Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2020, 05:42 AM   #41
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurl
<View Post>

The other advantage of Airtable (aside from avoiding duplicates, etc.) is that you can cross-reference so easily. Whatever labels you add to that set will pull that set into the search for ANY of those labels. To use Karen's example, the leafy wreath could be tagged: wreath, leaf, Christmas, holly, decor, winter, and a search for any of those tags would bring it up (along with all of the other options with the same tag). Since it's in the Airtable index under manufacturer/set name (if that's how you set it up) you know where it is as long as your storage system reflects your indexing system. If there is a matching/coordinating die, you can cross-index the stamp set to it, as well. Very customizable, user-friendly, and free!

The cross indexing is very appealing. I’d want my stamps to stay in their categories (Leaves, Trees, Geometrics, Animals, etc.) in pockets/bins and not be alphabetical or numbered, as a friend does, since my card making process includes quickly grabbing about 2-6 sets from the same category to look at size, shape, etc. in front of me, some placed on cardstock.

If alphabetized or numbered I’d have to first look up Leaves, for example, in AirTable, then pull from 2-6 locations, then file back into 2-6 places, instead of just plunking the 2-6 back into their category.

But my real question is how would it work omitting major stamps. IOW, my big leaf sets are all together. There’s no need to go to a computer first to look for them. But I’d like to be able to quickly locate little auxiliary stamps in a set. The dots or stars or multiple sentiments or shapes... And I won’t split up sets.

Maybe a paper catalog for the “littles” is the answer, since I would like to see exact size, font, look. It’s just a lot of work. Maybe do another purge first to have less work.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #42
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

AirTable is online, and accessible from any computer. Apps are available for both Android and iOS.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #43
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much for the information. I will check it out sometime when I have clear time and a clear mind.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #44
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579
<View Post>

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans
<<>>

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579
<<>>

I would put it in the drawer with texture stamps with all of those that are dots, splotches, splatters, etc.

I could be wrong but thought she was thinking of tags for AirTable? If not, my answer to her should be ignored.

Sorry, I'm not even the least familiar with AirTable. I'll have to look into it. Is it available for Mac?

Yes, it’s available - it’s a database. Here’s a chart with differences between mobile apps and desktop - some functions are not available for apps, but the power users like Sue could explain more:

https://support.airtable.com/hc/en-u...s-of-Airtable-
Old 07-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

Wow! Thanks again. I will really have to look into this. Just so I know going in, would this be a good way to access a particular card I have in my documents, or maybe switch that information over to Airtable, so I could find what I'm looking for via tags?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #46
Proud Fan Club Member

Lydia (UnderstandBlue) has a video on her blog showing what it is and how to use it - that's how I found out about it. Here's the YouTube video:

Old 07-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks ever so much. So sad I'm so computer illiterate, but I'm going to give it a go.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #48
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAP99<View Post>
Speaking of tags, how would you tag this stamp?
<>

All I can think of is smudge, but can anyone come up with something better?

Roxanne

Background stamp.

When I did a lot of card fronts for publishing, I kept all the brand stamps together in cardboard shoe boxes. A girlfriend was amazed that I could remember which stamp was what brand, but now that I don't publish my card creations anymore since my favorite stamping magazine went out of business, I usually just categorize my stamps in general themes in clamshell pencil boxes or in the case of my Mary Engelbreit rubber stamps, I began stashing them in her clamshell letter tins that are yellow and says on top "She Who Laughs Lasts." I buy those whenever I see them at thrift stores and I have about 5 so far. And then the company that I designed for - Posh Rubber Stamps, made cling stamp on cling boards. Dee Gruenig put them into wide 3 ring binders, but that was too unwieldy for me - hard to lug around to stamping parties, so I went and bought some plastic file folder boxes with handles on the lids and that worked much better. And I could stack them. I've also added pocket folders of single sling stamps in them too.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe splotch, background effect, grunge. Not sure how specific/general you need to be.