Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Oldies but Goodies..

I don't know if I am in the minority or not, but I have been more interested in stuff I have had in the past then most of the newer trends. I see a few new things I like, but I never got the chance to use a lot of the stuff I've had for years. In fact, I've been flipping through my cricut books looking at things I can use with my Expression. I am one of the "Old School" chicks that refuses to buy anymore electronic die cutting machines, and I dont' want to have to hook it up with a computer.I don't really get into trends, and I just like what I like. If I happen to get something newer, it is because I like it, and not because it's the newest style. I need to focus on using what I have and being more frugal. I figure, who knows what the future is going to hold, so I need to be more careful with money. I fell off the wagon yesterday, but we won't go there! When I see something I like, I am trying to ask myself if I have something similar that would do about the same thing, and many times, I can say yes. That's not to say I don't want an occasional treat, but I need to be more selective and minimal.
I wondered if I stopped subscribing to company blogs and certain sites if that would help me have better control with the "I want It" Monster!
What is your focus and what do you like?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
DianeinSparks, shirlb19 and bjeans like this post.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Compulsive Stamper

I too like all of my old stamps that I've had for years.  The newer ones generally don't appeal to me.  I try to use up the supplies I have which could supply me for many months.  I send out a lot of cards and those people don't know or care if the stamps are the newest ones or not.

Once in a while I "fall off the wagon" too but try not to do it very often.
lutheran and hoptownracer1 like this post.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoptownracer1, that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve stayed away from subscribing to stamp companies but I imagine unsubscribing would be helpful.
To help keep me from buying new stamps I’ve started a self challenge to use all my stamps, from A-Z. We loved them when we bought them, right?
I’ve never been one to be on trend so like you, that’s not an issue. I’ll treat myself with new cs and revisit some old techniques to stay fresh. I’m still in the “a’s” with just two more sets to go before I get into the “b’s”. Feel free to come join me!
lutheran, hoptownracer1 and wavejumper like this post.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
Gabfest Goddess

This is the time of year I use all my oldies but goodies.  I use fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas stamps and dies that I have had for years.   I try to use new layouts and colors and embellishments so the cards don't look like last year's but themes like snow, holly, leaves and Nativity scenes are classics.  It doesn't make sense to buy a new set with a style or theme I already have just because it's new.  
Mary Beth
hoptownracer1 likes this post.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

Honestly I've been mainly uninspired by new products. It's funny but there are a ton of older stamps I'd like to get but not so much any new stuff. Maybe because I've been at this hobby for over 15 years, thing are being repetitive and then I often prefer the original versions more. My opinion is a beautiful stamp or classic die never really goes out of style.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

Thank you all for your input!  It really helps!  I think it is best if I just do my own thing and not worry about trends.  I did break down and buy a roll of foil that was marked way down at Hobby Lobby and one of those foil pens to try it out.  The price on the foil was good, so I wondered if I should buy more than one, but I thought I had better just get one, as I need to try it first and not go hog wild.  Well, I am so happy I just bought one.  The foil is not my thing!  It gives me something to piddle with, but I don't think I will be buying any more.  I like the foil card stock/paper, but not the foil for foiling.  And I am not buying all those gadgets and stuff to use with it.  I am really happy for those that do and have fun with it, but I just don't think it's my thing.  I feel that way about quite a few things actually.   But I think I can get a similar look; not exact, with embossing powders.  
I can relate to what you are saying about being in it for so long, that we've seen a lot of similar stuff.  I like the classic stuff also; although, I will occasionally like something that is a new style.  

Old 09-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Well for starters, a lot of the "new gadgets" are really just new, easier ways to do stuff we already were. Like the stamp platforms vs the Thing-a-ma-jig. Electronic die machines vs hand crank. Kind of like going to automatic in a car when you used to drive stick. (yes I know, some people prefer stick...and some people prefer to craft old school) 

I expect this is a natural evolution. At first when everything is new to you, you are running all around wanting to see and touch and play...over time....how many flowers can you own? 

Having said that...I am drawn to new things to me like glow in the dark EP. Unusual stamp images. It isn't that the new things are not cute-but I have a lot of cute. 

I was thinking how odd it is I am not attracted to anything so far from Stamptember. First time. Though I am to some other items at the mfgs. so I know I know my "shopping gene" isn't broken LOL I did get some hybrid inks at MFTs big sale today in neutral colors. I dawdled so long about it the CS I was thinking about sold out. I have a wishlist. Some stuff is years old. I will go after that often before new. 

I think it sounds like a PERFECT idea to shop your own stash. My thing now is to try to use every stamp to make at least 4-5 cards so I feel like I broke even (had I gone out and bought them). There are a bazillion techniques. I lean towards guilt so this eliminates that. 

Good on you to resist getting more than one foil till you decided if you even liked it! There will be good deals again...but now you know you don't care!  
hoptownracer1 and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #8
Pearl-ExPert

I'm finding that a lot of the new stamps are not my thing - too simple compared to all the old stamps I have - some 20+ years old and very complex compared to a lot of today's stamps, especially the clear stamps.  I've bought very few stamp sets because of this and also because of the increased size of stamp sets and the increased price.  I don't need all the little extra stamps in the sets like hearts, stars, thank you and others since I have tons of them already; and I don't want to spend almost $25 for a stamp set and much more for the coordinating dies so I'm extra picky about what I'll be buying. 
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

I agree!  It seems like a lot of the newer stamps are more simple.  I guess with so much out there it would be hard to come up with new designs, and they have to come up with new stuff so often.  
I think it is going to feel very freeing to unsubscribe to the different company's sites.  I won't be comparing my cards to the designs on their sites.  And it will hopefully help me to appreciate what I already have!