Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Penny Black...need help with ink!

I have a Penny Black stamp set that I just love...it's Paris themed and it is really cute. The problem? I can't find an ink to adhere to it. It's a clear set of stamps, but I think it isn't the best quality. I'd like to use Memento and color the images with Copics, but I can't get an image that is good enough to use. Any tips?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

If you have versamark, ink the stamp in versamark first, then your memento, then stamp.

Or, if you have a white eraser handy, rub it over your stamp a bit and then try stamping.

Or, sometimes I find that I just have to ink it and stamp it a handful of times to break it in, and later images are better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #3  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I have trouble with that same set. I'll try the hints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Memento ink works for me on those acrylic sets, but I think that the best ink to use on those PB acrylic stamps is Stazon ink....just don't use Stazon cleaner to clean them... that type of cleaner I hear is not good on clear stamps....I have heard that Penny Black is now making their new clear stamps with photopolymer which will be way better than the acrylic...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I was honestly surprised by how crummy the quality of these stamps really are--they don't take ink well, and they don't stick to a block well at all. They don't "feel" right and well...until there's overwhelming proof of a change (if that's true)....I won't buy any more no matter how cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also been surprised at the quality of PB photopolymers - if they are, indeed, photopolymer. I have two sets that stick poorly to storage panels and actually the bigger one have begun to curl. Shame. Nice stamps.

Yes, the Versamark trick is always a good one. Or try using an oil-based ink like Versafine. Colorbox Fluid Chalk also works, but be prepared to end up with a very stained stamp. I was careful about that for a while, and never used my chalk inks on my clears, but I have stopped caring whether my clears are stained. I'll do whatever it takes to get a good image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, the quality of Penny Black clear stamps is not the best. I don't buy them anymore. I agree with the above that you should try Versafine ink or try any craft/pigment inks. Good luck. I ended up selling mine at a garage sale. So sad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastamperView Post
Memento ink works for me on those acrylic sets, but I think that the best ink to use on those PB acrylic stamps is Stazon ink....just don't use Stazon cleaner to clean them... that type of cleaner I hear is not good on clear stamps... .I have heard that Penny Black is now making their new clear stamps with photopolymer which will be way better than the acrylic ...
I hope you are right. I haven't heard this, but I am going to ask them at CHA! This would be a game changer for me. They really should be using high quality polymer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I learned by accident is to ink up with VersaMark and then let it dry on your clear stamp. The next time you ink it up it will take the ink and you will have a perfect image. I would say to use this as a last resort though. I like washing the stamps first. If they are indeed photopolymer, this may remove any uncured resin (that sticky feeling left on photopolymer stamps). If they are silicone or acrylic, this will remove any release agent left on the stamp. If that doesn't work, then I get out the eraser... If that doesn't work its my nail buffing block. Leaving ink to dry on my stamp is my last resort...

ETA: I personally haven't had any issues with the few sets of clear PB stamps I have thankfully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

please let us know if PB changes the material on their clear stamps. They have some of my favorite designs but the quality ..... keeps me from buying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #11  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

To the OP: just fyi, Versafine and Stazon won't work with Copics.

And if the issue seems to be with the stamps, then my suggestion would be for you to contact Penny Black to see what they say; maybe they can help.

Good luck !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

For Penny Black I use versamark and then momento. I also stamp on a piece of fun foam. I agree the quality of the material is not the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried the versamark and then the Memento trick. The image came out a little darker, but also a bit fuzzier, and wider than the actual image lines. Any help with this? It's almost as if the versamark ink watered down the Memento ink and made it spread. Maybe my inks are too old??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd guess the fuzziness is due to pressure, rather than the inks. I have found, especially with these 'squishy' sort of stamps, that its very easy to apply too much pressure and blur the image lines. The photopolymer stamps are always much firmer, more like a rubber stamp, than the acrylics,which seem to spread out when you apply the pressure you normally would. I only have 1 set of PB clears, and I thought I had a bad stamp set, but judging from this thread, its not just me. I'm very surprised at PB, going into the clear market with such a poor quality. Not what we expect from them at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
To the OP: just fyi, Versafine and Stazon won't work with Copics.

And if the issue seems to be with the stamps, then my suggestion would be for you to contact Penny Black to see what they say; maybe they can help.

Good luck !
I am aware of this, but thank you for the reminder and for the info in case anyone else isn't aware. I do hope they change their stamps soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
I am aware of this, but thank you for the reminder and for the info in case anyone else isn't aware. I do hope they change their stamps soon!
Yvw. Hopefully folks who are unhappy with the stamp quality will let Penny Black know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I recently purchased several PB stamp sets but hadn't put them to use yet. This string on the forum prompted me to get the stamp sets out to test them to see if I experienced the same problems as those mentioned above.

The good news is all my stamps are stamping just fine with memento black ink (I color images with copic markers so using memento ink is crucial for me). So I'm not sure if I just got lucky, but I thought I'd mention a few things I noticed while I tested the stamps:

It appeared that no ink was sticking to the stamp when inking up the stamp, but once I stamped out the image on Neenah Solar Whit paper, the images came out just fine. I was surprised to see such good impressions since it truly appeared that no ink adhered to the stamp! I almost didn't even stamp it out on paper since the stamp looked totally clear of ink.

I did have one problem with a large stamp of a girl driving a cadilac, so I took an eraser to the stamp and then stamped the image with no problem. Further stamping of the image continued to stamp with no problem.

Just as a reference here are the acrylic stamp sets I tested:

A Day in Paris
Hello Gorgeous
Critter Party
Betsy Bluebell
Hugs
Fresh New Day
Paint the Town
12 Days of Christmas

I also find that using the Martha Stewart acylic block with foam feet helps me put just the right amount of pressure when stamping the PB acrylic stamps. I noticed I was putting much too much pressure when stamping these stamps sets since I didn't think the ink was adhereing to the stamp. Using the MS acrylic block with foam feet prevented me from getting fuzzy images.

Like many of you commented already - I'm dissapointed that PB isn't selling Polymer stamps since the quality of these stamps are so much better than acrylic. Maybe there's hope that a change is forthcoming! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I had an issue with a PB clear set and emailed them and complained. I got a personal phone call and was told the best ink to use was Versafine and then heat emboss it with clear embossing powder to color with Copic's. Haven't had a problem with that set since.

But I have do own another set that doesn't stick to the acrylic block and have not bought any others since due to the low quality. Too bad since they do have some cute images!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapfever2View Post
But I have do own another set that doesn't stick to the acrylic block and have not bought any others since due to the low quality. Too bad since they do have some cute images!
These are clear? Try giving the back a scrub down with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol.

I know the PB's aren't polymer, but one problem with the photopolymers on occasion is that when they're removed from the backing, something called the substrate is torn. (I think it's that part of the backing sheet sticks to the stamp, though it looks like the stamp is maybe torn.) The tip for dealing with photopolymers is to use the alcohol, because it gets that substrate off. (Then you can give them a quick wipe with a baby wipe or whatever if you don't like the alcohol to stay on your stamp.)

Can't promise you it will work, but if you're not using the stamps anyhow, it's worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

You might try washing the stamp and acrylic mount with dish soap and warm water. If that doesn't help you can use 3M/Scotch REMOVABLE double sided tape to hold the stamp to the mount. I used to to do that with all my UM rubber stamps because they didn't have the cling foam on them.
Good luck.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I re-inked my Memento pad with tons and tons of ink and that has solved my problem for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am a little late in replying but I do have to say that if you do ever have any issues using Penny Black stamps which I did, I emailed the company and they are fantastic! Their suggestion was Versafine Onyx Black and it worked! I strongly suggest contacting them. If you still are not happy with the results, they will have you send images and work with you until you are satisfied.
Reply With Quote Likes