Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default to be or not to be a SU demo?

Hello everyone, I have been debating with myself as to, if I should sign up as a SU demo or not. I'm really stuck with this decision.
Here is a few of my dilemmas
1) can I still work as a retailer at a LSS?
2) I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with my non-SU product.
think that is about it...
please help with my decision, I think this is the "best" time to sign up, right? please share your experience with me, big decision and I know there are many "seasoned" SU demos out there whom I could use advice from ...thank in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi there. I would call demo support and ask about the lss thing but I believe you can. I still work at Michael's and haven't had any problems. I also still have and still buy non SU! product. I haven't had much success as far as getting regular customers and such so I'm pretty much a hobby demo at this point so I buy what I like SU! or not. Sometimes it does get hard to make mins by myself but I have had a couple of small orders. It all depends on how you want to run your business or just be a hobby demo. The rules are the same for business or hobby. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me and I'll help as much as possible. I do love it! and Yes, now is a really great time to sign up!! HTH
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

Well I can answer some of your questions...

1) You can still work in a LSS...you just can't have a vested interest in it - ALA being a part owner...you also can not be a part of any other business that sells the same items as SU...

2) No one says you have to give up your Non-SU stuff...I have plenty of non-SU stuff...the only stipulation is if you are presenting yourself as a SU demo - say at a workshop then you need to use current SU products only...but if you are making stuff yourself use whatever you would like...I use all sorts of other stuff - I do participate in some SU demo swaps so I know I have All SU cards on hand to show my customers....

And you are right - now is an EXCELLENT time to sign up - with a free stamp set of your choice from the IB&C PLUS $20 off the starter kit...you do get to customize your kit as well...if you wait until March 1st you can choose sets from the Occassions Mini to substitute if you would like (equal or lesser value)

Once you buy the starter kit - if you decide that you really don't want to buy anything else you don't have to do a thing...but yet you have over $300 in SU products - so you haven't "lost" any money...Plus if you do decided Hey I would like more - you do get an extra 10% bonus for your first $150+ order you place within 45 days of becoming a demo.

By signing up in March you would have until the end of June to sell $300 of products in order to stay active...

Last edited by Jenmouer; 02-21-2008 at 06:50 AM..
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

It's actually 20% off the kit, so it's $40 off! Awesome deal on its own, but even better with the free set!

And you wouldn't need to give up your non-SU product, you just couldn't demonstrate it at a workshop if you decided to go that route.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah, what the heck. go for it if you love the stuff and can afford it!
Old 02-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Insane Embellisher

Default ok great advice, I close to diving in...

what is the difference between a hobby demo and a regular demo? are the min orders defferent?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

No, SU doesn't differentiate. It's $300 per quarter. People are just called "hobby" if they mostly buy for themselves.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappychicaView Post
what is the difference between a hobby demo and a regular demo? are the min orders defferent?
There's no difference in minimums.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Die Cut Diva

No difference in hobby vs demo minimums. It's just what we call ourselves... Some people do SU as a business and run it as such. Others just do it for the discount. As long as you keep up your minimum you stay active and have the discount. Obviously, the more you do, the more perks you get. The starter kit and addt'l stamp set is a super deal right now! You're really not 'losing' anything if you sign up. You get a slew of things for the price and if you don't stay active, it's no big deal!

"The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it." ~Charles Swindoll
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappychicaView Post
No the minimums are the same. There really is no difference, except that those that call themselves Hobby Demos usually make their own minimums, while a 'regular demo' does workshops or stamp camps or holds classes.
HTH
Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Rubber Obsessor

Default You'll Love It!

Do it! You'll love it! Worse case scenario...if it is not for you...you keep all the fabulous stampin' supplies that you got at a terrific bargain
Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Insane Embellisher

wow, you ladies are fabulous! thank you for the inspiration to do this. I may be bugging you for more advice and courage to get this rolling.....
I would like to get more peolple involved in "crafting" and I DO love SU!
I sent an email to my SU rep on what the next step is since I've decided to do this, hope to hear from her soon.