Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2005, 05:09 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted for help choosing an Upline

I everyone, and yes, I'm going to sign on as a Demo by the end of next week or before, and could use your thoughts and exeperience in choosing an upline.

I have done some stamping several years ago and use SU (ordered from a demo by email and no I idea if she's still active), but have never been to an actaul SU anything. Anyway I've decided to sign on. I've contacted a girl who is a demo on a yahoo scrapbooking site I belong to, and she sent me the videos and paperwork to look over but she is a long distance away from me so we wouldn't ever be getting together. She is a hobbiest, really friendly, and open and I will be a hobbiest as well starting out but if the opportunity arrises, yes I will do workshops, camps and the whole nine yards but as it stands now, I'll be making up my own orders to stay active. She is also part of a yahoo group of other demos all from this state, although her upline did move out of state. Yet, I've located another demo (50 miles away) through the locator, emailed her and I'm attending her big wirkshop this next weekend.

She is active and has 3 active demo's in her first line, and appears to be succesful and active. I've asker her a few questions as to how she got started but didn't say anything yet about signing myself as I wanted to check her out first hand prior to doing so, to se if I feel comfortable with and around her (KWIM, we've only shared emails thus far, same as demo mentioned earlier). If I did sign with her, I know she's close enough to get together quite frequently and be able to learn new techniques first hand etc etc, and I'm sure I could continue to attend her workshops etc etc. Also her upline is from Florida (Wished it was this weekend, as the next week will seem like forever)

Okay now from your experience and suggestions which would you choose, or what would you do? Open to any and all suggestions.

And most importantly Thanks for being here! This is a great group!

EDIT
PS Please overlook typos as I have new nails and find typing funny with them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you feel comfortable with someone long distance I say go for the one you know better. I too am signing up with someone who lives 4 hours away. I know 3 demos who live within an hour of me and I am not going with any of them because I don't think they will offer me the kind of encouragement I need. I am super excited and can't wait to start. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I signed up just this past Monday. I'm in TX & my upline is in WI. I wasn't sure about the long distance issue, but I'm confident it will be fine. My upline is very involved in SU & (this website). She offers a lot of help & incentives for signing up. I plan to sell SU as a hobby, and my upline knows this and is willing to help me out completely whether I do this as a hobby or business. If you want her name, send me a private message and I will give you all her info.

BTW, I also ordered from some one local, and she sent me the sign up info., but deicded not to sign with her because I was so impressed with my upline's skills & dedication to her downlines. Oh, and I also have never met the local demo.

Sign with whom you feel comfortable with!

~angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:42 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

If you think you may take it further than a hobby demo, I would wait and see how the more local demo (50 miles is local? anyone closer?) is. I think you will want some who ican guide you and support you and who is local.

Ask how she supports her downline! That is SOOOO important. Imagine if you go to the next level, you will want to meet with someone for business advice, swaps, to learn techniques, etc.

Once you meet the more local demo, ask how can she help get your business started? You can become more than a hobby demo, if you choose to, start with an open house. Invite everyone you know and incourage them to bring friends (those friends of friends will end up being the way to build a base). Will your upline help you plan the open house, will she be there, helping you book workshops (she can go around asking everyone if they would book a workshop to help you get started, which is easier than you doing it). Can she help you plan an economical open house (regarding make and takes) and economical workshops without being shoddy? Will she help you with ideas for stamp camps, etc? Will she have continuous support for you?

My cousin is no longer a demo (she does not live near me, so did not sign up under my wonderful upline), bcs her upline's upline sucked and it just trickled down. She did not know how to get her base growing and she did not have much guidance, and she just was not buying $300/quarter for herself.

I sent my paperwork in Monday and from what I heard, Stampin' Up! provides help, but I need help right here too...which thankfully, my upline is WONDERFUL and has done all the above! She is creative and very business savy. If it were not for her, I do not think I would have the confidence to actually go out and do this...she is my stampin' mentor. She definitely made me want to make the plunge and I feel confident doing so bcs of her guidance...

[email protected]

"The joys of parents are secret, and so are their griefs and fears"

-Frances Bacon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Definately sign with the one who lives closer and already has an active downline.

She probably has monthly downline meetings which are usually fun and very helpful for new demos (even hobby demos).

What if you decide to make your business grow? It will be invaluable to have an experienced demo close by to help you get started.

Active uplines can be very generous with their time and advice. My upline and sidelines lend each other stamps or supplies if one of us is in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #6  
Cupcake Queen

My upline is in VA and I am in AZ. SHe has monthly meetings, and she sends me "minutes" of the meetings and also all projects that they completed and swaps from that month so I can be at them still. She is awesome! See what the one who is far away is willing to do to make it work! My demo is great!
Reply With Quote Likes