actually makes your pin useful when someone is searching.

2. Never copy the instructions into the comment section, you're stealing blog traffic from the blog you got the idea from because now they don't have to go to the blog for more info.

3. Make sure that the pin is using the link to the actual project and not just the whole blog. It's so frustrating when you have to search forever for what you're looking for.

I really wish there was a more detailed FAQ that new people could read before they start pinning. I can't believe how often people ask how they can find the recipe or instructions to something when it's simply click on the image. Or some people use it to promote their own Etsy shop or the ones that post family snapshots on Pinterest.

And I really wish Pinterest would let you have your boards private. But having said that, it's still the funnest place on the www.
__________________
Tina
My Blog: http://mytherapymycreations.blogspot.com/
Wannabestampin' is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #64
Glitter Queen
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Midwestern Ontario
Posts: 12
Default

I have HUNDREDS of cards and ideas pinned to my boards. Each one is linked right to that person's blog, so that when you click on the pin, you'll go right to the blog post. Its a good want for me to recall which cards I loved, without having a huge Favourites list.

*SO FAR* no one has called me out on it
MyGeek is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #65
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Silvermel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 520
Default

This might be stemming from recent conversations about crediting photos on Pinterest, but there was no reason to be nasty about it. I'd say the best thing to do is add something in your despription box like the artists name or the site you found it, and it should be fine...in fact, it's going a bit above and beyond since clicking on the image or the link will take you back to the source where you found it. Unless it's an "uploaded by user" image which doesn't take you anywhere and could be seen as stealing if it belongs to someone else. And it's just something I personally find annoying...if I like something I see on someone's board I would like to be able to see more, or comment on their blog, etc.
Here is a link to a recent blog post on the topic of crediting (mainly for blogs, but I think it works for Pinterest too): oh, hello friend: you are loved.: Blog Discussion - crediting:
__________________
Melanie
"Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
My Gallery My BLOG
Silvermel is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #66
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 265
Default

DeeAnn, I hope all is well with hubby! (((hugs)))

Two things...First she is lucky it wasn't me because I would have put her on front street faster than a New York minute. It is not necessary AT ALL to act ******y even if she didn't appreciate it and really thinks it is stealing. Besides she wouldn't be well known if she didn't put her work out there and people didn't see and like it...sheesh.

Second...I find it hard to believe a well known card designer isn't familiar with Pinterest...I really do. Most people who are well known paper crafters are pretty savvy and generally cutting edge with internet exposure.

This just strikes a BAD nerve for me...ugh...I hate when people "act" all sweet and kind but are sending nasty emails/pms.

Ok, off my soapbox because I am seriously irritated by this type of behavior and could go on and on...lol
Crafty Chelle is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #67
Crimping Master
 
Karenwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: near Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,164
Default

Well I have to say, going through the gallery on the front page just now I saw two pictures that I pinned. I like to give credit to whoever took the time to make the items, but when I clicked through, there was no name given. One had a blog and even searching around the blog I could not find an actual name. So if you see them pinned, I did mention they were from SCS. I would love to have given more credit.

I hate it when you see something, and wonder what it is, and no one has put anything in the description. It is even worse when looking at recipes and someone writes "Yum"...well doh, of course it is Yum, or it would not be there, but what is it?
Karenwhite is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #68
Die Cut Diva
 
lylacfey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,381
Default

Thank you Crafty Chelle. Applauds and Kudos to your post. It irks me about people like that too. I think a lot of people have this belief the Internet is huge and private. They will never be found out. Hah! Even bigger Hah for this industry. Everyone knows everyone in the crafting industry. The bigger star you become the bigger your known. Sooner or later stampers, cardmakers, crafter's, artists are going to meet you at a shop or class. They will see right through you. Be yourself on the Internet if you want to be public. You meet me in Michael's I am the same girl who posts here. A little bit more eloquent and a little bit more sassy. I am still me. I never can get the eloquence or sassiness when I am posting because my dyslexia comes out. You get to see that too in real life.

Karen- I laughed so hard about the "Yum". When I see recipes with Yum I am thinking "It doesn't look so yummy to me!" ROFL!
__________________
DeeAnn

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
lylacfey is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast
 
SophieLaFontaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: my heart remains in France
Posts: 22,247
Default

I was reading another SCS thread, which directed Pinterest users to this article:
Lawyer assesses Pinterest's copyright situation

After I read that article, I was reminded of this thread.
Maybe this will shed some light on whether pinning IS stealing...

I'm not on Pinterest (because I'm not on Facebook), and I don't know much about copyright laws.

edited to add:
I googled it and found a related article:
http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles..._pi_11048.aspx

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 03-10-2012 at 08:00 PM..
SophieLaFontaine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #70
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick
 
JBgreendawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: So. Oregon
Posts: 104,204
Default

I have since deleted my pinterest account and it is because of their terms of use...

the way I understand it now, is although I am flattered to find my own cards pinned,
the terms of use read...

you claim ownership of anything you pin...

( doesn't matter if it links to the source) this way, because pinterest reserves the right to SELL any content that is Pinned... if they decided to sell something you pinned down the line and the person who holds that copy right decides to say something all pinterest has to do is point the finger at you and say so and so pinned it and claims responsibility...


Pinterest - Terms of Use

scroll down till you hit the "member content" paragraph.... then scroll back up and read the paragraph above that... until they change these terms it really is not a good idea to pin things ( anything ) is my gut thought so I have deleted my account and I have blocked pins from being able to be made on my personal blog.
__________________
~Stacy

My Blog
JBgreendawn is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #71
Pearl-ExPert
 
cerridwen3301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: on the edge
Posts: 2,273
Default

the well known card maker needs to get over herself - sad when someone becomes full of themselves like that.

pinterest is a fabulous way to get more exposure - if she doesn't know that then she is under a rock. i would be tremendously honored if one of my items got pinned and since my blog address an name are on my watermark RIGHT ON my pictures i never need to worry about proper credit any well known stamper/blogger knows this.
__________________
my blog: http://pezadoodle.blogspot.com
cerridwen3301 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,062
Default

Are people profiting from Pinterest by posting pictures with links on their boards? My basic theory in life is if it doesnt involve money, health, or someones feelings dont sweat it

Bonnie
Stampnf1n is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #73
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chibougamau, QC
Posts: 6,465
Default

If pinning is stealing, cuff me and stuff me in the back of the cruiser, man. "Watch your head, ma'am."


I still think it's respectful to link back to the blog of the person you're casing but if you don't, it's not like I'd hunt you down or anything. I sent an e-mail to someone ONCE when there were pages I created with my kids pictures on them to promote a class she was giving. It offended me not because she used my page design, but because she didn't remake the page with pics of her own. I sent her a polite e-mail and she was incredibly dismissive. Whatever. In my mind, she's in the wrong but in her's, she's right. What am I gonna do, eh?

I remember the day I figured out how to find out what had been pinned from my blog...HUZZAH! Flattery city!

Keep pinning, fellow Pinheads!
__________________
Brandi
The Squareheaded Stamper
Beedubya is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #74
Crimping Master
 
CraftyMel2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A map dot in Utah
Posts: 1,231
Default

I really don't understand why people get in an uproar over things like this. I really don't. If Sally Smackatella lists lottery numbers on her blog...Child's Bday, Anniversary and # of teeth she has and says "I am playing the lottery this week and these are my numbers". Then I take those same numbers and play the lottery in my town...and WIN...I don't owe her a thing. I don't even have to say "I got these numbers from Sally Smackatella's blog and they are her child's birthday...." If she got wind of my new financial situation and dared to tell me that I stole her lottery numbers, I would laugh in her face. Flame me if you want, still not going to lose any sleep over it. If someone thinks their designs are that important, they can hang them in their craft room and stare at them all day long and never ever let anyone else see them out of fear they may be reproduced. Oh, but wait, if they do THAT, they won't get comments and followers and have any reason to get all puffed up over themselves. Now it all makes sense.
__________________
"For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack" ~Rudyard Kipling
my gallery
CraftyMel2 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #75
Polyshrink Goddess
 
horseygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 533
Default

Well said!
__________________
~Cindi~

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
horseygal is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #76
Pearl-ExPert
 
cerridwen3301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: on the edge
Posts: 2,273
Default

couldn't agree more with the last several posts. no, no money is being lost by anyone or made by anyone when someone pins someone else's card. it's just over-inflated ego that's all.
__________________
my blog: http://pezadoodle.blogspot.com
cerridwen3301 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #77
Die Cut Diva
 
cat_woman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,632
Default

I love Pinterest! And I've been pinning A LOT. I guess I'll have to read up on the proper etiquette and usage. I usually don't put new comments in my pins, but sometimes and I will remove comments that are already there that I personally would never make (eg something directed at someone personally or overly gushing or silly). But I always check to make sure the pin goes to the originating website or blog post because I want to be able to get back to the information myself.

As for the issue of stealing and copyright, there are some real concerns with the way Pinterest has their TOU worded. It could be a nightmare for a lot of people if someone wanted to push their "rights" and sue over copyright infringement. I am debating on eliminating my account. I don't think that the TOU really expresses the intent of the project and that is really unfortunate and exposes a lot of people to some unnecessary legal situations.

And lastly, because I'm rambling, I have a question... How the heck to find out if stuff has been pinned from your blog? Not that I have anything pin worthy on my blog, but it would be interesting to find out if anything had been pinned. And yes, I would take it as a HUGE compliment.
cat_woman is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #78
Die Cut Diva
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,062
Default

Also, if somebody can get Pinterest shut down, somebody else can come up with a modified site and charge money. Voila!

I consider my pins "links" with the exception of my own pictures and crafts. My boards woud look pretty ugly if there were text boxes that said CLICK HERE or just showed the link address. Not many people would be clicking on anything.

Sharing your work is just that SHARING.

Bonnie
Stampnf1n is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #79
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chibougamau, QC
Posts: 6,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I love Pinterest! And I've been pinning A LOT. I guess I'll have to read up on the proper etiquette and usage. I usually don't put new comments in my pins, but sometimes and I will remove comments that are already there that I personally would never make (eg something directed at someone personally or overly gushing or silly). But I always check to make sure the pin goes to the originating website or blog post because I want to be able to get back to the information myself.

As for the issue of stealing and copyright, there are some real concerns with the way Pinterest has their TOU worded. It could be a nightmare for a lot of people if someone wanted to push their "rights" and sue over copyright infringement. I am debating on eliminating my account. I don't think that the TOU really expresses the intent of the project and that is really unfortunate and exposes a lot of people to some unnecessary legal situations.

And lastly, because I'm rambling, I have a question... How the heck to find out if stuff has been pinned from your blog? Not that I have anything pin worthy on my blog, but it would be interesting to find out if anything had been pinned. And yes, I would take it as a HUGE compliment.
http://pinterest.com/source/yourblognamehere/

Use the above to figure out what creation of yours got pinned.
__________________
Brandi
The Squareheaded Stamper
Beedubya is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #80
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chibougamau, QC
Posts: 6,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMel2 View Post
I really don't understand why people get in an uproar over things like this. I really don't. If Sally Smackatella lists lottery numbers on her blog...Child's Bday, Anniversary and # of teeth she has and says "I am playing the lottery this week and these are my numbers". Then I take those same numbers and play the lottery in my town...and WIN...I don't owe her a thing. I don't even have to say "I got these numbers from Sally Smackatella's blog and they are her child's birthday...." If she got wind of my new financial situation and dared to tell me that I stole her lottery numbers, I would laugh in her face. Flame me if you want, still not going to lose any sleep over it. If someone thinks their designs are that important, they can hang them in their craft room and stare at them all day long and never ever let anyone else see them out of fear they may be reproduced. Oh, but wait, if they do THAT, they won't get comments and followers and have any reason to get all puffed up over themselves. Now it all makes sense.
I'm really trying not to let this comment bother me because I know it's not directed *at* me but your example of lottery numbers is apples as and oranges, in my opinion.

I share on my blog not for comments or followers. I share to share. Just because I think that linking back to my blog is courteous, it doesn't mean I'm all puffed up over myself. It means that I like to know that my sharing a card or project that I created is appreciated by the person copying it. It's not a hard and fast rule and like I said earlier, I won't hunt someone down for it.

I'm not full of myself and it kind of offends me that I may be perceived that way because of my opinion on sharing.
__________________
Brandi
The Squareheaded Stamper
Beedubya is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off