Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #81
Stazon Splitcoast

I have also gotten stamps I bought from ebay that were full of ink. I just used TAC stamp cleaner and they looked good as new.
I always clean my stamps when I am done with it. I use many different colors though and don't want my pads getting other ink colors ob them. I am actually kind of picky about mine being clean though. I do have old tooth brushes that I use for the small areas. But I don't care at all if the wood inked.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #82
Crimping Master

LOL! I must be tired...when I read this thread title, I briefly thought of stamps about people not washing, like for making a card to delicately tell someone to go take a shower. I had a big project for work today, and my brain is fried! Okay, sorry for the mental detour...resume your regularly scheduled thread.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #83
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Not Cleaning Stamps????

I must be a clean freak, too. I always clean my stamps after using them. I think it keeps the rubber better conditioned. As an aside, I just umt'ed my stamps and posted them for the first grabber to take them off my hands. I felt sooo bad at the thought of not cleaning my wood blocks before sending them to the buyer, that I cleaned all the sticky goo off the rubber before sending them out. Yes, I'm a little **** about that

I recently bought a set from someone here and the seller indicated that she used the set quite well (ie stained). When I received it, not only did I have to clean the stamp with StazOn cleaner, but the rubber on some seemed somewhat dry. I hope the cleaner conditions the rubber a bit and prevents further drying out of the rubber.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #84
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I am compulsive about cleaning my stamps, I have even cought myself cleaning a stamp between uses and I am using it over and over and usually with the same ink pad. I don't think I could go to sleep at night if I didn't clean one of my stamps. They have cost alot of money and I would hate to have them get recked because I can't take the two seconds out of my stamping time to clean them up so they are ready for the next time I need them. I am glad that you were able to get your new stamp cleaned up so you can use it, maybe any one that selles stamps on eBay should read this and take the couple of seconds to clean there stamps off before selling them.
I clean my stamps compulsively as well. I even do it between uses even when I am using the same stamp again in a few minutes. I hate stained stamps even if it doesn't affect the iimage. When mine get too stained, I do a cleaning with diluted Simple Green.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #85
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiddielitterView Post
LOL! I must be tired...when I read this thread title, I briefly thought of stamps about people not washing, like for making a card to delicately tell someone to go take a shower. I had a big project for work today, and my brain is fried! Okay, sorry for the mental detour...resume your regularly scheduled thread.
Too funny! That's pretty realistic though! You never know what you'll discover on these threads! With stamping, there are no limits!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 AM   #86
Polyshrink Goddess

I always have to clean my stamps. If the rubber is stained with ink, that is fine, but I do not like for there to be actual ink on the stamp.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #87
Kookie Creator

Talking don't clean at conventions

I have attended a couple conventions a year, stamping or scrapbooking. Some of the demo people never clean their stamps. These are proffessionals. When asked why not, the lady told me because she likes the way her stamps stamp with the multi layers of different ink. She than told us how a helper cleaned all her stamps "YESTERDAY" and now they don't have the interesting color effect. I think the stamps were solid image stamps and not outline stamps.

I think it depends on the effect you want how much you clean your stamps.

Enjoy them.

Betty_s_k
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #88
Matboard Maniac

Gosh, I am going to stick my neck out here and I'm new and I hope it's Ok to say this but I can't help feeling that an interesting discussion about how we, as human beings are all different, is verging on being a bit unkind and rude. Ok, you can say, read another thread, and I'll be off in a mo, I just have to say this. to read personal comments I found unexpected to be honest, I always liked this forum as seemed to be really nice and respectful of one another.

The overwhelming feeling i get, as an observer, is that it seems that unbeknown to me, stamp cleaning is a highly emotional subject and (also unbeknown to me), ther is actually a RIGHT way and a VERY WRONG way of dealing with stamps that after all are not library books but personal possessions. If I bought clothing for example off ebay and it was stained i would be very cross as stained clothing is useless and worthless. Stained stamps are in my view, used stamps. Yes, I would expect them to be cleaned prior to sending as a courtesy, not as an obligation though, used stamps are never going to be perfect and I'm a bit 'Monky' myself anyway and clean everything that comes into mu house anyway!!

I sell the odd thing on ebay but i don't buy stuff thinking of future selling potential. I'm a hobby stamper (think that's how it's termed!). When clutter becomes too overwhelming I try to sell/donate stuff I'll never use again/ever, but if I get ink on the wood, well, in the whole scheme of things, Iraq, Darfur, flooding, starving people etc, ink on a stamp isn't surely at the top, nor bottom, of anyones priorities and real concerns.

If I clean a stamp, i do (and I do actually, I just do it without thinking), if Tim Holtz doesn't, then fine..why on earth do I care? Whether Tim Holtz gets some sort of employee to clean his stamps is of no concern to me, it makes no difference to anyone. I don't know the man, but he seems a very decent man and the idea of him having a special stamp cleaner is hilarious!! I just can't see it! We (thank goodness) do live in the free world, Tim Holtz is an amazing and highly successful man and frankly the idea that once, when he first started stamping and was 'poor' he cleaned his stamps and now, he uses them once then throws them away or doesn't care as 'hey there's plenty more where that came from' is arguably a bit rude. Why criticise his success which is what in essence is happening?

Oh, dear. I'm certain to have offended everyone (apart from Tim Holtz!). I don't mean to but I want to enjoy reading posts not feel uncomfortable as people are 'outed' for inky stamps!!!

If you're 'obsessive' about cleaning stamps, good on you, if you're not, good on you. Isn't stamping supposed to be enjoyable and more about avoiding doing the housework than feeling inadequate over inky stamps??
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #89
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
hmmm....since I was outed recently on someone's blog (..cough, cough..Mel!) so..........I will confess....I dont clean my stamps. (GASP!)
I ONLY clean them if I use a funky color and then only wipe it off. Sometimes I clean by background stamps because I am always changing the colors on them and I dont want the ink to mix....otherwise...NOPE!

Since I generally use brilliance black ink, I just let it sit....I know (a lot of you are cringing) but I actually get better images that way--with the ink providing a nice surface for more ink to stick.

That being said, IF I were ever to sell my stamps, I would clean them thorougly and also let anyone know if there are any stains.

I always knew I liked Cammie!