Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #41
Rubber Obsessor

I hadn't actually noticed that trend. Then I grabbed my phone and proceeded to scroll through my IG thread to see what card makers have done, and sure enough, a plethora of flat lay cards with props! I think I prefer to see that look as opposed to standing up a card with a neutral background. That's just my personal preference.

As far as photographing my own cards, the layout depends on the lighting (as in natural light), time of day (which significantly effects lighting), the card, and what kind of mood I happen to be in.

If I really love my card and am super excited about it, I will most likely lay it flat with props. For example, I may lay down some shells, flowers, etc. Sometimes I will lay to the side of the card the items used to create it - markers, pencils, ink pads, etc.

I have also laid my cards flat on a piece of scrapbook paper that looks like wood paneling. I actually have several different scrapbook papers that I use. Sometimes I'll use props. I often lay my card on top of a piece of fabric with colors that coordinate with the colors on my card. I really like how that looks. I have also laid cards flat on a placemat, countertop, or a table with nothing underneath

On a "good lighting" day I may stand my card on my coffee table in front of a table scape. I don't take extra time to arrange the table scape. Often, it just gets blurred out anyway. I always have to wait until the sun is in the west to get the best natural light coming through the window.

Another way I photograph my cards is to stand it up on my desk or against a wall or a piece of foam board covered in scrapbook paper that looks like wood paneling.

This was a great topic. Thanks for letting me share.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
fl_beachbum likes this post.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #42
Crimping Master

I usually just scan my cards and use that for my Gallery because I am horrid at taking pics. I am just not steady with the camera and I don't have good lighting. More often then not, I end up with my shadow in the picture. Scanning isn't great because it usually mutes or changes the colors a bit, so sometimes if my card is really bright or the scan is way off from the colors I will snap a pic with my camera phone. In those cases I take it flat because that works better for my shaky hands.

I agree with Wavejumper, if I was a demo or dt member I would need to do a better job of staging the product. As for the look (flat, standing, staged), I think there's a really wide array of looks employed by the YouTubers and I pretty much like that they each have their own style. It gets boring if everyone does the same thing. Just my opinion.
TLady likes this post.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #43
Compulsive Stamper

Truthfully, I've never noticed any of the backgrounds in pictures because I'm only looking at the card. When I take pictures of mine, I lay them flat on the dining room table and then try to make the card fill the entire frame. The dining room has the best light in our house.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #44
Glitter Queen

cheermom;"Hmm, mine are ALWAYS flat so maybe I need to rethink my pics. LOL I just do whatever is quickest and fastest but maybe that's not the thing to do?"

That's me! Do whatever is quickest. I spent enough time on the card itself and just want to get started on another. But I try to take a good flat photo with white card stock behind it and get in close. I've been known to use a small dot of re-positional glue to hold the card flatter for better unskewed view.
bjeans likes this post.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

Hey, Dina! I am piping in - I take mine in whatever lighting I have that's best at the time of the photo, and if that means I have to take it under my craft lamp, I have a small selection of 12x12" printed paper that looks nicer than the dark, ugly card table (circa 60s or 70s) that I craft on. I always prefer to sit them up -if- I have good light and -if- I can get them in a place where there's nothing in the background but the wall.

For awhile I tried the staging thing because I think it looks SO pretty, but I've also noticed a few times in viewing some bloggers' posts when it seems the staging is what "makes" the card - and if it wasn't put in such a pretty little scene and instead on a more plain background, I probably never would have given it a second glance. Sort of like how sometimes the outfit is a lot prettier than the personality in it...

By all means, keep on keepin' on with your "plain" background with the card standing up! I think that's always the best way to feature your artistry, not a bunch of extra junk grabbing the viewer's eye!

Blessings,
C
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."

fl_beachbum, Cook22 and bjeans like this post.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #46
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I prefer to photograph my cards on a slight angle with some flowers or other props in the background. I use a wood slice or decorative plates underneath with various placemats underneath the plates/wood. Everything I bought for props was cheap, thrifted or on sale. I don’t have a standard layout as I change it based on the colours and/or style of the card.

I use repositionable glue dots to keep the card in place if needed. I stopped taking photos with the photo upright as they tended to sag or not photograph straight. Because where I keep my photo box doesn’t allow me to take photos directly from the front. And I don’t want to pay extra for stiffer card bases when that’s the only time I’d need it. (The cards don’t stand but not perfectly square for photography)

I prefer cards photographed with a decorative background even if it’s just a few leaves or the products used to make them. I’ve also used a sprinkling of sequins to make the background look pretty. But #1 to me is that the card isn’t under or over exposed or blurry. Those are the biggest things to avoid. And a white background only works IMHO if the card base isn’t white!
TLady likes this post.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #47
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancesWithHooves
View Post

Hey, Dina! I am piping in - I take mine in whatever lighting I have that's best at the time of the photo, and if that means I have to take it under my craft lamp, I have a small selection of 12x12" printed paper that looks nicer than the dark, ugly card table (circa 60s or 70s) that I craft on. I always prefer to sit them up -if- I have good light and -if- I can get them in a place where there's nothing in the background but the wall.

For awhile I tried the staging thing because I think it looks SO pretty, but I've also noticed a few times in viewing some bloggers' posts when it seems the staging is what "makes" the card - and if it wasn't put in such a pretty little scene and instead on a more plain background, I probably never would have given it a second glance. Sort of like how sometimes the outfit is a lot prettier than the personality in it...

By all means, keep on keepin' on with your "plain" background with the card standing up! I think that's always the best way to feature your artistry, not a bunch of extra junk grabbing the viewer's eye!

Blessings,
C

Yes about sometimes staging making the card - and sometimes it’s the opposite - a card will look a little off but it’s the background taking away from a really nice card.

This seems to mostly happen when the background color doesn’t play nice with the card color - like if the card colors are clear and the background is not. Or two patterns clash.

Now and then I’ll rip a white paper towel or napkin into strips when in the kitchen looking at photos on my iPad, and put the pieces around the subject in the photo - cards but other things too - in order to isolate it to see it better.

Our eyes do a number on us when certain colors are next to or on top of each other. Google “contrast effects” or “simultaneous contrast” for pretty fascinating info and fool-the-eye on-line exercises. Well, fascinating for color nerds. (We had to study it in IACC-NA color classes.)

Last edited by bjeans; 07-01-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #48
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

C, your comment - For awhile I tried the staging thing because I think it looks SO pretty, but I've also noticed a few times in viewing some bloggers' posts when it seems the staging is what "makes" the card - and if it wasn't put in such a pretty little scene and instead on a more plain background, I probably never would have given it a second glance.

Yes! Although I do photograph mine laying down and staged a bit, I admit I have noticed, too! The first time I noticed it, the sequins in the background helped catch my eye - but there weren’t any actually on the card!
TLady and bjeans like this post.