Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal at stamp camp??

I went to my first stamp camp and no one talked to me. The Demo didn't itroduce us to eachother and the women who new eachother kept to their own groups. I was very uncomfortable. I tried to strike up conversations and was only given one word answers. The Demo was great, going around helping us, but I sure didn't leave wanting to ever go back.. I was just wondering if this was normal behavior for women attending stamp camps. Has this ever happened to you? Should I go back and see if it gets better or try to find a new group? TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

It happened to me before. I would look for a nicer group......if you aren't comfortable maybe you should tell your demo that is how you feel. Its really her job , as anyone acting as hostess, to make everyone comfortable
Old 06-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Hmmm, what a bummer. I would give it another shot and maybe meantion it to the demo and if it happens again, just move on. My stamp camps are all my friends or people I know fairly well and when new comers are here they all join in the crowd. Maybe it will be better the second time when they see a familiar face. Good luck!!!!

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry that happened to you.
Happened to me also....not once but twice with the same demo/group of women. I figured it was a fluke the first time. On the second stamp camp I asked the lady next to me a question on how to do something and she said "ask Susie Q she's the demo".
That's when I knew I didn't want to be around that demo and her group.

My advice...find another demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have been to at least 4 stamp camps and the demo did not introduce each other. I think that a 10 Club is different and becomes a cohesive group. A stamp camp is more like a sales event and customers are not introduced to one another. It did not bother me, but then I am very outgoing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:12 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by imataloss
I went to my first stamp camp and no one talked to me. The Demo didn't itroduce us to eachother and the women who new eachother kept to their own groups. I was very uncomfortable. I tried to strike up conversations and was only given one word answers. The Demo was great, going around helping us, but I sure didn't leave wanting to ever go back.. I was just wondering if this was normal behavior for women attending stamp camps. Has this ever happened to you? Should I go back and see if it gets better or try to find a new group? TIA

Hmmmm. It sounds to me that you really liked the demonstrator--mebbe you could give it another shot, but gently suggest how helpful it would be to have name tags as you are new and don't know everybody yet and would love to make new friends? Perhaps it is something she forgot, trying to take care of so many other details of the event--that is possible; I've certainly forgotten to provide name tags at some of mine :oops:

But, then, I've never attended or hosted an event where everybody wasn't friendly or chatting with ALL.

I am puzzled by what you experienced. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I have been to at least 4 stamp camps and the demo did not introduce each other. I think that a 10 Club is different and becomes a cohesive group. A stamp camp is more like a sales event and customers are not introduced to one another. It did not bother me, but then I am very outgoing.

I'm VERY outgoing too. My DH was VERY suprised that I had such a bad time . Couldn't believe me who can talk to ANYONE couldn't get a conversation going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hmm that's strange and upsetting. I'm sorry to hear about that. I haven't been to any camps or retreats so I don't really know. However I have been to the crops and I admit that I might have sounded lil bit rude but I didn't mean to when people start talking to me. They didn't know that I am deaf to begin with. Some people thought I was a snob by outright ignoring them while I was just buried working on layouts and didn't hear them calling me. I feel sooo horrible about that when I found out later on. I stopped going to crops, I just do my own stuff in the comfort of my own home hahah. Sorry to hijack your thread but now you have your thread back. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:30 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I would definitely look for another group that you feel more comfortable with. I have never been to a stamp camp where I've felt unwelcome and I go out of my way to make sure nobody else feels that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I've found most stampers to be very friendly, and sharing. However, I went to one event where I was treated in a similar way. It was a large class at a LSS. It was the last time I went there. I talk to everyone, especially if we are at the same table. Part of the fun of stamping is the socialization. Hopefully all your future esperiences will be more fun, and more pleasant. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a demonstrator finds the group is unfriendly, I think she should give you
more attention to make you feel comfortable, if she wants you to order from her. Anyone can just put in an order for someone, but but I think making everyone comfortable is part of the job, and she should watch for that, or so long, I wouldn't go again either. Carollyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I think that is awful. I am part of a stamping club and when I joined I didnt know anyone ... there are 7 of us in total. But we all talk and laugh and tell jokes, have fun and learn from one another. I cant imagine if these ladies hadnt opened up and made me felt welcome. It would have been awful. I think I would look for a new group, that doesnt sound like fun at all, especially since you are such a social person. Some people could handle that and it wouldnt be a problem, but most people LIKE to chat and have fun with the other ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I have found stamp camp to be like that pretty much, but that would be different than a stamp group. Yes, some people have absolutely no personality! It's like, "Hey, I'm here for the stamping," or something. I still enjoy the projects of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

If I was you, I would let the demo know you didn't enjoy the event because the atmosphere was so unwelcoming. Then I would look around for another group to stamp with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have attended a couple of stamp camps which were large groups, at least a dozen or more tables with 6 to a table and everyone shifting from project to project and found that I didn't know anyone and people did stick pretty much to their own groups. It was an event shared by several demos in the same group and I did know several of them but none of the camp attendees. Everyone was nice enough but not conversational as they were all sticking together with their groups. I was with a friend so that was ok and I didn't feel left out but if I had attended by myself, it would have been pretty lonely....even though I am also outgoing.

I would say that a stamp camp is sort of like going to a restaurant....you wouldn't expect the waiter and cook to introduce everyone to each other but they are all there to enjoy the same thing, great atmosphere and good food. Stamp camps can be very similar so maybe next time you could invite a friend to attend with you to make it more fun and counnt on the demo to provide the stamping ideas, supplies and customer assistance with the projects.

If it was a very small group with only a few people and nobody was outgoing then I agree that would be very uncomfortable. I have had stamp camps at my home with smallish groups and it seems that most of the guests do interact pretty well in a smaller setting of less than 10 people. Jan
Jan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

iam sorry. i know exactly how this feels.
i usually think it is because of my accent and bad english.
But it seems to happen to other people as well.

if you dont have a commitment to this specific demo i would not go there anymore. if you wait longer it will get even harder to tell her that you feel uncomftable. And i dont think it is because she did not introduce you all. i think the people there are already a "group" and just have problems or are not intrested accepting somebody new to their meetings.

it is up to you if you want to go there an proof yourself so you can "fit" in or
go the easier way and find a different group with people who are open and intrested to meet somebody new. i just dont like to go the hard way... stampin is supposed to be fun, you want to go there have a nice conversationn and laugh and dont want to sit afterwards in the car and thinking... hmmmmm what did i do wrong?

head up!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkerzaway
I have attended a couple of stamp camps which were large groups, at least a dozen or more tables with 6 to a table and everyone shifting from project to project and found that I didn't know anyone and people did stick pretty much to their own groups. It was an event shared by several demos in the same group and I did know several of them but none of the camp attendees. Everyone was nice enough but not conversational as they were all sticking together with their groups. I was with a friend so that was ok and I didn't feel left out but if I had attended by myself, it would have been pretty lonely....even though I am also outgoing.

I would say that a stamp camp is sort of like going to a restaurant....you wouldn't expect the waiter and cook to introduce everyone to each other but they are all there to enjoy the same thing, great atmosphere and good food. Stamp camps can be very similar so maybe next time you could invite a friend to attend with you to make it more fun and counnt on the demo to provide the stamping ideas, supplies and customer assistance with the projects.

If it was a very small group with only a few people and nobody was outgoing then I agree that would be very uncomfortable. I have had stamp camps at my home with smallish groups and it seems that most of the guests do interact pretty well in a smaller setting of less than 10 people. Jan
Jan

There were 9 of us....I think I'm going to check SU's site for demo's in my area.
I stamp at home ALL the time and thanks to this GREATsite I'm pretty well versed in techniques. I went to meet new people and check out how a stamp camp is run as I'm considering becomming a demo myself come July.

Last edited by imataloss; 06-09-2006 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:43 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

My demo has some customers like you described! They all work full-time jobs and have children and when they go to class or stamp club, they don't want to chit chat, they want to stamp! It is like they have a one track mind, and with limited time this year, I can really understand it! I am usually too tired to chit chat myself at stamp camps due to my full-time job and pretty young kids. I didn't understand it at all until I had a similar situation! At first it seemed really rude but my demo explained this to me and put me in a different group the next time, one that is much more friendly and talkative. Once in awhile, I still attend the group that isn't friendly (they all know each other and just mostly talk to each other), but now I know it is just that group and not me! Talk to your demo about it, she'll be able to help, I know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by imataloss
I have been attending stamp camps hosted by my current demo for about four years. A few of the ones I have been to have been like you described. I didn't know anyone there, and no one talked to me. I'm very outgoing, but I chose to keep quiet. I don't really like to chit chat while I'm stamping anyhow. Most of the time I know someone else at the camp though since a few of my friends also attend.

I would suggest making your decision about whether or not to look for a different group based on your relationship with your demonstrator and how well you like the cards, etc. that you make at the camps. Are you going there to socialize or are you going there to stamp? I am going to my camps to stamp, so I could really care less about socialization in that setting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

It was kind of like that at my first Card Club meeting at my LSS - I was definitley the newbie - but by the end everything worked out and I couldn't leave since everyone was talking to me - hopefully the next stamp club works better for you!

Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Sent you a p.m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Ive been to workshops at several different demos and have never encountered the problem of unfriendliness. One of the workshops i knew absolutely no one nor the demo. Everyone was very friendly and fun. I would definitely discuss with the demo if there was another group you could try, since you liked her. Keep stampin and having fun though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 04:31 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I would try it again.introduce yourself,since your all there doing something you love,just talk to the ladies who are there,ask them about a certain event that is coming up or one that has gone by.if you can't get them to talk about it. talk about scs and see if anyone talks about it.see if anyone visits this site this will surely ask questions and get there attention if they haven't heard about it.If that doesn't bring them to talk ,then I would find another group of ladies to stamp with.

I go to a stamp camp once amonth 1 only knew 1 person.and we just talk as agroup when we are all stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 04:38 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

ask the demo to have you all make so many cards each month depending on who wants to an exchange them at stamp camp.thisis what we do.I suggested this a long time ago and people do love seeing others work and can learn alot from it.you never know how many questions will be asked later on how you did what,or what stamps were used.it's a great way to get everyone talking.about something you all like to do.

Have the demo go around to each person and say who you all are since there are new people attending.and say why you started joining and things like. what is your favorite stamp set,favorite techniques just to get a conversation going amoungst everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

If your demos stamp camps are anything like mine, there are different people there each time I offer one. If you go back it may be a whole different group of ladies. I would definitely mention it to your demo. Perhaps she can introduce you next time and smooth the way.

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Give it a second chance... At the stamp camps that I go to, we are so focused on stamping that we don't do much talking... And when we do talk, we mess up our projects...
Reply With Quote Likes