Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Papertrey's new shipping policy

Has anyone checked out the new international shipping policy for PTI? Anyone else feel screwed over?
My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think postage to Canada is high, no doubt about that. But, if you look at the postal rates on www.usps.com a 1lb package from the US to Canada is $16.00.
Papertrey's charges are slightly higher than that, but we don't know what other charges they may have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Wow.

I guess I understand based on the explanation in the new shipping policy. But it still hurts in a "I won't be able to buy as much now cause the shipping's going to kill me" kind of way.

It's too bad, I love papertrey stuff.

Clean your home without chemicals!
Find out how...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

and that is why I have quit ordering from the US....if I can't find it online or storefront here in Canda, I find something comparable. It is not the site's issue, it is Canada Post (and the border/customs as well) Sad, as I love so much i see
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I just read about it! I understand but I don't know if I'll be ordering from papertrey any more. It's just too expensive. I'll have to wait and maybe play around with my orders etc to see what can be done.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
I think postage to Canada is high, no doubt about that. But, if you look at the postal rates on www.usps.com a 1lb package from the US to Canada is $16.00.
Papertrey's charges are slightly higher than that, but we don't know what other charges they may have.
Yes, the US post office changed its policy regarding shipping to Canada back in early fall. I found that out the hard way--I was in a swap where I had to send a package to Canada, and when I went to mail it, because it was not a flat envelope, they charge you priority international shipping rates now. They do not have a parcel post or first class option anymore. It cost me about $16.00 to send a few items in a padded envelope that was no bigger than 5x7.

Having said that, I wonder how UPS or Fedex compares?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 07:57 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivinemissVView Post
Yes, the US post office changed its policy regarding shipping to Canada back in early fall. I found that out the hard way--I was in a swap where I had to send a package to Canada, and when I went to mail it, because it was not a flat envelope, they charge you priority international shipping rates now. They do not have a parcel post or first class option anymore. It cost me about $16.00 to send a few items in a padded envelope that was no bigger than 5x7.

A 1 pound package to Quebec Canada by UPS is about $11.60 by UPS "Standard". I just typed it onto my UPS software here at work...
2 pounds 12.11, 3 pounds 12.96.

I am so thankful everytime I read these threads about shipping that I dont have to pay for USPS or UPS to anywhere because I would not pay 16.00 to mail a small item like you said...

Also, online with usps.com it says that to Canada a 3 pound package is only:
First-Class Mail� International Varies $11.86

So that is cheaper than UPS...
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company

Last edited by jpmayo; 02-29-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow... I hadn't read that and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I don't have any local stamping friends so a huge shipping cost like that would be shouldered by me. I was ordering monthly from PTI, but honestly with shipping that high I don't think I'll be able to continue doing so. Just after I've fallen in love with their new paper and ink. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: I had no idea it could snow this much in the desert!

Quote:

Wow! That's sad.

I just mailed 2 new in pkg Quickutz dies (each were doublekutz, so 4 dies all together) that I sold on eBay and at my post office I was only charge $1 even for first class shipping to Canada. I had expected to pay closer to $5 or more. And they arrived to her really quick, within 3 days from Nevada. I don't what was different, but the buyer and I were both pleased.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Do any of you know someone in the US? Perhaps you could have your packaged mailed to them and they could mail it on to you however you wanted. I feel bad for you guys, but also understand where PTI is coming from. Sounds like they were getting continually hounded by people who chose a way of shipping that has no tracking and then they were demanding to know where the package was. Stinks for everyone involved. I'm sure PTI thought about this a lot before they made the decision. If I lived out of the country, I would not be able to afford it either. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

I don't feel there is any easy answer to the shipping expense between the US and Canada. I believe Nichole had your best interests in mind as to why she changed her shipping policies as stated below:

[COLOR="Blue"]As many of you may already know, First Class International offers no tracking or insurance. We have found that many packages sent in this manner do not end up at their final destination or take much longer than anticipated. In turn, we have no way of researching where the package is or it's status once it leaves our facility, which puts us at a disadvantage when trying to serve you best. In the long run, these types of incidents benefit no one and cause customer service issues that are unnecessary.

With International Priority Mail we will be able to provide you information as to it's status. The package will also be insured against damage, loss and other mishaps which can happen during the order's long international journey. All of these things will be beneficial to everyone and allow us to provide you the very best service possible.

We have had many international customers remark that they found it cost effective to order with a friend and split the shipping costs. If you make a note in the comments section of your order as to what both customer names are regarding duplicate stamp sets, we will be happy to manually credit both parties with an accurate tally towards earning this year's free anniversary set.

If you have any questions or comments about these policy changes, please feel free to contact customer service. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and look forward to serving you in the future.[/COLOR

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Nichole's explanation is supposed to be in blue, don't know why it isn't. :rolleyes:

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I read the explanation and understand why they did it, it's just still disappointing. I knew my orders would take longer to get to me, but I hadn't had any problems receiving them. In addition to the high shipping we also have to pay duty, so to receive a $50 order, it would cost me an extra $20 in shipping and then $7.50 to get it from the post office ($5 customs handling fee and 5% tax on the value). Anyway, hopefully a new solution will come up which will make it more affordable to shop with them internationally. I'll miss my PTI in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #14  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Yikes! Someone lied to you. :mad: I have mailed things to Canada recently and it was not that much. There is a "first class international" option for packages that weigh 4 pounds or less.

Here are the quotes for a 1 lb package to Canada:

Express Mail� International 5 Days $23.25 $21.39
Priority Mail� International 6 - 10 Days $16.00 $15.20
Priority Mail� Flat Rate Box 6 - 10 Days $23.00 $21.85
First-Class Mail� International Varies $4.66

Here are the quotes for a 4 lb package to Canada:

Express Mail� International 5 Days $28.50 $26.22
Priority Mail� International 6 - 10 Days $19.90 $18.91
Priority Mail� Flat Rate Box 6 - 10 Days $23.00 $21.85
First-Class Mail� International Varies $15.46

Anything over 4 lbs loses the first class mail international option.

To check shipping rates, go to www.usps.com and click calculate postage at the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #15  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimz1959View Post
Nichole's explanation is supposed to be in blue, don't know why it isn't. :rolleyes:
You're missing a ] at the end after the word color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Do any of you know someone in the US? Perhaps you could have your packaged mailed to them and they could mail it on to you however you wanted. I feel bad for you guys, but also understand where PTI is coming from. Sounds like they were getting continually hounded by people who chose a way of shipping that has no tracking and then they were demanding to know where the package was. Stinks for everyone involved. I'm sure PTI thought about this a lot before they made the decision. If I lived out of the country, I would not be able to afford it either. :(
Nikie would you be my NEW USA buddy, PLEASEEEEE, hehe
Kathy

Last edited by K. Benko; 02-29-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: forgot wording
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Although this doesn't affect me- you can tell PTI doesn't "want" to have to charge their customers so much. It's really nice of them to offer to manually calculate the anniversary stamp totals on shared orders. That seems to be going above and beyond. Otherwise all those sets would just count as someone ordering multiples (which doesn't count to the free set)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

My mom lives in the US and just mailed me Olivia Cuttlebug set (10 dies) Priority for $4.66.

She mails me stamp sets all the time and the price is comparable to the US - it doesnt get expensive unless she goes over 4 pounds then it is $23.

I just went to order Papertrey and was shocked - $21 shipping for 2 stamps and paper. I am just going to ship it to mom in the US and have her ship it to me.

I just received my old Papertrey order today - I bought 5 stamp sets and they were charged $5 something (maybe 72 cents) to mail those first class international. I paid $7.95 to them (and was completely happy with old rates) I wish we could have kept those old rates.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Sounds like PTI needs a Canadian partner to carry things, so all the people who live in Canada can order from a Canadian outlet. If only dreams came true....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by K. BenkoView Post
Nikie would you be my NEW USA buddy, PLEASEEEEE, hehe
Kathy
Kathy maybe me and you need to get together and place one order to save on shipping.. It's the paper I'm after.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
Do any of you know someone in the US? Perhaps you could have your packaged mailed to them and they could mail it on to you however you wanted.
You'd be paying for shipping twice, though. From PTI to your friend and then from your friend to you. Ouch.

Bummer about the prices but I can understand from PTI's perspective.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
Sounds like PTI needs a Canadian partner to carry things, so all the people who live in Canada can order from a Canadian outlet. If only dreams came true....
Yes a Canadian partner would be wonderful. You would thik we live on the moon, makes me so mad, and then we get hit with duty which is $5.00 charge plus 10% of items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadameCraftyPantsView Post
You'd be paying for shipping twice, though. From PTI to your friend and then from your friend to you. Ouch.

Bummer about the prices but I can understand from PTI's perspective.
Not if it is over $40 - then papertrey will ship to the US for free.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Do you mean like a brokerage firm? That would raise prices a lot I think. LLBean uses that and prices end up being about 30% more :( But yes we get our packages super fast - like within one week with regular delivery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

dbl post

Last edited by Suzy_H; 02-29-2008 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
Not if it is over $40 - then papertrey will ship to the US for free.
Good point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Not to be mean and bash companies but I know for a fact and I'm not going to mention any names, as I don't want to start anything but....
One company on SCS does ship to Canada a flat rate of $5.95 for items over $35.00 no matter how heavy the item. Now maybe there is no insurance but I don't believe there is that many parcels lost in the mail to warrant every Canadian parcel to have Papertrey's outrageous shipping fee. I just checked and to ship the two paper combos to Canada would be $23.65. That is over half the value of the combos. Seriously....
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I just mailed a small bubble mailer less than a pound to Canada today regular Parcel Post it was only $1.31. So it seems as thought the prices very greatly, confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:11 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know for a fact that companies shipping packages to Canada also have extra charges. I do not know exactly what they are but I work for a large world wide known company. Or stores in the US do not ship to Canada because of the cost of it. A box with a 2 lb. pair of shoes is very expensive to go across the border. We do have stores in Canada and we use those stores's inventory to ship to our Canadian customers and if they do not have it then we refund our customer's money.
I do wish that the shipping over the border would much cheaper for the Canadians. It just is not right charging them that much money when the actual cost of the item is not that much. Itreally is not the stores's fault, it is the cost of the shipping fault.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:13 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Wow... the new shipping rates are really steep! I was hoping they would add the international flat rate envelope but not only was it not added, the flat rate box has been removed! Flat rate envelopes and boxes and sent via international priority mail and there's tracking for them... sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

It is too bad. I like some of the PTI stamps, and will probably have a $40+ order when I take my vacation in the states this summer and see if I can get my order shipped to that address myself. It's not a great solution though. I have toyed with the idea of renting a mailbox over there but that just seems like more hassle than it's worth. There are lots of great Canadian sources for things that I like just as well if not more than PTI stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

Has Papertrey ever considered having a company sell in Canada. That way the shipping should be abit less as they would be dealing in volume. The problem is we would still be dealing with Canada Post which is extremely high also. I guess I'm just thinking out loud, hehe. Funny I do that a lot.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I think Rick had posted in a thread a while ago about doing that. The concerns were that then they have another company representing them, so would the customer service stay the same? Would they take the same care in packaging? Also, the product would end up costing more. You're also right in that then we'd have to pay Canada Post, but at least there'd be no duty charged. I think the Canada Post shipping rate would end up being cheaper than paying the old PTI rate plus customs.

I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision for them, but it sure does suck for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Didn't I read on a thread by Gina K that if a product is actually made in the US it can be sent cheaper something to do with customs/duty going to Canada?

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by waglegView Post
Actually First Class International is $4.66 -- so sorry, we do tend to get taken with postage with every order we place. I am so frustrated with the shipping charges anymore that I rarely order anything from the States. I guess I just don't understand that when a person from the US orders over a certain dollar amount, they receive free shipping -- but when a Canadian places that same order, we get taken royally with the s/h.

I personally know for a fact that these companies are losing so much business from their Canadian neighbors because of the s/h charges.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Red face

I clicked this thread by accident, but read it anyway and one thing I noticed from those posting prices for "cheaper" shipping is you are talking about 1st Class mail and in the explaination from PTI, they talk about shipping Priority International. Which based on the rates posted, their shipping rates are right in line to Canada with PRIORITY, not 1st Class!
Maybe they can offer a choice, 1st Class shipping at a lower rate, but no guarantees on delivery - or - pay extra for PRIORITY and a guarantee...

Just my two cents :???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #37  
Stamping is a Hoot!

hmmm living in Australia this will effect me too .... I already considered that Papertrey's postage was dearer than most for what I got ... and to top it off I have to pay for excess packaging ... those clear packages do look nice but it also makes the parcel bulkier which means we pay more .... maybe I will have to rethink purchasing Papertrey's stamps in the future too.

I Design for Elizabeth Craft Designs and Karen Burniston
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckyg416View Post
I clicked this thread by accident, but read it anyway and one thing I noticed from those posting prices for "cheaper" shipping is you are talking about 1st Class mail and in the explaination from PTI, they talk about shipping Priority International. Which based on the rates posted, their shipping rates are right in line to Canada with PRIORITY, not 1st Class!
Maybe they can offer a choice, 1st Class shipping at a lower rate, but no guarantees on delivery - or - pay extra for PRIORITY and a guarantee...

Just my two cents :???:
Yes, I agree. That is what we would like. We had the option of 1st Class at a lower rate or Priority but they have removed the 1st Class option all together. Apparently a few bad apples complained about the whereabouts of their packages and Papertrey could not track those 1st Class packages. So instead of telling those people "too bad, you chose that option" they removed it and are forcing the rest of us to pay more when we were quite content to wait however long 1st Class took to arrive. This way they are removing the chance of complaints due to no tracking but I wonder if they have upset more of us than there were of those complainers. But I am NOT giving up on Papertrey. I just know they will hear us and come up with a solution. I do have a family member and a friend in the US and I could ask them to accept the order for me and forward it from there. It's just something I would prefer not to do but will consider if they are willing. Plus it will end up costing Papertrey to send that package free to the US address whereas sending it to me 1st Class cost them nothing before.

DT Member -Technique Tuesday, Embellish Magazine, Loonie Stampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

The minimum amount to ship to the UK under PTI's new rates is $24.20, (prior to the change it was $11 I think) - that is very steep! I think with the First Class option you could get loads of stuff in a $37 box. I put quite a few things in my cart at PTI to see what the new charges will be like - for around $80 worth of products, the shipping was over $42 - so the shipping was more than half of the product cost!

I know they suggest sharing an order with a friend - and I did that last year - a friend and I placed an order and were happy to share the shipping charges. But then we also got charged approx. �25 ($50) customs charges on top - so sharing a large order isn't always economical either.

With high shipping charges like these, it will be hard to afford purchasing from PTI. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I sure hope that Papertrey is lurking here on this site, like they were last week when there was another discussion with regard to their high shipping charges. They did respond on that thread with why they were charging what they were -- now this week they come up with this solution --- hmmm, I don't care how much I like their product -- other companies are just as nice and much cheaper too. I work WAY too hard for my buck and I'm not going to waste it.
2011 pages Jan 5/10; Feb 4/10; Mar 16/10; Apr 31/10; May 29/10; JUN 15/10; YTD 100/120
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes