Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OMG! What do I do?

I feel I want to cry ladies. I was just surfing my local Craigslist and there is a Garage Sale clear on the other side of town that is selling SU sets. Not only that, she even mentions that some are HTF ones. So here is my dilemma. I am a SAHM and I have no income other than what my DH brings in. Work has been slow for him and we just came back from vacation 2 weeks ago. SO should I still ask him for $ so I can drive 45min. through rush hour, taking 4 kids with me, to go see these HTF stamps? My gut says yes because I know he will give it to me, but I feel bad because I know how bad everything is going right now. I don't want to stress him out more than he has been, BUT I really want to go see these stamps. Am I just being selfish? I know some of you ladies know what I am going through so do I open this can of worms or not? He wakes up for work about 5pm today so I have that long to decide if I am going to ask him or not. Hurry up and tell me what to do because it starts tomorrow morning and I have to prepare to get all of us out the door by 8:00am if I decide to go. Thanks for your time in reading this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know the exact sets? Are they ones you really love and will use? Would she hold them for you while you drove over there?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

My husband was laid off from his job almost 3 months ago. It took 2 months for unemployment to start coming ... and now I'm the only one working (supporting 6 people). I earn almost 2x what he does anyway, and I (sometimes) feel cheated because I can't spend my money the way I want.

BUT, you have to decide what you "need" and what you "want". I always spend extra money I have on my 2 daughters. I would rather buy them clothes or something than get something for myself. I haven't had a vacation in YEARS ... I spent 4 days with my older daughter at her college orientation -- some parents dropped their kid off and went on vacation! And it was FOR Parents & Students!

I don't think anyone should tell you how to spend your family's money. That's just my opinion.

Tish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

This is what the ad says:
"Yard Sale on July 3 9AM-3PM & July 4 9AM-Noon. Items for sale include: Stampin UP (I have some hard to find sets); Cricut cartridges; Cuttlebug embossing folders & dies; assorted rubber stamps; embossing powders and stamp pads (Tim Holz); Fastenator and staples; scrapbooks; books; toys; tools; assorted kitchen and holiday items; even some free stuff."

I did not contact her yet because as of right now I have no $. I did not think that was fair to have her write all the stuff down and then I could'nt buy it. That being said, I am curious though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I see you are in Euclid, where are these stamps? I live in NRidgeville, so I might be able to get there for you depending on where they are so you wouldn't have to rush at least...but I would call this lady and make sure they are the ones you want, first, for sure.
As for the $, I can totally understand...I guess it's a matter of how badly you want these stamps, what she's asking for them, and how HTF they really are, KWIM?
Is there anything you can sell off to use the money for the stamps? My neighbor is actually having a garage sale so she can buy more stamps!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

While I was typing I saw you posted again...my thought is, it IS worth her time to tell you what she has, rather than you driving all the way there and then being disappointed, KWIM? She probably just didn't want to list them all on the Craig'sList. Plus, if there's anything really good and you decide NOT to buy, you could post it here for others and give her some free publicity.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I would definitely call her first and see if they are ones that you want. And say they are, maybe she'd let you come out tonight so you didn't have to deal with rush hour...As for the $$, maybe try and only get a few of the stamp sets that you want rather than all of them. Of, if you can cut back in a different area this month to get these stamps (like eating out or entertainment), do that...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I would email her and ask her what sets she has and the prices for them. I would not want to take the time to go out there and spend the money on gas if she doesn't have anything that you would be interested in or could afford. If she wants the chance to sell them I am sure she will take the time to let you know what she has.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I'm probably going to get slammed here but I don't think you should ask your hubby for $ for the stamp sets. If money is that tight, and it is with a lot of people these days, you have better things to spend your money on than stamps. yes it would be nice to treat yourself but you said you just got back from vacation, so that was a treat for you. So don't ask your hubby for the $ and instead spend it on something you NEED, not want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesmomView Post
I'm probably going to get slammed here but I don't think you should ask your hubby for $ for the stamp sets. If money is that tight, and it is with a lot of people these days, you have better things to spend your money on than stamps. yes it would be nice to treat yourself but you said you just got back from vacation, so that was a treat for you. So don't ask your hubby for the $ and instead spend it on something you NEED, not want.
I have to agree with her, sorry! I'd say stay home and save some $.

Remember that the new catalog comes out in a month and a half. There will probably be things that you want in there more than somebody's old retired stuff.

Besides, if she knows that her sets are "hard to find", then she knows what they can go for and won't be that much of a bargain, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

i probably wouldnt say anything or ask. but thats just me. if you really want to, go! but i agree, make it as easy on yourself as you can, call her, see what she's got, and how much, vs. the $ and time to drive out there in the first place. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I also would not buy the stamps. Stamps are not as important as your hubby's sanity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Besides, if she knows that her sets are "hard to find", then she knows what they can go for and won't be that much of a bargain, right?
This was my thinking too (although I understand your curiosity and intrigue!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

nottoocreative- the sale is in Old Brooklyn. PM me or look on Craigslist under arts & crafts for the address.

I did email her and asked which SU sets were for sale, so hopefully she gets back to me.

jinglesmom- I would not slam you, your just stating the facts. That is what the little voice in the back of my head says too. I'm just not sure I want to listen to it which is why I feel torn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Definitely find out what she has AND how much she wants. If there are hard to find sets but she's asking for a lot, then you can skip it without feeling like you're missing out.

If she does have good prices, then you at least have enough info to make a decision.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I have to agree with her, sorry! I'd say stay home and save some $.

Remember that the new catalog comes out in a month and a half. There will probably be things that you want in there more than somebody's old retired stuff.

Maybe I'm just overly skeptical, but I've seen too many eBay auctions where folks said that stamps were "retired" or "rare" and it simply wasn't true -- they were just trying to get more traffic/bids for their listings. I'd be sure to call ahead and insist on knowing what stamp sets she had before burning $15 worth of gas just to get there and back.

To the OP: If I were in your position, I'd start saving my pennies now and wait the 5 1/2 short weeks till the new catty starts -- like Krystie said, I'm sure there will be TONS in there that will excite you much more than someone's hand-me-down sets! It'll make hubby happier, too, if you can show some restraint and be patient, and he probably wouldn't stress nearly as much about it than he would if you asked him now, right after getting back from a trip.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I would definitely find out what stamps she has. I see alot of Ebay auctions that put hard to find in the description when in fact they are not hard to find and sometimes current.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Seriously.. Stay home. If it causes so much anxiety to make the decision to buy, I would say don't buy. Instead wait it out. I'm sure this sale is probably not even worth the 45 minute trip. If they are advertising that their stamps are hard to find, then they probably think it's worth a lot and will probably have them priced accordingly.

Instead, I would make a list of the sets that you LOVE and buy a little here and a little there. There are always great sets for sale here and you're bound to come across a good deal later on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I totally know how you are feeling. I was in the same boat a few years back. I would hold off for now. Like it's been mentioned before, the new catalog is coming out and you might see something that you like there. HTF doesn't always mean HTF.

Stay home, have a fun time with the kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how they should handle their family's budget.

But, from what you've described, I'm betting you already know the answer that's best for your family overall . . .

Stamps will always be around . . . ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

**hugs**!!! I can totally relate -- I get absolutely obsessed about rubber stamping items, to the point where I get absolutely beside myself. Back in the days of milk and honey/money I would handle my fixation by going out and buying whichever item I was obsessed about asap. But, these days we are on a very tight budget and I work through my fixations by talking things over with my DH. In your shoes, I would have a talk with your DH asap (can you guys have a 20 minute talk before he has to get ready for work tonight?). Try not to make it about asking for permission/money or putting him in the position where he has to say yea or nay; just say, "Honey, this is what's going on and this is how I feel about it". That's what I do with my DH and he really helps me get to a place where I can let go of my fixation and feel happy with my decision.

We had a two-week vacation in May and then I got laid off shortly after we got back, so we are really in a tight spot financially right now. But, we still have our spending money in our monthly budget because both of our sanity is important.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I am in the same situation as you, so dont feel bad. It's hard, but I rather do what the others are telling you...call or email her for a list of items and how much she wants them for then decide. Otherwise, you'll waste your gas like my sister did in Colorado..She drove an hour for a SU garage sale that wasn't worth the price because the lady who was selling them, didn't come down on the price at all. The other thing, don't even look at Craigslist.

I'm probably no help at all, because when we are tight my dh still gets me things. But I am really trying not to spend anything on stamp supplies this month.

Good luck!

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Sending hugs for you as I can "hear" your anxiety over spending issues. Just the fact that you would post here tells me that you know you probably shouldn't spend the money on these stamps. I am an impulsive buyer if I think I am getting a bargain, so I have to try to stay off eBay, Craig's list and places like that. Good for you, that you stopped to think this out before you asked your DH or just drove over there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Thank you all for your opinions. You are all right in one way or another. I was sitting here thinking "how can I make this work?" For a minute in time I had a plan. I am taking my kids to the Zoo tomorrow which is not that far from the garage sale so if I just left earlier I could hit the sale before the zoo and not waste gas driving back and forth. Then my cellphone rang and I looked and here today is only July 1, not the 2nd. My plan is foiled . I can't change the zoo date because we are meeting other people there. The sale is July 3 & 4.
The story of my life "A day late and a dollar short". (in this case though-a day early and still a dollar short) LOL. Oh well. Unless she gets back to me and tells me she has Scouts at Play I guess I won't go. I really REALLY want that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Not to enable...but I'd just keep watching eBay. I see they have that stamp set for $0.99 + $5 for S&H right now, still a few days left on the auction, but you never know. I've won several retired stamp sets in the past few weeks and only had to pay over $10 for two of them. So you might get lucky and get it for cheap! Or maybe someone would be willing to swap you that set for one of yours...or send you some images??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

By all means, don't torture yourself or your family over possible HTF sets. If you can contact her ahead of time, go for it, see what she has and the prices. Otherwise, pass. There WILL be other opportunities. HTF means nothing to some people and I'd feel so badly if you were disappointed after going through so much grief. Remember ... it's supposed to be fun.. and the "hunt" can be - but it doesn't sound like it is for you right now. ((( warm hugs )))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

She just emailed me back. Here's what it says:
Hi Sarah!

I only have 18 sets for sale, so it may not be worth
your time. Here's what I have:

$10
Merry Minis
Tricky Treats
Infinite Goodness
Polka Dots & Paisley
Be Happy
Little Pieces

$7
Festive Fall & wheel
Animal Valentines
Simply the Best
Aged to Perfection

$5
Happiest of Holidays
Lexicon of Love
Happy Hearts
Noteworthy
Best Bar Codes
Handle With Care

$3
Around the Block
Festive Four

Thanks & have a great day.

~Traci

So I guess I am not going. Oh well, I didn't have any money anyway and now I don't feel all that bad since there was nothing I can't live without.

Thank you again ladies-Just for being there and letting me know that I'm not alone in how I feel. Big Hugs to all of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Ummm, I don't really have an opinion but your original post says the sale starts tomorrow morning, and the ad says July 3rd & 4th - that's Thursday and Friday. Wouldn't it have been awful if you'd driven across town tomorrow and the sale hadn't started? Yikes! Good luck with your decision.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

In these days of tight budgets, I'd have to say... skip the sale & join the WishRAK subforum of the RAK forum here & start trading images. Then you can save up for the sets you absolutely have to have...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I know how it is to get the urge for some new stamps!!! How about picking a few sets that you would really like to get & ask your fellow SCS'ers for some stamped images to play with? You might even decide that you don't want a certain set after all, or you would be assured that you would really love a set before buying it. I don't have a huge amount of SU stamps, but if I had any you were looking for I would be willing to send you an envie full of stamped images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad the lady got back to you and let you know which sets she had, AND that there wasn't anything you really wanted. Its hard when money is tight and I learned that lesson well a couple years ago when my husband hurt himself at work and couldn't work for a year. I still have a hard time figuring out the difference between and want and a need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

I would say none of these are hard to find

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMama1204View Post
Hi Sarah!

$10
Merry Minis
Tricky Treats
Infinite Goodness
Polka Dots & Paisley
Be Happy
Little Pieces

$7
Festive Fall & wheel
Animal Valentines
Simply the Best
Aged to Perfection

$5
Happiest of Holidays
Lexicon of Love
Happy Hearts
Noteworthy
Best Bar Codes
Handle With Care

$3
Around the Block
Festive Four

~Traci

So I guess I am not going. Oh well, I didn't have any money anyway and now I don't feel all that bad since there was nothing I can't live without.

Thank you again ladies-Just for being there and letting me know that I'm not alone in how I feel. Big Hugs to all of you.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I wouldn't presume to tell anyone else how they should handle their family's budget.

But, from what you've described, I'm betting you already know the answer that's best for your family overall . . .

Stamps will always be around . . . ;)

I have to agree with Julie. I think your fretting over something that is "Unknow" You don't know what she has or how much she is asking or even if you'll like them.

Not to mention, alot of people selling things say "Hard to Find" or "Retired" or even "Extreemly Rare" when in all actuality they are readily available and they don't want you to have time to search around for a better price on it. Saying those words makes people want to jump on an item even if they really don't need it. :rolleyes:

Save your money right now. Do some research into stamps sets, aquire a list of must haves and then....start searching for the best deals.

Thats only my 2 cents....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Hi Sarah!

$10
Merry Minis
Tricky Treats
Infinite Goodness
Polka Dots & Paisley
Be Happy
Little Pieces

$7
Festive Fall & wheel
Animal Valentines
Simply the Best
Aged to Perfection

$5
Happiest of Holidays
Lexicon of Love
Happy Hearts
Noteworthy
Best Bar Codes
Handle With Care

$3
Around the Block
Festive Four

~Traci

So, are none of these sets you want? If you DO want some, maybe you could barter with her... Maybe an hour of babysitting for $X worth of stamps... And work it out so you can get the sets you want....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

boy o' boy I type to slow. LOL You got the same answer before I could post. :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Quote:

Hi Sarah!

$10
Merry Minis
Tricky Treats
Infinite Goodness
Polka Dots & Paisley
Be Happy
Little Pieces

$7
Festive Fall & wheel
Animal Valentines
Simply the Best
Aged to Perfection

$5
Happiest of Holidays
Lexicon of Love
Happy Hearts
Noteworthy
Best Bar Codes
Handle With Care

$3
Around the Block
Festive Four

~Traci

I just saw your post, so I'm glad you got your answer I, too, have raced to sales thinking there would be a "wow" factor when there was, actually, a "dud" factor, lol. So at least you have your answer. In relation to spending money and monies being tight, I have to say I'm in agreement with waiting rather than spending. But one way to look at it would have been had this lady HAD great sets for sale and you would have been able to buy them, you could have always used them for resale value if you sell. They could have been a source of income, too. Just something to think about. I treasure my stamp sets, but I know that I have read people saying "must sell, need to sell" and it's a way to make some revenue. Just my .2c
Best wishes and blessings,

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Having been in your position, and reading through all of the posts, I was thinking that I bet you are relived you didnt jump the gun and ask already since it turned out to be nothing you wanted :cool: (at least I would be) (and just think of the gas money you just saved)

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes