Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pens, pencils or chalks....

OK I am doing a hostess club the next 6 months (have to spend $25 a month) - we are doing our first order in July before the new catalogue comes out so people can get retiring sets if they wish...

Since the only set's I am interested in are not retiring I figure July would be the month to get some "extras" so I can wait and see if there is something better coming in the new cataloge that pulls me more...

I have the stamping spots and find myself mainly using bold brights so I was thinking of maybe getting the Bold Bright marker set...the other colors that I do use - mainly the browns and greens I can always get separately.

but then the chalks and the watercolor pencils call my name too...

so for those that have all 3 what do you find that you use most...

what do you like / dislike about each...

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 AM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I don't do much coloring in, but love both the chalks and WC pencils when I do. One thing I don't like about the WC pencils is that my set doesn't coordinate with the SU colors - and the paint on pencils does not look like the colors of the lead. I use spots a lot (and sell lots of spots) and could not live without my markers to fix boo boos. I do like to color in on the stamp too (I will miss Watercolor Fun for that) so markers are great. You can get a wonderful second image from a colored-on stamp if you have some glossy scrap nearby too - you won't believe it is the second image. SU may possibly change a color with catty change, so I would vote for the markers. The chalks were adjusted last year(? time flies, 2 years?) so they should stay the same....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Chalks have so much versatility and it is a great way to get a lot of color in one shot. You can use them with the applicators included, you can use blender pens, you can do poppin' pastels. I also have the watercolor pencils and while I like both, I tend to reach for the pastels more often.

HTH!
James 1:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would have to say the chalks also. I even use mine with the versamark for ink colors I do not have.
Also, I use mine much more than pencils or markers for a softer look.

Happy ordering,
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I have the pencils and the chalks, and I use the pencils way more. Ive not really been happy with my results when doing the "poppin pastels" technique, and generally only use my chalks to shade torn edges.

I used to use my pencils more often, for water coloring, but then my demonstrator suggested I try water coloring with my ink pads and I really like those results better! But I dont have all the colors of ink pads, so I do still use the pencils a lot.

Id LOVE to get the markers, but EEK thats a lot of money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Chalks, Chalks, Chalks!!!! I have gotten to where I use my chalks on about every card I do. They are awesome and SOOO versatile. Everyone else has share so many of the ways you can use them on your cards (the possibilities are endless!)

Markers and pencils are wonderful but you will get the most for your money if you get the chalks. You won't know how you lived without them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #7  

I have all three, and I by far use my markers the most. They are great for coloring, journaling and using as a stamp pad. Before I had all the stamp pads, I would use my markers to color my stamps. You can use the inkwork airtool, or do the thumping technique.

2nd would be the chalks. I like the pencils, but I have the same complaint. I wish they would come in all 48 colors. Then I think I would use them way more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have all three and love all three for various reasons.

Pastels: You get all 48 colors in one set. But, it could get messy if you drop them like I did! :(

Pencils: They are great to color and with the blender pen, it makes it beautiful for that watercolor look. But, it doesn't have all 48 colors! :(

Pens: Probably my favorite. It matches with all 48 colors. You can color with them or write with them. Its great to have a card with a greeting inside that matches the color scheme of the card! But, it gets expensive to get all 48 colors.

Save up and buy all 3! ....Wish we could all do that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 03:11 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

My suggestion is to get the chalks and pencils now and save up money to get the entire set of markers in January or February, that way you get two sell-a-bration stamp set free when you buy the markers! For just another $30 worth of SU items, you can get another sell-a-bration set free! That is what I did, if you can wait that long! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2004, 03:21 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I bought all three when I began demonstrating (and I have all the full size pads and the spots too!)

I find I use the inks and chalks most for myself, but use the pencils alot for demo'ing.

I love the chalks because they blend so easily and they are so forgiving (you can erase mistakes).

I love all the inks. I use the full size pads to demonstrate and when I make cards myself. I use the spots when I am on the go and when I scrapbook with friends.

The pencils are great, but they don't come in all 48 colors, and although they "coordinate" with the SU! colors, they are not perfect matches.

I love the markers because they come in all the colors. I do not use them as much as the inks, chalks and pencils though.
Reply With Quote Likes