Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation Write Home and other tax donation questions`

Not sure where to put this but I just got my annual receipt from Operation Write Home on the cards I donated to them in 2010.

Does anyone have a clue what the IRS sees as reasonable per card to write off as a donation amount for this?

Any help would be wonderful!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually write off $3.00 per card for all the organizations I donate too. It seems fair to me.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I, too, figure $3.00 per card for Operation Write Home. I feel like that is a fair price also. Doesn't it feel good to know our time and talents that we share with others can also be a tax deduction! An added bonus...but I'd do it even if I couldn't deduct the costs. It's definitely a good feeling to give of oneself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I get the deduction form from a couple avenues I supply..it is always a very large amount every year. It makes up for the cards I send to the troops that there is no deduction for but LOTS of satisfaction in knowing there are a lot of smiles in every box I send.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

we can't deduct for the cards sent to operation write home? i didn't know that, wonder why they send out the statements then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, you can deduct for the cards sent to Operation Write Home. Just send Sandy an e-mail if you are unsure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I didn't know you could either. I may need to look into that as I do send several a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Technically, you cannot deduct anything for your time. So, if that $3 is including a price on your time, you should not deduct it. Just like you would not take a deduction if you went and volunteered your time at a local homeless shelter. The IRS values things a lot lower than what most people think is reasonable, so be careful. They also require that you keep a record of the items donated, so you should have a record of the paper used, etc. That way you have proof of what the materials used cost. Chances are the IRS will never question it, but if they do, the burden of proof is on you to come up with the records. (ok, I have obviously had too much tax training in the last 2 weeks because I sound like I swallowed the IRS codes - better go stamp so brain returns to normal)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:07 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
Technically, you cannot deduct anything for your time. So, if that $3 is including a price on your time, you should not deduct it. Just like you would not take a deduction if you went and volunteered your time at a local homeless shelter. The IRS values things a lot lower than what most people think is reasonable, so be careful. They also require that you keep a record of the items donated, so you should have a record of the paper used, etc. That way you have proof of what the materials used cost. Chances are the IRS will never question it, but if they do, the burden of proof is on you to come up with the records. (ok, I have obviously had too much tax training in the last 2 weeks because I sound like I swallowed the IRS codes - better go stamp so brain returns to normal)
I understand what you're saying and you've have much more training in this than I have. I know that the IRS doesn't allow you to deduct the value of your time. But the IRS does allow a deduction for the "fair market value" (FMV) of what is donated, correct? For example, if I donate a pile of lumber, I can only deduct the value of that. But if I turn that pile of lumber into a piece of furniture (like a dresser or a coffee table), I could deduct the FMV of a dresser or coffee table, couldn't I? I'm the one that turned it into furniture, but it's still furniture and has that value to the charity.

You raise an interesting point and it's really a gray area. It's better to be conservative, but I believe Amber (sprtchk) has said she has been audited with no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

We were audited a couple years ago (2 I believe) and all of our deductions stood up to the intense scrutiny of the IRS person. I had all my receipts and everything in perfect order. The IRS agent said he was impressed. We had no issues with our return or the amounts we deducted for donations including the very large amount I have every year for card donations.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes