Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 PM   #81
Rubber Obsessor

Me being kinda new to all this stuff, I saw this site awhile back and saw some exact cards I seen on this gallery and just though to myself this person must have been a member here as well. Little did I know. I case the cards I really like for idea's but I only give them for birthdays for friends and such. I don't know how someone could acually use someone elses artwork and not give the person the created it the credit they deserve.

It goes to show you putting copy rights on the bottom of the cards really does not do a thing. You can crop the photo and cut the copy rights off. The copy rights really need to be right in the photo themselves to stop this from happing.

Sad really to use someone else for profit.

[email protected]
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

Question or thought.. How about something like this happening. First off I am not a demo only a stampin up addict. Say I go to a stamp camp and make a card. How do I know that card was not cased by someone else and me having just made the card myself at the stamp camp. I use it in my photo gallery as a "card I made" Me being so proud of my artwork because "I made it" but I didn't create the whole idea for the card just assembled it. Where does the fine line draw in all this. The cards and scrapbook pages I have made at these stamp camps are wonderful, but they could have come from SCS sight. I guess you just never know..

[email protected]
Old 09-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #83
Gabfest Goddess

CASEing is not at question here! These cards were not CASE'd...they are the actual cards taken right off this site!
I'll say it again...I love it when people want to copy my work, it's why I post to this site, but I like to be given credit for the original idea! As an aside, if a card is CASEd exactly, I will never understand why the CASEer would post it. What's the point?
I know she didn't get my cards from a swap, as I'm not a demonstrator and have never participated in one. All my cards are "one of a kind" designs. I guess my work is disitinctive, considering that I was informed about this issue by someone from SCS who doesn't know me, but evidently knows my work!
When I started this thread, I didn't expect so much vitriol to be unleashed against this girl!
This brings me to my husband's favorite saying when our kids were growing up, "Be good, and you'll be happy."
Old 09-10-2004, 03:14 AM   #84
Kookie Creator

Lana wrote: Unfortunately, Stampin' Up! has made it their policy to let demos use anybody's work on their websites. They do not need to ask permission. They do not need to give the creator credit.

This is true because. The actual "design" was created by Stampin' Up!
We just take Stampin Up's design and enhance it. ( By adding embellishments, colors, etc.) So, when someone copies a design, they are actually copying Stampin' ups design.

Mary
Old 09-10-2004, 03:36 AM   #85
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Copyright doesn't work exactly like that though. Sure the image is SU!'s, but technically what you create with it is your copyright. You have made enough changes to the original image to claim to have something completely new. It doesn't matter that the original image is copyrighted. However, when you buy the stamps, you buy them under the understanding that your derivations of the original art are under certain restrictions, i.e. the angel policy. So SU! has the right to restrict the sale of the things you make with their original image, but they can't tell you what you can make with it. What buying a stamp does NOT do is allow you to stamp it, send it to a rubber stamp manufacturer and ask them to duplicate it from the stamped art. That is the most basic restriction on copyrighted images.

I certainly have copied designs I have seen elsewhere and used them in classes, so yes it would be hard to say that anything is a total original. But these were photos of cards, not CASEd copies.

I agree with Steph...she signed up here only 19 or 20 days before yesterday. WHo would not remember coming to a website like this three weeks before? She must not have much of a memory if she can claim to not even remember coming here and "registering for something" only 3 weeks ago. Most people are totally blown away when they come to this site, so blown away that they tell all their friends about it and spend a LOT of time up here!

Methinks the lady doth protest to much and I also think she has a friend or two up here that are reporting what we are saying to her.

However, she's busted and I'm willing to live and let live. I just think we should bookmark her site and keep an eye on it from now one. One comfort is, people probably get pretty frustrated at how slow it loads on a dial up connection and don't spend that much time looking at her galleries.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-10-2004, 04:16 AM   #86
Stampin' Fool

Default Re: I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinwithjenn
I don't know which ones are yours.
Well, I'm one of the unlucky ones who has to live with a very slow dialup. I don't have the time to sit and go through each category looking for my cards (I did find one in a quick look).

Jenn, I think the ethical thing to do is to remove any cards that you personally haven't received permission to use.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:17 AM   #87
Crimping Master

I'm coming into this disscussion a bit late, but just wanted to amke a comment.

When a customer sees a card in person or on your website, they tend to automatically think you made it yourself. This has been the case with my customers.

At my workshops, I pass around a card basket with a few cards that I made and most that were received from swaps, and I say that I didn't make them all myself. Almost all of the swap cards have the designers info on the back. I am always hearing the customers say things to each other like "look at this great one Barbaranne made!" or "I wonder what stamp Barbaranne used to make this?", etc. When I hear this I am very quick to remind them that I did not make that card.

I still have very little of my own designs, so on my SU website I have creations from other people that were taken from Stamper's Showcase, which we are allowed to do. I have never used images from anywhere else. When I make a new item myself, it goes up there and I take down another of the images created by others, eventually it will all be my own! I always give credit to the artist. That said, I have customers emailing me to ask how "I" made a card. They simply do not click on the card to read the information abut it, even though I have a little blurb about clicking on the card to get the info.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:42 AM   #88
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary P
Lana wrote: Unfortunately, Stampin' Up! has made it their policy to let demos use anybody's work on their websites. They do not need to ask permission. They do not need to give the creator credit.

This is true because. The actual "design" was created by Stampin' Up!
We just take Stampin Up's design and enhance it. ( By adding embellishments, colors, etc.) So, when someone copies a design, they are actually copying Stampin' ups design.

Mary
This is not true, actually! They say you can use stuff from the SU! showcase - NOT from other people's sites. I think we should all be a little more careful about stating the rules around here - be sure you are spreading the truth and not more misunderstanding. Not a slam on anyone, especially the sweet Lana - it's just that I notice this happening a lot lately. I know I for one have not read the entire SU! manual - maybe it's time...
Old 09-10-2004, 05:00 AM   #89
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
As an aside, if a card is CASEd exactly, I will never understand why the CASEer would post it. What's the point?
I thought about this last night. Why would someone do this?

I have the answer: T I M E

It takes time to sit down, recipe in hand, duplicate a card, photograph it, upload it and write a description.

Much easier, faster and non-inky hands to simply hit <copy> and <paste>.

Good business practice to save time? Yes.

Good business practice to not give credit? NO.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:05 AM   #90
Mad Swapper

Just send Jenn (website owner) a message-she is placing my name with my card. At least I will get credit where credit is do.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:10 AM   #91
Polyshrink Goddess

I do NOT mind if people CASE my work...use it as inspiration, make copies to share, use it as a stamp camp project...whatever! That's why I posted my work here. I don't expect people to copy the exact scan and post it somewhere.
However, what I DO mind is that fact that my work appears on a site that is in direct violation with SU! policy on internet auctions. SU! has made their internet auction policy clear...I heard Jerry speak of it at Convention, it was addressed in Stampin' Success, AND it was posted on the homepage of the SU! demonstrator site. No active demo can claim ignorance in this area.
I give Jennifer credit that she spoke up, however, I don't respect back peddling to cover tracks. It shows good character to admit when you are wrong (and, aren't we all at times?), take the blame, and correct the issue(s). I am a teacher, and I try to instill this in my students daily.
I guess when anything is posted on the web, there is a risk we all take...and we hope that our material, words, art, etc. don't end up misrepresenting our character and ethics. That said, I will continue to share work and words at this wonderful site...Majority rules, and from what I have experienced, the girls of SCS are a wonderful group. And, I am a firm believer in "what goes around, comes around....you reap what you sow....." Unethical practice will eventually bite you in the end.

Melissa
Old 09-10-2004, 05:18 AM   #92
Polyshrink Goddess

Her eBay store has been closed. I hope this gives some of you comfort that you have worked together to protect the integrity of Stampin' Up and it's demonstrators. Now, let's get back to happier things like Stamping!
Old 09-10-2004, 05:24 AM   #93
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skunky
I personally think she stinks!!!

It’s a good thing skunks cant spray over the net…….
Shame on you!!!!!

Oh Skunky, thanks goodness for that Leave it to a skunk to give a good laugh in this thread
Old 09-10-2004, 07:28 AM   #94
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Hey Lisa, maybe we can congratulate ourselves. Our creations are so awesome, so stupendous, that she did not dare to put them on her site for fear of making all the other cards look bad? But then, Beate's stuff is all over it and I definitely would not outshine her any day of the week! So my theory is bunk, but it is a nice thought.
that might work for your cards........not mine......so you theory is debunked again! LOL!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

Check this site out! She's got TWO companies represented. I found the link from our other "friend." http://www.kimstamps.com/index.html
She at least gives credit, but doesn't say anything about SU!'s angel policy (she does about the other company).
Suzanne
Old 09-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #96
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Hmm...I was under the impression that Dream Impressions had ceased to be a direct sales company...why are they still seeking demos?

At any rate, she makes no claim to be a Stampin' Up! demonstrator, so I don't know that there is anything wrong with what she has here.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-10-2004, 08:56 AM   #97
Gabfest Goddess

I have seen Kims site for years! She used to be a SU! demo, then went to that Dream Impressions co.(I dream all my impressions are from SU! lol)
Some top people in SU! left and started that company. Is it defunct now???
I didnt particularly like their designs, and lots were copied from SU! Kim has always posted both companies, since she used to demo SU!, so she kept both companies on there, and other people send in their SU! samples.
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:57 AM   #98
Stampin' Fool

Kim was a Stampin' Up! demo a long time ago. When the other company was formed she left SU (for her own reasons, I think she is a member here as well and if she wants to tell you why she left that is up to her). She has in my opinion always done the right thing. I am not sure why you want other stampers to check out her site. I really don't think there is any violations going on. As far as I know all cards posted on her site are with the artist's permission. She left the SU stuff on her site as a courtesy to SU stampers. Please, don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Most of the stamp site are here to inspire and not to rip anyone off. JMO
Vicki
Old 09-10-2004, 09:00 AM   #99
Embossing Fanatic

I found a couple of my cards on her site. One of the cards I only posted to one website - patstamps.com. I know several others of you also submit to her site. This may be where she's copying the card scans from.

While I don't mind my cards being used on another site (I also find it flattering), I would appreciate credit for the creation. Pat takes considerable care and time to post the artists name next to each submission she posts on her site. So if this is one of the locations that the cards are being copied from "Jennifer" can't claim that she didn't know who the artist was!

I did send an email asking her to include my name to my cards. I know that these are my scans because one of the cards had a slight flaw that I know is there, yet most probably don't see - the flaw is also on the card on her site, I'm pretty that's not a coincidence.

Amy G
Old 09-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #100
Gabfest Goddess

Actually, now that I went to D.Impreesion website, doesnt look like they do the standard in home demos any more!! You dont need a "kit" to sign up, costs $25 to sign on, and $100 monthly sales. It looks like sales are ALL online now!!! How ODD is that?????
Tandra

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Old 09-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #101
Inking Addict

Default I'm new but wanted to share an idea

I'm new and just started looking around the site today and found this thread. Anyways, I know people get hurt when their work is stolen without credit being given. One thing I have started doing is watermarking the pictures I post of my work (at this point few and far between but hoping to do more soon). Anyways, it takes a few minutes, but then if people "borrow" my pictures I am still getting credit for the picture regardless. I just put the copyright symbol with my name and date across picture. I try not to place it over important parts and if I really have to I go with a grey tone instead of black.

One other thing that has come up in discussions like this on other boards I'm on is that it's kind of like doing a report. You should give credit, but you don't have to ask permission unless you are making a profit from it. So my watermarks gives me credit even if my permission is not asked.

Just my two cents. And from a newbie it doesn't mean very much I know.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #102
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Re: I'm new but wanted to share an idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost-in-texas

One other thing that has come up in discussions like this on other boards I'm on is that it's kind of like doing a report. You should give credit, but you don't have to ask permission unless you are making a profit from it. So my watermarks gives me credit even if my permission is not asked.
Another myth. Not true.