Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Picking Starter Kit ??'s

Well, I've basically fallen off the fence and I'm taking the plunge!!

Now that I have the starter kit order form in front of me I'm kind of lost. I can't decide what to get (imagine that). Here's what I do know that I definately want and then I need help from there.

$24.95 - In Full Bloom
$19.95 - Wonderful Words
$29.95 - AYC III

So, now I'm stuck on the $11.95 set, another $24.95 set and the 5.95 wheel. I don't have Fresh Flowers - should I go ahead and get that set? Since it is one of the standard items and I'm also going to get that set of inspiration sheets with my kit? I'm also going to change the paper packs to earth elements and get 5 earth element pads since I don't have ANY of those (and what colors would YOU choose). I have a full set of the bold brights already. I'm also getting the Stampin Memories Add on but I think I will keep that the same as their suggested items.

What do you ladies think? If you were just starting out and knowing what you do now (after having already had your kits) and were going to order a brand new starter kit - what would you order????

Please HELP FAST -- my paperwork is being sent on Monday. WOOHOO!

Thanks!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-02-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Insane Embellisher

Since you are asking for advice - here's mine -
DON'T get Fresh Flowers. I took it about a year ago in my kit and have never used it. Thought it would be any easy one to work up designs and could get into the 2-step, but just don't like it.
As to EE - I LOVE all the colors - narrowing it down to 5 - HMMM
Chocolate Chip - enough said
More Mustard - use it all the time
Old Olive - goes perfect with the above plus
Really Rust
Ruby Red
Summer Sun - Darn, that's 6, but summer sum makes great bees

I use BB and EE more than anything else, so you cannot go wrong in my book.

At $11.95 - how about Let's Party - I've always wanted this one & have used it before - makes fun kids & adult cards & favors.
There's a wheel that goes with it - so you could demo co-ordinated sets.
$24.95 is wide open - Beautiful Batik, Espress Yourself, I'm Here (love to punch out those letters - I don't even have kids and have used it for this ALOT), and last - Yule Bits and Borders - lots of nice pieces to put together in different ways.

Next opinion -?
Old 10-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

I agree, don't get fresh flowers. I started up in July and have hardly used it. I love buds and blossoms! I use it so much. It is a looks great with every color combo. Especially the earth elements. I am glad that I got itty bitty backgrounds. I was also stumped on the 11.95 set and I didn't think that I would use or need a background set. But now that I have it, I love it. If I were you, I would get either the snowflake wheel or the snowman wheel because we are coming into winter and both of those are great to demo. And since we are coming into fall you probably will use the earth elements more than the bold brights.
Angel #2865
Ask me about TAC.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:51 PM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I have only used the swirly flower middle from Fresh Flowers...don't like that set much at all.

I would definetly go with a background set for the $11.95 set.

I don't use my wheels much, so I really don't have a recommendation for that one! Maybe the one that goes with In Full Bloom?

Congrats by the way and have fun!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
Kookie Creator

I didn't get Fresh Flowers either. There are so many other flower sets that I liked better! For an 11.95 set I really like Shape-Ups, Itty Bitty Borders and Close to Nature. For a 24.95 set I like Terrific Tulips, Lovely as a Tree, Spring Garden, & Toy Box (great for cards for boys!) My favorite wheel is Swirl Style.

For EE Colors:

Ruby Red
Old Olive
Chocolate Chip (goes with everything!)
Garden Green (After I started using this color I got addicted!)
Creamy Caramel (use this all the time!)

The best thing to do is pick sets that you really like. Good Luck! It took me days to decide on my kit!
Old 10-02-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
SOS
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default Kit Creations

I have In Full Bloom and I love it but depending on what you currently have, I'm not sure I'd get that either. I say this because I probably wouldn't start out a brand new stamper on this set. It's hard to line up and it works best with aqua painters which might scare a brand new person away. If you are getting it, then get the wheel to match.

Another set to consider is Love Without End. It's a great set to use. It works great with alphadots and the new punch and it has a brass template as well. I have used this set repeatedly in classes and everyone still loves it.

I also use AYCI more than III, but if you already have it .. I have and love them all, but I is more versatile.

Earth Elements I love are: GG, MM, OO, RR, RRed, CC -- actually I love them all and what a great time of year to be working with them!

Good luck on all your decisions. You really can't go wrong.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/SOS
Making Memories One Stamp At A Time
Old 10-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Michelle!

Congrats on your decision! I'm a new demo as of July 21st.

I already had Fresh Flowers, so I didn't get that. I LOVE Terrific Tulips - it's a great two-step stamping set that is great for beginners. I also recommend Love Without End - very versatile. For my $24.95 set I picked Birthday Banter (with the cow and the frog) - a lot of my customers aren't getting any younger (are any of us?! <g>) and get a kick out of that one.

I'm not much into wheels - until recently I had only the one I got with my kit. I picked Whirly Twirly because it's not for just one season or one stamp set. I like it a lot and I got a Ballet Blue cartridge. But recently I got the poinsettia jumbo wheel and a Burgandy cartridge and I love that!

I did the Stampin' Memories option also. I picked Alphadots alphabet - I love that one!

For the $11.95, if you don't like or already have Itty Bitty Backgrounds, you can pick Shape-Ups (if you don't have Little Shapes) or a background set. I like the one with the flowers and holly and starts and can't remember what else is in there.

As for the EE colors, here are my favorites:

Old Olive - you MUST get Old Olive!
Really Rust
More Mustard
Ruby Red
Summer Sun

Hope this helps!

Susan
Old 10-02-2004, 05:25 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I'm getting In Full Bloom because of all the wonderful cards here on SCS. I never thought about it being a difficult set to use or to try and sell to some new stampers.

I have the Love w/out End set and LOVE IT! So there's a plus for some workshops. Although I don't have the brass template - may have to add that to my 1st order.

I already have AYC I - so that I why I'm choosing III. I love the versatility of I as well. I also have the Itty bitty backgrounds already. I'm actually thinking of just getting a regular $11.95 set since I already have some of the background sets in the catty. And I already have "Let's Party" -- it is just too cute.

I'm don't really care for the Yule Bits & Borders - but at least that would be a new Christmas set that I could use for my own cards - so that is a good possibility.

Is it silly of me to consider a $22.95 set when I am being offered a $24.95 set? There are 2 in the $22.95 price range that I really really like. But, I could just put them on my 1st order as well.

I agree with the EE ink colors that you guys have suggested.

Thank you all for your input on this. What a dilemma. This is an even harder decision that actually deciding to sign up. I just can't wait to get it in the mail on Monday. Yippy!!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:51 PM   #9
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Is it silly of me to consider a $22.95 set when I am being offered a $24.95 set
If you think about it, it's only $2... if there's a 22.95 set you like better, don't stress and just get it, that's my advice.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:06 PM   #10
Die Cut Diva

Wow! I just got my starter kit two weeks ago. Would you believe I chose all three of the sets you have already chosen! How amazing is that?! I LOVE In full bloom. I have used it more than any other set I have in my large collection. I also got Petite Patterns for the 11.95 set (I had most of the others) and Whirly Twilry for the wheel. Friend to Friend is also a good set. I have used it a lot.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #11
Dirty Dozen Alumni

PRINNY!!!!! OM GOSH!!! How come I didn't know this until now! WOW!!!

Ok......do you have wonderful words? if not....get it soon! it goes with everything!

ok....here's the deal.......Creamy caramel!! it is amust have. I know you wouldn't think so, but it is!

Shape ups is a great little set. do you have itty bitty backgrounds? i can't remember. that would be the best if you don't.

I figured out that you are getting everything at 40% off. so that is a great deal. If you can do the memories add on.....do it!! you can always use an alphabet!

as far as the wheel......do you have tha party fun one? the snow flake is great. I love the star on too because it is very versital. oh, hot to dot!!

I could go on forever!

good luck Prinny, SO glad you are takin the leap!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:13 PM   #12
Rubber Obsessor

OH, my dear. I wish you all the best! when are you sending me a card?
Old 10-02-2004, 11:09 PM   #13
Pearl-ExPert

Here's my ink pad suggestions:
(note: I'm figuring you already have basic black)
Ruby Red
Old Olive
Garden Green
Chocolate Chip or close to Cocoa or the new Basic Brown
Summer Sun

Sorry, no suggestions on sets.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:24 AM   #14
Die Cut Diva

I would go for the lesser priced set if that's what you really like.. Getting a set that you really like versus a set you are not crazy about and may not use much is worth more than $2.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:12 AM   #15
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

You know, I got Fresh Flowers in my kit, in fact I didn't change anything in it, since I figured that SU! knew which sets would be good for a new demonstrator. Even though I preferred sets that could be colored in and there weren't as many choices in the two step category as there are now! I didn't have very many SU! sets at the time and most of the ones I did have were retired

I ended up loving Fresh Flowers...there's a lot of stuff you can do with it.

Perfect Party - eh, didn't like it much and rarely use it.

I loved Itty Bitty Backgrounds. Tags & More was great too.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 10-03-2004, 07:00 AM   #16
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: Picking Starter Kit ??'s

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessMi
Well, I've basically fallen off the fence and I'm taking the plunge!!

Now that I have the starter kit order form in front of me I'm kind of lost. I can't decide what to get (imagine that). Here's what I do know that I definately want and then I need help from there.

$24.95 - In Full Bloom
$19.95 - Wonderful Words
$29.95 - AYC III

So, now I'm stuck on the $11.95 set, another $24.95 set and the 5.95 wheel. I don't have Fresh Flowers - should I go ahead and get that set? Since it is one of the standard items and I'm also going to get that set of inspiration sheets with my kit? I'm also going to change the paper packs to earth elements and get 5 earth element pads since I don't have ANY of those (and what colors would YOU choose).

Thanks!!!
Get the bloomin' wheel to match your in full bloom.
I regret getting Fresh Flowers.......anyone want to buy it?? LOL
EE pads.....Creamy Caramel, Old Olive, Ruby Red, Real Rust....More Mustard? Or maybe a chocolate chip or Close to Cocoa.

Just because you get the inspiration sheets don't feel you have to buy the set.......they're cheap to buy.

I chose In the Wild as one of my sets so I had something more "manly" to choose from ... just for something different. Also got the matching wheel...haven't regretted that decision yet!

We're SO proud of you Mi!! Woohoo!!!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Old 10-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #17
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

yahhhh Michelle!! I have mine sort of picked out... hehehehe (need to be on the ball when I can sign up!) I have picked out
Shape Ups instead of Itty bitty backgrounds, In Full Bloom instead of Fresh Flowers, All Year Cheer 2 I think (has more bday stuff in it), Little Layers 2 for Tags n more and maybe Terrific Tulips for Perfect Party. The wheel I have down Bloomin to match the In Full Bloom set!
Ink pads are easy for me because I have all but 4 of the Bold Brights so can replace a couple of mine that the kids got yucky looking (yellow, orange )

Sooooooooo happy for you.. can't wait till I can send in my papers too
SCS member #735
Old 10-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #18
Die Cut Diva

Congratulations!!
I liked Lisalisa's reply!
Creamy Caramel and Choc Chip are must haves. (Although I'm wondering if I should be having everyone buy the new Basic Brown instead, now? How similar are they in color?)
If you have the Bolds why not mix it up more and get perfect plum or eggplant envy, Banana is Fabulous!, mellow moss is another great one. Garden green and rose red are wonderful. I don't think you have to get all the same family just because you're getting the paper pack- your first order you should probably buy the other 2 families of paper to have and play with.
Get a shapes, you can use your chalks and versamark to get light backgrounds for these.
You might like the Tags and more, I didn't get it initially but have used it in every workshop since I've had it, its very versatile and I've sold some sets but more importantly, with new stampers, it intills confidence and they'll end up loving stamping and buy lots of what catches their eye...
Don't underestimate the power of the wheel! I demo a sourcream pouch to give to my hostess there at the party and have sold wheels at every party since! The seashells, the love swirls demo nicely. So would lots others.
I love In full bloom and the artwork on here is beyond beautiful, but I agree with whoever said its a more difficult set to use...
I don't have Fresh Flowers- like others have said it's whatever...
I do love Watercolour minis- whether it fits into your pricing this time or not, consider it. I sell lots because of its cost and I make a beautifully simple card that demos both types of 2 step atampin' and chalks and versamark.
Have fun! Remember its not the end of your buying, now you can write everything off in taxes, so you'll keep getting things to demo and enjoy!
Good luck!
LaLa
Old 10-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

My lovely Prinny! Don't forget black and Ruby Red! those are my favorite.
I think I need to come visit you to make those final choices.

See you soon.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:36 PM   #20
Mad Swapper

OK, why not choose bug builders???? I think that set is versatile. It has the filler stamps that would work as background stamps also. Lana did such a cute fourth of July card with it. There is different bugs which work great for both cards and scrapbook pages. The letter stamps fit inside the bug's body for an adorable header. Lovely as a tree is a masculine set. The stamp with the 6 trees stamped with white on navy with some glitter makes a beautiful card.

What about a greeting set like friend to friend. itis a nice set to use inside cards.

oh, I am sure what ever you decide you'll love.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM   #21
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunky
My lovely Prinny! Don't forget black and Ruby Red! those are my favorite.
I think I need to come visit you to make those final choices.

See you soon.
Hey - Skunky thanks for the offer but I think I'll be OK.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:46 AM   #22
Die Cut Diva

Oh dear, I just found this post, but maybe others have taken the plunge too and might want to read these suggestions.

I love the following:

Ruby Red
Garden Green
Chocolate Chip or Basic Brown
Night of Navy
Bliss Blue

I love the two step set, Spring Garden. It looks great with Bliss Blue, Mellow Moss, and a lavendar color, too.

I never used Fresh Flowers. I love Tags and More. People will buy that, too. I also like Itty Bitty Backgrounds and those other sets in that price range.

Finally, I really like Shapes and Shadows as a two step. Very user friendly!

Good luck!
Vera
Old 10-04-2004, 03:52 AM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I use my stars wheel all of the time! It can work for B-day, 4th of July, holiday -- I used it on Garden Green 12x12 paper with Garden Green ink cart and made subtle background paper for a Christmas layout. The possiblities are endless with that wheel.

Since In full Bloom has a border stamp, I don't use the wheel much.

Again, good luck! You'll love it!

Vera
Old 10-04-2004, 05:20 AM   #24
Kookie Creator

I too have my paperwork in front of me and have loved the advice on the stamp sets. My question is that I already have all of the classic ink pads so I need suggestions on what colors to pick. I do not have basic brown so that is one I need to get. I also remember reading on here that the YoYo Yellow will clean off stained stamps so I figured I would get another of those. Does anyone have anymore suggestions for me?
I also already have the chalks and versamark so I am going to get things I already have. I sure do wish you could substitute for those also. Any suggestions on how to make the most of my choices would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:38 AM   #25
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

When I order my starter kit I am planning on getting YoYo yellow and Summer sun, and black for EXTRAS's. The lighter colors always seem to get "dark" because people don't wash off the stamps like they should. I also plan on a black because at workshops (my 4-H kids workshops for now) you can always use a spare!! The "extra" things you get in your starter package that you have already you could trade on here for something you might like. People always willing to trade
SCS member #735