Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not exactly a CASE, not really an original...

I take a lot of brilliant ideas from the wonderful artists here on SCS, the gallery, blogs and other internet resources. I print the photos of the work that I adore and sift through them once a week, marking my ideas, what I love, what I could change / substitute, etc. Then, when I'm ready to sit down and work on cards, I have tons of ideas in front of me.

Sometimes, I take ideas from several cards to use on one of my cards, sometimes I use the layout idea but use different paper, stamps, embellies, etc. Rarely do I completely CASE a card down to the last detail...mostly because I don't always have the same tools/products as the original creator.

My point is, if it's not really CASED but parts of the card are not original, what should I call it when I post it in my gallery (or wherever)? I'm not thrilled about the idea of keeping track of what idea came from whom but I always feel a little guilty when I upload a card that has some borrowed ideas. Of course, if it was a complete case or even more than a 50% CASE, I would totally give credit to a specific person.

What would you do?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

I would make a note that it was inspired by so and so's work. Feelings don't get hurt and you've covered your bases.

I don't think you need to link to four cards that helped you work out pieces of your final product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I agree. I usually say that I was "inspired by" this or that card and then list the one that inspired me the most. If there's a second card with something really unusual on it that I used, I might mention it specifically, too, but that's a very rare instance. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'd just say *inspired by*...and not sweat about remembering names unless you remember them without trying. After all, we are all influenced by what we see - unless we live in a vacuum and never visit the gallery or any blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I probably wouldn't say a thing. Being inspired by multiple sources and then making your own original doesn't seem like a CASE to me or even the slightly lower "inspired by." Changing an element, colors, etc. is at least an Inspired By. Direct copy is a CASE.

Maybe I'm not giving enough credit??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with Joan. If you have changed that much, then I don't think you need to say more.

Now, if one card really inspired me and I happen to remember who, then I may mention that in passing.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Joan. There have been times when I sat down to make a card without inspiration in front of me, made a card "off the top of my head" and weeks later found a card I'd seen months before that was similar. This sort of thing is inevitable. In one case, the forgotten inspiration was close enough to mine that I went back and edited my description in the gallery to acknowledge the source. But mostly, there's enough changed that I don't feel the need.

When I take direct inspiration consciously, however, I always acknowledge the debt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that one of the best things about SCS is all the inspiration. There's no way I could give credit to everyone. I do link to a card if it's a CASE. I also give a specific person credit if I used an idea that I saw on their card. For instance, I've said in a card description, "I sponged the edges of the butterfly, which I saw on one of Beate's cards." I have done that without having a link.

Something I really do like is when someone CASEs a card of mine, and then PMs me to let me know. I love to look at it and consider it a great flattery....just my 2 cents.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's how I developed my own style...taking bits and pieces that I liked of other cards and combining them to create my own. If there is a certain unique element or technique that I used, though, I will make sure to give credit to the person that inspired it. But yep, that's why we all share our art here...we all draw inspiration from each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree...no credit is needed to be given to anyone. You created the card, it's your idea.

My personal opinion is that people get too wrapped up in wanting to give credit to someone else for their card. YOU made the card you should get the credit.

On the other hand, I can't understand why someone would want to copy someones' card exactly anyway? That's no fun or creativity.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

If you really feel the need to say anything - Created with inspiration from lots of projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I agree, You can't give credit to everyone if your idea came from several cards. I wouldn't even remember the names, cause I do this too. I think there are so many great crafters on here and we all inspire eachother all the time!

Here's an example of what is not cool though, I've seen someone who will take a HUGE part of someone elses recent idea, post a very similar product on their blog and say I saw this somewhere but can't remember where. That just irks me.

Last edited by mireles4; 04-14-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmm. I have been listing mine as cased if they are the same layout/colors and similar stamps. It's still changed though. Oh, well. I just like making them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to agree with Joan & co. I find it overwhelming to try to remember who I borrowed an idea from and that makes me hesitate to upload to the gallery. Don't want to squash anyone's toes. lol

IMO, there is only so many ways to layer a piece of paper and position a button. lol

I think from now on, unless there is a really specific CASEing or unique idea, I will stick to the phrase "Inspired by many". Thanks again to everyone for your encouragement and input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with not having to list or give credit if it isn't a direct case. I often get jumped on for my opinion on this subject here, but I'm still of the opinion that there really isn't anything left that's original in card making anyway - unless of course you're the first person to ever post something like say the gate fold card. It would be absolutely prohibiting if you had to list off where you got all your ideas from. I don't visit the gallery very often unless I'm looking for something specific (like looking for directions on the side step card), so I know I haven't cased cards from here, but inevitably I know that my cards are going to look very similar to a lot of other cards out there - especially if I'm using SU products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 03:36 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If I directly CASE a card and looks very similar then I will give credit. Anything else I do not.
I never remember where I get ideas from. I look in so many places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm a serious (and grateful) SCS Gallery Addict and enjoy mentioning who inspired me to stamp something, hopefully encouraging others to view their SCS gallery. I use "inspired by" quite a bit, as well as CASE. And I admit I do get a kick out seeing that I have inspired someone else. But the most important thing is to upload and share.

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I dont remember who I cased and changed up..I usually just put a line in the description that says I got the idea on SCS.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes