Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 PM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I was not going to post

however,
I had emailed this lady. I had found her name on the demo locator a few weeks ago. I am trying to find other demos in my area to buddy up with as my upline is relatively inactive. When I asked her about a few of her pictures that I saw on other websites she gave me a very stiff reply that the pictures were in fact from her upline's events on the East Coast. At the time I thought she was very lucky to have such an active upline.
I am guessing she has no connection with this "upline" and just stole the pictures. Makes me feel better, though because I was beginning to feel quite unwanted because she really didn't want anything to do with me and was giving me very curt replies.
Have a great day!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #42
Stampin' Fool

I'm one of those who puts artwork other than my own on my site, but with full credit, of course, going to the artist. I used to ask permission each and every time, but let me tell ya, that gets old quick! lol! No one ever said "no". I only had one person say that it was okay as long as I gave them credit, which I certainly intended to do.

I know that, personally, I am honored to be represented on any website that desires to display my artwork, so long as I get credit. And I don't expect to be asked either. Too time-consuming! So I'm giving y'all carte blanche to use my artwork on your sites. Just put my name on it! lol! Hope you'll do the same. If you don't want it there, please email me. I'll gladly remove it (which is what I say on my site).

Have a great evening!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #43
Stampin' Fool

I saw a few of my cards on her site as well. Since I don't know what her intentions are, I won't get all sideways about it. I did not get the impression that she was trying to pass the cards off as her own work. She really doesn't say one way or the other. I really think that is the risk you have to take if you want to share your passion with others via the internet. Yes it would be nice if she contacted each and every artist to get permission first but we don't live in a perfect world. I know how I would conduct myself but I can not control others and I can't afford to spend the time and energy worring about it. I can only continue to hope that people will do the right thing and if they don't it will eventually catch up with them. I am confident there are a whole lot more people doing the right thing then those who are not. I will continue posting my cards, as we all will, because we all have the passion to share what we love! And that's the bottom line.
Vicki
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:29 PM   #44
Rubber Obsessor

Default I'm not in her upline!

I can't believe it, she actually copied one of the 3 that I have on SCS! I also don't know if I am flattered or not.
I can assure you, however, that I am not part of her upline or anything to do with any East Coast swaps!
I live in western Washington, have only been a demo for 3 months and only have 1 downline... So, nice lie!
I think that bothers me the most. To actually lie to someone with a direct question about the issue!

Kari Douglas
Old 09-09-2004, 04:31 PM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuttnhoney
I'm one of those who puts artwork other than my own on my site, but with full credit, of course, going to the artist. I used to ask permission each and every time, but let me tell ya, that gets old quick! lol! No one ever said "no". I only had one person say that it was okay as long as I gave them credit, which I certainly intended to do.

I know that, personally, I am honored to be represented on any website that desires to display my artwork, so long as I get credit. And I don't expect to be asked either. Too time-consuming! So I'm giving y'all carte blanche to use my artwork on your sites. Just put my name on it! lol! Hope you'll do the same. If you don't want it there, please email me. I'll gladly remove it (which is what I say on my site).

Have a great evening!
It may be time-consuming, but asking is the right thing to do.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree. Permission should be gotten each and every time, unless the person has given you a blanket permission. Now...this is coming from me, who hasn't been CASE'd copied or borrowed from.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:37 PM   #47
Matboard Maniac

I'm not sure how to reply to this thread.

Of course it is common courtesy to ask permission to post others images. To some people, it simply doesn't occur to them to ask! They are used to this sharing, caring, stamping community and may actually think they are doing a good thing..sharing with others. Call me knaive sp?, but I have a feeling this girl will be shocked at the reaction to her site. I would bet my stamping supplies that her actions are very innocent. I agree with one of the previous posts stating that it doesn't appear the owner is stating she created all the cards on the site. It would be helpful if she stated something on her homepage explaining that the gallery is a compliation of cards from many different stampers, not just her. And she did give credit to a fair amount of cards on there.

No flames please! I know it is disheartening to see your hard work up there without one bit of credit. I've visited web sites that have totally copied the layout and design of my classroom web site and it hurts! Unfortunately, if I'm willing to put my stuff "out there" I am opening myself up to this type of copying.

I've been on other boards where it has gotten downright VICIOUS when ppl have seen their scrapbook pages on gallery type sites. They were upset not only b/c their work was displayed and they were not given credit or asked for permission, but also b/c their children's faces were out there on a web site on the WWW. I'm sorry, if I would NEVER post anything with my children(if and when I have any!!) or anyone elses for that matter, b/c I realize how easy it is to right click and use one of my pics for purposes other than intended when I posted it.

I'll be curious to see what happens here. I saw one of my cards posted there, but I had my name included right on the scan. I don't think she asked my permission to post it, but that doesn't bother me. If I really didn't want anyone to display my photos, I wouldn't share them.

Hope a happy resolution can be reached in this situation...

Keep us posted...

Ashley
Old 09-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #48
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by overcome
I'm not sure how to reply to this thread.

Of course it is common courtesy to ask permission to post others images. To some people, it simply doesn't occur to them to ask! They are used to this sharing, caring, stamping community and may actually think they are doing a good thing..sharing with others. Call me knaive sp?, but I have a feeling this girl will be shocked at the reaction to her site. I would bet my stamping supplies that her actions are very innocent. \
Maybe you missed the post from someone who said they emailed her about it and she replied that these were cards from her upline.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Mine are there too!

the pictures were in fact from her upline's events on the East Coast. At the time I thought she was very lucky to have such an active upline.

Well, I certainly never made any of the cards she posted from my personal website for a large swap (Christina Crawford's mass meetings in Washingtonville or any others). She posted those that took me forever to make (motion cards) and those I only posted on my webshots site - not here (i.e., a Kids at Play Motion Card). So, as you probably learned already, the statement above is just not true - she did not get my cards from a swap.

I have had issues with this before and have contacted the individuals when I learned of it. I will do the same with this person now that I know my work is there too. I recognize many people just don't know better and I know many are flattered when their work is posted, but I don't like it and consider it rude when people post my images without asking, even if they give me credit.

My website doesn't have my name on it for a reason - I have been stalked since testifying against someone in a court case, and have to be careful of kidnapping because of my husband's position. This is why I post my cards as neighbor nancy or nancy k. in the copyright line. When someone credits me with my full name, as some have done, it endangers my safety and the safety of my family. She even posted samples that had photos of my family (old heirloom photos, no one would be recognized)!

As many times as the issue comes up you'd think I stop letting it bug me. It is my biggest pet peeve.

I regret she did this and that she didn't learn about the "rules of posting etiquette" earlier. I hope she responds by taking our work off her website and acting in compliance with SU policies from now on.

All my best,

Nancy
Old 09-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #50
Dirty Dozen Alumni

When credit is not given where due less will be shared.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #51
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardust

Maybe you missed the post from someone who said they emailed her about it and she replied that these were cards from her upline.
You're right, I did miss that post. It was being posted while I was writing my dissertation! LOL

I wish I had read vicnvin's post first....she said it so well...I agree with her

Keeping my eye on this post....
Ashley
Old 09-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #52
Stampin' Fool

I found some of my stuff too. She copied directly from SCS; it's the only place I have artwork posted. The worse part, my email address is listed... All she had to do was email me!

I've emailed her and requested my artwork be immediately removed.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #53
Watercolor Wizard

Default Re: I was not going to post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerveler
When I asked her about a few of her pictures that I saw on other websites she gave me a very stiff reply that the pictures were in fact from her upline's events on the East Coast. At the time I thought she was very lucky to have such an active upline.
I am guessing she has no connection with this "upline" and just stole the pictures.

WOW, she lied about it, so she must have known then that she was in the wrong..
Old 09-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #54
Watercolor Wizard

Since this happend early this evening, has anyone heard from her? Did she reply to any of the emails that were sent to her?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #55
Stampin' Fool

She didn't just get artwork from here. She had some artwork from my own site on hers.

I just heard from her and she said she'd put my name on my artwork on her site. She gave a very nice reply.

I hope this all gets worked out.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:15 PM   #56
SCS Moderator

I found a bunch of mibe on there as well-and she included my UPS van from Loads of Love- I love that card!!!
I told her pretty bluntly i wanted all my cards off her site. I even described them to her.

I had this issue earlier with another demo putting images from here on their newsletter and claiming them as her own. I think that stinks.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #57
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I found a bunch of mibe on there as well-and she included my UPS van from Loads of Love- I love that card!!!
I told her pretty bluntly i wanted all my cards off her site. I even described them to her.
Britta you go girl!! Good for you
Old 09-09-2004, 05:38 PM   #58
Mad Swapper

Thanks to princessMi I found one of my cards on there also. Don't know what to think. I would like to be given the credit for making it but, then again I know I did it. It was copied from the mini catty anyway.

I do kinda feel special being chose among all the fellow SCSers.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #59
SCS Moderator

She e-mailed me back and said she would remove my cards.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #60
Mad Swapper

One of my cards is on there as well. I emailed her and asked her to please either give credit where credit is due or remove my work from her site. I don't mind sharing, and I am flattered, but I really would like it if my name were on the work. I'm think of doing what some people do and actually put a little piece of paper under the card when I scan it that has my name on it so that even if they copy and paste a pic from here my name will always be attached.

Joy
Old 09-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #61
Cardstock Collector

Default I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

I have to apologize 20,000 fold...I have never been to this website before, someone was kind enough to send me this link....I am correcting the problems as I type on my website.

I, myself, didn't "shoplift" any of these cards, apparently one of my demonstrators did and I have so many cards listed on my site that unless you email me and ask me to take them off, I don't know which ones are yours.

I am reading every email from you guys, and there are tons, and am either putting your names with the cards or taking them off whichever you wish.

I have over 5,000 cards on my site, and many are mine, and my demonstrators, and some do not have names, just the copyrights, so I apologize if some of yours are on there without permission.

Thanks for all your emails.

Jennifer Peters
Old 09-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #62
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default Quick and courteous reply

She is removing my cards as well and apologized.

All my best,

Nancy
Old 09-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #63
Polyshrink Goddess

Very nice outcome!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:09 PM   #64
SCS Moderator

Thank you scrappinwithjenn for posting here.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #65
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you, Jennifer, for coming forward.
I found one of my cards on the site during a brief look-see, but I must say that not only is it posted here on SCS, it was also one of the trades I took to convention...so, I meant for that one to be fair game.

This bothers me, as under the author column of this topic, it says Jennifer joined SCS "20 August 2004" :
Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinwithjenn

I have to apologize 20,000 fold...I have never been to this website before, someone was kind enough to send me this link....I am correcting the problems as I type on my website.
Oh, well...
All in all, though, this is the BEST site, and I value everyone's creativity, caring, and conversation!
Happy stamping!
Melissa
Old 09-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #66
SCS Moderator

good eye melissa
that makes me a bit sad as well, I do appreciate her coming forward still.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM   #67
Die Cut Diva

Melissa...I noticed the date right away too and it also bothers me as that doesn't seem right.

I don't have any cards on the site, so I really can't say much about this.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #68
Watercolor Wizard

Default Re: I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

Quote:

I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

I, myself, didn't "shoplift" any of these cards, apparently one of my demonstrators did and I have so many cards listed on my site that unless you email me and ask me to take them off, I don't know which ones are yours.

I am reading every email from you guys, and there are tons, and am either putting your names with the cards or taking them off whichever you wish.

I have over 5,000 cards on my site, and many are mine, and my demonstrators, and some do not have names, just the copyrights, so I apologize if some of yours are on there without permission.

Thanks for all your emails.

Jennifer Peters

That was a great thing that she did coming here to post, give her credit for that
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #69
Cardstock Collector

Default I am correcting the problem...

I am still correcting the problem, thanks for all your emails, and you are all asking why it says Aug with my name. Apparently I registered then for something, but I have never posted here and don't remember ever coming to this site, but it's a wonderful sight.

Jennifer
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 PM   #70
Stampin' Fool

Location: I try to live in LaLa Land, but people keep interrupting me!

I'm not so sure I'd even worry about it, isn't it to just show EXAMPLES of what can be done with Rubber & Ink?

Lets face it the Great Masters of past centuries weren't famous until they were DEAD. And poor to boot! I bet they are really p*ssed off now!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #71
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Default Re: I am the owner of the website...10,000 apologies

Quote:

...I have never been to this website before
But this is a lie! I went up to look at her profile. IF this were me and if I were sent a link to a website that "I had never been to before" so I could reassure people whom I had essentially stolen from that I was correcting the problems caused by my theft, why would I take the time to fully fill out my profile, giving my MSN IM name, listing my interests and profession, etc. as she has done? She clearly joined on August 20th, which is coincidentally after most of the demos here had finished making Holiday mini catalog samples, some of which ended up on her site!

So her visit and post up here is clearly damage control, but she couldn't tell the truth about it. We probably would have accepted an apology that was prefaced by "I copied cards from here, but I didn't know it was wrong." or "I copied cards from here because I thought they were the best and I wanted to share them with my customers! I didn't think anybody would mind!" But she pushes the blame off on "one of my demonstrators." Not ethical, not truthful.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 09-09-2004, 07:43 PM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but am quite peeved at this person for stealing all of our work without at least giving us credit. I found one of my cards on her site & emailed her. Her site isn't a SU! one, it's a combo of her 2 homebased businesses & that burns me too. I think I've only put my card in one place.....on my SU! website. SU! might just get a phone call from me tomorrow too. I better sign off before I say something I regret.
Suzanne
Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #73
Kookie Creator

I looked on her website and actually found one of mine. I'm not mad, just surprised. I'm not a demo--just a customer--so I have a different perspective. I see how some of you would be angry.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #74
Insane Embellisher

This is so weird because, just a few days ago I was going through my favorites menu (Been out of work and have a lot of time on my hands right now) Anywho, My funny little Wanda's Wit and Wonder card was on there and my name was no where to be found.

I emailed her and gently let her know that she really needed to include the artest on the many cards I saw without ID. She graciously emaild me back and asked me which one was my card and that she would immediately add my ID. She said that most of the cards on here site were from her downline or other demonstrators Cant remember which. So just give her some time, I'm sure she will be more than happy to make the changes.

Stamper Gail
Visit my Blog http://gbinette.blogspot.com/
Old 09-09-2004, 08:09 PM   #75
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

If you don't want it there, please email me. I'll gladly remove it (which is what I say on my site).
Yeah right Kim! It's an honor every time I see one of my cards show up at your website! If it's good enough for your site, I am always excited.
I wasn't on the computer much today and missed the whole topic. I have given some people my permission to post. But I am such a scatterbrain that I wouldn't know who. I know Lorilynn asked, Kim never has to ask.... other then that, as long as it has my name on it...it's an honor really to have cards other people think are good enough to be on their own site! Now if only Stampin' Up! would like my samples better. LOL

I am glad someone contacted Jennifer and it is all being worked out.
Have a great night everyone. Hugs and smiles.

my gallery - my blog
Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 PM   #76
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad she is correcting the problem. Who knows about the when,what, and where she joined?

When you join...you probably fill out all the info you can at that point. Which maybe she did. There is not any proof that she was a regular or not.

So I'm glad she is correcting the problem. Maybe now we can all get busy stampin! And put this behind us. I hope

We have all learned or revisited a valuable lesson today....Stamping is a work of art..that takes time and creativity and heart..so please give credit where credit is due. And I guess that includes personally asking the person if you can post their work...not just assuming it's ok because their name is on it. Because really we don't want our artwork posted on a wierd site even though we are given credit..right? Wouldn't want Clarence on a porno site !!!!

Lets move on and stamp away!!!
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Old 09-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #77
Stampin' Fool

Beate said:
It's an honor every time I see one of my cards show up at your website! If it's good enough for your site, I am always excited.

Well, Miss Beate, it is always an honor to include your work. You know how much I admire you as a person and an artist.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:23 PM   #78
Polyshrink Goddess

Beate, as usual, you are a class act. Your graciousness makes me believe that someday I might have the courage to actually post something on this site. If I did, I would know that it was fair game for anyone. Thanks for comments that bring this whole discussion back to middle ground.
Roberta
Old 09-09-2004, 08:47 PM   #79
Polyshrink Goddess

ok...i took a closer look at the sight, and here is what i noticed...no she does not state on the main page whether or not the artwork is her own origional work or not...HOWEVER if it was truly someone that didn't know any better, there would either be all names, or no names at all. there are quite a few cards that say artist unknown...this leads me to believe that if she was taking the time to put that on some cards, then she knew what she was doing....basically, she didn't think anyone would care, or that it wouldn't be a big deal....i agree that she should have asked...on the other topic of her signing up aug 20th...who would come to this site, and not remember signing up and looking around??!?!? i was hooked the first time i checked it out! also, she's trying to cover herself a little much on here...if it were someone that didn't know or hadn't been around this site...it would have been a tad hard to come across THIS particular page...the title doesn't necessarily give it away...ALSO why did she reply more than once...someone that didn't have a guilty concious would have simply apologized like crazy, and been done...yet, she made sure to come back to see what was said after??some may call that curiosity...but i call it red-handed...i know we are in the "stamping business" but that doesn't mean we have to act like animals....we all CASE things from time to time...whether our creative juices are blocked, or we need a good idea in a hurry, etc...but u should ALWAYS give credit to who made the original...especially if it's verbatim...bad things come back to you...u won't know when, or how...but they do...she'll get hers...i have no sympathy for someone that steals, then lies about stealing...i mean come on...u got caught....it takes a bigger person to admit you've done something wrong...

just my 2 cents...(aren't we up to like 20 bucks by now with everyone's 2 cents??

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #80
Rubber Obsessor

I personally think she stinks!!!

Jennifer, DS is on to you. Your Ebay link led a lot of us to your store and I viewed a few Items that are in Direct conflict with the SU rules. They are busting down on people…..you know that they are, they warned demo’s! Its demos like you that undermine the other demo’s businesses. You should be ashamed of yourself. You portray those cards on your website with out people's permission. As a visitor, one can make the assumption that they are your cards. I hope you are contacted by DS, they have been directed to your eBay store, website, and SU website! I would expect that you should remove all cards that are not your artwork as fast as you can. It’s a good thing skunks cant spray over the net…….
Shame on you!!!!!