Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Question New to SU what should I order?

Ok, I haven't ordered anything from SU before. A friend of mine is a demo person (is that what they call them?) and needs to order before December. I told her I would place an order but really don't know what I should get.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Because of the timing I don't want to order anything for Christmas.

Any suggestions? What are your must-haves??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Kookie Creator

Everything!!!!! LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. Actually I started with the ink pads or spots and cardstock first. With a few stamp sets in between. When I became a demo is when I really started to focus more on sets and embellishments. I just really liked the quality of the ink pads when I got started. Some I haven't had to reink yet and they are about 4-5 years old. It is pretty much preference and what craft supplies you already have. The gallery here is a must see because that usually helps me decide on a stamp set when I am on the fence about buying it. HTH! Happy Stamping!
-------
Caren
Old 11-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Matboard Maniac

I would start out with any of the beautiful papers. During november you buy three you get one free. Ink Pads are great too!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

I love the color coordination. If you are new to stamping I would start with a set you really like. Everybody is different and then a multi pack of cardstock (best on the market IMO) and a classic ink family to match either spots or if you can the big ones well worth the price. Blender pens to color with And a couple of matching accessories. I usually recommend 2 rolls of ribbon and brads to those who are just getting started. Also a stampin scrub and mist. I can't live without mine. This is a great start and you can add from there.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Ink spots, versamark pad (to make subtle backgrounds), cardstock (multicolor pack), versatile year round set (my first was Sincere Salutations), and a stamp & scrub with mist. You'll enjoy stamping more when you can clean your stamps quickly. Since it's almost Christmas, you may want a Christmas set to make cards or tags for your gifts... have fun!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Chat Box Chick Enabler

I think SU ink (i use classic) and cardstock is the BEST of any I've seen.
I've got the spots, been using them for over 3 years and still going strong! I did get some of the big pads in colors I use a lot of: black, moss, oilve, etc.
Their cardstock quality is superb!!
And LOVE their stamp scrubber!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Matboard Maniac

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

The same things everybody else has said: A stamp set that you like, a set of sayings (birthday, anniversary, thank you, baby, etc.), a pack of a color family of cardstock, inks that go with the paper, VersaMark, and the most important... Whisper white cardstock!

You can use baby wipes to clean your stamps, but I would by the mist and scrub as soon as you can. The adhesive you can buy from Michael's, AC Moore or a store like that with the 40% off coupon.

Another must: a good paper cutter. Buy it the same way as the adhesive.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Mad Swapper

Ink pads, cardstock, and definitely some DSP like PP said - it's buy 3 get one free!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Glitter Queen

also fairly new to SU and would like to order cardstock...which is more recomended, the textured or plain. Is the texture on both sides, much like Bazzill.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by anedView Post
also fairly new to SU and would like to order cardstock...which is more recomended, the textured or plain. Is the texture on both sides, much like Bazzill.
I like both cardstocks for different reasons. The non-textured is a bit heavier than textured. The textured is similar in weight and feel to Bazzill (and the texture is close not the same). It all depends on what kind of look you want as to which cardstock you stamp on. If you want a cleaner looking image, stamp on the regular cardstock. If you want an image that has more texture and depth, stamp on the textured cardstock. Both are great!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Crimping Master

The textured only comes in 12x12.

If you're making greetings cards, I'd suggest the 8.5x11" c/s.

As a demo, I'm really in love with the in colors. What started with, "I'll only pick up a few colors," turned into I now I own them all. They're gorgeous!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Stampin' Fool

sorry if this was already mentioned, but I would buy the SU! markers. They are one of my most used tools and are worth every darn penny I spent on them.

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Old 11-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #13
Stampin' Fool

Well, I guess it depends on how much you have to spend.

I started out with a set of spots, the matching card stock assortment pack, a stamp set and some ribbon.

I now own it all!!!!! Well not quite but my DH thinks I do.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #14
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I agree with everyone. A set of classic ink spots (Rich Regals), matching assorted 8.5x11 cardstock, black ink pad, a versatile stamp set (Baroque Motifs), background stamp (Linen) and word set (Sincere Salutations). But you should be warned, you will end up with everything!!!

My favorite thing to do now is watercolor. I would get blender pens and stazon black ink pad. I really love the watercolor wonder crayons but that is an investment for another time. You can watercolor using the ink spots to start.

Have fun!
Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
Crimping Master

I agree with those who suggested ink pads and that SU has the best ink. I bought my first stamp 7 or so years ago and it's still going. I don't have any refills, and they're still going. I should get some refills though. I bought other brands and they don't close well and of course they get dry or the pads are just awful. The black ink is a must too. I use that a lot.

I bought two ink pads when I started. Then I got really into it and I ended up buying ink by the box. I didn't have a caddy until recently and the boxes kept me organized.

Coordinating papers are nice too, plus for $6 it's reasonable. Then a really nice stamp set and a versatile sentiment unless you have good handwriting. Oh, don't forget good scissors, glue, and cutting board and mat.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Old 11-16-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
Rubber Obsessor

my first order was chalks, blender pen, family set of stamp and write markers, same set of paper, a neutral paper of some sort, black stamp pad and greeting for all reasons. (ok so I am aging myself) I really love the watercolor look and the versitility of being able to paint or write on the cards.

After a while I got really tired of coloring either the paper or the stamp all the time. So I bought actual stamp pads during "Sale a bration". Buy buying the family at that time I got a free stamp set to go with it. I also bought coordinating cardstock at that time. But I still use my markers all the time!

I hope it helps
Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

If you are brand new to stamping, I would consider a starter kit from SU, TAC, or CTMH. All of the starter kits offer a variety of things you need to get started at a good value.

If you have some crafting supplies and basic stamp supplies, I would consider going for the SU in colors, because they are very unique. Get the cardstock, ink pads, some ribbon, and one stamp set. I also recommend the mini binder clips and the satin ribbon in the current mini. I also like their square glue stick a lot. For a stamp set, just pick one you really like and don't worry too much about versatility unless you are on a super strict budget and can't buy more for a while. I'd also look into going straight to EZ mount, which I love because it saves so much space and makes it easier for me to use rubber.

I find I have more options with stamping if I have more cardstock, embellishments, and colors as opposed to more stamps. Maybe it's because I already have so stamps.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
Mad Swapper

Hmmmm....I guess it depend on how much money you have!! When I was new I ordered the darker stamp pads first because you can stamp off making each image lighter. This will give you several color shades from 1 stamp pad.

I thought cardstock is cardstock. Not true at all. You'll see your cards and projects "pop" when you use all SU products simply because they coordinate beautifully.

Why don't you buy one of your favorite Simply Sent kits? That would give you everything you need to start beautiful projects.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #19
Matboard Maniac

FOR SURE - The ticket corner punch! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it and have to work REALLY hard not to use it on EVERY project I make.
Inky Hugs
Risa
Old 11-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #20
Mad Swapper

Stampin Up has some really cute kits that include everything to make a few cards. I really like them since you don't HAVE to spend your time designing something and then you have all the leftovers to continue on with your next order.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Old 11-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Insane Embellisher

I agree with just about everything everyone has said. I like the idea of a set of stampin' spots in your favorite color group, along with a pack of paper in that group and a pack of neutral paper (whisper white would be my choice). I also firmly believe that everyone needs the Basic Black stamp pad and the stamp scrubber.
As for stamp sets, I'll tell you which ones I use most:
Sincere Salutations (that is like a staple for me - a must have). It has a sentiment for every occasion.
I also use Itty Bitty Backgrounds constantly. It's just a great "filler" when a card needs just a little bit of filling in.
I also use the background stamps a lot. My favorites are PRint Pattern and Canvas.
As for image stamps, that all depends on your taste. Consider this though: Do you want line images or solid images? If you get line images, you'll probably feel like you have to color them in. (I'm not particularly fond of coloring, so I go more for solid images). If you do decide to go with a line image so you can color, I recommend getting the black Staz-On inkpad. It won't run if you use the Aqua Painter or the Blender Pens (those are also "staples" IMO).
Some of my favorite sets are Winds of Grace (the sailboat and lighthouse are great for masculine cards), Loads of Love and Loads of Love Accessories, Baroque Motifs, Greetings Galore (a great all-purpose set, and Pick A Petal (just look at the gallery for all the great things you can do with that set (some of them are really out of the box).
OK, 'nuff said. I would write all night and confuse you to no end. Hope I helped instead of adding to your indecisiveness!
Old 11-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #22
Insane Embellisher

I knew nothing about Stampin Up when I first ordered. I started out with a card kit. It had some ink spots, cardstock, envelopes, ribbon, watercolour crayons, instructions, etc. I figured this way I could sample a little bit of everything and actually end up with some finished products without breaking the bank.

I GOT HOOKED and became a demo! Good luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #23
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Lightbulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by netheadredView Post
Ok, I haven't ordered anything from SU before. A friend of mine is a demo person (is that what they call them?) and needs to order before December. I told her I would place an order but really don't know what I should get.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Because of the timing I don't want to order anything for Christmas.

Any suggestions? What are your must-haves??

I would say order the Design Paper It's double sided and very pretty, Plus I think there a sale if you buy 3 you get the 4th of Free.

The stamp set's are awesome! So many stamp set's to choose from.

I really love the Floral Stamp sets. and some of the Christmas sets.

Their Ribbons are very nice too.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

One of the things I love most about Stampin Up! products is the great coordination of colors in papers and inks! Definitely take the advice of those above and start with ink spots and paper in one of the color families.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #25
Rubber Obsessor

My suggestions in addition to others listed:

At least one background stamp - Canvas or Linen or Sanded
Basic Brown or Basic Gray ink pad - a softer look than Basic Black
Two way glue pen
Glitter - Dazzling Diamonds
Embossing powder

I can't be without my Stamp a ma jig!

Have fun with whatever you buy!

See My Gallery
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #26
Inking Addict

It depends on what it is that you would like to do and how much product (if any) you already have. If you are just starting out, I would suggest some Designer Series Paper, a paper cutter if you don't already have one, some SNAIL adhesive and a bone folder. You can make may things using just those supplies. You could also get some color coordinating card stock that matches your Designer Series paper. Perhaps get a stamp set and an ink pad. A stampin' scrub and stampin' mist are great things to have when you stamp as well.

I have some samples using the Designer Series Paper on my blog: www.learntostampandscrap.com if you would like to check them out. Maybe looking at some samples and finding something you would like to do will help you with your choice of what to purchase.

Lynn
Old 11-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

Could your demo friend let you come over to her house and let you play with some of her SU! tools? Maybe do a demo for you? She should be able to guide you in the right direction. I think the kits are pretty good because you have a project in mind. The saddest thing ever is for someone to be excited about stamping, buy a bunch of stuff, and then not use it because they don't know what to do with it.

Good luck ... hopefully your demo can help you out some.

Happy Stampin!
Old 11-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #28
Pearl-ExPert

any of the SIMPLY SENT kits...
SCS Fan Club Member #68691
http://gaylestamps.stampinup.net