Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Newspaper coupons vanishing in your area?

Joanns stopped Newspaper coupon/ sales a few years ago. Now Michaels' only has Sunday newspaper coupon/ sales every 2 or 3 weeks
Is this a trend or just in my area ?

Hobby Lobby still has their coupon/sales in every Sunday paper

The National Brand product coupons have become fewer and fewer, but that is due to so many companies merging it doesn't matter which brand of cereal or cleaning supplies you buy they are now all made by the same few companies .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I think that with diminishing sales of newspapers, companies look elsewhere to advertise. I haven't bought or read a newspaper in over 10 years.
I'm on the email list for Joann, Michaels, HL and others. I like that HL automatically sends the coupon and ad to my phone, too. Joann and Michaels also mail their ads and coupons. Fewer than via email, though.
Joann is the worst (least consistent) for their email ads.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 08:15 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know anyone who buys a paper anymore.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Yes you know some one who buys the paper --- Me
;):lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I get coupons from Michaels, JoAnn and HL in my email at least 1-2 a week, and the Michaels app on my iPhone always has coupons too. No need to check the paper. More convenient too, they just scan your phone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

I get the paper every day and read it with my morning coffee. Because of cost increases I went online only, hated it, and went back to daily newspaper delivery. And my husband must have his Wall Street Journal so we're a 2 paper family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 04:06 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I am wondering this very thing. I just signed up for a subscription for Sunday only newspaper for .50, just for the ads. I don't have money for an expensive cell phone (which is why I like coupons). I hate printing the coupons for "just in case" I can use one, so I prefer to be able to get them from the flyers. I haven't received a craft flyer in the 3 Sundays that the paper came. The newspaper says that there "may" be craft flyers - I am supposed to somehow contact the stores to see IF they are sending flyers to the newspaper.... They said that since Hobby Lobby didn't ask them to put the full-page ad in their paper, that they don't but would like to - apparently this is one of the newspaper's failures - not going out and selling ads!

It used to be that if a person physically went into a store, there would be a flyer to pick up - generally, that's not happening anymore, but Joann's does this from time to time (but without coupons). A couple of times, I have gone into ACMoore for a front page deal, and the customer service gal said that she had no idea about the sale item, nor does she have a flyer! (I have wandered into the "lousy customer service" area.)

I am in upstate NY.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I miss getting the daily paper. We got it for years and I read it over breakfast and did all the puzzles. Then I used it to clean my windows, stuff into wet running shoes (lots of runners in our home which means lots of wet stinky shoes!), as packaging material, for school projects, etc. I cooked the recipes from the Sunday paper and would look in the Thursday paper for the weekend events in our area. The paper was extremely useful to me and my family! The newspaper company stopped delivering to our area in December and I will not read it online. They did have tons of coupons on Sundays, for things I actually used. Flyers were rare, though. Fortunately, our mail delivers the same coupons on Tuesdays along with all the grocery store flyers, so not getting the paper anymore didn't cause me to lose the coupons. I have to say, it is nice not to know all the bad stuff going on in the world, although I miss the puzzles (I bought a big book of crosswords to solve that problem!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get both joanns and Michael coupons in the mail. I am signed up for both of their apps on my phone so that is probably why. I tend to use the digital coupons from my phone...that way I always have one available and don't have to keep the paper ones in my purse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I like getting the paper everyday but in our area it is getting smaller and smaller........nothing better than the morning coffee while reading the newspaper, working the puzzle and then hitting Splitcoast to see what's new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I get the paper everyday and so does my twin. We both enjoy reading the paper as opposed to going online.

We get coupons in our Sunday paper. I glance through them but don't clip food coupons anymore since our local grocery store does them online. That's handy so I don't have to carry them around with me or try to remember them.

It does seem like there's less coupons out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Yes! Barely any coupons in my newspaper anymore :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

we subscribe to the paper. ( and it has doubled its cost in the last 10 years)
and yes, its highly annoying when you do steal time to flip through the coupons and they don't bother to print it, make an ad and tell you to go online and print it yourself?!?!

hello, what am I paying you guys for? lol

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We subscribe to the paper. DH loves his sports, and I enjoy the flyers and coupons. There seems to be more seasonality in advertising than there used to be--fatter papers during holidays and thinner ones during non holidays. I don't have a smart phone and still use paper coupons, so this is dismaying to me.

There's another paper in our area, and I would gladly subscribe to the weekend edition for the coupons--but they don't offer that. You must subscribe to half the week, and it's too much for us to read two papers per day. Surprisingly there are different coupons in the weekend version. My guess is because it's cheaper than the bigger paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default hoot hoot hoot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Yes you know some one who buys the paper --- Me
;):lol:
You cracked me up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Me. Not that we don't read digitally a ton, and have talked about switching our Washington Post subscription to digital only. But there's something about ink and paper... ; )

If I'm going to Michaels, etc., I get the coupon on line and send it to my phone. The other day I used a 40% off coupon, and the woman behind me in line was mad at herself for not having the coupon. I offered to email it to her, but the cashier just asked to scan it again from my phone, nice. : )

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

We get just Sunday delivery. I like getting the grocery coupons, although there are less of those, and they expire quickly. Once in a great while, JoAnn's will have a flyer, Michael's is getting less frequent- used to be every week, but since they started this "rewards" thing, it's maybe every other week, or even every third week. Hobby Lobby still has a weekly ad with coupon. I was able to use both a 60% off and a 55% off at Michael's last week. When they start sending out BIG value coupons, I kind of worry- it feels like they're getting desperate for business. Of course I'm going to USE the big coupons, but it still worries me.

I had almost quit going into JoAnn's, since I dislike going to the mall, but then they built a new one close to me in a strip mall, and they still seem to be carrying the foils, and offering a good discount, so I occasionally go in. I had a Minc I'd never used, because of a faulty laser printer, so when DH replaced the laser printer, I suddenly needed foils for the Minc. (Michael's seems to have discontinued foil some time ago, naturally- when I'm just getting started with it!)

There are still some of us who do not use a cell phone, so I can't coupon like that. (I also can't access my social security online, since they now require a text enabled cell phone for security- THANKS SO MUCH US GOVERNMENT!!!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I dont know. The paper we get has very few coupons. We only get the 3 days of the weekend run and we just dont have time to read it-we already cut back from the daily. And now I have discontinued magazines. I am still working on one over three weeks since I only get to read it while doing wash.

I was just in Michaels and noticed they dont have a physical flyer anymore. Boo! At least print them out from online and post them on a board for pete's sake! You are a freakin craft store! You shoud be able to manage that. (grouch grouch grouch)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I dont know. The paper we get has very few coupons. We only get the 3 days of the weekend run and we just dont have time to read it-we already cut back from the daily. And now I have discontinued magazines. I am still working on one over three weeks since I only get to read it while doing wash.

I was just in Michaels and noticed they dont have a physical flyer anymore. Boo! At least print them out from online and post them on a board for pete's sake! You are a freakin craft store! You shoud be able to manage that. (grouch grouch grouch)
I worked at Michaels back in 2012. We did not have flyers back then for the customers. We told them flyers and coupons were in the Sunday papers or print the coupons from the net.
Reply With Quote Likes